Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I should be able to get both shirts. I will note the tie suggestion as well, I agree, blue or burgundy tie should go well with the black suit.

And I may be able to get a second suit, but I am only willing to get one if the color is significantly different from black haha.

As for shoes, that I am definitely willing to buy a new pair (I haven't gotten dress shoes in a long time). I currently wear these (not this exact one, but they look identical and are adult size).
http://www.payless.com/store/produc...91&lotId=079319&category=&catdisplayName=Boys
They are really comfortable, but I don't know if these are interview appropriate or professional enough. I usually get away with these for school related events or get togethers.

Yeah you definitely need to upgrade on those shoes. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of money to drop? If that's the case, definitely check ebay for Allen Edmond Park Avenues or Johnston & Murphy Melton (or Optima). You can get these shoes for around $50 in great used condition. The style of these shoes is called "balmoral" oxfords.

allenshoes_ia27112.jpg


Shoes_iAEC1039697.jpg
 
Oh god, yes get new shoes.

Thanks! I should be able to get both shirts. I will note the tie suggestion as well, I agree, blue or burgundy tie should go well with the black suit.

And I may be able to get a second suit, but I am only willing to get one if the color is significantly different from black haha.

As for shoes, that I am definitely willing to buy a new pair (I haven't gotten dress shoes in a long time). I currently wear these (not this exact one, but they look identical and are adult size).
http://www.payless.com/store/produc...91&lotId=079319&category=&catdisplayName=Boys
They are really comfortable, but I don't know if these are interview appropriate or professional enough. I usually get away with these for school related events or get togethers.
 
^^ Lol will do! 😀 I figured the shoes needed the most improvement.

Yeah you definitely need to upgrade on those shoes. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of money to drop? If that's the case, definitely check ebay for Allen Edmond Park Avenues or Johnston & Murphy Melton (or Optima). You can get these shoes for around $50 in great used condition. The style of these shoes is called "balmoral" oxfords.

allenshoes_ia27112.jpg


Shoes_iAEC1039697.jpg
Fantastic! Thanks for the advice. As you guys can tell it's been a long time....might be the first time that I am dressing professionally. 😳
If I don't need to buy a new suit, I am definitely up to invest in a good pair of shoes. I'll look into getting these. Since I don't have a good pair already, I'm willing to spend some extra money to get a good pair now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My attire:



Suit - Navy

images


Shirt - White

06_hbna50221860_100_21


Tie - Burgundy or Navy

Picture2-18.png
Tie%20Silk%20Pindot.jpg


Shoes - Burgundy

KfdLN.jpg












I've read differing opinions on wearing a pocket square. Is there anything unsettling about a white straight-fold PS?

Not wearing one makes me feel like my chest is missing something (the same feeling when I don't have a watch on)
 
I wore a TV fold white linen pocket square to all my interviews for med school and residency, didn't hurt. I had a couple positive comments on it. My philosophy is that the only reason you shouldn't be wearing a pocket square is if your suit lacks a breast pocket.

That looks like a nice interview ensemble.
 
I generally wore very bright socks with my suits (that matched my shirt/tie combo, but you can't go wrong with black really with any outfit. I think as long as you aren't wearing white socks you'll be fine.
 
I generally wore very bright socks with my suits (that matched my shirt/tie combo, but you can't go wrong with black really with any outfit. I think as long as you aren't wearing white socks you'll be fine.

The socks-matching-shirt/tie deal is a bit more "fashion-forward" (though I hate using that term), and usually is best executed by people who obviously know what they're doing.

On the subject of sock color, for one of my interviews I was tired from a busy interview schedule (ended up having to fly home after one interview, got home at 2am, then had to leave on a 7:30am flight the next day), and accidentally packed dark gray socks (which I wear with my charcoal suit) instead of my navy socks as I was bringing my navy suit/burgundy Meltons.

So I showed up to my interview in a navy suit, black socks, burgundy shoes. Not the most egregious (or even noticeable) error, but most of the interviews that day were me sitting in a rolling desk chair facing a panel of 3-5 other people with no desks to obstruct their view of my suit/socks/shoes combo.
 
