medical textbooks recommended

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iatm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a list of the medical textbooks used/recommended in most/one of the US medical schools? Any input is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

for an anatomy atlas, you can't go wrong with frank netter or grant's atlas of anatomy...

As a student just at the end of his preclinical years, if I was a first year medical student again I would definately buy Netter and Rohen (et al.)...... Moore is a complete waste of money in my experience as your anatomy lecture notes should be more than good enough. (I bought Moore and Netter).

That's only for anatomy mind you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey flindophile, I couldn't find this listamania thing on the site. How would I get to it?

I think a must have book is the USMLE First Aid for Step 1.

The other books tend to vary thus far. Some have stronger points than others.

Heard baby moore is good, netter, etc

hi! can anyone please recommend a good neuroanatomy textbook for a first year med student. i'm using carpenter... i find it very hard to understand. +pissed+

Originally posted by markfreak
hi! can anyone please recommend a good neuroanatomy textbook for a first year med student. i'm using carpenter... i find it very hard to understand. +pissed+

Neuroanatomy: an Illustrated Colour Text by A.R. Crossman and D. Neary is worth looking at. It's basic enough so you may need to read it in conjuction with another text...

I did exactly what Trinners recommended. Crossman and Neary is a perfect stripped down neuro book for the complete beginner, but this year I used Neuroanatomy for Medical Students by JL Wilkinson for a bigger picture. Neuro is just complicated enough that a comprehensive text will confuse you for life (meaning don't go and buy Kandell and Schwartz)

BRS Physiology by Costanzo and BRS Pathology by Schneider (I think) are two staples for the firs two years at my medical school (although neither are on required book lists...)

Crossman and Neary is the best text book to understand neuroanatomy if you're a first year. I was using Wilkinson first but I couldn't understand anything in it. I then bought Crosssman and Neary and it was much simpler to understand. After that Wilkinson made much more sense (It is actually a badly written book if you're new to neuro).

what about Clinical Neuroanatomy by Snell?

thats the book I am supposed to be getting next semester.

thanks flindophile

Neuroanatomy--Crossman and Neary

Anatomy--Moore or Snell (depend on what kind of style and picture you like to read)

Netter--a must

Three of them are the perfect combination(in my opinion)!!!

:thumbup:

i personally feel that snell's neuroanatomy is an excellent buy....i simply love that book. it will help you not only during your pre-clinical years....but is also invaluable for studying neurology during your medicine rotations.

thanks everyone. i had my friend's snell photocopied.:)