Medicare part F?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a patient bought in a card medicare part F from state farm and told us to bill it and that anything that's not fully covered by her medicare part B should be paid for by F... this was all for a $3.57 nebulizer, she was willing to pay for the $18 norco... but I digress....

This might be a noob question, but what hell is part F? can we even bill it in the pharmacy or the patient sent a bill to, in this cae, state farm? anyone have any idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
still doesn't answer the question if we bill this in pharmacy or the patient send the bill to the insurance company tho lol the card only had a policy #, no idea how to even put it into the system, I tried to call state farm, but it was weekend and they were closed :/

You are required to report the COB information so you get the right copay. Medicare will automatically send the bill to the secondary carrier.

You are required to report the COB information so you get the right copay. Medicare will automatically send the bill to the secondary carrier.

What do you mean by report the COB billing information? Do you add the part F plan in the system and submit it to both of them?

What do you mean by report the COB billing information? Do you add the part F plan in the system and submit it to both of them?

If you work fro CVS, there is a list of secondary carriers and the COBI numbers on RX Net. Place the appropriate code in the group field when billing to Medicare part B and you are good to go.

If you work fro CVS, there is a list of secondary carriers and the COBI numbers on RX Net. Place the appropriate code in the group field when billing to Medicare part B and you are good to go.

ahh now this makes more sense... however i don't work for CVS and have no idea where to look for this stuff... not even sure what COBI means hahahah

Walgreens has an option under the insurance info screen in patient info to scan in a supplemental/COB when you highlight their Medicare part b policy. It's usually all handled by corporate and not something the stores set up. But once it is set up, billing is automatic.

Medicare Part F does not pay for prescriptions... Part F will cover almost everything that their Original Medicare Part B doesn't cover. However, it doesn't cover prescription medication. A stand alone Part D plan is what would pay for that.

Medicare Part F does not pay for prescriptions... Part F will cover almost everything that their Original Medicare Part B doesn't cover. However, it doesn't cover prescription medication. A stand alone Part D plan is what would pay for that.

Dear Melissa,

Thanks for writing me to let me know that Part F is a gap coverage plan. Also thank you for letting me know Part B is not a prescription drug plan.
As i understand it, Part B is meant for medical supplies, correct?
However, i believe certain medications like nebules and vaccinations are covered under Medicare Part B.
Medicare Part D is prescription drug insurance.
Thanks again for writing.

Guitarfully yours,

Carlos Santana, RPh, B Pharm, BA, MBA, BMP, GMO, spaghetti, Pharm.D,