Medication expiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
again volunteer a day at a busy cvs and see if anyone is doing it. from my observation its not being done at any cvs i've come across. whatever date is automatically printed is bagged up and sold. i've yet to see one person looking at the expiration on the original bottle and edit and re-print the label. if the bottle expires in 2 months and the script is for 90 days, not a problem. the customer will only know the date that's automatically printed. that's just the way it is. one day a customer brought in the original bottle for Viread. and because it comes in original packaging, they were able to point out the expiration date on it that expires in 2 months. they got frantic and wanted a refund. thats a common story happening at cvs. if u actually work for this company and don't believe it, then you're either in denial or clueless.
I worked at CVS for 17 years. And I did my job the whole time. Not just the fewest number of steps to make a sale. Don't pretend you're actually doing your job.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I worked at CVS for 17 years. And I did my job the whole time. Not just the fewest number of steps to make a sale. Don't pretend you're actually doing your job.

that can only mean one thing. you're moving slowly and always leave a ton of scripts behind for the next pharmacists to clean up. hello tortoise. we have lots of slow moving pharmacists here like that its hella annoying cleaning up after ppl like u.

Well you have slow-ass pharmacists at CVS that don't check expiration dates anyway. This is more of a training and expectations issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
that can only mean one thing. you're moving slowly and always leave a ton of scripts behind for the next pharmacists to clean up. hello tortoise. we have lots of slow moving pharmacists here like that its hella annoying cleaning up after ppl like u.

I moonlighted there for 5 years. I actually had techs tell me if you had to be faster to work at a hospital because the three of us from my hospital that moonlighted at CVS were, in the techs words , 'so much faster and better than are regular pharmacists" I am not saying this because I think I am better, but to point out that you can be fast and still actually do your job that you are legally required to.

As a side note, I think I was faster because I wasn't burnt out dealing with the BS of CVS - as a prn floater, I could said "fu" at anytime.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you joking?
You're what is called a "lick and stick" pharmacist.
That's not a good thing.
By the way, other pharmacists can thrive in busy stores just fine while actually performing competently.

Who do you think does the genco, strongpak, pcq calls, the scheduling, and everything else while you feel proud for playing the matching game quickly for 12 hours?

Your logic is faulty.
You're not "fast" because you cut corners.

EDIT: I'm so done with this thread. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
again volunteer a day at a busy cvs and see if anyone is doing it. from my observation its not being done at any cvs i've come across. whatever date is automatically printed is bagged up and sold. i've yet to see one person looking at the expiration on the original bottle and edit and re-print the label. if the bottle expires in 2 months and the script is for 90 days, not a problem. the customer will only know the date that's automatically printed. that's just the way it is. one day a customer brought in the original bottle for Viread. and because it comes in original packaging, they were able to point out the expiration date on it that expires in 2 months. they got frantic and wanted a refund. thats a common story happening at cvs. if u actually work for this company and don't believe it, then you're either in denial or clueless.

This thread is really mind blowing. It takes nothing but a 2 minute huddle with your techs to remind them to check expiration dates. Saying "volunteer or work and see if anyone is doing it" means nothing because the bottom line is you know better. Just because you're busy or because no one else is doing it does not make skipping it ok. Let's take accountability for our own actions.

It's clear no one showed you how when you first started. We're human, even our bosses make mistakes and forget. But there are cvs workers on this thread that have told you how you or your techs can change it. From this point on, there is absolutely no excuse or explanation you can give on why you aren't changing expiration dates. Be the leader that you are and remind both the techs and pharmacist at your store change them. Simple.

i may have repeated this more than once, but lets say this again to see if anyone gets it.. in my "observation," no one at cvs thus far looks at the expiration on the bottle and change the date and reprint the label.. no one. with that said, this isn't the story about me. / also of note, this is mostly observed at 24 hr stores and other high volume stores.

i may have repeated this more than once, but lets say this again to see if anyone gets it.. in my "observation," no one at cvs thus far looks at the expiration on the bottle and change the date and reprint the label.. no one. with that said, this isn't the story about me. / also of note, this is mostly observed at 24 hr stores and other high volume stores.
:eek::eek::eek: please say you were just kidding no one check expiration date

I think you're appealing to numbers saying,
"I'm not the only one!"
Because you know you're wrong, and you want to us to think it's ok in the context that it's supposedly common practice.

