You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Men's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The biggest thing I have with ties is the width. I don't recommend wearing anything narrower than 2.5" but I also refuse to wear anything wider than 3". Don't rock a 4+" monstrosity especially if you're skinny.
I'm confused on what color Bordeaux is compared to burgandy. hard to tell over the Internet.
Also, does anyone know of any shirt companies that are good for very wide backs. In the past I've had to size up a lot, but then my lower sbodmen becomes a sailboat
Also, does anyone know of any shirt companies that are good for very wide backs. In the past I've had to size up a lot, but then my lower sbodmen becomes a sailboat
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Boss suits are fine, they just might be on the expensive side.
Polo blue label would be fantastic if you could find it (not Lauren by Ralph Lauren). Z zegna or hickey (not hickey Freeman) would be good.
I thought you told me Hickey Freeman was a legit suit? 😕
I'm confused on what color Bordeaux is compared to burgandy. hard to tell over the Internet.
Also, does anyone know of any shirt companies that are good for very wide backs. In the past I've had to size up a lot, but then my lower sbodmen becomes a sailboat
Try to find any shirt company that has "tailored fit" shirts (not "slim fit"). These shirts taper through the midsection and waist, allowing you to buy a size big enough to fit your back without feeling billowy and weird in the abdomen. I've been a bodybuilder for the better part of a decade or so, so I share the "very wide back" issue. I bought a couple Jos A Bank traveler shirts (wrinkle-resistant shirts that travel very well for interviews) in the tailored fit and they did the job.
The other possibility is actually going to a tailor and getting your dress shirt tailored/altered.
How do people feel about wearing black-rimmed hipster glasses? It would be prescription, of course.
[/IMG]
When did Wayfarers become "hipster glasses"?
When did Wayfarers become "hipster glasses"?
Since like 5 years ago... Get with the times!
How do people feel about wearing black-rimmed hipster glasses? It would be prescription, of course.
![]()
I wear glasses similar to these daily. But I will be wearing contacts for my interview. I just don't want to come off as hipsterish or cartoony by having big wayfarer glasses.
Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
When did Wayfarers become "hipster glasses"?
uuhhh, do you live in a cave?
Guys, I'm not sure how to judge the quality of used Allen Edmonds. Are these Park Avenues in a condition worth $70? Will shoe polish fix the scuffs on the cap toe? And what can be done about the paint coming off the front of the soles? Are these worth it? Or would I be better off with the J&M Meltons?
I thought you told me Hickey Freeman was a legit suit? 😕
It's fine, just tends to be a bit boxier cut out of the box.
Try to find any shirt company that has "tailored fit" shirts (not "slim fit"). These shirts taper through the midsection and waist, allowing you to buy a size big enough to fit your back without feeling billowy and weird in the abdomen. I've been a bodybuilder for the better part of a decade or so, so I share the "very wide back" issue. I bought a couple Jos A Bank traveler shirts (wrinkle-resistant shirts that travel very well for interviews) in the tailored fit and they did the job.
The other possibility is actually going to a tailor and getting your dress shirt tailored/altered.
Some shirts that fit well (I have about a 13" drop) are Zara tailored fit and spurr. Also massimo bizzochi and Paul smith London.
I wear glasses similar to these daily. But I will be wearing contacts for my interview. I just don't want to come off as hipsterish or cartoony by having big wayfarer glasses.
Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
I wore wayfarers or Oliver People's x PS to all my interviews. They were fine.
How dark is too dark in regards to charcoal? This suit is listed as "Black Texture" but looks more charcoal than black. What do you guys think about the color?
And what do you guys think about these ties with a charcoal suit and black shoes? I purchased the burgundy one that a I posted a few pages back. And I already have a navy tie with white pindots. I figured a gold/yellow tie might be ok? And a blue striped tie might go better than the navy pindot I already own.
