Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will definitely be writing a letter and I think we need to encourage EVERYBODY to do the same. I’m preparing it and will have it available for people.
Comment here as well:
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I will definitely be writing a letter and I think we need to encourage EVERYBODY to do the same. I’m preparing it and will have it available for people.
I've heard that it is a far superior strategy to speak with a unified voice to CMS, hence why ASTRO/ACRO were in lock-step. If a bunch of people send letters saying contrary things, then CMS tends to get fed up and do what they want anyway.
Those were the simple days before Medicare— when the old and uninsured just diedIf that is the case, why did ASTRO/ACRO split off from the ACR in the first place? 🙂
This is a rhetorical question.
Coming back to an earlier discussion re IGRT in DIBH cases, I'm wondering about getting paid as an RVU based doc. I still setup to kvs, but we're billing G6017 and not G6002, the former having no prof rvus and the latter 0.39. I'm not using surface guidance. Should I be billing G6002? And what kind of imaging/codes are people doing for VMAT APBI?
Is it set in stone yet?Yes, you should be billing G6002 when you do kV images when allowed to for IGRT for 3D breast. For VMAT you should be billing 77014. You've left a lot of RVUs on the table. Won't matter in a few months, I guess.
It's says g6017 and the other two can't be billed simultaneously. You're saying bill 6017 tech and one of the others prof?Yes, you should be billing G6002 when you do kV images when allowed to for IGRT for 3D breast. For VMAT you should be billing 77014. You've left a lot of RVUs on the table. Won't matter in a few months, I guess.
We only use it in the DIBH context. Set up to kv/kv then do DIBH with RPM. And I'm doing that imaging. Have just been billing g6017 only when dibh employed.If no surface guidance no G6017. If you do kV matching that code is G6002. Most people use CBCT for APBI; VMAT (or not) would be unrelated to the IGRT chosen. If you’re hospital based you always have the opportunity to perhaps use 77387-26 when you are worried about not getting RVUs.
Assuming you are using surface guidance for DIBH, you should bill 77387 and G6002.It's says g6017 and the other two can't be billed simultaneously. You're saying bill 6017 tech and one of the others prof?
You can’t bill any IGRT tech with IMRT.It's says g6017 and the other two can't be billed simultaneously. You're saying bill 6017 tech and one of the others prof?
No hypothetical really. The way I read things, G6017 should be billed when employing motion management of any type. Though I don't employe true SGRT, the system we use is a surrogate and fits the description. In turn, the billing guidelines seem to suggest that 6002 or 77014 can't be billed concurrently,You can’t bill any IGRT tech with IMRT.
What is your hypothetical exactly and I can give a better answer.
I wouldn’t agree. You mentioned DIBH. You bill 77293 for that. If you were gating based on kV fiducials, you’d bill 6002 not 6017. For all practical purposes 6017 is just for VisionRT (or “surface guidance”). You could bill 6017 I guess to treat the tip of the nose in facemask setup. I would not call 6017 “motion management” in that instance. Again I think the code closest to “motion management” is 77293.No hypothetical really. The way I read things, G6017 should be billed when employing motion management of any type. Though I don't employe true SGRT, the system we use is a surrogate and fits the description. In turn, the billing guidelines seem to suggest that 6002 or 77014 can't be billed concurrently,
But what if you did capture all respiratory motion at sim, in other words did a 4DCT, to compare excursion versus DIBH. (I should have been more clear.)77293 is a code billed at simulation for a 4DCT. DIBH sim does not capture all respiratory motion so should not be billed for DIBH
But what if you did capture all respiratory motion at sim, in other words did a 4DCT, to compare excursion versus DIBH. (I should have been more clear.)
If no surface guidance no G6017. If you do kV matching that code is G6002. Most people use CBCT for APBI; VMAT (or not) would be unrelated to the IGRT chosen. If you’re hospital based you always have the opportunity to perhaps use 77387-26 when you are worried about not getting RVUs.
This is the rub kinda, right? You must be collections based. It seems like, as usual, you can make an argument for either code in certain contexts, but which is better depends on how you're compensated.Agree with this.
for APBI I use a CBCT and bill the 77014-26 (pro code in hospital based facility).
