Medical schools can see your list of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

causalinference

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AMCAS primary was recently processed and I couldn't help but notice that the list of schools that I applied to is at the bottom. I'm assuming that the medical schools who receive my application will be able to see where I applied. Is that correct?

If so, what impact does that have on the admissions process? I am extremely concerned because I applied to both MSTP and regular MD programs, which I expect to raise some eyebrows and possibly decrease my chances for successful admission into an MSTP. At the very least, I expect to be drilled about it during an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

My AMCAS primary was recently processed and I couldn't help but notice that the list of schools that I applied to is at the bottom. I'm assuming that the medical schools who receive my application will be able to see where I applied. Is that correct?

If so, what impact does that have on the admissions process? I am extremely concerned because I applied to both MSTP and regular MD programs, which I expect to raise some eyebrows and possibly decrease my chances for successful admission into an MSTP. At the very least, I expect to be drilled about it during an interview.
No, med schools can't see what schools you applied to until May 1st or something. They do not receive that portion of your AMCAS.

I thought schools couldn't see where else you had applied or been accepted to? Don't take my word for it though, I haven't even applied yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, med schools can't see what schools you applied to until May 1st or something. They do not receive that portion of your AMCAS.

Late in the application cycle, AMCAS medical schools can see what schools you've been accepted to. They will never know what other schools you've applied to unless they ask you, and you tell them at the interview. I think the data about acceptances is available long before May 1, possibly even sometime in March.

No, med schools never see that portion (it says so on the bottom of your verified/submitted AMCAS).

I wish i had known that earlier... i wouldn't have felt so bad during interviews, haha.

I thought schools couldn't see where else you had applied or been accepted to? Don't take my word for it though, I haven't even applied yet.

It was established last cycle that only medical schools that offer you acceptance can see where else you have been accepted (but not where all else you applied). And they do not have access to this information until March 15. This is one reason why you will also not recieve a complete financial offer until the end of March or later (no matter how early you get all the financial forms in).

It was established last cycle that only medical schools that offer you acceptance can see where else you have been accepted (but not where all else you applied). And they do not have access to this information until March 15. This is one reason why you will also not recieve a complete financial offer until the end of March or later (no matter how early you get all the financial forms in).

Yeah I forgot about that detail, they have to accept you to see who else has.

However, around May 15th or so, I'm pretty sure they are allowed to see where you been accepted, regardless of whether they accept YOU first or not. I know for a fact that all the Texas schools share this info around.

However, around May 15th or so, I'm pretty sure they are allowed to see where you been accepted, regardless of whether they accept YOU first or not. I know for a fact that all the Texas schools share this info around.

Hmm. I don't know. That may be worth investigation. OP by May 15th you should have a better idea where you stand for this cycle and you will have already been evaluated by schools without them knowing you applied to 2 programs.

the sneaky ones are they schools that request a copy of your AMCAS as part of your secondary app (ie. Tulane, and one NY school...don't recall)

So then you gotta sit there thinking...do i send my app minus that last page (so that the past page of your packet will say "page 14 of 15" and they'll be wondering what's on that 15th page) or do you just send the whole thing...such games these schools play

in any case, in an interview, you may be asked how many/where you applied...be sure you know WHY you applied to the schools you did

From the AMCAS:

AMCAS said:
4. Designated Medical Schools: The list of your designated medical schools is provided here for your information. The schools to which you apply do not receive such a list of all schools you have designated.

No, they don't know.

However, if for whatever reason you reapply they do have access to certain information. Being accepted to one place and letting go of that acceptance in the hope of catching a bigger fish the next time around will never work since they'll know that's exactly what you did.

Another reason this safeguard is put in place is in case someone matriculated at a school, was dismissed and subsequently lied.