Meeting people and/or making friends in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happydays

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a nervous pre-M1 student. Lots of people told me that I'll be making tons new friends and dating like crazy in undergrad, but that didn't happen. Now I'm scared that it'll happen again in med school.

In your seasoned experience, was it hard for you to make friends or date fellow students as a med student?

Also for the female students out there, is it hard to find boyfriends, since lots of men are intimidated by your success? *NOTE: Please don't assume I'm saying EVERY man is like this; lots of them aren't.*

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think that if you make the effort to try and know some students, it will definitely help.

I also hear going to class helps the situation.

happydays said:
Hello!

I'm a nervous pre-M1 student. Lots of people told me that I'll be making tons new friends and dating like crazy in undergrad, but that didn't happen. Now I'm scared that it'll happen again in med school.

In your seasoned experience, was it hard for you to make friends or date fellow students as a med student?

Also for the female students out there, is it hard to find boyfriends, since lots of men are intimidated by your success?

Thank you everyone!
It will be the same as undergrad (although I will be an M1 next year, this is what I have gathered). If you want to make tons of new friends and date like crazy, you can. It's just that you need to take the initiative. The easiest time is right at the beginning of the year. Everyone will be looking to meet people and get involved in a new social circle. This is the best time to approach new people and to expand your connections. As for getting over the nervous thing, you just need to force yourself into situations that you would feel uncomfortable in normally. You will learn to deal with meeting strangers, even though it may suck at the beginning.

As for finding a boyfriend, I can only speak from a dude's perspective here: Focus on making yourself attractive if you want a boyfriend. This means staying (or getting) in shape, dressing well, doing all that girly nonsense you do to look good (you may say this is lame, but this is what almost every guy will notice first). It also means meeting as many new people as you can. Guys are always willing to meet new girls. Just because you aren't particularly interested in a particular person doesn't mean you won't be interested in someone you meet through him/her. Keep your options open, and try not to burn your bridges you build at the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
happydays said:
Hello!

Also for the female students out there, is it hard to find boyfriends, since lots of men are intimidated by your success?

Thank you everyone!

i think it is a gross generalization to say that most men are intimidated by your success..................... i cant imagine many dates if you keep that attitude up with men

I said "lots" NOT "most." And I don't mean most either. It's just that if they ask, "what do you do," you say "doctor," or "lawyer" lots of them will back away. It's just the truth. Maybe not other male doctors, but it's true with the general public.

I have tons of friends in med school, and it wasn't hard for them to make new friends.

From what I've gathered from them, med school is sorta like highschool where people form cliques, which is just a product of the smaller environment of med school. However, as others pointed out it is up to you to be able to find a group with which to connect with.

You'll find other people who share your interests and who share your interests. In many ways, med school is similar to undergrad in that there are organizations such as AMSA, AMA, and so forth with which you can participate in. If you go to national conferences you'll even connect with out of state students at various med schools. I'd imagine getting involved is the best way to meet new faces and get to know people.

happydays said:
Hello!

Thank you everyone!

You don't want to date people from med school if it doesn't work out, it can be disastrous. Intimidated by your success??? On what planet?

But then again you may be able to find someone who is not intimated of you the mighty MS1 student to be!

tupac_don said:
You don't want to date people from med school if it doesn't work out, it can be disastrous. Intimidated by your success??? On what planet?

But then again you may be able to find someone who is not intimated of you the mighty MS1 student to be!

"Intimidated by your success" is just an self-centered excuse that is given to ignore the real issue causing the problem. Comparable to: 'you're to good for him!' ... 'you don't need him anyways!' ... etc. Most guys like money and that is what they see a young female doc as....

One big thing I see sometimes in female (&male) med students is anal-retentive-bit*hyness. I think med school selects for these personalities -so they are perhaps a little more prevalent (like a 25% increase). So it would be well advised to not be nit-picky or overly demanding of your boyfriend/girlfriend (try not to hold them to the high standards that you set for yourself!).

