Memorizing Physics Formulas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What really helps me remember them is not memorizing them but instead trying to understand the relationships that construct them in the first place. For example, all of the constant acceleration equations can be derived from v=d/t and v=vo + at if you understand how. Try that

Does anyone have any good tricks or tips on memorizing physics formulas? I am having trouble memorizing them.

units... deriving equation by units.... also write about their rationale, and the relationships they indicate... for instance...

Bernoulli's equation:

P+pgh+(1/2)pv^2=K

this is the energy conservation for fluids.. K=a constant specific to a fluid in a given situation, P=pressure, p= density, g= gravity, h=height, v=velocity
P=KE of random translation motion, pgh=potential energy, (1/2)pv^2=KE of uniform translation motion

from this equation we can see that velocity and pressure are inversely proportional... as velocity increases, pressure decreases (and temperature decreases) and visa versa...

I hope this helps...

Good luck studying! :)

I just memorized all the equations. I made a list of all the equations we needed to know and memorized ten equations per day. I was done within five days.

After I memorized the equations, I then read the study book to see how to properly use them. This might seem backwards, but it worked for me and the books made a lot more sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you read chapters thoroughly they will be in your head automatically.
At least, that's how it works for me.

I think TBR has some unnecessary equations that will be provided in the passages if you need them..

Certainly the best way is to understand them and be able to derive them etc. This wasn't my cup of tea, I just don't think that way. I just did practice question after practice question until I knew them cold. Even if you have to repeat questions that is fine, you may already know the answer but you still have to come up with the proper equation to figure it out.

Survivor DO

As others have mentioned, frequent application through practice passages/questions and understanding the concept behind the formulas will make them stick.

As others have mentioned, frequent application through practice passages/questions and understanding the concept behind the formulas will make them stick.

This ^!

We tend to recall algorithms in conjunction with equations, so if you can find a trigger within each question that helps you recognize the key information, recall the formula, and know the pathway you'll be better off than just knowing a list of equations.

Note to SN2ed: Thanks once again for all of the time and energy you spend (and spent) with great advice. Everytime I read the latest this is how to suceed on the MCAT thread, and mind you most are filled with some good insights, I notice that they are pretty much what you've said long before (just reworded).

I used the EK books and every time I would get a new equation I would write it on my about 2 feet x 2 feet poster hanging in my room. I grouped all the equations by topic. I couldn't help but looking at it every day and they just started to stick in my memory. Looking at all of the equations as a whole helped me a lot. It will at least help for straight memorization of the equations but it also helped connecting the equations to one another how it is used on the MCAT. I did this for physics and some chem.

What really helps me remember them is not memorizing them but instead trying to understand the relationships that construct them in the first place. For example, all of the constant acceleration equations can be derived from v=d/t and v=vo + at if you understand how. Try that

While this may be help in theory, if you do not do enough practice problems like SN2ed suggested, even understanding the relationships will not help you. You must practice them consistently and diligently until you've done enough questions where when you read (the first few words of the question that is equation based) the formula or set of formulas already enters your head like a fond memory that you can recollect well.

For example, if the question starts out with a "projectile undergoing parabolic motion.." immediately you should be able to visualize and recall the formulas related to kinematics, v=vo+at, vf^2=vo2+2a(x-xo), delta y=voyt+1/2at^2, etc.

What might help is if you keep a list of equations you are struggling with and post them on your bathroom mirror or the wall above where you sleep so even when you fall asleep/wake up they will be staring you in the face.

Until you've gained this amount of fluidity by doing enough practice questions, keep going! In due time, the equations will become simply just one of the building blocks in finding the right answer among the four given. Good luck!

2 points:

*Flashcards
*Practice problems

That way, you work on both memorizing the equations (flashcards) and how to apply them (practice problems). Doing both of these together is more helpful than either one separately.

You have to just memorize them (I like writing them over and over again). However, you also need to know what each constant and symbol is. Most importantly, you need to be able to pull out a particular/relevant formula for the question at the drop of a hat on the test. That takes practice questions, and lots of them.

I also have a question about memorizing physics equations.

I have the Kaplan series, and at the end of each chapter is a list of "Equations to Remember." I started making flash cards of each equation as I began studying. Now that I have finished the book, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 flashcards.

Clearly, it would be difficult to memorize all of these equations. Is there a list anywhere of the equations we need to know for the MCAT? I could theoretically go through all my flashcards, but I imagine that is not the most efficient use of time.

Thanks,
Bill R.

I have the Kaplan series, and at the end of each chapter is a list of "Equations to Remember." I started making flash cards of each equation as I began studying. Now that I have finished the book, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 flashcards.

Clearly, it would be difficult to memorize all of these equations. Is there a list anywhere of the equations we need to know for the MCAT? I could theoretically go through all my flashcards, but I imagine that is not the most efficient use of time.

Thanks,
Bill R.

I am against using a list of equations made by a company.
Make your own list. That way you can remember which one is which more easily.

Thanks,
Bill R.

300 equations? This seems extremely excessive for college level algebra-based physics. I'm sure there's equations you've written out that are redundant.

The best thing you can do is memorize relationships between concepts. There are unintuitive things like standing waves and Joules (N*m what?) but that's where practice comes in. You start to think like, "Okay, power is work over time and work is energy so energy over time J/s. Work is a force exerted in a distance so newton meters..."

At least that's how my brain works. That and a combination of doing hundreds of the MCAT prep-type questions and the difficult conceptual questions on my prof's homework and exams.

Thank you for the advice.

I made the flashcards without realize that "Equations to Remember" didn't necessarily mean "Equations to Memorize." After doing half a dozen practice tests, I've come to realize that most of the more complex equations are provided within the passage.

Deadlifts - you are absolutely right. It seems that practice and understanding relationships is far more important than rote memorization.

-Bill R.