Meeting w/ prof

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc1459

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am meeting with a professor this week to write a letter of rec for me. I'm putting together an academic resume to send him. I was just wondering if anyone has met w/ a prof for an interview like this before and has any advice about what to expect and wear? I took his class last semester and went to office hours, but since the class is so big he likes to interview students before writing letters.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what your professor is like, but maybe you should ask other students who have one the same. I've met with all my professors that wrote me letters, but each time it was different. One asked me for a letter explaining who I was, and then i met with him and we spoke for an hour. Another had me fill out various pre-made forms that she had created for when students ask for letters. Another professor asked me just to come by for a quick chat and asked me to bring a transcript so he could see how i did in other classes. And the last professor invited me to play golf with her.

Bring your personal statement and your resume. Your professor will probably ask you simple questions like mine did (why you wan't to be a dentist or strengths/weaknesses). Just expect simple questions to give your professor a chance to know you better and to help write a more personal letter.

Like the previous post, I've also gone through various types of semi-formal interviews with faculty at my undergrad school for getting my LORs.

If this professor is potentially one of your "strong" LOR writers, then I would take it seriously enough to give a good "presentation" of yourself.

Even if you'd might look and feel weird about getting dressed up to show up at his/her office on campus (when it's half empty by now since its summer break), I believe that impressions do play apart.

Whether you like it or not, the way you present yourself can help (but not hurt) your efforts to convince your professor that you are VERY SERIOUS about getting into dental school.

I also think that your appointment should be taken as a practice interview.

I've managed to practice my interviewing skills by taking all my appointments somewhat seriously... I can honestly say that it has eased my nervousness when I have to "present" myself.

Good Luck to you!!!