And what do you guys think about these ties with a charcoal suit and black shoes? I purchased the burgundy one that a I posted a few pages back. And I already have a navy tie with white pindots. I figured a gold/yellow tie might be ok? And a blue striped tie might go better than the navy pindot I already own.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the blue tie looks pretty sharp
I'm not a fan of blue ties in general. They're not nearly as bad as red ties, but try to get a blue with a gold or some other color in it.
The last tie you posted looks decent, but the stripes are too narrow.
The last tie you posted looks decent, but the stripes are too narrow.
I rather like this tie from BR.
http://m.bananarepublic.gap.com/product.html?dn=bp905263002&dv=0&shopid=2&pdn=bc71344
http://m.bananarepublic.gap.com/product.html?dn=bp905263002&dv=0&shopid=2&pdn=bc71344
jHustle - Those Allen Edmonds look decent. For $70, I'd say it's worth a shot. I found a pair of AE Park Avenues for $45 in great condition. 🙂
Would this tie be good on a charcoal suit? Looks simple and good to me...
http://www.sugarchicago.com/database/products/13507.png
Planning on buying a navy grenadine/grenafaux tie...
Would this tie be good on a charcoal suit? Looks simple and good to me...
http://www.sugarchicago.com/database/products/13507.png
Planning on buying a navy grenadine/grenafaux tie...
^
Those shoes were from ebay. And you know what? I saw a scuff mark on them in the photo, emailed the seller about, and he confirmed it was a 3" scuff. He actually lowered the price to $63 but then BLURRED out the scuff mark and reuploaded the picture. If I hadn't seen the scuff mark originally, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Needless to say, with those kind of business practices, I decided not to purchase from him lol
But as for your tie, do you not like adding a little color with your suit? I would think charcoal + solid navy would be too dark, or is that just me? I'd definitely wear that tie though if I had a lighter grey suit.
Those shoes were from ebay. And you know what? I saw a scuff mark on them in the photo, emailed the seller about, and he confirmed it was a 3" scuff. He actually lowered the price to $63 but then BLURRED out the scuff mark and reuploaded the picture. If I hadn't seen the scuff mark originally, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Needless to say, with those kind of business practices, I decided not to purchase from him lol
But as for your tie, do you not like adding a little color with your suit? I would think charcoal + solid navy would be too dark, or is that just me? I'd definitely wear that tie though if I had a lighter grey suit.
~~!! DEAL ALERT !!~~
If anyone is in the market for some balmoral cap-toes or wingtips, 6pm.com has some Florsheims available for only $66
Cap Toes - $66
http://www.6pm.com/florsheim-lyon-black
Wing Tips - $66
http://www.6pm.com/florsheim-landry-black
Of course they're no Allen Edmonds or Johnston & Murphy, but at $66, I'd say that's a steal for those on a major budget. Get em while they're hot!!
If anyone is in the market for some balmoral cap-toes or wingtips, 6pm.com has some Florsheims available for only $66
Cap Toes - $66
http://www.6pm.com/florsheim-lyon-black
Wing Tips - $66
http://www.6pm.com/florsheim-landry-black
Of course they're no Allen Edmonds or Johnston & Murphy, but at $66, I'd say that's a steal for those on a major budget. Get em while they're hot!!
Bump for those on a budget. I don't know how long the sale will last (they're usually $81)
That's a pretty sweet deal, and probably a lot better at that price than most people will show up in on interview day, even if they paid more than double for their shoes (unless they take the advice on this thread).
^
Those shoes were from ebay. And you know what? I saw a scuff mark on them in the photo, emailed the seller about, and he confirmed it was a 3" scuff. He actually lowered the price to $63 but then BLURRED out the scuff mark and reuploaded the picture. If I hadn't seen the scuff mark originally, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Needless to say, with those kind of business practices, I decided not to purchase from him lol
But as for your tie, do you not like adding a little color with your suit? I would think charcoal + solid navy would be too dark, or is that just me? I'd definitely wear that tie though if I had a lighter grey suit.
Lol, well that sucks! If you're patient enough, you'll find some good AE's from eBay. That's how I got mine haha. 🙂
Eh, I like to play things conservative, though I might go with a striped blue tie. Still a long time before any interviews happen lol.
