medical specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHUT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for comparitive information regarding the various medical specialties in terms of

#1 competitiveness

and

#2 lifestyle

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mother's an anesthesiologist, and I'd say that being an anesthesiologist is SUPER STRESSFUL! When she's at home all she does is sleep (haha! how appropriate). Competitiveness? I guess it's fairly competitive. Maybe less competitive this decade cos they're prone to being sued.

hedera916 said:
My mother's an anesthesiologist, and I'd say that being an anesthesiologist is SUPER STRESSFUL! When she's at home all she does is sleep (haha! how appropriate). Competitiveness? I guess it's fairly competitive. Maybe less competitive this decade cos they're prone to being sued.

How stressful is anesthesiology? Most of the posts on SDN always talk about how cush anesthesiology is. I can see how a patient crashing could be stressful. Anyone else have any background on this?

MechE said:
How stressful is anesthesiology? Most of the posts on SDN always talk about how cush anesthesiology is. I can see how a patient crashing could be stressful. Anyone else have any background on this?
The cush part is in regard to hrs and money. The job itseft requires a tremendous amount of knowlege and can be quite stressful.

^Well put. It's the job itself that's stressful...also, whenever patients have complications a lot of people automatically think..."it must have been the anesthesia..."

Anyways, I know I'm definitely not an operating room person!