For DIBH L sided 3D cases I bill the G6017 as we use Align/Vision RT surface guidance system. This has no wRVU assigned to it but it pays really well - In the last quarter I have been paid for both medicare and some private payers for htis.
This is the rub kinda, right? You must be collections based. It seems like, as usual, you can make an argument for either code in certain contexts, but which is better depends on how you're compensated.
For DIBH L sided 3D cases I bill the G6017 as we use Align/Vision RT surface guidance system. This has no wRVU assigned to it but it pays really well - In the last quarter I have been paid for both medicare and some private payers for htis.
I just brought it to my attention and you all confirmed. Thanks. Will do things differently going forward.Interesting. So medicare is paying G6017 on the pro side higher than what they pay for G6002. I have never heard of a pro code that medicare pays for that does not have a wRVU component. The hospital is billing the more profitable code (G6017 only instead of properly billing 77387 + G6002), both on an absolute basis and a relative basis in terms of their margin having to pay out wRVUs. If I were Ray, I would bring this to their attention and request retroactive reimbursement of 0.39 wRVU for every G6017 charge since working there. Good luck.
Yes.Interesting. So medicare is paying G6017 on the pro side higher than what they pay for G6002. I have never heard of a pro code that medicare pays for that does not have a wRVU component. The hospital is billing the more profitable code (G6017 only instead of properly billing 77387 + G6002), both on an absolute basis and a relative basis in terms of their margin having to pay out wRVUs. If I were Ray, I would bring this to their attention and request retroactive reimbursement of 0.39 wRVU for every G6017 charge since working there. Good luck.
I am confused though how the money actually flows in the hospital. Most charges are bundled in an APC so they get a flat rate for a treatment regardless of what is charged. I don't know if G6017 is separate from this. If so, that would be a little nefarious.Yes.
Our medicare LCD recently assigned it a value (or started paying for it) but I believe still no wRVU for it. It does pay better than G6002 and maybe even better than a CBCT (I'd have to check on that).
this is all for naught though, presuming new CMS codes go through it's all going to be one code no matter what (on the professional side) soon enough.
I am confused though how the money actually flows in the hospital. Most charges are bundled in an APC so they get a flat rate for a treatment regardless of what is charged. I don't know if G6017 is separate from this. If so, that would be a little nefarious.
At my place, G6017 is labelled as a Professional code. In turn, the hospital is billing it and collecting it, which they do globally, and paying the physician for the wRVU value of a given code, which in this case is $0.I am confused though how the money actually flows in the hospital. Most charges are bundled in an APC so they get a flat rate for a treatment regardless of what is charged. I don't know if G6017 is separate from this. If so, that would be a little nefarious.
I am confused though how the money actually flows in the hospital.
At my place, G6017 is labelled as a Professional code. In turn, the hospital is billing it and collecting it, which they do globally, and paying the physician for the wRVU value of a given code, which in this case is $0.
Wow. I'd be having a talk with them about that.
It is a professional code.
It may not be fully nefarious, as this is all very confusing (and an oddity that it is paying but has no wRVU)....but you're right, it's a professional code. You should be getting compensated for it.
Eh, I'm doing fine. This is just one more example of the insanity that is rad onc coding. It'll be fixed going forward. Not worth talking about with them as to some degree their ignorance is my bliss. Any time they become aware of anything, good or bad, it only gets worse.Wow. I'd be having a talk with them about that.
It is a professional code.
It may not be fully nefarious, as this is all very confusing (and an oddity that it is paying but has no wRVU)....but you're right, it's a professional code. You should be getting compensated for it.
Eh, I'm doing fine. This is just one more example of the insanity that is rad onc coding. It'll be fixed going forward. Not worth talking about with them as to some degree their ignorance is my bliss. Any time they become aware of anything, good or bad, it only gets worse.
Can someone tell me where in the 2375 pages the relevant info is?
About a 80% haircut if you’re a plebe freestanderBest I can tell, the removal of 77014 and replacement with 77387 went through. 0.85 wRVU ---> 0.70 wRVU for IGRT. So, a 20% haircut on IGRT.