What do you guys think of Brooke's Brothers suits? I trolled the second interview clothing thread and they were getting alot of love. I looked through their website and they have some nice (expensive stuff). Anybody have any experience with their slim fit suits? Thanks!
 
Their black fleece and Martin greenfield lines are nice, the 1818 or brooksease lines are garbage but no worse than what most people wear.

I generally dress pretty fashion-forward (I.e. Pocket square, coordinated tie clip, occasionally French cuffs w/ links, etc), but correctly, so the socks work well for me. I try to avoid really bold details in my accessories for the most part, except for socks and watches, though. My attitude, though, was that I'd stand out, regardless, so might as well make positive points where I can 🙂
 
Their black fleece and Martin greenfield lines are nice, the 1818 or brooksease lines are garbage but no worse than what most people wear.

I generally dress pretty fashion-forward (I.e. Pocket square, coordinated tie clip, occasionally French cuffs w/ links, etc), but correctly, so the socks work well for me. I try to avoid really bold details in my accessories for the most part, except for socks and watches, though. My attitude, though, was that I'd stand out, regardless, so might as well make positive points where I can 🙂

Gotcha. Can you recommend any other companies I could scope out?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
j.crew is OK. I believe they are half canvas. Their cuts do not fit the proportions of most men. I don't know how you can say BB 1818 is garbage and then recommend BR. BR suits are fully fused, whereas the 1818 is a somewhat half canvas. I'm also pretty sure that Hickey is no long in production.

I meant 318, not 1818. Actually I think canvassing is much less important than cut. For social occasions I find myself wearing Dries and Boateng suits over those by better constructed Italian designers.

Med students/residents aren't wearing suits every day in any case. Even a fused suit can survive an interview season or two and the semi-formal events during med school. Ideally, you'd have well-cut suits that are canvassed but not everyone can afford a closet full of brioni, attolini, and borrelli.
 
Understood- 318 is their outlet only line of clothing (I believe.) I just don't think I would ever recommend anything from BR, whether on discount or not.

I am also of the belief that a well cut and canvased (or at least half canvassed) suit can be had at an affordable price, and is a much better use of money than any fused suit.

I hate the cuts of most inexpensive canvassed stuff, like jack victor, corneliani, even canali. I would rather wear something like BR's monogram line or J+ for uniqlo.
 
For anyone with Johnston and Murphy Meltons. Do you guys know if they run true to size or large?
 
What is with all the pictures of guys wearing brown shoes with navy/charcoal suits? I don't think they match at all, but when I look around most sites' stock pictures have men wearing them together. Wouldn't black be a much better choice?
 
What is with all the pictures of guys wearing brown shoes with navy/charcoal suits? I don't think they match at all, but when I look around most sites' stock pictures have men wearing them together. Wouldn't black be a much better choice?

How do you figure they don't match? As far as black being a better choice, what is your definition of better?
 
How do you figure they don't match? As far as black being a better choice, what is your definition of better?

Well I guess fashion is subjective, but to me it looks like wearing red and pink together. Colors that are supposed to define an outfit and shouldn't be mixed together. I know that makes no sense.
 
Their black fleece and Martin greenfield lines are nice, the 1818 or brooksease lines are garbage but no worse than what most people wear.

I generally dress pretty fashion-forward (I.e. Pocket square, coordinated tie clip, occasionally French cuffs w/ links, etc), but correctly, so the socks work well for me. I try to avoid really bold details in my accessories for the most part, except for socks and watches, though. My attitude, though, was that I'd stand out, regardless, so might as well make positive points where I can 🙂

Based on what I've read on these boards, I was indeed suggesting that you fell into that category. I was also just pointing out that it's not something that the average joe should probably be trying to accomplish.
 
What is with all the pictures of guys wearing brown shoes with navy/charcoal suits? I don't think they match at all, but when I look around most sites' stock pictures have men wearing them together. Wouldn't black be a much better choice?

Brown shoes with grey suits is a funny topic, because to the uninitiated, it seems at first as if it is entirely wrong. However, at least these days (and this may change in the future, who knows), brown shoes with medium/light gray suits are an increasingly popular look. The general rule of thumb is the brown shoes should still be darker than the suit (which is why you won't find many sensible people wearing brown shoes with a charcoal (dark) suit.

That said, black shoes are more "formal" than brown in most cases, and black shoes with a gray suit are certainly not a fashion crime, just a little boring (although definitely erring on the safe side for a formal medical school/residency interview).
 
That looks like a nice conservative outfit. The shoes are corrected grain, I believe, and are less comfortable than you might think, but look good.

I actually really like these shirts.

http://m.bananarepublic.gap.com/product.html?dn=bp371696002&dv=0&shopid=2&pdn=bc44866

Got these in black from Nordstrom Rack for $35. Legit?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-ha...wordsearch&fashionColor=BLACK&resultback=3418

Going to wear with this suit: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hickey-...ferralID=84e4df8d-ace3-11e1-8e16-001b2166becc

No shirt yet. All of the ones I have are either striped or checked and I haven't found a solid light blue one that I like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That looks like a nice conservative outfit. The shoes are corrected grain, I believe, and are less comfortable than you might think, but look good.

I actually really like these shirts.

http://m.bananarepublic.gap.com/product.html?dn=bp371696002&dv=0&shopid=2&pdn=bc44866

Yea, I figured they won't be too comfortable for walking around all day in. I'll continue to look for a pair that is more comfortable and still fits the outfit well, but for $30 I figured I couldn't pass on them.

I do like that shirt too. Thanks!

Edit: Can you explain briefly what corrected grain means? And what grain would be more comfortable?
 
http://www.styleforum.net/t/103506/whats-wrong-with-corrected-grain

Corrected grain is plasticky and gets hard with time and cracks even after a few wears, it's much harder than real calfskin and doesn't get better with break-in.

That's why so many people are recommending AE which are full grain calfskin.

I love my tramezzas, they're all broken in and comfy now.

Yea, I figured they won't be too comfortable for walking around all day in. I'll continue to look for a pair that is more comfortable and still fits the outfit well, but for $30 I figured I couldn't pass on them.

I do like that shirt too. Thanks!

Edit: Can you explain briefly what corrected grain means? And what grain would be more comfortable?
 
The BR and somewhat more expensive (unless they're on sale) BB non-iron shirts are fantastic. In my Briggs/riley garment carry-on they stay immaculate and don't even need touch-up. I'll just hang them in the hotel bathroom during a shower and they're good to go. A good 1-2 suit carry-on is a lifesaver for interview season.
 
http://www.styleforum.net/t/103506/whats-wrong-with-corrected-grain

Corrected grain is plasticky and gets hard with time and cracks even after a few wears, it's much harder than real calfskin and doesn't get better with break-in.

That's why so many people are recommending AE which are full grain calfskin.

I love my tramezzas, they're all broken in and comfy now.

Ah I see. So cole haans are to shoes like rolexes are to watches.. The average person thinks they're awesome, but really they kind of suck.

The BR and somewhat more expensive (unless they're on sale) BB non-iron shirts are fantastic. In my Briggs/riley garment carry-on they stay immaculate and don't even need touch-up. I'll just hang them in the hotel bathroom during a shower and they're good to go. A good 1-2 suit carry-on is a lifesaver for interview season.
Suggestions for one of those carry-ons? Preferably not a $300 like the one you have 🙂
 
Two quick questions. First, how do you feel about wearing a watch to an interview? I have a Breitling Chronomat with a stainless steel band and blue face. Is that okay to wear to an interview or should it be left at home?
Second, is there any need to bring a portfolio with resumes and a legal pad for notes or anything? I've taken this to interviews for engineering jobs and internships but not sure if it would be needed in this case.
 
Ah I see. So cole haans are to shoes like rolexes are to watches.. The average person thinks they're awesome, but really they kind of suck.

