You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2020
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Rizzy_Riah
New Member
HEY! So it's no longer invitation only but if I apply directly to the MHS program as a linkage do I have to have taken the GRE or DAT already?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rizzy_Riah
New Member
I emailed admissions to verify but i haven’t heard back. There is an application on their website tho but yeah I’m still waiting for verification.
Only the dental school is allowing direct MHS applications. You will need to have taken the DAT or GRE already. Preferably DAT just to make yourself more desirable. Medical students will be invite only this cycle.
MHS classes are not transferrable, however, doing well in those classes can almost guarentee that you will have a MUCH smoother transition into dental/medical school At Meharry!
Good luck!
MHS classes are not transferrable, however, doing well in those classes can almost guarentee that you will have a MUCH smoother transition into dental/medical school At Meharry!
Good luck!
its a one year program. You start in August, program ends in April, then graduation in MayDoes anyone know how long the MHS program is? I'm still waiting to hear back about an interview as well
kayrenee16
New Member
Hi does anyone know when the deadline is to submit an application to the mhs program ?
May 13!Hi does anyone know when the deadline is to submit an application to the mhs program ?
kayrenee16
New Member
May 13!
Thank you!
its a one year program. You start in August, program ends in April, then graduation in May
Thanks for that info? Did you do this program?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pinkacademy
Full Member
Does anyone know when we’ll receive a decision?
Rizzy_Riah
New Member
I spoke with someone in Dental School admissions and they told me that the MHS was still invite only so I'm confused. Should I just apply anyway?
gettinginclassof2020
Full Member
I spoke to someone around octoberish of last year and he told me that they were changing how you could apply to the MHS program. He said that you still apply by way of invite or that at the beginning of the year which would've been January of this year, that the application would be open to everyone.
Just wondering for the medical school admissions....Do you have to have the MCAT taken for this program? I took it once and did horrible but I don't want to even share that score. Literally about to submit the application now so just looking for clarification.
Just wondering for the medical school admissions....Do you have to have the MCAT taken for this program? I took it once and did horrible but I don't want to even share that score. Literally about to submit the application now so just looking for clarification.
Yes, i did do this program last year.Thanks for that info? Did you do this program?
That sounds right, they really want to expand the program to allow people who havent applied to medical and dental school apply directly to the mhs program, but being completely honest, chances of being accepted without applying to the med/dental schools is pretty slim.I spoke to someone around octoberish of last year and he told me that they were changing how you could apply to the MHS program. He said that you still apply by way of invite or that at the beginning of the year which would've been January of this year, that the application would be open to everyone.
Just wondering for the medical school admissions....Do you have to have the MCAT taken for this program? I took it once and did horrible but I don't want to even share that score. Literally about to submit the application now so just looking for clarification.
You DO need to have taken the MCAT or DAT, but they will also accept GRE scores (but again, your chances of being accepted are slim if you dont have a MCAT or DAT score). if you at least have a MCAT score for them to reference then you can be considered for the program. You will have to retake the exams to get a certain score to be accepted into schools once the program ends (503 on MCAT or 17 on DAT). They have a MCAT prep program that will help you prepare for the tests that must be retaken by January.
pinkacademy
Full Member
How long did it take you to get an acceptance? I’ve read in other threads that it took as long as July...Yes, i did do this program last year.
Yea, some people can be accepted late. However, the bulk of this incoming MHS class will know whether they are accepted before June. However, they are always readjusting the class sizes so some people will get acceptances as late as July, but thats rare.How long did it take you to get an acceptance? I’ve read in other threads that it took as long as July...
gettinginclassof2020
Full Member
Yea, some people can be accepted late. However, the bulk of this incoming MHS class will know whether they are accepted before June. However, they are always readjusting the class sizes so some people will get acceptances as late as July, but thats rare.
Do you mind sharing your stats?
Did you get an inv to the medical MHS?Does anyone know what the pre-requisite classes are for the MHS program I can’t seem to find it online.
gettinginclassof2020
Full Member
I didn’t get invited I just applied
Did you get an inv to the medical MHS?
No, but I interviewed with the dental school.
Does anyone know what the pre-requisite classes are for the MHS program I can’t seem to find it online.
There isn’t mention of any specific pre-reqs, but once accepted you’ll need to reapply to the Medical/Dental school. As long as you have the pre-req classes Meharry requires for you’re track, you should be fine.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn’t get invited I just applied
how did you apply without invite, can you please send us the link so I can apply MHS medical too?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlist people got it in July (med side)How long did it take you to get an acceptance? I’ve read in other threads that it took as long as July...
pinkacademy
Full Member
I’ve been wondering the same thing. Has anyone gotten anything?Does anyone know how COVID-19 will affect the MHS application process? Has anyone heard from Meharry on this topic?
kayrenee16
New Member
Does anyone know how COVID-19 will affect the MHS application process? Has anyone heard from Meharry on this topic?