Cool.
Remember in Spinal Tap when they look at their album cover, and it’s just totally black. No text or anything. And someone says how much more black could it be and they go “None. None more black.”ASTRO Official Statement:
Medicare Finalizes Significant Radiation Therapy Payment Changes for 2026
Today, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued the final Medicare Physician Fee Schedule rule for 2026, with significant swings in payment among radiation services, among practice settings and among technical and professional payments. ASTRO is disappointed by additional cuts to radiation oncology, as CMS estimates a -1% overall impact for radiation oncology.
The agency expects that 41% of radiation oncologists will see a decline of -2% to -5% in total RVUs in 2026. CMS estimates a broad distribution of payment impacts among radiation oncologists due to the variety of policy changes.
![]()
Across the fee schedule, CMS made almost no changes to the policies they proposed in July. ASTRO is pleased that CMS finalized its proposal to use relative values for traditionally more stable hospital outpatient data to inform freestanding technical payments for the revised treatment delivery codes 77402, 77407 and 77412.
However, ASTRO strongly disagrees with CMS’ decision to maintain the proposed hospital payment group assignments for the revised codes, resulting in RVUs for 77402 at 2.71; 77407 at 6.47; and 77412 at 14.45. ASTRO remains deeply disappointed by the finalized valuation for 77407. Since the proposed rule was released in July, we have consistently engaged with CMS to raise concerns that the proposal for this essential service was not accurately valued and to strongly urge reconsideration in the final rule. Unfortunately, those recommendations were not adopted. We will continue to communicate our concerns to the agency, as we believe this outcome is unfair to our members and the patients they serve.
While this represents a potentially reasonable RVU for the most complex code (77412) and treatments, the RVUs for the intermediate code (77407) and simple code (77402) are inappropriately low. Of note, freestanding centers will benefit from CMS finalizing a change to the indirect practice expense methodology that shifts resources to freestanding centers. In addition, since hospital chargemaster data will be used to inform reimbursement for the revised treatment delivery codes, both hospital and freestanding reimbursement will adjust over time to reflect these costs. CMS has not yet issued the hospital outpatient payment final rule.
ASTRO is also disappointed that CMS finalized a new efficiency adjustment that will reduce physician work relative value units by 2.5% for many professional codes, which will negatively impact radiation oncologists and specialists. ASTRO is collaborating with a broad coalition of stakeholders to express our unified concern that the efficiency adjustment is both arbitrary and divisive within the physician community. Unfortunately, despite the strong and consistent opposition from ASTRO and affected specialties, CMS did not act on these concerns.
ASTRO will continue working with the radiation oncology and physician community to advocate on these and other outstanding physician payment issues. This rule underscores concerns about the volatility of the fee schedule, which is among the reasons ASTRO continues to pursue the Radiation Oncology Case Rate Act (H.R. 2120/S. 1031), which would freeze radiation therapy payments upon passage and stabilize payments over the long term. More than 135 organizations across the radiation oncology community support the ROCR Act.
ASTRO will provide a detailed summary and more analysis in coming days.
can someone translate this - how bad is thisASTRO Official Statement:
Medicare Finalizes Significant Radiation Therapy Payment Changes for 2026
Today, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued the final Medicare Physician Fee Schedule rule for 2026, with significant swings in payment among radiation services, among practice settings and among technical and professional payments. ASTRO is disappointed by additional cuts to radiation oncology, as CMS estimates a -1% overall impact for radiation oncology.
The agency expects that 41% of radiation oncologists will see a decline of -2% to -5% in total RVUs in 2026. CMS estimates a broad distribution of payment impacts among radiation oncologists due to the variety of policy changes.
![]()
Across the fee schedule, CMS made almost no changes to the policies they proposed in July. ASTRO is pleased that CMS finalized its proposal to use relative values for traditionally more stable hospital outpatient data to inform freestanding technical payments for the revised treatment delivery codes 77402, 77407 and 77412.
