Medicare Cut Affecting Job Hunt for Hospital Positions?

Started by julia403
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

julia403

4th Year Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to ask for some opinions on the "hiring freeze" that's supposedly occurring at many hospitals right now due to the Medicare cut in reimbursement last August. I don't know much about it, but I keep hearing people talk about it. It's kinda discouraging to see Methodist at a hiring halt & still trying to cut the prn pharmacist positions so that they can cut costs by 6-10% in every department. They have a reputation of being so generous about offering jobs!

I'm not sure whether I should let this affect my job hunting decisions since I am graduating in May & was hoping for a hospital staff pharmacist position here in Houston. What do you think?
😳
 
In terms of pharmacist jobs, at least in Illinois, PBM is the fastest growing sector. Community is growing in need. Hospital pharmacist jobs are either steady state or declining in need. This comes from information the state puts out.
 
In terms of pharmacist jobs, at least in Illinois, PBM is the fastest growing sector. Community is growing in need. Hospital pharmacist jobs are either steady state or declining in need. This comes from information the state puts out.

Where do you get this statistics? Do you know if this type of statistics is available for other states?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The decline of Medicare Reimbursement is nothing new. However, this may not be the sole reason nor do I think is the reason for the lack of robust hiring practice of health systems. As a general rule of thumb, hospitals always hired less pharmacists while being more selective with candidates.

In considering some reasons for the lack of hospital positions, the biggest reason I believe is the shift towards outpatient treatment and decrease of inpatient lenght of stay. Perhaps I should rephrase and say that the decrease in Medicare Reimbursement has led to increase in outpatient treatment (better reimbursement) and decrease in inpatient length of stay.

But, also consider that hospitals are not popping up everywhere like Walgreens and CVS. Hence, the recruiting effort of hospitals only occur when there is a vacancy. Fully staffed hospital pharmacy is in fact in "hiring freeze" if you want to call it that.

Is this all gloom and doom? Not in my mind. Decrease in reimbursement means hospitals have to be most cost effective in treating patients. Who else is equipped to provide cost effective medical treatment that involves medications? Pharmacists.

Effective clinical pharmacists add dollars to the bottom line. And that.. is the bottom line.:meanie:
 
I just wanted to ask for some opinions on the "hiring freeze" that's supposedly occurring at many hospitals right now due to the Medicare cut in reimbursement last August. I don't know much about it, but I keep hearing people talk about it. It's kinda discouraging to see Methodist at a hiring halt & still trying to cut the prn pharmacist positions so that they can cut costs by 6-10% in every department. They have a reputation of being so generous about offering jobs!

I'm not sure whether I should let this affect my job hunting decisions since I am graduating in May & was hoping for a hospital staff pharmacist position here in Houston. What do you think?
😳

PM me.. I can find you a hospital job in Houston...like yesterday.