Someone on the Meharry Medical School Forum said this "So I called today just to see the status of everything and they said that pretty much everything is on hold because of what's going on right now. They said that they won't be making a lot of decisions as most of the admissions committee is in quarantine so... it seems like most things are up in the air" So I'm guessing the same will apply to this program.
I'm confused, where is the link for this program
Hey anyone that applied directly can you please help me on applying, I've been searching for the link for a few days now. Thank you!I'm confused, where is the link for this program
Chels1017
Full Member
Just click on the apply link. There will be options for Masters and PhD programs.Hey anyone that applied directly can you please help me on applying, I've been searching for the link for a few days now. Thank you!
@Chels1017 is right.Hey anyone that applied directly can you please help me on applying, I've been searching for the link for a few days now. Thank you!
Create an account to setup your application (username and password). Login and select which program you want to apply to/attend. Select MHS (Master of Health Science).
I received an email asking to resend transcripts and test scores a couple of days ago.Has anyone had any updates to your application since the Covid-19 Outbreak?
D
deleted1036124
Anyone on here applied to Meharry's MD program and received an invitation to MHS program recently?
What are the odds you'll receive an invite to the MHS program if you've already interviewed for med/dent?
Better than most. All dents get interviewed and of the ones that get interviewed about 18 - 22 will be invited to MHS after being rejected as a dental applicant. In my experience. On my interview day there was like 8 people. 2 got accepted directly into the Dental school, and the other 6 was accepted into MHS. So if you got an interview stay positive!
The Medical students are moreso selected by how well they look on paper, and how well their application is (I believe there is some essay or video questions now?) They mostly use those to select how many medical students get accepted. There are A LOT more medical spots than dental spots, for example. This year there are about 70 pre-med students in MHS.
Good luck. Hopefully the virus doesn’t ruin the admissions process for yall. Stay safe!
D
deleted1036124
After getting accepted into MHS dental, what do students need to maintain (GPA and DAT) to guarantee admission into dental school the following year?Better than most. All dents get interviewed and of the ones that get interviewed about 18 - 22 will be invited to MHS after being rejected as a dental applicant. In my experience. On my interview day there was like 8 people. 2 got accepted directly into the Dental school, and the other 6 was accepted into MHS. So if you got an interview stay positive!
The Medical students are moreso selected by how well they look on paper, and how well their application is (I believe there is some essay or video questions now?) They mostly use those to select how many medical students get accepted. There are A LOT more medical spots than dental spots, for example. This year there are about 70 pre-med students in MHS.
Good luck. Hopefully the virus doesn’t ruin the admissions process for yall. Stay safe!
Do they look at just the gpa and MCAT or the application as a whole?Better than most. All dents get interviewed and of the ones that get interviewed about 18 - 22 will be invited to MHS after being rejected as a dental applicant. In my experience. On my interview day there was like 8 people. 2 got accepted directly into the Dental school, and the other 6 was accepted into MHS. So if you got an interview stay positive!
The Medical students are moreso selected by how well they look on paper, and how well their application is (I believe there is some essay or video questions now?) They mostly use those to select how many medical students get accepted. There are A LOT more medical spots than dental spots, for example. This year there are about 70 pre-med students in MHS.
Good luck. Hopefully the virus doesn’t ruin the admissions process for yall. Stay safe!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know what are some specifics they look at when reviewing an applicant for an interview and acceptance?That sounds right, they really want to expand the program to allow people who havent applied to medical and dental school apply directly to the mhs program, but being completely honest, chances of being accepted without applying to the med/dental schools is pretty slim.
You DO need to have taken the MCAT or DAT, but they will also accept GRE scores (but again, your chances of being accepted are slim if you dont have a MCAT or DAT score). if you at least have a MCAT score for them to reference then you can be considered for the program. You will have to retake the exams to get a certain score to be accepted into schools once the program ends (503 on MCAT or 17 on DAT). They have a MCAT prep program that will help you prepare for the tests that must be retaken by January.
Chels1017
Full Member
Me too! Fingers crossedI received an email asking to resend transcripts and test scores a couple of days ago.
Last year it was 3.0 and 17DAT, but they may change that this year.After getting accepted into MHS dental, what do students need to maintain (GPA and DAT) to guarantee admission into dental school the following year?
The GPA and MCAT gets your foot in the door, but then after that they look at the application as a whole. They dont accept anybody that they dont think can make it in the school. So if you have like, a 480 MCAT and you seem to be a decent student do well in classes, and have a very well put together application. I think that they would be more inclined to accept you into MHS to give you a chance to get the 503 needed and continue to excel in classes. Obviously, I’m not on the admissions board so dont stake too much on this, but I do know that there were plenty of past MHS people who had a lower MCAT score, and they went through MHS, got the score they needed and went on to med school.Do they look at just the gpa and MCAT or the application as a whole?
As far as specifics that the admissions committee looks for, I do not know What things may stand out to them the most. I would just say be your authentic self and let that show through your application and eventual interview date.
D
deleted1036124
anyone on here who applied to med school and got invited into MHS program?