Medical Schools in Awesome Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got to say Charleston, SC is tops on my list, having lived here for the last 5 years (and now the next 4), I love it here. Having said that...cities I also would love to be at are...Denver and Seattle (i'm an avid backpacker, what can I say), Milwaukee, Chicago, San Diego, Boston, and DC. Sorry the only time i've been to LA was flying through.

The one place I would not go to Med School is NYC! Every time I go there I feel so dirty and the fact that it smells like trash and vomit everywhere in Manhattan drives me nuts. Got to give it the best food vote though!
 
OHSU is opening a program in Eugene. College Game Day Show in Eugene tomorrow. ESPN NATIONAL GAME DAY IN EUGENE TOMORROW. CHECK IT OUT.

BTW, that program didn't get funded by the state and will not be going into operation - at least not in the foreseeable future.
 
Milwaukee=America's drunkest city :hardy:

For the most part Milwaukee is really nice. There are a good deal of sketchy areas, but the art museum is AMAZING and there are some awesome restaurants and attractions in downtown. The third ward area is really cute too.

The actual MCW campus, on the other hand, isn't all that great. It's just a bunch of hospital and clinic buildings crammed into one place. It is really close to the zoo though!

Do you want them to put a carnival on campus? Its a med school for goodness sake!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The East Coast Bias once again rears it's ugly head. The fact that Salt Lake City has not been included is outrageous. Hands down the best, and the location of the school is stellar. That's not even including the brand new facilities at the Univ. of Utah that are just awesome. And I guess being 20 mins from the best skiing in the country doesn't count either.

Indy's not bad either


I live in SLC and while the city itself is nice location wise, the people here suck.
 
This thread is hilarious. Obviously, people are going are going to rep the areas they are familiar with. I mean really...Lexington, Salt Lake City, Houston, and Morgantown have been brought up in this thread. I think those are cities only a mother could love, or someone who is just comfortable in those areas and has lived there a good chunk of their lives.

For me, UCSF's location on Parnassus hill is impossible to beat. The views of Golden Gate park, dowtown SF, and the Pacific are amazing (at least when there is no fog). The city itself offers great public transit, all the ammenities of a big city, great diversity of culture, amazing food, close beaches, wine country nearby, year round mild wheather, too many activities to list, and I could go on and on. Of course other cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA can boast similar advantages, but also have characteristics that aren't so good in my mine: NYC has more grunge, crime, cold wheather; Chicago and Boston are almost unlivable for anyone who doesn't like to be an icecycle in the winter; LA is a traffic nightmare (not to mention some "different" cultural aspects). I haven't been to San Diego or Miami, so I can't say anything about them, but I doubt they have the cultural aspects SF does. Anyways this is my opinion and it is just as biased as anyone who thinks Syracuse or Durham are wonderful areas.
 
NYC is the best city guaranteed because it has everything that any other city would have plus more.

My questions is for anyone in NYC, how much do you (or will you) get to enjoy the city while in med school there? The city is ever important, but as an undergrad i dont know how much time there will be to experience it.

as an undergrad you will experience it the most. Especially if you go to NYU, the location is not to be believed. the dorms are amazing. I dont think you will be going clubbing that much as a med student though.
 
Milwaukee=America's drunkest city :hardy:

For the most part Milwaukee is really nice. There are a good deal of sketchy areas, but the art museum is AMAZING and there are some awesome restaurants and attractions in downtown. The third ward area is really cute too.

The actual MCW campus, on the other hand, isn't all that great. It's just a bunch of hospital and clinic buildings crammed into one place. It is really close to the zoo though!

And probably also one of the fattest. In classes you get to hear about the "Milwaukee Tumor" with MAOIs how people shouldn't eat a general "Wisconsin diet" because of tyramine.

However, we do have custard here, and custard is amazing.

I don't really understand what's not that great about the campus? If you want a big college attached to it, don't come here. However, it's a big medical complex, and if you want to just stay in mostly the same area for your rotations, this is a good way, since pretty much every rotation can be done at the medical complex.
 
This thread is hilarious. Obviously, people are going are going to rep the areas they are familiar with. I mean really...Lexington, Salt Lake City, Houston, and Morgantown have been brought up in this thread. I think those are cities only a mother could love, or someone who is just comfortable in those areas and has lived there a good chunk of their lives.

