Medical Student Resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuteaggression

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to update my resume as an MS1, and I was wondering what undergraduate activities are relevant, if any. I would assume that my work experience and skills are relevant, but what about other things (e.g., volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you're talking about the use of a resume for minor/part-time job positions before residency but while in medical school. Personally, I left out shadowing but kept in volunteering + research. I also trimmed some other stuff that I felt only med schools care about.

Especially for traditional students, I don't think your employer audience (e.g. school library, test prep company) expects a whole lot more than a Bachelor's and maybe a bit of relevant work experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the above - wouldn't include things like shadowing but I would include things that are relevant and demonstrate things like ability to work on a team, leadership, etc... Of course, it depends on the context - sometimes ECs are relevant in a professional context and sometimes they're not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kept college athletics and research only. When applying to research positions I expanded my research section and added tutoring/TA stuff from undergrad when applying to those types of positions.

Reactions: 2 users
At this point, you should really be keeping an updated CV instead of a resume. There are some differences and your school will hopefully offer some guidance or have some support to help you get yours nice and polished. Update it every 3-6 months so you don't forget things you did. As to your question: shadowing no, but everything else yes.

Very basically, your CV should include:

Name and CURRENT contact information

Education (after high school), including your MD (just put the year you'll get it, don't say "expected;" people know what year it currently is). Include any greek honors (cum laude, etc).

Honors and Awards - major scholarships, awards, eagle scout, etc. -- any kind of recognition that you can slap a name on, put it there

Professional/work experience -- every job you've had unless it was shady and weird; you may use "professional exp." and "other work exp" as two separate sections if you want to keep your medical-related stuff separate from your fast food job in high school

Teaching experience - you can list this under work but I break it out as a separate section

Research experience - I list my NIH grants and other funding, ongoing projects, editorial board positions, etc.

Publications - self explanatory

Presentations - self explanatory

Leadership - board of director positions, officers in clubs, groups you've founded, etc.

Community service - volunteering, free clinics, soup kitchens -- whatever you do to give back

Professional organizations you're a member of

Languages you speak (if more than 1)

Hobbies and interests

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oh yeah I forgot about the licensure -- OP, as a med student I would start adding your USMLE scores once you start taking them (or just say 'pass' if the number ain't so hot).

You know, every time a pre-med asks what they should do in the months before med school starts, putting together a really nice updated CV wouldn't be a bad suggestion. I know I got asked for mine anytime I was applying for something or making some kind of new connection -- much easier to polish that up now and just update it during med school than trying to cram it in while keeping up with classes. On those occasions where I was on the other side of the selection process, I saw students miss out on some great things simply because their CV was sloppy and looked like they didn't take much pride in their work.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Similar to structure as operaman outlined above...esp regarding a section of "Teaching Experiences and Assistantships".

Conversely, I use 2 separate sections to differentiate between "Peer-reviewed publications" and "Non-peer-reviewed publications/Books".

A section listing journals for which I've reviewed articles.

A section for research fellowships.

At this point, you should really be keeping an updated CV instead of a resume. There are some differences and your school will hopefully offer some guidance or have some support to help you get yours nice and polished. Update it every 3-6 months so you don't forget things you did. As to your question: shadowing no, but everything else yes.

Very basically, your CV should include:

Name and CURRENT contact information

Education (after high school), including your MD (just put the year you'll get it, don't say "expected;" people know what year it currently is). Include any greek honors (cum laude, etc).

Honors and Awards - major scholarships, awards, eagle scout, etc. -- any kind of recognition that you can slap a name on, put it there

Professional/work experience -- every job you've had unless it was shady and weird; you may use "professional exp." and "other work exp" as two separate sections if you want to keep your medical-related stuff separate from your fast food job in high school

Teaching experience - you can list this under work but I break it out as a separate section

Research experience - I list my NIH grants and other funding, ongoing projects, editorial board positions, etc.

Publications - self explanatory

Presentations - self explanatory

Leadership - board of director positions, officers in clubs, groups you've founded, etc.

Community service - volunteering, free clinics, soup kitchens -- whatever you do to give back

Professional organizations you're a member of

Languages you speak (if more than 1)

Hobbies and interests

Oh yeah I forgot about the licensure -- OP, as a med student I would start adding your USMLE scores once you start taking them (or just say 'pass' if the number ain't so hot).

You know, every time a pre-med asks what they should do in the months before med school starts, putting together a really nice updated CV wouldn't be a bad suggestion. I know I got asked for mine anytime I was applying for something or making some kind of new connection -- much easier to polish that up now and just update it during med school than trying to cram it in while keeping up with classes. On those occasions where I was on the other side of the selection process, I saw students miss out on some great things simply because their CV was sloppy and looked like they didn't take much pride in their work.

This is all really well put and great advice. Thanks you for summarizing it simply.

If you have to write "Pass" don't write anything at all. If you've made it to clinicals it's a given that you "Passed"

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all this advice guys. I have completely revamped mine over the past month and will use the advice here to clean it up even more. Hopefully having this polished prior to entering med school will save me time in applying to research positions etc