MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST VS. SCRIBE

Started by hopeful25678
Tags Tags
premed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopeful25678

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone!
So I'm about to be applying to med school and have a lot on my plate. I am currently a medical scribe/phlebotomist and I am taking a lot of credits next term not to mention I volunteer and do research.
I was recently offered a transcription job and it sounds really nice. I can work flexible hours and the pay rate is the same.
Does anyone have experience with this? Will it look bad if I quit scribing and go into transcription?
I just want to be sure I get the best grades possible, so working less/different hours would be helpful.

Thanks!
 
I don't think it'll look bad if you switch jobs, unless you've only been scribing for a short period of time.
However, I think scribing is more intensive of a job than transcriptionist, unless I don't have a good understanding of the job.
Sounds like you literally type what you hear, versus being a scribe which sounds more involved.
 
I don't think it'll look bad if you switch jobs, unless you've only been scribing for a short period of time.
However, I think scribing is more intensive of a job than transcriptionist, unless I don't have a good understanding of the job.
Sounds like you literally type what you hear, versus being a scribe which sounds more involved.
@OnStrings I type what I hear at my own pace whenever I want which is really convenient. I've been a scribe for little over a year now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Being a scribe is so boring, I've wondered if it is a ploy. You fill out forms a doctor does not want to fill out, and it is suppose to mean something to get into medical school? I enjoyed working as a CNA more than a scribe, because I got to actually interact with the patient. Does it really matter? Clinical experience is clinical experience.
 
You've been employed for a year at a job that puts you in close proximity with physicians and patients. Your circumstances have changed and now you have the opportunity to pick up a job with more flexible hours. Go for it. If you are ever asked about it, you can say, "The hours were flexible and and a better fit with my schedule. I was able to use what I learned as a scribe to do transcriptions quickly and accurately...."
 
Being a scribe is so boring, I've wondered if it is a ploy. You fill out forms a doctor does not want to fill out, and it is suppose to mean something to get into medical school? I enjoyed working as a CNA more than a scribe, because I got to actually interact with the patient. Does it really matter? Clinical experience is clinical experience.
@TXMED_1695 It can get a bit tedious sometimes, but you learn a lot. I don't really have time to get bored because of the sheer volume of terms I need to learn! But to each their own🙂
 
You've been employed for a year at a job that puts you in close proximity with physicians and patients. Your circumstances have changed and now you have the opportunity to pick up a job with more flexible hours. Go for it. If you are ever asked about it, you can say, "The hours were flexible and and a better fit with my schedule. I was able to use what I learned as a scribe to do transcriptions quickly and accurately...."

@LizzyM I think I will just do that. I'm just afraid they will think I am lazy. Thanks for the advice🙂