MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST VS. SCRIBE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful25678

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
So I'm about to be applying to med school and have a lot on my plate. I am currently a medical scribe/phlebotomist and I am taking a lot of credits next term not to mention I volunteer and do research.
I was recently offered a transcription job and it sounds really nice. I can work flexible hours and the pay rate is the same.
Does anyone have experience with this? Will it look bad if I quit scribing and go into transcription?
I just want to be sure I get the best grades possible, so working less/different hours would be helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it'll look bad if you switch jobs, unless you've only been scribing for a short period of time.
However, I think scribing is more intensive of a job than transcriptionist, unless I don't have a good understanding of the job.
Sounds like you literally type what you hear, versus being a scribe which sounds more involved.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it'll look bad if you switch jobs, unless you've only been scribing for a short period of time.
However, I think scribing is more intensive of a job than transcriptionist, unless I don't have a good understanding of the job.
Sounds like you literally type what you hear, versus being a scribe which sounds more involved.
@OnStrings I type what I hear at my own pace whenever I want which is really convenient. I've been a scribe for little over a year now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a scribe is so boring, I've wondered if it is a ploy. You fill out forms a doctor does not want to fill out, and it is suppose to mean something to get into medical school? I enjoyed working as a CNA more than a scribe, because I got to actually interact with the patient. Does it really matter? Clinical experience is clinical experience.

Reactions: 4 users
You've been employed for a year at a job that puts you in close proximity with physicians and patients. Your circumstances have changed and now you have the opportunity to pick up a job with more flexible hours. Go for it. If you are ever asked about it, you can say, "The hours were flexible and and a better fit with my schedule. I was able to use what I learned as a scribe to do transcriptions quickly and accurately...."

Reactions: 1 user
Being a scribe is so boring, I've wondered if it is a ploy. You fill out forms a doctor does not want to fill out, and it is suppose to mean something to get into medical school? I enjoyed working as a CNA more than a scribe, because I got to actually interact with the patient. Does it really matter? Clinical experience is clinical experience.
@TXMED_1695 It can get a bit tedious sometimes, but you learn a lot. I don't really have time to get bored because of the sheer volume of terms I need to learn! But to each their own:)

You've been employed for a year at a job that puts you in close proximity with physicians and patients. Your circumstances have changed and now you have the opportunity to pick up a job with more flexible hours. Go for it. If you are ever asked about it, you can say, "The hours were flexible and and a better fit with my schedule. I was able to use what I learned as a scribe to do transcriptions quickly and accurately...."

@LizzyM I think I will just do that. I'm just afraid they will think I am lazy. Thanks for the advice:)