And those Florsheim's are alright, but they're like $70 at JCPenneys/Macy's or wherever. Still a good deal for those on a tight budget. Prefer the Johnston & Murphys/Allen Edmonds. xD
.
Last edited:
What do you guys think of brown perf captoes for interviews? I think I'd rather have regular caps, but for what I'd end up paying out of pocket for these, they're pretty attractive.
They'd go with my navy herringbone suit. I'd prefer them to be more merlot, but these are an option.
They'd go with my navy herringbone suit. I'd prefer them to be more merlot, but these are an option.
What do you guys think of brown perf captoes for interviews? I think I'd rather have regular caps, but for what I'd end up paying out of pocket for these, they're pretty attractive.
They'd go with my navy herringbone suit. I'd prefer them to be more merlot, but these are an option.
I'm a big fan of the perf captoes (the model from BB is actually Allen Edmonds' Fifth Avenue rebranded with one or two minor tweaks to the outsole and heel counter). In all honesty, a pair of those in dark brown will still look very slick yet professional with a navy suit. FWIW, on residency interviews I did see several guys wearing navy suits with quality dark brown shoes and they did not look one bit less professional than the guys in their black suits and square-toed slip-ons. In fact, they looked (to me, at least) a lot more professional, since they were wearing a clearly well-thought out and well put-together ensemble.
Anyway, I'd say go for them, especially if you're getting some kind of sale (I think BB actually had those shoes 30% off two days ago, no?). The perf captoe, in my opinion, loses nothing in "professionalism" compared to a plain captoe, and adds a nice bit of style.
Blatant Goyard rip-off. Also not worth $60.
FWIW J&M and AE are not on the same level. AE are much better.
Navy grenadine with charcoal is an awesome choice![/QUOTE]
I think the BR tie is an ideal width; also, no one pays retail for BR.
I'm a big fan of the perf captoes (the model from BB is actually Allen Edmonds' Fifth Avenue rebranded with one or two minor tweaks to the outsole and heel counter). In all honesty, a pair of those in dark brown will still look very slick yet professional with a navy suit. FWIW, on residency interviews I did see several guys wearing navy suits with quality dark brown shoes and they did not look one bit less professional than the guys in their black suits and square-toed slip-ons. In fact, they looked (to me, at least) a lot more professional, since they were wearing a clearly well-thought out and well put-together ensemble.
Anyway, I'd say go for them, especially if you're getting some kind of sale (I think BB actually had those shoes 30% off two days ago, no?). The perf captoe, in my opinion, loses nothing in "professionalism" compared to a plain captoe, and adds a nice bit of style.
Perf captoes are very nice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I must have missed that sale. I got the email about "accessories" being 30% off and didn't realize that included footwear. I have the 15% corporate discount and the majority of the remaining balance in gift cards, so these would cost me next to nothing out of pocket. I'd rather go to my local AE store and get exactly what I want and get fitted properly for the right last, size, width, etc but this is a deal that's hard to pass up.I'm a big fan of the perf captoes (the model from BB is actually Allen Edmonds' Fifth Avenue rebranded with one or two minor tweaks to the outsole and heel counter). In all honesty, a pair of those in dark brown will still look very slick yet professional with a navy suit. FWIW, on residency interviews I did see several guys wearing navy suits with quality dark brown shoes and they did not look one bit less professional than the guys in their black suits and square-toed slip-ons. In fact, they looked (to me, at least) a lot more professional, since they were wearing a clearly well-thought out and well put-together ensemble.
Anyway, I'd say go for them, especially if you're getting some kind of sale (I think BB actually had those shoes 30% off two days ago, no?). The perf captoe, in my opinion, loses nothing in "professionalism" compared to a plain captoe, and adds a nice bit of style.
just realized BB doesn't have my size. fml
What do you guys think about used Allen Edmons Byrons?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Allen-...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1c28037d2a#ht_500wt_1183
Are these worth $46?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Allen-...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1c28037d2a#ht_500wt_1183
Are these worth $46?