For me, UCSF's location on Parnassus hill is impossible to beat. The views of Golden Gate park, dowtown SF, and the Pacific are amazing (at least when there is no fog). The city itself offers great public transit, all the ammenities of a big city, great diversity of culture, amazing food, close beaches, wine country nearby, year round mild wheather, too many activities to list, and I could go on and on. Of course other cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA can boast similar advantages, but also have characteristics that aren't so good in my mine: NYC has more grunge, crime, cold wheather; Chicago and Boston are almost unlivable for anyone who doesn't like to be an icecycle in the winter; LA is a traffic nightmare (not to mention some "different" cultural aspects). I haven't been to San Diego or Miami, so I can't say anything about them, but I doubt they have the cultural aspects SF does. Anyways this is my opinion and it is just as biased as anyone who thinks Syracuse or Durham are wonderful areas.

The the only real beef I have with Florida in general is the overall lack of culture, even in the big cities...Yeah, I've been to a few operas in Orlando and West Palm Beach and see the occasional theater production...However, I saw more culture in the week I was in Chicago-great museums, Second City and other improv companies, Touring various breweries, city funded concerts, ethnic cuisine and neighborhoods-than the 20+ years I've been living in the Sunshine State...Not to knock my home state...I love having no state income tax, but for the most part people come here to either get away from the greater nucleus of their family, make money and/or die...Oh yeah, and to be the most fair-weather fans in sportsdom...
 
as an undergrad you will experience it the most. Especially if you go to NYU, the location is not to be believed. the dorms are amazing. I dont think you will be going clubbing that much as a med student though.

It really depends on the individual's interests/priorities, time and financial budget. NY is an expensive city if you live on loans...but with a student ID, a lot of cultural events are discounted or free. Clubbing and eating out can be very expensive. I know some people at my school who go out every weekend, and sometimes during the week too! Others once every other week, once a month?? It also depends on the year (see schedule. 🙂 )

NYC is a pretty interesting place. It is there when you have time/energy for it. And, when you don't have time/energy, it doesn't matter where you are...you're at school.
 
The the only real beef I have with Florida in general is the overall lack of culture, even in the big cities...Yeah, I've been to a few operas in Orlando and West Palm Beach and see the occasional theater production...However, I saw more culture in the week I was in Chicago-great museums, Second City and other improv companies, Touring various breweries, city funded concerts, ethnic cuisine and neighborhoods-than the 20+ years I've been living in the Sunshine State...Not to knock my home state...I love having no state income tax, but for the most part people come here to either get away from the greater nucleus of their family, make money and/or die...Oh yeah, and to be the most fair-weather fans in sportsdom...

:laugh:
 
As a student, particularly grad or med when you're not being supported by your parents, NYC sucks. Columbia's med school is up on 167th...the very top of Manhattan, and I'm pretty sure you're required to live in the dorms the first year...there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING up there and everything in the "good" part of the city is an hour away by subway. Around the med school is actually pretty sketchy. There's a ton of homeless and it's getting worse. It's also really dirty and smelly. Visting NYC is WAY WAY WAY WAY different than actually living there. (To test this out, don't use an elevator for a month, only shop at the gas station for food, don't use your car, double or triple the price of every drink and then dilute it by 50%, and only wear black).

Granted, if you have rich parents that are going to give you a healthy allowance, then you might really enjoy the city. But, otherwise, why spend all the money to live in such an expensive city if you're really not going to have the time or money to enjoy it?

I'm not anti-big city either, but I'd take San Francisco any day over NYC.


Just to set the record straight:

First-year meds students are NOT required to live in dorm housing. That said, first year students are GUARENTEED dorm housing if they want it.
The dorm and university apartments have beautiful views of the hudson river and the city, and a small athletic facility (with a pool and squash courts) in the basement. Not a bad life for a student on a budget, considering it is included in the rent. Classes and library are located nearby, so the commute is a few minute walk.

There are some good restaurants in the neighborhood, and the beautiful cloisters (the medieval collection of the Met) located about a mile and a half away (which I routinely walk to and feel safe).

It is an expensive place to live and going out can be expensive...but it does not have to be prohibitively expensive. I do not have family who supplement my loans, and I feel that I can enjoy a lot of what the city has to offer. (Then again, I don't go out clubbing every weekend.)

I feel safe in my neighborhood. You just have to be aware of yourself (that is body language, swinging around your cellphone and iPod) and your surroundings, just as you would in any large city.

There is an express train that (for $2; the station is a 5 minute walk from the dorm/apartments) takes you down to columbus circle in about 20 minutes. Not bad.

I did not grow up here (so it is not that I am just accustomed to the sights/smells/ and potential inconveniences of city-living). This is a great school, with great people, in a great city. It is definitely not for everyone, but I love it here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Top 3

NYC>LA>Chicago

Well, I've lived in LA for three years, NYC for three years and Chicago for four years. All three are great cities. However, if you're not from these cities, have no family there and are contemplating medical schools there:

For LA, there's some serious culture shock, and it takes some getting used to. I hated LA my first two years, and then learned to love it my third. It's definitely an acquired taste (especially if you're not in the entertainment industry), but I'd more than happily move back to LA for medical school. It's got amazing weather, great restaurants, style, culture, etc. However, for those who want the nice weather and California lifestyle, but can do without the shallow-superficial culture and media-obsessed environment, SF would be a better city (too bad the number and accesibility of medical schools there is so low).