Jeeesus, I'm only looking for friendly, sound advice. I only "suspect" the males in the general public are intimidated because I was taught that men have to bring home the greater income. Yeah, there will be lots of exceptions, but there are still people who feel this way, especially down the road. Those who say that money inequality in a relationship is not a problem is only considering the best case scenario.

If you have some experience on what it's like to make friends in med school, please add it. If you are not even in med school yet and don't know what it's like, please don't ASSUME I'm a man-hating antisocial!

happydays said:

I tend to agree with tupac and fun8stuff that the "intimidated by a successful woman" assertation is more often an excuse than a fact. (See the oncologist on the first episode of this season's "the Bachelor" as a perfect example :) ).
As to how hard to date fellow students - it's not an issue of being hard to do, it's an issue of living in a small fishbowl with only 100 other fish, for the next several years, and the gossip that travels up and down that grapevine throughout your relationship and inevitable messy break up. Med students have nothing else going on in their life, so the focus on their classmates tends to be tenfold... Not advisable.

happydays said:
Jeeesus, I'm only looking for friendly, sound advice. I only "suspect" the males in the general public are intimidated because I was taught that men have to bring home the greater income. Yeah, there will be lots of exceptions, but there are still people who feel this way, especially down the road. Those who say that money inequality in a relationship is not a problem is only considering the best case scenario.

If you have some experience on what it's like to make friends in med school, please add it. If you are not even in med school yet and don't know what it's like, please don't ASSUME I'm a man-hating antisocial![/QUOTE

Who says we are not in med school, both me and fun8stuff are in med school.

Interesting, I would think everyone in med school would be super nice to each other even if they secretly hated everyone in order to network.

I think if I just make myself more available, it would be enough. Come to think of it, all I did "wrong" as an undergrad was only focusing on school. I don't lack anything. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
tupac_don said:
happydays said:

If you have some experience on what it's like to make friends in med school, please add it. If you are not even in med school yet and don't know what it's like, please don't ASSUME I'm a man-hating antisocial![/QUOTE

Who says we are not in med school, both me and fun8stuff are in med school.

word.

Ok, even if you ARE in med school, please don't attack me like I'm a man-hater when I'm just bringing up a concern. I'm ONLY concerned, and I'm not sure what it's like in med school.

happydays said:

If you have some experience on what it's like to make friends in med school, please add it. If you are not even in med school yet and don't know what it's like, please don't ASSUME I'm a man-hating antisocial!

I don't think men in my class are intimidated of me because of that fact I'm going to be a doctor. I think it has to do more with my 6 inch stilettos. :idea: :laugh:

Seriously-most educated guys aren't intimidated by that kind of thing. My SO isn't in medical school but it doesn't bother him that I'll be making more money in like...50 years when I finish my residency... :laugh:

yposhelley said:
I don't think men in my class are intimidated of me because of that fact I'm going to be a doctor. I think it has to do more with my 6 inch stilettos. :idea: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

happydays said:
Ok, even if you ARE in med school, please don't attack me like I'm a man-hater when I'm just bringing up a concern. I'm ONLY concerned, and I'm not sure what it's like in med school.

For what it's worth, you don't sound like a man-hater and I think you're perfectly right to be concerned. I'm a married female medical student--my husband is a doctoral student at another school in the same city in another scientific field. I'm telling you this to show that it is possible as a female medical student to be happy in balanced relationship and also so no one can accuse me of being a man-hating, crazy single woman.