Last edited:
Look worth it to me, though I wish you could see the insole. I paid about that much for a pair of used AEs off Ebay. Great condition, still look great 3 years later. Probably need to be recrafted soon, but that means a ~$150 investment into shoes that look like-new after recrafting.
Did you win that auction?
Did you win that auction?
well it's not so much the insoles (which can be replaced) as the leather just inside the heel and side of the shoe. Not sure exactly what that part of the shoe is called. it's one of the few parts that can't be repaired.
overall I think you got a good deal. get a good pair of shoe trees. It looks like those haven't been stored with shoe trees in them and would benefit from them. Allen Edmonds usually has free shipping on all of their shoe care products, including trees.
overall I think you got a good deal. get a good pair of shoe trees. It looks like those haven't been stored with shoe trees in them and would benefit from them. Allen Edmonds usually has free shipping on all of their shoe care products, including trees.
Any chance at decent shoes (black) under $50?
Ebay
http://shop.brunomagli.com/bruno-magli-raging/318679
How about these for shoes? I know they're loafers but I think they look really nice and professional (in black)
How about these for shoes? I know they're loafers but I think they look really nice and professional (in black)
http://shop.brunomagli.com/bruno-magli-raging/318679
How about these for shoes? I know they're loafers but I think they look really nice and professional (in black)
No.
Why would you pay $400 for inappropriate shoes?
No.
Why would you pay $400 for inappropriate shoes?
I already have them and don't want to drop more $ on another pair of shoes if these would fit the bill.
I already have them and don't want to drop more $ on another pair of shoes if these would fit the bill.
Good pick on the Brunos. I have a pair as well and I am thinking about wearing them. And I don't think they are inappropriate at all, the have a tight machine stitch for a business look. Plus they are one of the most comfortable shoes I have worn.
I already have them and don't want to drop more $ on another pair of shoes if these would fit the bill.
I wouldn't wear loafers with a suit under any circumstances for an interview. They'd be good for patient interactions or the wards during med school, though.
I wouldn't wear loafers with a suit under any circumstances for an interview. They'd be good for patient interactions or the wards during med school, though.
This x 1000.
They are not at all what you should wear to an interview. Period.
Unrelated: I was at Nordstrom Rack last month and some kid probably 21-22 years old was with his mom trying on a bunch of shoes, including a pair of "Bruno Muh-GAH-lee" shoes. He probably said that 5-10 times. I guess that's what happens when kids who were too young to remember the OJ Simpson trial start to grow up.
Would this be too striking with a black suit?
Ocean blue dress shirt
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...e-Dress-Shirt/5808947/product.html?cid=123620
Not this exact shirt, but it gives an idea of the color. Also any ideas of what ties would go well with a shirt like this? I was thinking maybe dark blue.
Ocean blue dress shirt
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...e-Dress-Shirt/5808947/product.html?cid=123620
Not this exact shirt, but it gives an idea of the color. Also any ideas of what ties would go well with a shirt like this? I was thinking maybe dark blue.
Would this be too striking with a black suit?
Ocean blue dress shirt
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...e-Dress-Shirt/5808947/product.html?cid=123620
Not this exact shirt, but it gives an idea of the color. Also any ideas of what ties would go well with a shirt like this? I was thinking maybe dark blue.
You'd look like you're going to prom with that color shirt. What's wrong with sticking to a white shirt for a crisp and classic look?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would this be too striking with a black suit?
Ocean blue dress shirt
http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-S...e-Dress-Shirt/5808947/product.html?cid=123620
Not this exact shirt, but it gives an idea of the color. Also any ideas of what ties would go well with a shirt like this? I was thinking maybe dark blue.
For an interview, if you're wearing a black suit, don't wear anything but a white shirt. Wearing any shirt with a solid color is far too contrasting, even if you opt for a darker colored shirt. Also wearing black suits with a colored shirt starts to look less like business attire and more like formal attire for going out. However, you COULD pull off that color shirt with a light grey suit, with a black tie and black oxfords.