For NYC, it's a grand time at first, but the ridiculous cost of living, impersonal atmosphere (I passed out on a full subway for three stops before anyone asked if I was ok or needed a seat) and non-stop lifestyle does take its toll. After about two years I was burning out and found I enjoyed leaving the city for the weekends more than staying, and by year three I was beyond ready to get out. In fact, while I still think NYC is a fantastic place, it's not necessarily the best for lifestyle overall. And living in NYC on a student budget can be done, but I imagine it would be pretty painful. At the same time, I'm sure it's nice to have so much to do when you do get a break or want to let off some steam. Much like living in New Orleans, you just have to be good about balance, and not overdo it.

For Chicago, the lifestyle, cost of living and people are great, but it doesn't have the amazing variety or sizzling energy of NYC, and the harsh winters are a huge negative when compared with LA. But I do think it would make an excellent city to go to medical school in, or to live in in general.

Anyway, that's my three cents on those cities.
 
And the worst insult the fans in the United Center can come up with whenever the Wings or Pistons are in town is: "Detroit sucks!" Good one Chicago people, good one.


I am going to have to say Chicago, but you can blame that on my bias. Also, I would like to go to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, or Madison. They are all wonderful places. As to the "Detroit Sucks," I am afraid that because the wings and pistons seem always to dominate the hawks and bulls we have to resort to name calling🙂.
 
Sorry Chicago, I don't think anyone hates the Pistons more than us Heat fans...After his monster game the other day, I'm thinking of making a [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Tayshaun Prince effigy to go w/ my Rasheed and Chauncey Billups ones...

...either that or burning down the Palace (I'm still bitter about that '05 Game 7)
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
 
Just to set the record straight:

First-year meds students are NOT required to live in dorm housing. That said, first year students are GUARENTEED dorm housing if they want it.
The dorm and university apartments have beautiful views of the hudson river and the city, and a small athletic facility (with a pool and squash courts) in the basement. Not a bad life for a student on a budget, considering it is included in the rent. Classes and library are located nearby, so the commute is a few minute walk.

There are some good restaurants in the neighborhood, and the beautiful cloisters (the medieval collection of the Met) located about a mile and a half away (which I routinely walk to and feel safe).

It is an expensive place to live and going out can be expensive...but it does not have to be prohibitively expensive. I do not have family who supplement my loans, and I feel that I can enjoy a lot of what the city has to offer. (Then again, I don't go out clubbing every weekend.)

I feel safe in my neighborhood. You just have to be aware of yourself (that is body language, swinging around your cellphone and iPod) and your surroundings, just as you would in any large city.

There is an express train that (for $2; the station is a 5 minute walk from the dorm/apartments) takes you down to columbus circle in about 20 minutes. Not bad.

I did not grow up here (so it is not that I am just accustomed to the sights/smells/ and potential inconveniences of city-living). This is a great school, with great people, in a great city. It is definitely not for everyone, but I love it here.

I worked there for 5 years, a beautiful view is about the only nice thing about those apartments. For NY, it's not horrible but if you compare it to pretty much anywhere else...it sucks. Cornell is at least close to things in the city...the Columbia Med school is way out there and near nothing. There are very few restuarants in the area and a mile and a half in NYC isn't exactly what I'd consider nearby.

In terms of safety, I WOULD NOT walk around the medical campus late at night, especially if I were female. The regular Columbia campus is pretty safe because of all the students around at all hours, but up at the medical campus, I rarely saw people walking around in the evening and most people I knew would go downtown if they wanted to go out and take taxi's home rather than walk through the sketchy subway late at night.

Yes, there are good things to see and do in NYC, but as a med student it's a giant waste because you barely have the time or money to take advantage of it and at Columbia, you're not even close to it. Aside from the new children's hospital, the hospital portion is pretty grungy too compared to the other locations I've seen.

It's a great place to visit but I never want to live there again.
 
Florida does have nice weather! No matter what city you're in, you're close to a beach.

Dallas has nice weather and the city is beautiful as well.
 
I know I'm a little bit biased... but, Dallas is a beautiful beautiful city. There's so much to do, and I feel that it is very underrated. In my opinion it's kind of like a mini NYC minus the ridiculous rush & crowdedness. Yes, there are bad parts of the city just as there is anywhere, BUT for the most part it's stunning. We don't have beaches (quite obviously)... but it's still amazing. 😀 The majestic theatre is personally my favorite place 🙂 I love the nightlife here.