In general, the single women in my class, especially URM ladies of the class, do have a harder time meeting men than the men do meeting women. The bottom line is that there are a good number of men out there that rightly or wrongly, will be somewhat intimidated or taken aback by what you are doing with your life. I'd say every male member of my family, while fully supporting me and proud of what I do, would NEVER marry a female physician. And these aren't backwards, crotch-scratching, beer-drinking kind of men--they're doctors, lawyers, acountants, and engineers. It's just engrained in our culture for men to be the primary breadwinners. Plenty of men have no problem with a full time working wife, but deep down, I believe the majority still want to earn a little more at the end of the day than their wives do. It's still more readily expected and accepted for a women to give up a good job to follow her husband's career to another city than vice versa. Of course these are generalities and obviously there are many exceptions (my own husband), but unless you have grown up in one of a few select very large, very liberal cities, these generalities are true.

It's easy to say, "Oh, you don't want to be with any guy who is intimidated by your success anyway," but most people don't want to be single forever either. Honestly, I know a lot of people, male and female, who have found online dating services to be a very good thing. Maybe right out of undergrad is still a little young, but as a current M3, I'm absolutely amazed by the number of people I now know that use match.com, j-date, eharmony.com, etc.

pillowhead said:
Plenty of men have no problem with a full time working wife, but deep down, I believe the majority still want to earn a little more at the end of the day than their wives do.

I suspect there are more than enough Kevin Federline types out there to go around.
I think it might be worth noting that basically all the male posters on here are telling the prior poster that most men aren't really going to turn down a woman based on her career success. There may be some cultural bias in some pockets of the country, but I certainly think it is far less widespread than you or that prior poster suggest.

Law2Doc said:
I suspect there are more than enough Kevin Federline types out there to go around.
I think it might be worth noting that basically all the male posters on here are telling the prior poster that most men aren't really going to turn down a woman based on her career success. There may be some cultural bias in some pockets of the country, but I certainly think it is far less widespread than you or that prior poster suggest.

But have you heard Kevin Federline rap?

Seriously though, I just disagree. I think the males responding to an online medical student forum are really only representative of a very select group of people--not even of educated, well-earning men in general. I would expect most men in the medical field to be more open to dating a female physician than non-physician men: same general interests, likely that the male would still earn more anyway, proximity (i.e. it's just hard to meet people outside the medical field as a medical student/resident.)

pillowhead said:
For what it's worth, you don't sound like a man-hater and I think you're perfectly right to be concerned. I'm a married female medical student--my husband is a doctoral student at another school in the same city in another scientific field. I'm telling you this to show that it is possible as a female medical student to be happy in balanced relationship and also so no one can accuse me of being a man-hating, crazy single woman.

In general, the single women in my class, especially URM ladies of the class, do have a harder time meeting men than the men do meeting women. The bottom line is that there are a good number of men out there that rightly or wrongly, will be somewhat intimidated or taken aback by what you are doing with your life. I'd say every male member of my family, while fully supporting me and proud of what I do, would NEVER marry a female physician. And these aren't backwards, crotch-scratching, beer-drinking kind of men--they're doctors, lawyers, acountants, and engineers. It's just engrained in our culture for men to be the primary breadwinners. Plenty of men have no problem with a full time working wife, but deep down, I believe the majority still want to earn a little more at the end of the day than their wives do. It's still more readily expected and accepted for a women to give up a good job to follow her husband's career to another city than vice versa. Of course these are generalities and obviously there are many exceptions (my own husband), but unless you have grown up in one of a few select very large, very liberal cities, these generalities are true.

It's easy to say, "Oh, you don't want to be with any guy who is intimidated by your success anyway," but most people don't want to be single forever either. Honestly, I know a lot of people, male and female, who have found online dating services to be a very good thing. Maybe right out of undergrad is still a little young, but as a current M3, I'm absolutely amazed by the number of people I now know that use match.com, j-date, eharmony.com, etc.
Thank you, Pillowhead, for understanding!

Although most women in my family are happily married doctors, they also tell me now I've just narrowed my selection pool by 10-fold. Verses for a man, getting into med school means greatly widening their pool.

