Medical Student Research Year options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joyful2919

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to take a research year from a low tier medical school and wanted to know the best option for me.
In general what would be a wiser decision

Research year at top dermatology program with 10+ publications (clinical research)
Research year at mid tier dermatology program with ~5 publications (clinical research)
Research year at top dermatology program with ~5 publications (translational research)
Research year at low tier dermatology program with ~2 publications (basic science)

Basically I wanted to get an opinion on whether I should aim for getting the most productive research year in hopes of being a good applicant for many dermatology programs or aim for getting a few basic science publications with lower tier medical school and building a relationship with them.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am looking to take a research year from a low tier medical school and wanted to know the best option for me.
In general what would be a wiser decision

Research year at top dermatology program with 10+ publications (clinical research)
Research year at mid tier dermatology program with ~5 publications (clinical research)
Research year at top dermatology program with ~5 publications (translational research)
Research year at low tier dermatology program with ~2 publications (basic science)

Basically I wanted to get an opinion on whether I should aim for getting the most productive research year in hopes of being a good applicant for many dermatology programs or aim for getting a few basic science publications with lower tier medical school and building a relationship with them.

Option 1, aim high.

The one exception is if your home program has a research year. I might make an exception there and pursue that since your odds of matching will always be highest at your home program (assuming they don't go out of their way to not take home applicants and assuming you haven't rubbed anyone the wrong way)

Otherwise, I'd pick the most prestigious programs that can offer the highest rate of publication. It will open the most doors for you. You can drive yourself crazy with all these permutations. Some people prefer clinical research vs basic research vs translational research. Some people think about gaming the system by "getting in" with the right people at a "lower tier" program. It might work for a select few but in general, I don't think you can ever go wrong by selecting the busiest and most prestigious program.

Good luck!

Option 1, aim high.

The one exception is if your home program has a research year. I might make an exception there and pursue that since your odds of matching will always be highest at your home program (assuming they don't go out of their way to not take home applicants and assuming you haven't rubbed anyone the wrong way)

Otherwise, I'd pick the most prestigious programs that can offer the highest rate of publication. It will open the most doors for you. You can drive yourself crazy with all these permutations. Some people prefer clinical research vs basic research vs translational research. Some people think about gaming the system by "getting in" with the right people at a "lower tier" program. It might work for a select few but in general, I don't think you can ever go wrong by selecting the busiest and most prestigious program.

Good luck!

I am a little torn between the top tier clinical research program vs the top tier translational science program because the clinical one has a more newer faculty member with guaranteed publications whereas the translational one is more self directed and limited to a few publications, but has a well established faculty member and I have heard that connections and who you do research with has a big weight.

I am a little torn between the top tier clinical research program vs the top tier translational science program because the clinical one has a more newer faculty member with guaranteed publications whereas the translational one is more self directed and limited to a few publications, but has a well established faculty member and I have heard that connections and who you do research with has a big weight.

Don't do basic science unless you want to a be a basic scientist. People see through this and it's only increasing your chances at a single program.

I'd agree with asmallchild and go with #1 (or #3), though the exact number of publications is probably less important than the specific mentor. Are they well known? Are they invested in you? Do you see them as someone who would be your advocate? Do you like this person? I'd say the latter attributes are probably more important in the long run than getting 10 publications over 5 publications.