Medical Student Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabujabu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at profiles of people applying to various residencies, it seems as if they have many publications. However, it is hard for me to imagine how there is much time for substantial research given the pace of med school. However, most of my prior experience has been with basic science research, which takes a long time. I do not know much about clinical research, but I have heard that chart reviews, case reports, and the like take much less time than basic science research and constitute a large portion of these publications. What exactly are these projects and how do medical students get involved in them? Is clinical experience necessary in order to do this kind of work? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most research in med school is of the clinical type - you're right, there just isn't enough dedicated time to do true basic science research.

I did research the summer after my MS-I year, and then projects throughout my MS-III and MS-IV years. I ended up with a poster, a regional meeting presentation, and two publications.

I agree that the vast majority of those publications aren't basic science. This gives you an excellent opportunity to stand out if you can publish some legitimate basic science. I think during second year there is adequate time to do research. I personally spent my ms1 summer doing research and during ms2 I went to a few hours of class in the morning then spent every afternoon in lab. So I got 80's instead of 90's in my classes and didn't see the sun much, but it's worth the opportunity to write a real paper. Make sure you take things seriously come boards tho, thats what counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Also, I have one additional question, does it matter what field your research is in, as I have no idea what field I would like to go into?

Thanks for the replies. Also, I have one additional question, does it matter what field your research is in, as I have no idea what field I would like to go into?

I would do research in the most competitive field you think may have any interest in. It's easier to switch down than to switch up in terms of competitiveness.

I did the vast majority of my research at the end of 3rd year and during 4th year. We can schedule several research elective months here. And all of my research was clinical.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at profiles of people applying to various residencies, it seems as if they have many publications. However, it is hard for me to imagine how there is much time for substantial research given the pace of med school. However, most of my prior experience has been with basic science research, which takes a long time. I do not know much about clinical research, but I have heard that chart reviews, case reports, and the like take much less time than basic science research and constitute a large portion of these publications. What exactly are these projects and how do medical students get involved in them? Is clinical experience necessary in order to do this kind of work? Thanks!

To answer the question, how do I get involved in clinical research, I would seriously recommend finding a resident or senior student who is interested in whatever field you are interested in, go and have a good long talk about what kind of projects there are available to students like you and WHO would be the best person to work with.

I had a pub and a couple posters from basic science (1 pub, 1 poster undergrad, and 1 poster from MS1 summer) which were a ton of work and won't end up helping me much in the end because they are from totally unrelated fields. However, I did what I described above, met with a resident I knew and he sent me in the direction of a good attending. I didn't actually start my chart review until about Feb. and I only had my "free time" (hah, as if there is any during the 3rd year) and now I have a poster and a first author pub in the field I'm headed for. Not to mention letters from the faculty in the department who know me all that much better because I've been around a lot longer than just my 1 month rotation.

I was also wondering about the same issue. I(MS1) would like to start research as well, but I'm not sure what field I would like to enter in the future. Should I just do some basic science research for now and leave the clinicals for 3rd and 4th years?

I was also wondering about the same issue. I(MS1) would like to start research as well, but I'm not sure what field I would like to enter in the future. Should I just do some basic science research for now and leave the clinicals for 3rd and 4th years?

I would do research in the most competitive field you think may have any interest in. It's easier to switch down than to switch up in terms of competitiveness.
Or you could do a project regarding a disease process that touches on many fields - hypertension, diabetes, cancer.

Or you could do a project regarding a disease process that touches on many fields - hypertension, diabetes, cancer.

Haha, perhaps someone can find a fabled dermatoradiophthalmology project.

I think that's a great suggestion. A lot of the "outcomes/diagnosis" type studies are great for this. For example, if you do a study following the outcomes of people who come to the hospital with a PE. That's a topic that would be interesting to general medicine/pulmonary people of course, but also ED (how they present to the hospital) and radiology (imaging modalities used to identify it).

Haha, perhaps someone can find a fabled dermatoradiophthalmology project.
And the answer is...imaging eye-like growths of the skin...in anesthetized* patients.

*You forgot that dermanesthoradiopthamologous projects are much more competitive for residencies than simple dermatoradiophthalmology projects! :laugh:

I think that's a great suggestion. A lot of the "outcomes/diagnosis" type studies are great for this. For example, if you do a study following the outcomes of people who come to the hospital with a PE. That's a topic that would be interesting to general medicine/pulmonary people of course, but also ED (how they present to the hospital) and radiology (imaging modalities used to identify it).
I would argue that HTN touches on even more fields than you've suggested. If you tossed in a few microscope studies, it would extend to path.

It works for basic science too. A guy I know is working with endothelial cells and their response to inflammation. Can you get more general and far-reaching?

I am currently balancing the basic science lab work with school, it gets hectic at times but is doable, scheduling is the key. Also setting up your project before starting MS2 in the summer helped alot. My PI is understanding that school is first priority. It can be done, and no I am not the brightest bulb in the batch.

there are 2 good opportunities to do research in med school (at least my med school, and i think probably most of them). the first is the summer between 1st and 2nd years. the second is during the beginning of 4th year. at most schools you can arrange research months to do projects and get pubs; this is esp. true for the competetive fields and is what most of my classmates have done. you can also do case report publications based on interesting things you see during your rotations. sometimes attendings suggest this and sometimes you have to ask if there are projects you can help with. the typical thing that happens is... pick a field --> realize you should have pubs in that field --> scramble to get a project/research rotation as 4th year begins --> get one and submit something before apps are due.

I am currently balancing the basic science lab work with school, it gets hectic at times but is doable, scheduling is the key. Also setting up your project before starting MS2 in the summer helped alot. My PI is understanding that school is first priority. It can be done, and no I am not the brightest bulb in the batch.

Exactly what I'm doing. Except its DIFFICULT! specially, if it is technical difficulties that I have to solve on a daily basis. meaning, i do alot of engineering based stuff (programming, circuits, hybrid microscope)

I don't think the stuff i'm doing will yield or analyse significant data...but I sure hope I set it up so well that it is impressive

I guess what I'm saying is, my goal is publication - but honestly, I think if I could spin this research as a very unique endeavor ( an I believe mine is unique because there are no test tubes, drugs, gels or whatever! its alot of MATH!) then I hope residencies will take notice...may be...please? lol

oh and ppl like pinkertinkle are just amazing! publication in 8-9 months in M2 year in basic science...like wow