Medical schoool/ major / post bacc advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazzyboy786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am totally new to this forum and have a question regarding medical school.

I am a currently a junior biology major minoring in chemistry. I have just changed my major and transferred schools as I was at a cal state and was not getting courses etc.

I was previously a premed poli sci major (people have told me I can major in anything and still go to medical school and my second passion besides medicine is history and political science.)

Now, I am at a private college practically starting over as a freshman (courses wise). My GPA from polis ci was a 3.9. I have not taken any science classes until now. This first semester as a bio major I got mostly Cs but will definitely improve.

I know it will take me around 4 years to graduate with my new major but 2-3 years with poli sci then add on a 2 year post bacc. I was just wondering if I should stick with my major or change back to poli sci?

Also how effective and/or better are post baccs for getting into medical school and are there ones for people who are non-science majors? I know they are mainly for GPA and competitive boosters but that’s about it.

And any general help to get into med school is also much appreciated. (Also thinking about DO school besides traditional MD schools). I know I have made mistakes along the way but I am trying to scramble and get back on the right path. I am getting very involved in school, joining clubs, volunteering, sports etc because I know all that helps too.

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

post that in the preallo forum. they are closer to med admissions and will know how to better advise you

Alright. Thank you so much. I posted it here because I am also very interested in DO besides MD

Members don't see this ad :)
These programs are definitely for on science majors too, I would say that these programs are primarily for students who were not pre med in college. If money is no issue, I would pursue your political science degree, you won't get a chance to do this again. Keep in mind that pre med post bac programs are pricey...look up the specifics :)

Hey guys,

I am totally new to this forum and have a question regarding medical school.

I am a currently a junior biology major minoring in chemistry. I have just changed my major and transferred schools as I was at a cal state and was not getting courses etc.

I was previously a premed poli sci major (people have told me I can major in anything and still go to medical school and my second passion besides medicine is history and political science.)

Now, I am at a private college practically starting over as a freshman (courses wise). My GPA from polis ci was a 3.9. I have not taken any science classes until now. This first semester as a bio major I got mostly Cs but will definitely improve.

I know it will take me around 4 years to graduate with my new major but 2-3 years with poli sci then add on a 2 year post bacc. I was just wondering if I should stick with my major or change back to poli sci?

Also how effective and/or better are post baccs for getting into medical school and are there ones for people who are non-science majors? I know they are mainly for GPA and competitive boosters but that’s about it.

And any general help to get into med school is also much appreciated. (Also thinking about DO school besides traditional MD schools). I know I have made mistakes along the way but I am trying to scramble and get back on the right path. I am getting very involved in school, joining clubs, volunteering, sports etc because I know all that helps too.

Thank you so much

Hi there....I'm a non-science major who did a post bac to do my pre-reqs. I majored in psychology. I'm currently applying to medical school and was accepted really early in the cycle with more interviews lined up. Its possible to get into medical school as a career changers. People do it all the time now. One of my future classmates is also a career changer coming from a post bac.

If you have a question, please feel free to PM me.