Here's where the hole in your non-argument surfaces:

How do you know that no one else does it?
Have you seen techs ignoring stickers while other pharmacists are working?

Are you basing this on the fact that the techs don't bother when you're there?

Allow me to suggest that the reasons the techs don't check is because they know you're a careless/incompetent pharmacist who isn't fast enough to keep up with the volume while still practicing legally.

I highly doubt they behave the same way when the PIC is there.

Last edited:
Honest question:

What about return to stock bottles? Does anyone use the expiration date printed on those as a guide to change the expiration one you would fill today? I would imagine not, since it would require changing the expiration everytime you used a return to stock vial because it would make the expiry always less than the year automatically printed but this thread had me thinking about that too.

Honest question:

What about return to stock bottles? Does anyone use the expiration date printed on those as a guide to change the expiration one you would fill today? I would imagine not, since it would require changing the expiration everytime you used a return to stock vial because it would make the expiry always less than the year automatically printed but this thread had me thinking about that too.

CVS requires that they scan the barcode of each RTS they use

Sosoo works overnight = almost no tech interactions.

How often do they do Board of Pharmacy inspections in Maryland? I know in DC they show up 1-2 times a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which has nothing to do with updating expiration dates?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

So you're saying if a certified technician grabs an amber vial off the shelf, with their human hand that is attached to their brain, it's unreasonable to expect them to know that they should be changing exp. by default?

I realize this thread jumped the shark the minute sosoo posted, but here's another circumstance for the sake of argument:

I've worked at stores with poor management where the techs/cashiers would constantly put refrigerator items in unrefrigerated will call.

The pharmacists would find the stuff during RTS and just put it back in the fridge because "eh, it's not a big deal"

Is that acceptable?
How is an expiration date any different?
Why is it not the duty of the filling tech to check?
Why isn't it the responsibility of the RPh to ensure they're completing their duties?

again volunteer a day at a busy cvs and see if anyone is doing it. from my observation its not being done at any cvs i've come across. whatever date is automatically printed is bagged up and sold. i've yet to see one person looking at the expiration on the original bottle and edit and re-print the label. if the bottle expires in 2 months and the script is for 90 days, not a problem.

sosoo, you are not alone. Same at over 100 Rite Aid stores. The procedure is (at most stores): Tech counts, puts bottle away, pharmacist gets Counted Bottle with label that has 1 year expiration date from printed date.

I can see "sosoo" was not teaching us to wrongly extend the date; "sosoo" was just pointing out the fact in some stores at CVS which I concur that such practice is happening in many stores at Rite Aid, too.

The ethically correct way is: we have to ensure we input real expiration date.
The reality is: the system does not FORCE us to input real expiration date. The un-ethical reality is: the company is forcing us to do TOO MANY THINGS within 8 hours. Therefore, we skip what we can skip and this happens.

Can we fix this from caring standpoint? Only if the computer forces us to input EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Until then, corporate pharmacy will force us human to skip the expiration date step to finish the script within 15 minutes. Yes, some Rite Aid Pharmacy District Managers are still pushing for this 15 minute goal.

Now, if the Original Package is given out and the pharmacist did not match both dates on label and Original Package, the pharmacist is simply asking for trouble. I have fixed by handwriting over 10 wrong dates a day at various stores, multiply that by 10 years and that would be a huge opportunity for coaching and retraining.

Thanks for pointing out the method, I will be asking for Original Bottle with Counted Vial from now on.

So you're saying if a certified technician grabs an amber vial off the shelf, with their human hand that is attached to their brain, it's unreasonable to expect them to know that they should be changing exp. by default?

I realize this thread jumped the shark the minute sosoo posted, but here's another circumstance for the sake of argument:

I've worked at stores with poor management where the techs/cashiers would constantly put refrigerator items in unrefrigerated will call.