EDIT: Well actually, with regards to what color shirt with a black suit, you could probably pull off the light blue oxford regularly worn by business professionals.
I always wore a solid light blue or white shirt for interviews. I've seen people wear red, dark blue, whatever colored shirts though. The worst outfit I saw was a red shirt with matching red tie w/o a jacket.
Haha, it does sort of bring images of a night out clubbing.You'd look like you're going to prom with that color shirt. What's wrong with sticking to a white shirt for a crisp and classic look?
I was going to wear a white shirt, but I read a couple posts on here saying that white shirt and black suit is too bland, or it gives the funeral look. I could pull off white shirt/black suit with a nice colored tie maybe?
Thanks! Briefly considered a new suit. I just own a black one, and I didn't want to buy another suit that looked similar, but light grey may not be bad to have. Would that ocean blue work with a light grey suit? Or stick to lighter shades of blue?For an interview, if you're wearing a black suit, don't wear anything but a white shirt. Wearing any shirt with a solid color is far too contrasting, even if you opt for a darker colored shirt. Also wearing black suits with a colored shirt starts to look less like business attire and more like formal attire for going out. However, you COULD pull off that color shirt with a light grey suit, with a black tie and black oxfords.
EDIT: Well actually, with regards to what color shirt with a black suit, you could probably pull off the light blue oxford regularly worn by business professionals.
Light blue oxford sounds great actually. Then I can keep the black suit and not buy a grey one.
I'm just a little unsure about the white shirt/black suit combo. I always thought that was okay for interviews, but read that it's too formal.
Also, I can barely tell the difference between charcoal grey (which is okay for interviews) and black (which is too formal). So either light grey suit, or solid black suit are probably what I'll stick with.
Would the light blue oxford, dark blue or black tie, and black suit be good? I think I like that the most. And all I need to do is buy a shirt then, instead of a whole new suit.
Last edited:
Haha, it does sort of bring images of a night out clubbing.
I was going to wear a white shirt, but I read a couple posts on here saying that white shirt and black suit is too bland, or it gives the funeral look. I could pull off white shirt/black suit with a nice colored tie maybe?
Thanks! Briefly considered a new suit. I just own a black one, and I didn't want to buy another suit that looked similar, but light grey may not be bad to have. Would that ocean blue work with a light grey suit? Or stick to lighter shades of blue?
Light blue oxford sounds great actually. Then I can keep the black suit and not buy a grey one.
I'm just a little unsure about the white shirt/black suit combo. I always thought that was okay for interviews, but read that it's too formal.
Also, I can barely tell the difference between charcoal grey (which is okay for interviews) and black (which is too formal). So either light grey suit, or solid black suit are probably what I'll stick with.
Would the light blue oxford, dark blue or black tie, and black suit be good? I think I like that the most. And all I need to do is buy a shirt then, instead of a whole new suit.
At the very least, buy both a white shirt and a light blue shirt. As for tie, find a primarily navy tie and a burgundy one. Try to get it with pin dots or stripes (subtle). If you already have a black suit and you are low on funds, then just keep it. But more importantly, what kind of shoes are you going to wear?
Thanks! I should be able to get both shirts. I will note the tie suggestion as well, I agree, blue or burgundy tie should go well with the black suit.At the very least, buy both a white shirt and a light blue shirt. As for tie, find a primarily navy tie and a burgundy one. Try to get it with pin dots or stripes (subtle). If you already have a black suit and you are low on funds, then just keep it. But more importantly, what kind of shoes are you going to wear?
And I may be able to get a second suit, but I am only willing to get one if the color is significantly different from black haha.
As for shoes, that I am definitely willing to buy a new pair (I haven't gotten dress shoes in a long time). I currently wear these (not this exact one, but they look identical and are adult size).
http://www.payless.com/store/produc...91&lotId=079319&category=&catdisplayName=Boys
They are really comfortable, but I don't know if these are interview appropriate or professional enough. I usually get away with these for school related events or get togethers.