Thanks for giving me your sincere advice and sharing your story. I will be hopeful.

pillowhead said:
Honestly, I know a lot of people, male and female, who have found online dating services to be a very good thing. Maybe right out of undergrad is still a little young, but as a current M3, I'm absolutely amazed by the number of people I now know that use match.com, j-date, eharmony.com, etc.

Yeah, I found this to be common too.

happydays said:
Although most women in my family are happily married doctors, they also tell me now I've just narrowed my selection pool by 10-fold. Verses for a man, getting into med school means greatly widening their pool.

:laugh: :laugh: Reminds me of this season of "The Bachelor."

happydays said:
Hello!

Also for the female students out there, is it hard to find boyfriends, since lots of men are intimidated by your success? *NOTE: Please don't assume I'm saying EVERY man is like this; lots of them aren't.*

Thank you everyone!

I dont think med school is a harder place to find men to date...well maybe a little harder because of time constraints.

i'd say date quality not quantity, unless you get really stressed out and horny. most guys i know are pretty stressed and horny too and are willing to get it on with a fellow med student, provided she is slightly attractive and nobody knows about it b/c med schl is pretty gossipy.

if u are slightly above looking on average, med schl guys will think you are the most gorgeous creature ever to walk through their school (myself included....i've found my standards dropping every year i'm in here, and i'm sure girls drop their standards too).

i havent dated many female students and i'll tell u why. its not that i'm intimidated by succesful women. its that the girls i have met are usually overly competetive, slightly narcissistic, cardboard boring and superficial. not that they are any different from the guys b/c they are on average the same. the girls i really liked were the one's who were funny, not asking everyone what grade they got or how hard they thought the last exam was, had interests outside of medicine, were laid back and didnt go around calling other people a "gunner" (b/c these are usually the biggest gunners) etc.

i've found that i get along with the quieter med student. the one who is not chair of every organization and if she does stuff, its genuine, she studies hard but doesnt ask other people about how much they studied (b/c it conversation cant get more boring than that), didnt think their life was over b/c they didnt honor the last exam, didnt compare her grades to mine (bc i think this is psychotically ridiculous) and was funny and into a little TLC. i've found a good number of these chill types amongst my friends. i've made a few friends that i'm sure i'll keep my entire life. havent met a perfect woman yet, but that's more of a time issue right now....there are a lot of cute girls in med schl, but its the psycho factor that keeps guys away. its what makes guys dump the girl immediately or pray for her to chill out and think about slipping sedatives in her drink (that was a joke).

i am sure some of you women can apply this post to the psycho guys in med schl.

pillowhead said:
I think the males responding to an online medical student forum are really only representative of a very select group of people--not even of educated, well-earning men in general. I would expect most men in the medical field to be more open to dating a female physician than non-physician men: same general interests, likely that the male would still earn more anyway

Well, speaking as someone who was in another totally unrelated profession altogether before medicine, and probably knows more people outside of the medical field than in, I can assure you that the viewpoint I suggested isn't limited to those in the medical field. I'm sure the viewpoint you are concerned about exists, I just doubt it's as pervasive as you seem to want to believe. Quite simply, a woman's career aspirations (or lack thereof) are not going to be the most important determining factor in determining her lovelife prospects.

marcus_aurelius said:
i've found that i get along with the quieter med student. the one who is not chair of every organization and if she does stuff, its genuine, she studies hard but doesnt ask other people about how much they studied (b/c it conversation cant get more boring than that), didnt think their life was over b/c they didnt honor the last exam, didnt compare her grades to mine (bc i think this is psychotically ridiculous) and was funny and into a little TLC. i've found a good number of these chill types amongst my friends. i've made a few friends that i'm sure i'll keep my entire life. havent met a perfect woman yet, but that's more of a time issue right now....there are a lot of cute girls in med schl, but its the psycho factor that keeps guys away. its what makes guys dump the girl immediately or pray for her to chill out and think about slipping sedatives in her drink (that was a joke).

i am sure some of you women can apply this post to the psycho guys in med schl.

