Medical School vs. Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siubking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with a BS in biochemistry in May 2005 and I am currently working as a lab technician at a research lab in NYC. Hi I've always wanted to get into medical school but there's a dilemma going on for me to choose between medicine and dentistry and I want some inputs from pre-dental students. Why do you guys choose dentistry but not medicine. If it because it is easier? Less pressure? Less time consuming? More money? Please give me some inputs!
Also does it look bad on the dental school app. if I took MCAT and DAT in the same year? Can the ad com find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Siubking said:
I just graduated with a BS in biochemistry in May 2005 and I am currently working as a lab technician at a research lab in NYC. Hi I've always wanted to get into medical school but there's a dilemma going on for me to choose between medicine and dentistry and I want some inputs from pre-dental students. Why do you guys choose dentistry but not medicine. If it because it is easier? Less pressure? Less time consuming? More money? Please give me some inputs!
Also does it look bad on the dental school app. if I took MCAT and DAT in the same year? Can the ad com find out?

Welcome to the dental forums! Check out those other threads for some good tips. In regards to the MCAT, yes, I believe that you do have to report it if you have taken it. It won't be held against you, although you might be asked about it in some interviews (such as: "So you took the MCAT. What made you want to go into dentistry versus medicine?"). Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
In regards to the MCAT, yes, I believe that you do have to report it if you have taken it. It won't be held against you, although you might be asked about it in some interviews (such as: "So you took the MCAT. What made you want to go into dentistry versus medicine?"). Best of luck!
Is that a new question on the application? Cause when i applied two years ago it just asked if you had applied to or attended any health-related program (i.e. medicine) previous to applying to dentistry. If they do ask about what tests you've taken, just say your girlfriend/boyfriend was taking the MCAT (the material is pretty much the same for dat/mcat) and you went along for emotional support. ;) No biggie.

Also, i seriously doubt that adcoms would waste their time, or have the authority, to find out if you wrote the MCAT. But if they do ask, you shouldn't lie that you took it. Just lie about why you took it. :p

Siubking said:
Why do you guys choose dentistry but not medicine. If it because it is easier? Less pressure? Less time consuming? More money? Please give me some inputs!

Are these the only reasons you can think of for why a person would choose dentistry?

Honestly, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not apply to M-School. If that is always what you wanted, why not go for it. A few more years of residency is not the end of the world, furthermore, you might regret it later on in life, if that is truly what you would have wanted to do all along.

SuperTrooper said:
Is that a new question on the application?...

I can't recall if it is on AADSAS' application, but I do remember that question being on a few of my secondary applications (hence my passive phrasing).

I agree, honesty is the best policy - if asked if you have taken it tell the truth. It's better to be upfront with that kind of information than having to deal with the aftermath if you get caught in a lie.

Siubking said:
Why do you guys choose dentistry but not medicine. If it because it is easier? Less pressure? Less time consuming? More money? Please give me some inputs!

the hours are much better; the pay is not much worse, if not better; easier job; can run your own business and be your own boss more easily; none of that government intervention crap; shorter education; you'll actually be able to have a life

Why do people want to compare Dental School to Medical school on this forum. We see this question once every week. Why we don't see people comparing Dental Vs Medical in Pre-med forum. I have question WHY?

Siubking said:
We are not going to live your life. So, it is best if you just shadow the two professions and make a decision. Personally I think dentistry OWNS medicine, end of story.

Mustt Mustt said:
Why do people want to compare Dental School to Medical school on this forum. We see this question once every week. Why we don't see people comparing Dental Vs Medical in Pre-med forum. I have question WHY?

I asked in the pre-med forum also.

Sprgrover said:
I can't recall if it is on AADSAS' application, but I do remember that question being on a few of my secondary applications (hence my passive phrasing).

I agree, honesty is the best policy - if asked if you have taken it tell the truth. It's better to be upfront with that kind of information than having to deal with the aftermath if you get caught in a lie.

The UCLA secondary asks if you have or are applying to any other health profession schools.

Richnator said:
We are not going to live your life. So, it is best if you just shadow the two professions and make a decision. Personally I think dentistry OWNS medicine, end of story.

What makes you say dentistry owns medicine? Just curious.

Siubking said:

i think most of the reasons you have listed are pure misconceptions. dentistry is easier than med? in fact, the first 2 years are probably going to be more difficult because dental students will need to take a lot of the med school class in addition to taking dental school classes.

less pressure? maybe if your stats were good, then the APPLICATION process will be less pressure since dental school is generally easier to get into than med school is. their average statistics are often lower. if your stats suck, it'll be hard either way so you'll still have the pressure.

less time consuming? i assume you're talking about the actual work upon graduation. i think it's pure ignorance to believe that you can't have a "family" or spend time with them if you are an MD. it really depends on what you do. there are certain areas in medicine that do not require you to be on call and devote every minute of your life to. research it. if you are giving up medicine because you want to be able to spend time with your family...well....that's just ignorant once again.

Mustt Mustt said:

Everyone likes to catogrize and priortize everything......

He's just confused. Listen - you do not have to put that you have taken the mcat, like someone mentioned, but you do have to list that you've applied to other professional schools (and I wouldn't lie about that). I agree that the only way to make this decision is to shadow! This way your decision is based on the work itself rather than the salary, etc. You may walk into a dental office and know right off the bat its not for you, or vice versa. Good luck in whatever you decide!