Medical Scribing and Improving Typing Speed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajohnson349

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in serious need of advice and assistance with improving my typing speed as a medical scribe. I have taken so many typing tests and my ability to type individually is approximately 70 wpm, but when dictation is thrown into the mix, I drop down to 30 wpm or less. I am at a loss for what else I can do, as none of the typing sites I have tried have been very helpful. Are there any current or former medical scribes who have found ways to improve their dictation typing speeds? What webinars or classes are available (I have had no luck finding any)? Which sites were most helpful? My chief scribe informed me that she would like me to try improving in at least 30 days to get by speed up to 65 wpm when dictation is involved. For a bit of background, I was in the unfortunate generation who was never introduced to typing practice in elementary/middle school. I am not able to use home row, try as I might; although, I do have a hybrid version of it. I mostly use my index, middle and pinky fingers when typing. PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't focus on typing what they say verbatim, that wastes time. Instead of writing "Bob went to the park the other day" you could write "bob, park, other day" for example. Take note of the important things you might forget like the physical, medication/disease names, lab results, then add all the filler words later. Everything else you should have prefilled. With practice and working with the same provider for some time, you'll get used to their note style and you could probably complete most of their note.

When it comes to typing, you just have to practice and with time you'll improve.

Reactions: 1 users
What electronic medical record system do you use? Is there some sort of autocorrect function that you can modify?

For my scribes, we train them to create autocorrects to increase their speed (e.g. typing "pt" autocorrects to patient, p=pain, nvd= nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, rlq=right lower quadrant, pye=pyelonephritis, and several hundred more). Using and learning autocorrect short cuts like that helps even our slowest scribes hit 80+ effective WPM, and some of our fastest are in the 150+ effective WPM range. I have a few autocorrects that are even entire sentences - ep (standing for "end phrase) autocorrects to "The patient's questions were solicited and answered. I discussed the plan for follow up with the patient. They were instructed to return for any new or worsening symptoms and discharged in stable condition." That way in three key strokes (e+p+space), I've typed out three sentences that are common in provider dictations. If the provider didn't say one of those sentences, then it is much quicker to delete it, even on the fly, then it is to just type the other two sentences.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What electronic medical record system do you use? Is there some sort of autocorrect function that you can modify?

For my scribes, we train them to create autocorrects to increase their speed (e.g. typing "pt" autocorrects to patient, p=pain, nvd= nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, rlq=right lower quadrant, pye=pyelonephritis, and several hundred more). Using and learning autocorrect short cuts like that helps even our slowest scribes hit 80+ effective WPM, and some of our fastest are in the 150+ effective WPM range. I have a few autocorrects that are even entire sentences - ep (standing for "end phrase) autocorrects to "The patient's questions were solicited and answered. I discussed the plan for follow up with the patient. They were instructed to return for any new or worsening symptoms and discharged in stable condition." That way in three key strokes (e+p+space), I've typed out three sentences that are common in provider dictations. If the provider didn't say one of those sentences, then it is much quicker to delete it, even on the fly, then it is to just type the other two sentences.

We use the Epic EMR, and there are dot phrases that I can use per the physicians' preferences. I have some autocorrects, but none for full sentences.

So, there are multiple things you can do, but the best thing you can do long term is to break your bad habit. You need to learn how to type properly or else you’re in for a life long career of whatever you are feeling currently. It will be hard at first but you need to be using all ten fingers on a keyboard

Reactions: 1 user