:laugh: I think most of us (men and women) are like that to some degree. I for one wouldn't want to be married to another type A. Although-once I got to medical school, I realized I was at the very low end of type A-barely qualifying. Where do my fellow medical students find the time to do all this EC stuff? I mean, clubs, organizations, volunteering, shadowing, scrub-in training, it goes on and on. :laugh:

etudiante04 said:
:laugh: :laugh: Reminds me of this season of "The Bachelor."
There's a reason why it's "the bachelor" and not "the bachelorette." The show is centered around a successful, good looking man, but not a successful, good looking woman. Why? Hummm... Think about it.

I have a question for those of you who are dating-

I have this friend who is obsessed with this girl in our class-he has been obsessing over her since the begininng of the year, following her around like a dog. He failed two tests this past monday because he was so involved with this stuff. She has told him she didn't want to date him on more than one occasion-however he doesn't get it and I suspect that she isn't being completely firm with him (or maybe he is just psycho).

Anyways, after listening to him talk on and on about it for the upteenth time I finally told him he was wasting his time-that he needs to focus on his school. I was irritated because we had been interviewing a patient and he rushed us out early so he could go meet this girl and talk about their 'problems' and he was desperate because he had been trying to get her to do this meeting with him for a month and he didn't want to be late. He told me some BS-like he was going to tell her they couldn't be friends and I said "no you're not-your going to look for any drop of hope that she might finally date you. You are totally obsessed with her-she knows it-and whats more-you don't want to be friends with her-you want to be her boyfriend-so that is why your 'friendship' is not working out. "

Now I feel kind of bad. Its been so long since I was in the dating scene I forget what its like. Was I too harsh? I mean-I would appreciate someone talking straight with me-but maybe I wasn't being a good friend?? What do you guys think?

happydays said:
There's a reason why it's "the bachelor" and not "the bachelorette." The show is centered around a successful, good looking man, but not a successful, good looking woman. Why? Hummm... Think about it.

Um, there actually is a the Bachelorette show. They alternate. Usually the runner up gal from the Bachelor gets the next show. (Trista from the first season, Jen from the Andrew Firestone season etc.) Sounds pretty non-sexist to me. :rolleyes:

yposhelley said:
I have a question for those of you who are dating-

I have this friend who is obsessed with this girl in our class-he has been obsessing over her since the begininng of the year, following her around like a dog. He failed two tests this past monday because he was so involved with this stuff. She has told him she didn't want to date him on more than one occasion-however he doesn't get it and I suspect that she is being completely firm with him (or maybe he is just psycho).

Anyways, after listening to him talk on and on about it for the upteenth time I finally told him he was wasting his time-that he needs to focus on his school. I was irritated because we had been interviewing a patient and he rushed us out early so he could go meet this girl and talk about their 'problems' and he was desperate because he had been trying to get her to do this meeting with him for a month and he didn't want to be late. He told me some BS-like he was going to tell her they couldn't be friends and I said "no you're not-your going to look for any drop of hope that she might finally date you. You are totally obsessed with her-she knows it-and whats more-you don't want to be friends with her-you want to be her boyfriend-so that is why your 'friendship' is not working out. "

Now I feel kind of bad. Its been so long since I was in the dating scene I forget what its like. Was I too harsh? I mean-I would appreciate someone talking straight with me-but maybe I wasn't being a good friend?? What do you guys think?

good friend = being straightforward (the truth sometimes hurts)

your male friend failed two exams and is still chasing her....he needs to see a therapist...i'm not joking.

if i ever date another med schl girl again, we need to have a lot in common outside of medicine ie. sports, music etc. it is refreshing getting into the other stuff too. i think extra currics are over-rated. how much time can someone spend doing "medical" stuff and still be balanced. i think its all a load of crap most of the time....raise thousand dollars, fly to belize, do "medical" voluntary work of maybe transporting some diapers around and injecting some people (by the way, u could pay a guy 5 bucks to do that...1000/5 = 200x the manpower = 200 times the help...just give the clinic u're money if u so eagerly want to help them.) if u want to take a vacation, then open up a lemonade stand and take a real vacation...ie...cancun- drinking, smokin, womenizing etc. if u want to kiss a residency directors a**, do research.

i'd like to date a female marine biologist....we can have a three way with flipper (joke)

i could use a nap now while spooning a cuddly and warm female med student.

