irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I just started a medical scribing job for my gap year but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. I started the job after I already submitted all of my secondaries so I feel it'll only help if it's brought up during interviews. I'm also not sure if it's as helpful as volunteering in the hospital, since the scribes almost never talk to the patients (and rarely even talk to the doctors they follow around). When I volunteered all I did was talk to patients and their loved ones, asking them what they needed and bringing it to them, helping them to the bathroom or into wheelchairs, etc. That was way more fulfilling to me than medical scribing. However, I feel like scribing will be very helpful because I have to learn a ton of medical concepts such as diagnoses, medications and procedures when writing up the patients' charts, which I feel would provide me a preview of the material for medical school. and for what it's worth, scribing is paid. Overall though, which would be seen as a bigger deal by adcoms? Or are they both pretty much weighed equally and would it not matter which one I choose in their eyes? I've also done a lot of clinical volunteering already (500+ hours) so I'm not sure if continuing it would be a good idea.

Last edited:

Smelt

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I know some state schools like scribing alot. Also, you might not speak to patients but you learn a ton from scribing since physicians are basically required to tell you what's going on. Everyone that I've spoken to who has scribed and gone on into medical school has said it's helpful in getting you familiar with some amount of medical knowledge. Obviously, it also depends how much effort you put in and google things while you're working

Reactions: ADSigMel and LibBum
OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I know some state schools like scribing alot. Also, you might not speak to patients but you learn a ton from scribing since physicians are basically required to tell you what's going on. Everyone that I've spoken to who has scribed and gone on into medical school has said it's helpful in getting you familiar with some amount of medical knowledge. Obviously, it also depends how much effort you put in and google things while you're working
Which state schools exactly? I live in Michigan so I'm not sure if it would help in my case.

About the Ads

Smelt

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Which state schools exactly? I live in Michigan so I'm not sure if it would help in my case.
I know some of the Texas ones do. A&M specifically asks for amount of scribing hours in their secondary. Obviously hard to judge how much weight it actually has though

minimebulldog23

2+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
my .02 cents do what you enjoy. I scribed for about 9 months and did not enjoy it. I chose to focus my time volunteering at an elderly center which I truly enjoy.

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
my .02 cents do what you enjoy. I scribed for about 9 months and did not enjoy it. I chose to focus my time volunteering at an elderly center which I truly enjoy.
But do you think medical schools generally favor one over the other? Like you I also enjoy volunteering way more.

Smelt

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
But do you think medical schools generally favor one over the other? Like you I also enjoy volunteering way more.
If you like volunteering way more and don't need the money, stick with volunteering as long as you have some healthcare experience working with doctors

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If you like volunteering way more and don't need the money, stick with volunteering as long as you have some healthcare experience working with doctors
So you'd say that both are pretty much weighed equally by adcoms? Really the only reason I'm doing it is because I was under the impression that scribing was looked at more favorably, since it's more medically concentrated and involves learning medical concepts like medications, treatments, diagnoses, etc.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2017
The Commonwealth
Status
Pre-Medical
You already have your clinical hours, so definitely scribe. It's another great (I personally believe superior) point of view - and another activity for your AMCAS. Think about how all this will look on paper.

Eskibot

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
So you'd say that both are pretty much weighed equally by adcoms? Really the only reason I'm doing it is because I was under the impression that scribing was looked at more favorably, since it's more medically concentrated and involves learning medical concepts like medications, treatments, diagnoses, etc.
I talked with someone from admissions face to face at a state school. I asked her what she would prefer her candidates do if they could only do 1 thing as far aa clinical experience and she said scribing. For the same reason you stated, learn medical term, lab meanings, diagnosis, ect, and actually getting to learn the MDM process of a doctor, which you are trying to be.

Just because youre scribing now doesnt mean you cant keep your volunteer if you dont have school to worry about. You could always just stick it out for a few months since scribing hours can rack up pretty fast depending on how much you work

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
It literally isn't going to be a part of your application either way.

OP
I

irishking33

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You already have your clinical hours, so definitely scribe. It's another great (I personally believe superior) point of view - and another activity for your AMCAS. Think about how all this will look on paper.
I already submitted my AMCAS and all my secondaries before starting the job, so would it even make a difference?

Last edited:

Smelt

2+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
To be honest I said that because in the grand scheme, unless you're really missing volunteer hours or clinical experience, it probably won't have a big impact either way. Do what you like. Maybe do scribing part time?

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2017
The Commonwealth
Status
Pre-Medical
I already submitted my AMCAS and all my secondaries before starting the job, so would it even make a difference?
You don't want to be asked "what are you doing now?" and say "nothing" or "uh uh uh duh uh uh i mean like uuuuuhhhhhhhh." (What I would probably say)

To be honest I said that because in the grand scheme, unless you're really missing volunteer hours or clinical experience, it probably won't have a big impact either way. Do what you like. Maybe do scribing part time?
Agreed. I mean really, compared to other entry level jobs for extra cash, scribing is a pretty good gig, impressing med schools aside.

About the Ads