The pharmacists would find the stuff during RTS and just put it back in the fridge because "eh, it's not a big deal"

Is that acceptable?
How is an expiration date any different?
Why is it not the duty of the filling tech to check?
Why isn't it the responsibility of the RPh to ensure they're completing their duties?

Wow way to redirect the question. You said the system makes the tech scan the RTS vial (true). I pointed out that scanning the RTS vial has nothing to do with updating the exp date (true). You could argue that wether or not the tech has to scan the RTS vial or not they should still know to update the exp date based on it being an RTS vial. At no point did I say or even imply a human hand attached to a human brain shouldn't know to update an exp date. Having to scan the RTS vial doesn't somehow make the tech more likely to update the exp date. But nice try making it sound like I was arguing something I wasn't.

Now on to your second out of nowhere point about cold items. I agree completely and even take it a step farther - why is it ok for something to stay out of the fridge for hours and hours waiting for a pharmacist to check it? i saw it over and over again at CVS. If the cold item wasn't due until the next day it stayed at the bottom of the pile until the pharmacist got around to checking the next day's scripts. As fas as I could tell CVS had nothing in the policies and procedures about this nor did they teach any special procedure during training. At my store I made the techs put cold things on top regardless of due time but I know that is not usual for CVS in my experience and the techs made no bones about expressing how dumb they thought it was (I didn't care and it just goes to show the mindset of most pharmacy employees).

At my store I made the techs put cold things on top regardless of due time but I know that is not usual for CVS in my experience and the techs made no bones about expressing how dumb they thought it
Thank you and I do the same by asking tech to imagine they are filling for family member or even for themselves, they want the cold med to stay cold until being sold...and that got them to do consistently...We treat others the way we want to be treated...We care for others the way we want to be cared for.

Wow way to redirect the question. You said the system makes the tech scan the RTS vial (true). I pointed out that scanning the RTS vial has nothing to do with updating the exp date (true). You could argue that wether or not the tech has to scan the RTS vial or not they should still know to update the exp date based on it being an RTS vial. At no point did I say or even imply a human hand attached to a human brain shouldn't know to update an exp date. Having to scan the RTS vial doesn't somehow make the tech more likely to update the exp date. But nice try making it sound like I was arguing something I wasn't.

Now on to your second out of nowhere point about cold items. I agree completely and even take it a step farther - why is it ok for something to stay out of the fridge for hours and hours waiting for a pharmacist to check it? i saw it over and over again at CVS. If the cold item wasn't due until the next day it stayed at the bottom of the pile until the pharmacist got around to checking the next day's scripts. As fas as I could tell CVS had nothing in the policies and procedures about this nor did they teach any special procedure during training. At my store I made the techs put cold things on top regardless of due time but I know that is not usual for CVS in my experience and the techs made no bones about expressing how dumb they thought it was (I didn't care and it just goes to show the mindset of most pharmacy employees).
Nobody's redirecting anything. I don't mean to be rude, but I literally wrote "for the sake of argument."
I made an illustration about expiration dates using refrigerated items.
That's not a redirection.
That's a bright neon sign saying, "here's an example that has some parallels to the subject being discussed"

I answered your question by saying, in an admittedly roundabout way, that the tech having visual contact with an amber RTS vial does indeed have more than "nothing to do with updating expiration dates"

In fact the only people who see stock bottles and RTS bottles in the workflow in question is the filling tech.

So not only does it not have "nothing to do with" it, it's likely the only actual opportunity in the entire workflow for someone to recognize that the expiration date needs correcting.

I'm not sure why you're so "wow'd" by my post.

Last edited:
Let me spell it out for you:

Yes. We understand your pharmacy system will default the expiration date to 1 year from the date of dispensing.

That's because the computer in front of you lives in cyber space. It has no way of knowing what the lot number or expiration date of the bottle in your hand is.

You, as the pharmacist, must ensure that the expiration date is changed to show the actual expiration date on the bottle if it's less than 1 year away.
CVS' system does allow for editing of the expiration date.
I've done it.

Please hear me very clearly:
If you are artificially extending expiration dates, you are breaking the law.
Every prescription you dispense where you do this is a mis-fill.

It's mind numbing that you lack the critical thinking to understand this
I think it's adulterated once it's past the actual expiration date.

Nobody's redirecting anything. I don't mean to be rude, but I literally wrote "for the sake of argument."
I made an illustration about expiration dates using refrigerated items.
That's not a redirection.
That's a bright neon sign saying, "here's an example that has some parallels to the subject being discussed"

I answered your question by saying, in an admittedly roundabout way, that the tech having visual contact with an amber RTS vial does indeed have more than "nothing to do with updating expiration dates"

In fact the only people who see stock bottles and RTS bottles in the workflow in question is the filling tech.

So not only does it not have "nothing to do with" it, it's likely the only actual opportunity in the entire workflow for someone to recognize that the expiration date needs correcting.

I'm not sure why you're so "wow'd" by my post.

Maybe I am being dense here, but your post that the tech needs to scan the RTS vial still seems completely non sequitur to me. I completely agree that only the tech filling the script has an opportunity to see the exp date and should correct it. The fact it is an amber vial should trigger the tech to realize the exp date will need to be updated. That still has "nothing to do" with scanning the vial. :p

I was mostly wow'd by the tone of your post. I don't mind though, I like your posts. Even when I disagree with them, at least they are entertaining.

sosoo, you are not alone. Same at over 100 Rite Aid stores. The procedure is (at most stores): Tech counts, puts bottle away, pharmacist gets Counted Bottle with label that has 1 year expiration date from printed date.

I can see "sosoo" was not teaching us to wrongly extend the date; "sosoo" was just pointing out the fact in some stores at CVS which I concur that such practice is happening in many stores at Rite Aid, too.

The ethically correct way is: we have to ensure we input real expiration date.
The reality is: the system does not FORCE us to input real expiration date. The un-ethical reality is: the company is forcing us to do TOO MANY THINGS within 8 hours. Therefore, we skip what we can skip and this happens.

Can we fix this from caring standpoint? Only if the computer forces us to input EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Until then, corporate pharmacy will force us human to skip the expiration date step to finish the script within 15 minutes. Yes, some Rite Aid Pharmacy District Managers are still pushing for this 15 minute goal.

Now, if the Original Package is given out and the pharmacist did not match both dates on label and Original Package, the pharmacist is simply asking for trouble. I have fixed by handwriting over 10 wrong dates a day at various stores, multiply that by 10 years and that would be a huge opportunity for coaching and retraining.

Thanks for pointing out the method, I will be asking for Original Bottle with Counted Vial from now on.

Thank you for recognizing this common issue.

Honest question:

Return to stock is the problem. lets say the original bottle expires in 2 months. the printed label automatixally puts 1 year discard date... the pt does not pick it up and 14 days later u do return to stock... here's the best part. that 1 year discard date is converted to "expiration" date on RTS label.. its then put back on the shelf. ..... / after the original bottle expires in 2 months, the RTS vial stays on the shelf for that 1 year.. // so are we selling expired meds at cvs??? u can bet The Rock's candy a.ss on it.

Maybe I am being dense here, but your post that the tech needs to scan the RTS vial still seems completely non sequitur to me. I completely agree that only the tech filling the script has an opportunity to see the exp date and should correct it. The fact it is an amber vial should trigger the tech to realize the exp date will need to be updated. That still has "nothing to do" with scanning the vial. :p

I was mostly wow'd by the tone of your post. I don't mind though, I like your posts. Even when I disagree with them, at least they are entertaining.

It was probably the flurry of semi rhetorical questions I have the bad habit of using in posts. LOL

IF CVS had a decent IT department it would automatically update the expiration date to what was on the original RTS bottle - but hell that is asking to much

I can't tell if I should feel angry or sad.

The OP is talking about what is “common practice” vs everyone else that suggests otherwise is talking “standard of practice”.
Although I myself had to pay attention and remember to change those the OP has a valid point. I think corporate should have a better system in place to prevent such common practice.
But every which way you turn you’re told nonsense and you barely have time and leverage to make the process change.

I think corporate knows this and turns a blind eye because it is somewhat profitable- less waste. Sad but true.

You are required to write the expiration date on the bottle if it is less than one year from the dispense date. Having worked retail, I know that this doesn't always happen. In most settings, it would be up to technicians and interns filling medications to remember this step. Without training, it's often forgotten. Expiration date never increases when you repackage; it can only decrease.

The OP is talking about what is “common practice” vs everyone else that suggests otherwise is talking “standard of practice”.
Although I myself had to pay attention and remember to change those the OP has a valid point. I think corporate should have a better system in place to prevent such common practice.
But every which way you turn you’re told nonsense and you barely have time and leverage to make the process change.

I think corporate knows this and turns a blind eye because it is somewhat profitable- less waste. Sad but true.
There is a system in place.

for those who doesn't believe me, simply volunteer a day at cvs. fill a prescription from a bottle that will expire in 2 months. then look at the automatically printed label. (and no you cannot manually change it). the discard date / expiration date is extended to 1 year.

That’s is TRUE ! In reality , it may happen to any phamacy, to any of you... that all depend who fill the rx. I know my teches change exp date before fill it.... btw, If a filled rx in a sealled bottle, when I review it, I can catch it and change it to match manufacture exp. date. Otherwise I could not control all of the meds filled from opened bottle, that’s why it’s important to check outdated rx each month, we pull them out 3 months ahead...I believe that there are skippers...

Last edited:
Well it’s been a few years since I worked for them. If they had a system in place it must have been after I left. However, i doubt that is the case given the number of people’s responses in agreement with the assessment of the OP.
What IS the system in place? Why wouldn’t it aoutomaticalky adjust label expiration dates based on what is being selected for production and verification?

There is a system in place.

Well it’s been a few years since I worked for them. If they had a system in place it must have been after I left. However, i doubt that is the case given the number of people’s responses in agreement with the assessment of the OP.
What IS the system in place? Why wouldn’t it aoutomaticalky adjust label expiration dates based on what is being selected for production and verification?
Part of a pharmacist's legal requirement to "supervise" technicians is ensuring that they're checking expiration dates on a regular basis.

The people in agreement probably throw trash on the floorboards of their cars, never change the oil, then blame the car.

Part of a pharmacist's legal requirement to "supervise" technicians is ensuring that they're checking expiration dates on a regular basis.

if the legal requirement cannot be met (let's say not adequately staff, continually cutting tech hours, continually cut pharmacists overlap hours, continually behind /in red, phone ringing off the hook and no one's there to answer the phone), how do you provide the training? if you don't adequately staff a pharmacy, is it really not obvious to you that the training is also inadequate?? do you not check the inbox and not notice the long list of people not doing their training modules?? theres expectation, and theres targets. the target is not to provide 100% customer satisfation experience. some stores MCE target is 78%!! any performance target is allowing for a target of "inadequacy." the company runs on inadequate expectations.... the pharmacist is therefore expected to "inadequately" train the techs. this is CVS.

if the legal requirement cannot be met (let's say not adequately staff, continually cutting tech hours, continually cut pharmacists overlap hours, continually behind /in red, phone ringing off the hook and no one's there to answer the phone), how do you provide the training? if you don't adequately staff a pharmacy, is it really not obvious to you that the training is also inadequate?? do you not check the inbox and not notice the long list of people not doing their training modules?? theres expectation, and theres targets. the target is not to provide 100% customer satisfation experience. some stores MCE target is 78%!! any performance target is allowing for a target of "inadequacy." the company runs on inadequate expectations.... the pharmacist is therefore expected to "inadequately" train the techs. this is CVS.
I'm going to indulge in responding to a few more of your "it's ok for me to break the law because..." posts

Are you saying your district leader lets the stores you work at get away with not doing the morning cycle counts?

At the end of the day, it's your responsibility to do what is right. Stop using CVS as a scapegoat for every wrong that you do. They aren't gonna cover your ass when you get into trouble buddy. I feel like you barely got through pharmacy school

I'm going to indulge in responding to a few more of your "it's ok for me to break the law because..." posts

Are you saying your district leader lets the stores you work at get away with not doing the morning cycle counts?

again this isn't me breaking the law. the CVS system makes for illegal activity. it is only in my observations as a floater. any and all illegal activities are done by inadequate training by managers at every store i been to.

in retail setting, lets say a drug expires in 2 months. However when u fill it for a patient, u remove the pills from original bottle, the expiration (discard after date) is extended to 1 year... the patient can take it far beyond the original 2 month expiration.

That's you right?

again this isn't me breaking the law. the CVS system makes for illegal activity. it is only in my observations as a floater. any and all illegal activities are done by inadequate training by managers at every store i been to.

So if you work for a pill mill and fill fake prescriptions, it's the pill mill's fault because it makes for illegal activity?

Saw this show up at the top of the forum and thought "hey, is that the sosoo thread, did someone bump it?"

It IS the sosoo thread, and sosoo is still arguing their point!

This is magical.

So if you work for a pill mill and fill fake prescriptions, it's the pill mill's fault because it makes for illegal activity?

comparing to pill mill is like apples and oranges. it's an independent pharmacy and not comparable to a large company like CVS. people generally don't work at a pill mill for 10 years. they usually quit before they get caught after they make so much money. i personally prefer operating a phantom pharmacy over pill mills. and no i won't blame anyone else for the risk i take as it is independently own and theres no upper management to blame.

Saw this show up at the top of the forum and thought "hey, is that the sosoo thread, did someone bump it?"

It IS the sosoo thread, and sosoo is still arguing their point!

This is magical.

my point exactly. up to now no one has proven me wrong. i explained it very thoroughly once again in the other thread.

comparing to pill mill is like apples and oranges. it's an independent pharmacy and not comparable to a large company like CVS. people generally don't work at a pill mill for 10 years. they usually quit before they get caught after they make so much money. i personally prefer operating a phantom pharmacy over pill mills. and no i won't blame anyone else for the risk i take as it is independently own and theres no upper management to blame.

For the sake of argument, just imagine it's one of the many CVS pill mills in Florida that have been sanctioned by the DEA.

For the sake of argument, just imagine it's one of the many CVS pill mills in Florida that have been sanctioned by the DEA.

if they're already sanctioned then i'm happy. what's there to argue? i'm not defending them.

if they're already sanctioned then i'm happy. what's there to argue? i'm not defending them.

The original point was that you said a pharmacist is not guilty of breaking the law if the company they work for creates a situation where they can break the law.

I was making an illustration to question how far you'd take that fallacy

my point exactly. up to now no one has proven me wrong. i explained it very thoroughly once again in the other thread.

No dude. The following quote is wildly wrong:
in retail setting, lets say a drug expires in 2 months. However when u fill it for a patient, u remove the pills from original bottle, the expiration (discard after date) is extended to 1 year... the patient can take it far beyond the original 2 month expiration.

See part of this is actually the job of whoever is in charge of outdates. If something is outdated within the next year there should be a sticker alerting you to that. Then if you are using one that is close dated scratch off that expiration on the label and put the correct one. My question is how anyone ever thought it was acceptable to say that because the CVS label gives it a year expiration date that means that it changes what the manufacturer says. What about tubes that clearly say on the tube/box what the expiration date is? Then you have a patient call you and chew you out saying your label says its good until x date but the tube/box says x? Would you tell them the oh mighty powers at CVS has the ability to extend that date...I think not. So why would that work with anything else?

The original point was that you said a pharmacist is not guilty of breaking the law if the company they work for creates a situation where they can break the law.

I was making an illustration to question how far you'd take that fallacy

the "floater" pharmacist. it's important to note that the floater is not responsible. the staff and PIC are definitely responsible.

My question is how anyone ever thought it was acceptable to say that because the CVS label gives it a year expiration date that means that it changes what the manufacturer says. What about tubes that clearly say on the tube/box what the expiration date is? Then you have a patient call you and chew you out saying your label says its good until x date but the tube/box says x? Would you tell them the oh mighty powers at CVS has the ability to extend that date...I think not. So why would that work with anything else?

you're referring to the dispensing of original packaging. this isn't related to what was being discussed. it's more about the amber vials and the RTS labels.

No dude. The following quote is wildly wrong:

have you looked at the discard after date on the label? is it not automatically 1 year from fill date? the label will not have a 2 month expiration from the original bottle.