Law2Doc said:
Um, there actually is a the Bachelorette show. They alternate. Usually the runner up gal from the Bachelor gets the next show. (Trista from the first season, Jen from the Andrew Firestone season etc.) Sounds pretty non-sexist to me. :rolleyes:
But the bachelorette isn't neccessarily SUCCESSFUL. How many doctors, lawyers, CEO's, or professors land the bachelorette position?

happydays said:
But the bachelorette isn't neccessarily SUCCESSFUL. How many doctors, lawyers, CEO's, or professors land the bachelorette position?

The last one was some sort of account exec. Since I think there have only been about 3 seasons, asking how many professionals at this juncture is premature. But in all fairness, since they tend to be the runner up from the Bachelor shows, it isn't the network that is actually selecting them. It just tends to be a consolation prize.

Law2Doc said:
The last one was some sort of account exec. Since I think there have only been about 3 seasons, asking how many professionals at this juncture is premature. But in all fairness, since they tend to be the runner up from the Bachelor shows, it isn't the network that is actually selecting them. It just tends to be a consolation prize.
The first season was, nevertheless, called 'the bachelor." They only started the bachelorette when the first couple didn't work out and the network thought it would be fun to give the girl a second shot. There's a reason why it didn't start out as "the bachelorette" and have "the bachelor" added on.

happydays said:
The first season was, nevertheless, called 'the bachelor." They only started the bachelorette when the first couple didn't work out and the network thought it would be fun to give the girl a second shot. There's a reason why it didn't start out as "the bachelorette" and have "the bachelor" added on.

A few posts back you denied that there was a bachelorette show at all. Now you are protesting that it wasn't first. Sheesh...

Law2Doc said:
A few posts back you denied that there was a bachelorette show at all. Now you are protesting that it wasn't first. Sheesh...

funny thing...

i always thought the girls in my class that got better grades than me were less likely to want to date me bc they would want to find men that are more intelligent and have a greater financial earning potential than them.

i think the situation goes both ways. i think most med schl girls have much higher financial expectations and expect the guy to be making more than them...so she could buy a more expensive prada all day long and be a bazzilionaire.

i've found that even the uglier girls are complete gold diggers.

its all explained on www.laddertheory.com

i think its pretty much on the money....at least 80 percent accurate.

translated....if u're a guy not in med schl making significantly less money or a future family practicioner....u'd have to settle for a REALLY ugly med schl girl who would likely b**** to you the rest of her life about how her med schl female friend and her hubby just bought a new house in a really wealthy neighborhood and got the latest most expensive BMW.....WHO wants that...every time you looked at her nasty face and listened to her nagging you'd get depressed...and we're talking MAJOR DSM IV depression!

if u managed to land a hot one, there would be very high chance that she would dump you b4 marriage or divorce you after marriage to marry a hot stud male doctor making more money.

better to just marry the financially dependent yet totally HOT aerobics instructor who likes kids, needs your money and likes to brag to all her dumb-a** friends about how her hubby is a doctor.

as for the hot med schl girls who are very ambitious and want a man to sit home and take care of the kids, well, i just dont get them...maybe some kind of psychiatric disorder?

I know there are some good exceptions to this but I def agree with other posters that dating someone out of medical is very refreshing. Dating someone outside my class this year has really helped me keep my head on straight. Having someone outside of school, who has nothing to do with medicine keeps me well rounded and exposed to new things. It has also provided a way to meet other non med students, always a bonus.