However, ASTRO strongly disagrees with CMS’ decision to maintain the proposed hospital payment group assignments for the revised codes, resulting in RVUs for 77402 at 2.71; 77407 at 6.47; and 77412 at 14.45. ASTRO remains deeply disappointed by the finalized valuation for 77407. Since the proposed rule was released in July, we have consistently engaged with CMS to raise concerns that the proposal for this essential service was not accurately valued and to strongly urge reconsideration in the final rule. Unfortunately, those recommendations were not adopted. We will continue to communicate our concerns to the agency, as we believe this outcome is unfair to our members and the patients they serve.
While this represents a potentially reasonable RVU for the most complex code (77412) and treatments, the RVUs for the intermediate code (77407) and simple code (77402) are inappropriately low. Of note, freestanding centers will benefit from CMS finalizing a change to the indirect practice expense methodology that shifts resources to freestanding centers. In addition, since hospital chargemaster data will be used to inform reimbursement for the revised treatment delivery codes, both hospital and freestanding reimbursement will adjust over time to reflect these costs. CMS has not yet issued the hospital outpatient payment final rule.
ASTRO is also disappointed that CMS finalized a new efficiency adjustment that will reduce physician work relative value units by 2.5% for many professional codes, which will negatively impact radiation oncologists and specialists. ASTRO is collaborating with a broad coalition of stakeholders to express our unified concern that the efficiency adjustment is both arbitrary and divisive within the physician community. Unfortunately, despite the strong and consistent opposition from ASTRO and affected specialties, CMS did not act on these concerns.
ASTRO will continue working with the radiation oncology and physician community to advocate on these and other outstanding physician payment issues. This rule underscores concerns about the volatility of the fee schedule, which is among the reasons ASTRO continues to pursue the Radiation Oncology Case Rate Act (H.R. 2120/S. 1031), which would freeze radiation therapy payments upon passage and stabilize payments over the long term. More than 135 organizations across the radiation oncology community support the ROCR Act.
ASTRO will provide a detailed summary and more analysis in coming days.
I think this comment kind of encapsulates why we need an advocacy organization. They aren’t going to win every battle, but they did win some positives in the negotiations preceding the proposed rule in July (notably benefitting freestanding centers). The nitty gritty details of Medicare policy are just too Byzantine for any one rad onc to understand and advocate for in a grassroots way.can someone translate this - how bad is this
Maybe I’m dense, but ASTRO saying freestanding centers have a benefit here makes no sense to me. In 2025, a freestanding center will get $350 for an IMRT fraction and $140 for the accompanying IGRT. In 2026 they’ll get $300 for the IMRT and $30 for the IGRT.I think this comment kind of encapsulates why we need an advocacy organization. They aren’t going to win every battle, but they did win some positives in the negotiations preceding the proposed rule in July (notably benefitting freestanding centers
More of the same.... decades now, reallyMaybe I’m dense, but ASTRO saying freestanding centers have a benefit here makes no sense to me. In 2025, a freestanding center will get $350 for an IMRT fraction and $140 for the accompanying IGRT. In 2026 they’ll get $300 for the IMRT and $30 for the IGRT.
How on any planet have they benefitted.
It’s actually similar to what they were saying about igrt …”but you’ll get a bump from for kV orthogonal imaging.”Maybe I’m dense, but ASTRO saying freestanding centers have a benefit here makes no sense to me. In 2025, a freestanding center will get $350 for an IMRT fraction and $140 for the accompanying IGRT. In 2026 they’ll get $300 for the IMRT and $30 for the IGRT.
How on any planet have they benefitted.
ASTRO’s “bragging” about some freestanding benefit doled from their hand is either tone deaf let-them-eat-cake ineptitude or expert-level gaslighting as everything goes according to plan.
This is advocacy we DON’T need.
There seems to be a lot more attention focused on these cuts than programs like univ of Miami expanding resident numbers . (entering class of 5.)There are a lot of bad apples in radonc- or we wouldn’t be in this position.How much is cms imrt reimbursement per fraction down in the last 15 years on the technical side? Yet large academic departments are more profitably than ever per patient!
Sure, Astro is inept w/cms
but they are downright malignant when it comes to the supply of radiation oncologists. The job market and salaries are driven mostly by supply. There is a shortage of doctors in virtually every specialty except the one that led in residency expansion.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.