Dallas_Skyline_01.jpg



BUT, my favorite city in all of America has got to be San Diego. It's just stunning. If you've never been to California and have only seen it on TV... it's pretty much exactly like that. Palm trees everywhere, beaches that are so breath-taking and easily accessible. IF I could live there I would, in a heartbeat.
ucsd.jpg

This is the beach right off of UCSD. Ahh I WISH! lol
 
LA is a **** hole... Some of the worst air quality in the country, housing market which can rival NYC, plus the beach is on the wrong side...

Midwestern cities, especially in school seem to be the best. I'm in Minneapolis/St. Paul right now, and I love it. Reasonable cost of living, clean environment, tons of things to do- more theatres per capita than any other city in the country, lots of things to do outdoors, great restaurants.
Hahahaha... But lets get real though, there is no comparing St. Paul to LA.
 
seattle or boston. if you can handle the cost.


I live in the pacific northwest now and I must say one of the most frequently overlooked factors is the vibrant craftbrewing culture. If you like your beer dark and your air clean, there's no better corner of america.
 
Hahahaha... But lets get real though, there is no comparing St. Paul to LA.

well it's not as if LA's urban life is anything to brag about. Downtown LA is tiny for a city/region of its size. The rest of the city is just old sprawl and traffic. Plus, I'm not sure I want to live in a city where the price of a tent on a postage stamp sized piece of land would buy me a six bedroom lakeside mansion in the midwest.

Can't argue with the weather though
 
seattle or boston. if you can handle the cost.


I live in the pacific northwest now and I must say one of the most frequently overlooked factors is the vibrant craftbrewing culture. If you like your beer dark and your air clean, there's no better corner of america.

If it weren't for Grunge, Suicide and Homeless people I would move to Seattle, or Portland for that matter, in a heartbeat...a buddy of mine brought me back some Elysian, Elliott Bay and Pacific Rim for me to try, Huzzah, that is some damned good brewski...I distinctly remember the 'Jolly Roger' ale being the t!ts

The only place that beats it, personally, is the Goose Island Brewery in Chicago...The one called 'Perjac' may be the single greatest beer I've ever had the pleasure of imbibing😍
 
I agree w/ Ebuff. The ratio of trashing other cities to giving opinions of "great" cities is almost 1.


While I am here, Chi-town for the win!
 
yeaaaaaaa.... BOSTON! HANDS DOWN!

Red Sox, Food, All kinds of weather, Great Hospitals, Good public transportation, Fairly safe (if you're not a stupid homie thug G) etc... I could go on but you get the point. Bean Town Baby! 👍👍👍👍👍
 
yeaaaaaaa.... BOSTON! HANDS DOWN!

Red Sox, Food, All kinds of weather, Great Hospitals, Good public transportation, Fairly safe (if you're not a stupid homie thug G) etc... I could go on but you get the point. Bean Town Baby! 👍👍👍👍👍

Boston is great, its just incredibly expensive unless you live in the Commons.
 
The East Coast Bias once again rears it's ugly head. The fact that Salt Lake City has not been included is outrageous. Hands down the best, and the location of the school is stellar. That's not even including the brand new facilities at the Univ. of Utah that are just awesome. And I guess being 20 mins from the best skiing in the country doesn't count either.

Indy's not bad either

I'm a slc'er aswell. SLC is AMAZING geographically. Especially if you're an outdoorsy person. However, I think its rather dismal culturally.
 
Hmm.. my experience has been completely different (then again I've never lived there). How are the people so "suck[y]"? They've always been extremely cordial to me. Even random people on the street or the train getting into a deep discussion with you just to be friendly

Mormon culture permiates society. Not a whole lot of diversity. I've always felt like it would be a great place to live once youre established, but not when you're of college age. The U of U is a large impersonal commuter school with little spirit. Skiing and other outdoor opportunities are unparalleled. It's very pretty aswell. I guess it just depends on what you're in to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Milwaukee.

I heard the cheese and beer is good.

Their freakin baseball team is the "Brewers" so the beer has got to be somthing special!

The beer is good. The cheese is overrated. Downtown Milwaukee is really a great place, but the other 94% of the city is a lawless drunken ghetto. Everything south of the university and close to the water is awesome, but even one block north of campus gets trashy real fast. Don't worry though, if you were living there and going to school you would probably never experience the bad parts of town.
 
I live in the pacific northwest now and I must say one of the most frequently overlooked factors is the vibrant craftbrewing culture. If you like your beer dark and your air clean, there's no better corner of america.

Wooo, yeah. I hope I get into UW.