"dont piss in your own pond"

I'm not in med school yet, but I'm going to be an MS1 next year, and when I meet guys and tell them I'm getting my Master's degree in Neuroscience and I'm going to medical school I'd say about 50% of them are cool with that and impressed and the other 50% are like "oh... wow... cool..." and are at a loss for words. Maybe they're not intimidated, maybe they just don't really know what to say after that, but that can definitely be a conversation killer. So I would agree that there are guys out there that are intimidated by smart women.

If you do, you've made your own bed and now you'll have to lie in it.

yposhelley said:
If you do, you've made your own bed and now you'll have to lie in it.

and not leave left-overs because there are people starving in this world.

marcus_aurelius said:
and not leave left-overs because there are people starving in this world.

...so hungry they could eat leftover sausages and peaches...

this world is going to hell in a handbasket...

diosa428 said:
I'm not in med school yet, but I'm going to be an MS1 next year, and when I meet guys and tell them I'm getting my Master's degree in Neuroscience and I'm going to medical school I'd say about 50% of them are cool with that and impressed and the other 50% are like "oh... wow... cool..." and are at a loss for words. Maybe they're not intimidated, maybe they just don't really know what to say after that, but that can definitely be a conversation killer. So I would agree that there are guys out there that are intimidated by smart women.
Yeah, and when people ask me what my major is, I say chem and most responses are something on the order of "that's hard!" and the conversation ends. I swear, next time I'm just going to say communications.

Law2Doc said:
What I was saying is that it started with "the bachelor" and not the other way around. They only added the bachelorette when they broke up. People like seeing girls fighting over a rich guy and not guys fighting over a rich girl.

marcus_aurelius said:
translated....if u're a guy not in med schl making significantly less money or a future family practicioner....u'd have to settle for a REALLY ugly med schl girl who would likely b**** to you the rest of her life about how her med schl female friend and her hubby just bought a new house in a really wealthy neighborhood and got the latest most expensive BMW.....WHO wants that...every time you looked at her nasty face and listened to her nagging you'd get depressed...and we're talking MAJOR DSM IV depression!

if u managed to land a hot one, there would be very high chance that she would dump you b4 marriage or divorce you after marriage to marry a hot stud male doctor making more money.

better to just marry the financially dependent yet totally HOT aerobics instructor who likes kids, needs your money and likes to brag to all her dumb-a** friends about how her hubby is a doctor.

as for the hot med schl girls who are very ambitious and want a man to sit home and take care of the kids, well, i just dont get them...maybe some kind of psychiatric disorder?
haha. you do have a point there. So probably the best thing to do is to be a mediocre student with mediocre looks. :laugh:

marcus_aurelius said:

I like the way you think Marcus Aurelius.

diosa428 said:

I doubt they are intimidated by you perse. I mean I tell people I am in med school, I have a doctorate as well, some people say great some people are at a loss of words. So what you are saying is that girls are reacting that way b/c they are initimidated of my brains??? Have you considered that people just respond like that generally, not that they are intimidated by you perse. I don't think that any guy is intimidated by a girl with education, its more that highly educated women, "don't want to settle" and are highly choosy.

I don't think many guys would care if they called the shots even though their wife is a doctor. Problem is that generally highly educated women typically look for someone who is more successful than them or somebody where they can wear the pants in the relationship. And I think that most guys won't allow that, so hence the prevailing sense that men are "intimidated". Its more that most men won't allow that to happen. Like someone said here, why have an ugly doctor wife who's gonna nag you, when you can have a hot aerobics instructor, who's gonna tell all her hot friends you are a doctor. Hmmm tough choice here.

yposhelley said:
...so hungry they could eat leftover sausages and peaches......

ummmm, u lost me at sausages.....i'm picturing someone hot eating what appears to be a sausage, oh wait...that's not a sausage :love: