meds/peds hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love peds, medicine, and being in the hospital. I'd say my ideal job would be a hospitalist that spends some time doing peds and some time doing medicine. I also love to teach and would love to be at an academic institution as an attening or something.

I dont think I would do med/peds if I thought it was likely I would end up doing outpatient all of the time. If i thought that would be the case, I'd probably just choose either meds or peds and be a general hospitalist in the respective fields. I also have a huge interest in cardiology, so thats on the table as well.

So basically, how common is it for meds/peds residents to go on to do outpatient only? Are there even any positions that would allow one to act as a peds hospitalist and medicine hospitalist?

Members don't see this ad.

I love peds, medicine, and being in the hospital. I'd say my ideal job would be a hospitalist that spends some time doing peds and some time doing medicine. I also love to teach and would love to be at an academic institution as an attening or something.

I dont think I would do med/peds if I thought it was likely I would end up doing outpatient all of the time. If i thought that would be the case, I'd probably just choose either meds or peds and be a general hospitalist in the respective fields. I also have a huge interest in cardiology, so thats on the table as well.

So basically, how common is it for meds/peds residents to go on to do outpatient only? Are there even any positions that would allow one to act as a peds hospitalist and medicine hospitalist?

There are jobs (in private community hospitals as well as academic hospitals) where med/peds physicians can be hospitalists (for both adults and pediatrics). Really depends on the setting, and the agreement that you make with your group or hospital (whether you work directly for the hospital or work with a group contracted with the hospital). It varies from covering the pediatric floor in a small community hospital to being the pediatric hospitalists at a stand-alone children's hospital (although those are usually more academic in nature)

The option is there and really depends on what you are looking for when you are job seeking (and where you want to work, etc)

As to your other question

From studies, roughly 55% of Med-Peds graduates end up doing primary care. Roughly 20-25% end up doing subspecialty training (in internal medicine, pediatrics, or both). About 17% end up being hospitalists.

If you have time and would look at the articles and data, then here are some articles that might be useful .... but you don't have to take my word for it ;)

Chamberlain J, Cull W, Melgar T, Kaelber D, Kan B. The effect of dual training in internal medicine and pediatrics on the career path and job search experience of pediatric graduates. J Pediatrics. 2007, 151:419-24.

Frohna J. The Role of the Med-Peds Physician in a Changing Medical World. J Pediatrics. 2007; 151:338-339.

Frohna J, Melgar T, Mueller C, and Borden S. Internal Medicine-Pediatrics Residency Training: Current Trends and Outcomes. Academic Medicine. 2004; 79:591-596.

thanks!! Forgot i posted this and just saw it now haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting those articles!

I've always had a difficult time wrapping my brain around a few concepts...

Renal physiology, the female brain, superstring theory, and.... med/peds combined residencies. I mean, grappling with the extent of my 2 volume Rosen's EM text and being expected to master the content is enough of a headache, so I can't imagine being expected to master not only all of adult IM but also pediatrics. I've jokingly referred to it as the residency for indecisive med students but from what I can gather... I understand that it benefits certain residents who might want to do certain subspecialties where that type of training would be preferred, but if over 50% do primary care... why not do a FM residency? Don't they do primary care for adults and children also? Can't they do hospitalist and outpatient too?

FM has advantages. Typically better lifestyle in residency and more procedure training. Culture is very different as well, less academic if that's not your thing.

I wanted more than 6 months of peds training, most of all. To each his/her own.

I've always had a difficult time wrapping my brain around a few concepts...

Renal physiology, the female brain, superstring theory, and.... med/peds combined residencies. I mean, grappling with the extent of my 2 volume Rosen's EM text and being expected to master the content is enough of a headache, so I can't imagine being expected to master not only all of adult IM but also pediatrics. I've jokingly referred to it as the residency for indecisive med students but from what I can gather... I understand that it benefits certain residents who might want to do certain subspecialties where that type of training would be preferred, but if over 50% do primary care... why not do a FM residency? Don't they do primary care for adults and children also? Can't they do hospitalist and outpatient too?

Yea, they do do primary care for adults and children also, but I really do not care for Ob/Gyn or surgery. Neither of those will be required in a med/peds residency. As of now, I prefer hospitalist work over outpatient work. Yes, you can do hospitalist work through FM, but a FM residency is heavily weighted towards outpatient. If i know I like inpatient stuff more than outpatient, it makes sense to do training in med/peds b/c more of that training will be inpatient.

I dont really get the argument for not being able to master medicine and peds.......if you do family medicine you have only 3 years, not 4 as with med/peds, and you need to be able to be competent in pediatrics, obstetrics, gynecology, geriatrics, etc. etc. There is just as much if not more information to learn....and you get significantly LESS time with each field b/c you are trying to get exposure to everything. That to me seems more difficult.