memory supplements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are your takes on this. Do you guys have any PROVEN suggestions. Personally I find gingko to do some of its job.

Members don't see this ad.

vicinihil said:
what are your takes on this. Do you guys have any PROVEN suggestions. Personally I find gingko to do some of its job.

It's all bunk. I also note that you are also not going to get much useful medical info from a "pre-med" forum...

I like to supplement my memory by writing things down, that way I don't have to remember as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Word, you guys. Most memory supps are pure crap. They increase bloodflow to the head and to parts of the brain, but so does jogging, or spinning around until you fall down.

There was this intriguing memory system taught by "toastmasters" affiliates back in the day. Stop reading now if you find this trite or boring.

This old school veterinarian I know (who is hailed as the best and most successful vet in Charleston, SC) told me that it got him through vet school. (He graduatede top of his class) It basically involves memorizing specific images (a llama, a banana, a porche... etc) that can be linked to the number 1-100, based on the shape of the spelled out #, ignoring the vowels. (so, for example, by ignoring vowels in "one", you get "n". n is shaped kinda like an igloo, so the image for one can be "igloo". You spend several weeks memorizing these mental images that represent the numbers 1-100, and then at any point after that you have that list down pat, you can associate other lists (grocery lists, cranial nerves, enzymes, amino acids, whatever) to the numbered images, by linking them via imagination. So let's say the first item on a long grocery list is celery. You picture an innuit man carrying a bundle of celery into an igloo, or making an igloo of celery. The more outlandish the mental image, the quicker it'll stick. Then you keep on going down the list. Apparently, this technique, once mastered, is incredibly functional. It also has the benefit of instant-memory-placement within the list (You don't have to remember/recite items 1-43 to recall what 44 is, someone can just say "what is #44?" and you can think of the image associated with 44, then the item's relation to that image, and boo-yah, you recall it.

i heard eating almonds while studying the info you're trying to memorize, as well as before you take a test helps.

all premeds are druggies comeon :). but i love the number thing its awesome. I wonder if there are any books out there that will help you memorize things beside the usual pneumonics and stuff. I mean pneumonics gets wordy a d after a while its no longer as useful. It's good for temporary memorization.

hm...that's actually pretty interesting. my brain's pretty much like swiss cheese and i've definitely been worried about how i'm gonna manage my first two years in med school. my friends who are docs keep telling me you just get really good at memorizing automatically. here's to hoping...

do a google search on memorization techniques or some books on memory tricks. there's a lot on amazon.n

I eat almond butter (as oppsed to peanut butter) and I swear I feel a difference 15 minutes L8r. Ditto on the poster about the almonds. Old folklore, btw, in India about almonds=brain power.

Coconut oil is really good for you. Take 2-3 teaspoons a day

* Reduces risk of atherosclerosis and related illnesses. * reduces risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions. * Helps prevent bacterial, viral, and fungal (including yeast) infections. * Supports immune system function. * Helps prevent osteoporosis. * Helps control diabetes. * Promotes weight loss. * Supports healthy metabolic function. * Provides an immediate source of energy. * Supplies fewer calories than other fats. * Supplies important nutrients necessary for good health. * Improves digestion and nutrient absorption. * Has a mild delicate flavor. * Is highly resistant to spoilage (long shelf life. * Is heat resistant (the healthiest oil for cooking. * Helps keep skin soft and smooth. * Helps prevent premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. * Helps protect against skin cancer and other blemishes. Also, the oil in coconuts has been found to aid the body in destroying dozens of harmful viruses including hepatitis C, herpes, and HIV.

How about ginkgo biloba?

The number thing is right on. I'm a sworn believer in visualization. When I took my first medical terminiology class almost 20 years ago, we did the whole course with visualizations...sometimes really creepy visualizations. For example, for the prefix "mast", there was a picture of a boat with an enormous breast for a sail. For "cerebra", there was picture of a zebra with a brain in place of its head.