Suggestions for one of those carry-ons? Preferably not a $300 like the one you have 🙂

http://m.ebags.com/product/travelpro/maxlite-2-bi-fold-garment-sleeve/226792?productid=10167813

The carry-ons with a garment section are pretty expensive, I'm not sure you'll find one much cheaper than that. Tumi T-tech has one for about $200.
 
Two quick questions. First, how do you feel about wearing a watch to an interview? I have a Breitling Chronomat with a stainless steel band and blue face. Is that okay to wear to an interview or should it be left at home?
Second, is there any need to bring a portfolio with resumes and a legal pad for notes or anything? I've taken this to interviews for engineering jobs and internships but not sure if it would be needed in this case.

Nice watch, but I personally wouldn't wear it to interviews if you have an alternative. If not, since you already have it, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world, although it'd prolly look bulky under a shirt sleeve. You don't need a portfolio.
 
Cole haan are more like tag heuers.

Ah I see. So cole haans are to shoes like rolexes are to watches.. The average person thinks they're awesome, but really they kind of suck.


Suggestions for one of those carry-ons? Preferably not a $300 like the one you have 🙂
 
I was thinking about getting the Essential Navy Pinstripe suit from Indochino. I have always had off the rack suits, but I have only had one that I was really satisfied with. I am tall and very thin, so when I find a suit jacket that is long enough, other parts of the jacket are comically huge, mainly the shoulder pads.

I have the black cap toed shoes pictured in a previous post. I am going to try to find some argyle socks that match my ties, but I will probably end up with solid over the calf socks.

I have a watch with a black leather band and a black face to match the shoes and belt.

I was going to keep the shirt simple: white, point collar, barrel cuffs.

For the tie I have a pink option and several simple blue options. One of my ties is a Burberry check tie in light blue. Is that too showy for the interview?
 
I was thinking about getting the Essential Navy Pinstripe suit from Indochino. I have always had off the rack suits, but I have only had one that I was really satisfied with. I am tall and very thin, so when I find a suit jacket that is long enough, other parts of the jacket are comically huge, mainly the shoulder pads.

I have the black cap toed shoes pictured in a previous post. I am going to try to find some argyle socks that match my ties, but I will probably end up with solid over the calf socks.

I have a watch with a black leather band and a black face to match the shoes and belt.

I was going to keep the shirt simple: white, point collar, barrel cuffs.

For the tie I have a pink option and several simple blue options. One of my ties is a Burberry check tie in light blue. Is that too showy for the interview?

This late in the game, I'd forget about Indochino for now. If I can recall, it takes about 1 month to receive your suit, right? If it fits perfect (which is a toss up), then you're ok. But if it fits like crap and you decide to send it back, then that will take another week or so to return and again another month to get your suit back. Even then, it still might not fit the way you want.

But of course, if you have no intention of interviewing until October or so, then go for it. But keep in mind the turn around times, especially if the suit fits badly (check the styleforum thread)
 
Thoughts on:

All black (Black suit (grey pinstripe)/shoes/pants/dress shirt)
Color-coordinated tie (eg. Crimson for Stanford)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^^ Sounds like a great way to get rejected.

I think the Burberry tie would be fine.

I suppose the traditional is traditional for a reason. Better to blend in than stick out sometimes. Though even Burberry ties come in faint shades.
 
I suppose the traditional is traditional for a reason. Better to blend in than stick out sometimes. Though even Burberry ties come in faint shades.

Were you suggesting wearing a black suit and black shirt? If so, just add a fedora and you'd portray the mobster look perfectly 🙂
 
Were you suggesting wearing a black suit and black shirt? If so, just add a fedora and you'd portray the mobster look perfectly 🙂

See, this guy knows what he's talking about.

WideCut-300x300.jpg

gangster_plus.jpg


The Burberry comment was for the other guy.

Mine was half-troll, Crimson ties, for example, are shockingly drastic.

Though the burberry reds are pretty vibrant

Burberry%20Tie%20Set%20BU005.jpg


Also, I feel like medical school interviews always just end up with Matrix/Men in Black entourage cookie cutter styles:
220px-Men_In_Black_3.jpg

800px-Matrix_Agents_%28Second_Generaton%29.jpg
 
Last edited: