Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Meltons are decently made shoes and a nice conservative style.

For guys checking this thread out, allow me to make a suggestion. Assuming you've been able to figure out which color shoes to wear with your suit (black with charcoal suit, black or burgundy/cordovan with navy), consider this shoe. Regardless of what people will say about corrected grain vs. calfskin leather and whatnot, these are good "entry level" dress shoes (I use that phrase lightly because I realize students are often on a budget; however, you should really invest in one pair of quality and timeless dress shoes that will last you many, many years). If you're not ready to make the jump to Allen Edmonds/Alden/etc (a pair of which will probably last you 20-30 years easy), here you go:

Johnston & Murphy Melton (retail $130-175)

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Mens-Melton-Oxford/dp/B000UUGZN6

31P6MaCvBcL.jpg


These are a good starting point if you're not looking to break the bank on a pair of higher end shoes. What's more, you can find very gently-used pairs of these on ebay for ~$20-50 much of the time. A used pair of Meltons is better than most other choices people on here are suggesting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or depending on the cut, out on the town.

Word.

Speaking of which, I've been wearing these AE's with my navy suit for less formal (yet suit-appropriate) occasions:

AE-Fairfax.jpg


Definitely not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure (and no one should ever wear these for an interview), but I get compliments everywhere I go.
 
I think this thread is evolving into "Men's Interview Clothing You Can't Afford." 😉
 
now ask him what his suit and watches cost.

...how much are your watch and suit?


Also (since I am curious) what countries make the items quality items?

For example;

Shoes: England bulgaria china Italian in that order

And what about for suits (or cloth), ties, and watches?
 
...how much are your watch and suit?

You know what they say... If you have to ask...

Sexy tho, no?

iwc-big-pilot_s-watch-02.jpg




Also (since I am curious) what countries make the items quality items?

For example;

Shoes: England bulgaria china Italian in that order

And what about for suits (or cloth), ties, and watches?

You can't generalize like that... There's manufacturers of diff quality in diff countries; I'd say Bulgaria and China are probably not of amazing quality.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So is it also wrong to wear a watch with a metal strap instead of leather?

With a suit, yes. Sports watches (metal band) are casual and supposed to be worn with sportswear for men. You should match the leather color to your other leather.
 
let's hope that comes to fruition.

that Portuguese is my favorite watch right now.

Yeah it's probably the watch I wear most often. It's really versatile and can be worn with any outfit except a tux. I have a few watches in rotation and try not to wear anything overly flashy on the wards; I usually don't wear the pilot, sometimes I wear a white on white Daytona, though.
 
Nice suit, safe choice if not particularly fashionable. Make sure it's tailored to fit though, it's a classic American brand so can be boxy. Good call on not cuffing, it looks staid.

As far as the shirts go, I wouldn't, although it wouldn't be completely wrong. Good rule of thumb is not having more than 2 patterns out of your suit, shirt, and tie, but I think a striped tie with checked shirt has the potential to be busy.

Fine suit. I think striped ties with hatch-pattern shirts have too many lines going on. A simple pattern tie (like the one somebody posted above) I think goes better.

EDIT: Woops, didn't see drizzt posted basically the same thing. Congrats on owning your first suit!

Thanks for the info.

The lace-up shoes you are talking about, should they be tied with the bow showing or tucked in like the examples above?

Also, I'm assuming something like this would be too casual to wear to an interview? http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-ha...n=keywordsearch&fashionColor=&resultback=2995
 
Yeah it's probably the watch I wear most often. It's really versatile and can be worn with any outfit except a tux. I have a few watches in rotation and try not to wear anything overly flashy on the wards; I usually don't wear the pilot, sometimes I wear a white on white Daytona, though.

I have a Patek as my beater and I wear my Lobbs into surgery fack yall
 
I have a Patek as my beater and I wear my Lobbs into surgery fack yall

I think JL is a bit overrated although some of their shoes are decent. I have a white gold calatrava but barely wear it, it just looks too dainty on my wrist (case is small)
 
I think JL is a bit overrated although some of their shoes are decent. I have a white gold calatrava but barely wear it, it just looks too dainty on my wrist (case is small)

I agree, I'm partial to EG and G&G.

Now if you want to see a serious watch...

http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Br...ications-Double-Tourbillon/5347pt~11~9zu.html

Maybe after a few patents 🙂

http://www.prestigetime.com/item/A.-Lange---Sohne/Lange-1-Moonphase/109.025.html

Maybe after loans are paid off, house, car. One day though...
 
I agree, I'm partial to EG and G&G.

g&g seem cool but since I have my lasts at Vass I probably wouldn't get any other custom shoes. EG are nice, I have one pair of EGs and several C&J. They're all antiqued chestnut wingtips, captoes, and plaintoe oxfords for more casual wear.


Langes are nice, I have a couple of them (inherited) which I avoid wearing on the wards, haha. I've worn them to interviews before though. I have black and white datograph perpetuals and a black Lange 1 (non-moonphase). I'm less partial to the moonphase and like the power reserve 1.
 
Shoes in the $100 range?

Do you guys have any recommendations for black shoes in the $100 range? I wear a size 14D, so used Allen Edmonds or anything else for that matter are pretty hard to come by.

I really like the look of balmorals over bluchers. What do you guys think about wingtips vs cap toes for an interview shoe? And thoughts on these Florsheims (They are both $80)

And Florsheims in general?

Thanks

287731-p_enl.jpg
287729-p_enl.jpg
 
Balmorals > bluchers IMO (increased level of formality) and captoes > wingtips for interviews. Florsheim these days are made of corrected grain garbage but they'll last an interview season and look fine. I have a few pairs of vintage imperial florsheims which are a nice calf and Goodyear welted. You may be able to find them on eBay if you want a quality shoe, will just take a lil elbow grease to get a good shine.

Shoes in the $100 range?

Do you guys have any recommendations for black shoes in the $100 range? I wear a size 14D, so used Allen Edmonds or anything else for that matter are pretty hard to come by.

I really like the look of balmorals over bluchers. What do you guys think about wingtips vs cap toes for an interview shoe? And thoughts on these Florsheims (They are both $80)

And Florsheims in general?

Thanks

287731-p_enl.jpg
287729-p_enl.jpg
 
Shoes in the $100 range?

Do you guys have any recommendations for black shoes in the $100 range? I wear a size 14D, so used Allen Edmonds or anything else for that matter are pretty hard to come by.

I really like the look of balmorals over bluchers. What do you guys think about wingtips vs cap toes for an interview shoe? And thoughts on these Florsheims (They are both $80)

And Florsheims in general?

Thanks

287731-p_enl.jpg
287729-p_enl.jpg


Agree with exactly what drizzt said about balmorals > bluchers and cap toes > wing tips as far as formality/appropriateness goes here (cap-toe bals are the quintessential interview shoe).

If you want to get down to quality and such, as drizzt said the Florsheim shoes are of lesser quality than they used to be (back in the day they were a little more on par with what Allen Edmonds/Alden produce). However, at the $100 price point you're really looking for a shoe that will do the job for a couple years until you can feel comfortable shelling out more for a pair of something that will be much more of a long-term investment (AE/Alden/C&J/whatever). Not sure about the quality of stitching on Florsheims, as I've never owned a pair. Corrected grain leather has a more "cheap" and shiny appearance compared to calfskin, but to be honest for this type of interview (and whatever other formal settings you'd wear these shoes to in the future), it can be nice to have a pair of CG shoes that can easily take a decent shine with a bit of kiwi wax polish.

Allow me to reiterate my suggestion above about the Johnston and Murphy Melton:
http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Mens-Melton-Oxford/dp/B000UUGZN6

Right now the 14D is $135 (I realize this is a bit more than what you said you wanted to spend). But better yet, seriously look on ebay for a pair (sometimes they're listed just as "Johnston and Murphy Optima" because the insole uses "Optima" cushioning and it's printed on the insole). They tend to go for ~$20-40 lightly used on ebay, and they've got pretty darn good construction for their price point (I just checked ebay and I don't see any currently for size 14 . . . if you need the shoes in a hurry I'd suggest scrapping the ebay idea, otherwise just stay vigilant). I mostly recommend this because then you're only out less than half of what you'd pay for the new Florsheims, and will feel much better about "upgrading" to a more expensive pair sooner. As I posted earlier, I wore burgundy J&M Meltons with my navy suit and people would actually comment on how much they liked them quite a bit (mostly other interviewees/classmates, but one dermpath fellow complimented me too). Which surprised me, since I also own a pair of AE Park Avenues that I wore with my charcoal suit, and no one ever batted an eye. I think part of this was that I had my Meltons buffed/shined a good bit more just based on the nature of the leather type.

Anyway, long story short, if you go ahead and buy those Florsheim shoes on the left (cap toe balmorals), you will already be well ahead of 99% of the other interviewees at med school interviews (who will almost all be wearing variations of these , these, or these hideous creatures. If they're $80 and have 14D, I'd say go for it.
 
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely going with cap toe balmorals now. As for the Florsheims, I was planning to get them up until you mentioned the burgundy Meltons.

I'm looking to purchase a navy suit, though could still go for charcoal but prefer navy. I was debating for the longest time on whether to wear black or dark brown/burgundy shoes with a navy suit. And now when I finally decided on black, you make mention of wearing the burgundy Meltons with a navy suit, gahhhh!!

Now my dilemma is would I be better off (assuming I buy a navy suit), to get $80 Florsheim Cap toes as pictured or $135 Meltons in burgundy? I searched a lot and many had the notion that black shoes are better with a navy suit to an interview. However, I'm a tall dark-skinned guy with a good style here at school (chinos, fitted jeans, desert boots, loafers, button downs, cardigans, etc), but have yet to wear a suit. So I'm not sure if I should take my style with me in transitioning into interview attire by wearing burgundy shoes with the navy suit, or play it safe and stick with the black shoes?

What do you guys think? Or should I just try to find a charcoal suit and call it a day? haha

PS: Do you have any pics of you in the navy suit + burgundy meltons?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think you're going out on a limb by wearing burgundy shoes with a navy suit. I'd get the J&M; they're much better than the florsheims.
 
Not sure if it's considered jewelry, but how do people feel about wearing a pin (fraternity pin) to an interview? The pin is always placed above the heart, on the shirt, not on the actual suit jacket.

It's a relatively small pin with gold outlining, black background, a CZ 'diamond' in the middle with my fraternity's letters and symbols on it. Nothing too flashy (would post it, but I don't want to identity which organization I am in).

I personally love wearing it because I do love my fraternity, but it's also usually a conversation starter once people notice it.

Any comments?
 
As a (soon-to-be) chief resident who will interview 4th year med students, I would say to keep it mainstream and don't let the outfit draw too much attention from YOU. The small details don't matter! Just don't stick out like a sore thumb. We care more about the person behind the outfit. 🙂
 
I think burgundy, dark brown, or light brown are the best color shoes with a navy suit.

In general I hate black shoes, though, so I may be biased.

I agree if you're talking about in general. But for interviews, I'd absolutely avoid light brown, and even dark brown may be pushing it.


Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely going with cap toe balmorals now. As for the Florsheims, I was planning to get them up until you mentioned the burgundy Meltons.

I'm looking to purchase a navy suit, though could still go for charcoal but prefer navy. I was debating for the longest time on whether to wear black or dark brown/burgundy shoes with a navy suit. And now when I finally decided on black, you make mention of wearing the burgundy Meltons with a navy suit, gahhhh!!

Now my dilemma is would I be better off (assuming I buy a navy suit), to get $80 Florsheim Cap toes as pictured or $135 Meltons in burgundy? I searched a lot and many had the notion that black shoes are better with a navy suit to an interview. However, I'm a tall dark-skinned guy with a good style here at school (chinos, fitted jeans, desert boots, loafers, button downs, cardigans, etc), but have yet to wear a suit. So I'm not sure if I should take my style with me in transitioning into interview attire by wearing burgundy shoes with the navy suit, or play it safe and stick with the black shoes?

What do you guys think? Or should I just try to find a charcoal suit and call it a day? haha

PS: Do you have any pics of you in the navy suit + burgundy meltons?

As drizzt said, burgundy Meltons with a navy suit isn't really going out on a limb. I have a personal aversion to wearing black shoes with navy suits/pants, although you'll find much disagreement on this issue (and I have no problem with someone else who decides to wear black shoes in this case, it's just not for me). Black shoes in general are the peak of formality, and the fact that a good proportion of people find black shoes with navy perfectly acceptable, that would be a fine choice if you're trying to maximize the "formal" look (which is not a bad idea in general when interviewing).

It's a bit of a dilemma here because I would usually advocate buying a navy suit as your first suit purchase; however, for medical school interviews, you may "stand out" slightly more than if you had worn a charcoal suit, because I guarantee 90%+ of the guys are going to be wearing black suits (which I certainly do not recommend). The charcoal suit is a versatile suit you'll get plenty of mileage out of in the future, and won't stray too far from the general color palette of interviewees.

Bottom line: if you get a charcoal suit, get black cap-toe bals (either Florsheim or Meltons . . . I recommend the Meltons over Florsheim, but it's not my money of course). A black pair of cap toes should be a staple of all men's shoe collections for formal use. I can't vouch for how much longer, if any, the Meltons will stay in good shape compared to the Florsheims, but I will say that the style of shoe is something you're gonna wanna keep around for a long, long time.

If you get the navy suit, it's six in one hand and half a dozen in the other. I'd probably say go with black shoes (just to clarify, have you ruled out the possibility of buying black Meltons?) If money is a concern and you're set on choosing the Florsheims as your potential black pair, might as well go with them as they'll probably be a bit more versatile in the long run than burgundy shoes, and will cost less than the burgundy ones. It can be tempting to try to add to the "style" of your look, but as one of the residents posted below, what it really comes down to is not sticking out like a sore thumb, and none of your choices are going to do that. I see someone in a navy suit and smart (read: cap-toe balmoral) black shoes and just think "there's a guy who knows what he's doing and happens to subscribe to the black shoe/navy suit philosophy." It's when someone's wearing a pair of black (or any other color) shoes that are clearly wrong for the occasion that might raise some eyebrows.

I don't have any pictures handy currently, but I'll see if I can get one of the navy suit + burgundy Meltons.

After typing all this out, I honestly think my best recommendation would be to buy a pair of black Meltons. They're likely gonna be a better shoe than the Florsheims, and should last you at least a decade. They'll "go" with both charcoal and navy suits, both of which you should probably own at some point in the next few years. Then you can start expanding the shoe choices to fit your various suits.
 
Not sure if it's considered jewelry, but how do people feel about wearing a pin (fraternity pin) to an interview? The pin is always placed above the heart, on the shirt, not on the actual suit jacket.

It's a relatively small pin with gold outlining, black background, a CZ 'diamond' in the middle with my fraternity's letters and symbols on it. Nothing too flashy (would post it, but I don't want to identity which organization I am in).

I personally love wearing it because I do love my fraternity, but it's also usually a conversation starter once people notice it.

Any comments?

This is not an indictment at all against fraternities, but I would definitely recommend against it. It is not acceptable to wear to a formal interview.
 
Guys, I read somewhere that loafers are supposedly more formal than laced shoes? Can someone verify/refute this?

I got this yesterday:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/shop/p...0430_12751_700023384_-1_700000430_____default

Buy 1 get 1 free ftw(split with friend). Look okay?

False. It's actually the reverse. No interviewee should ever walk into an interview wearing loafers.

The suit looks fine. I'm personally not a pinstripes guy but those aren't huge pinstripes or anything. It'll be a good look.
 
So this thread has been a huge help! Never would have thought that a black suit would be a no-no for interviews. I just got this with the BOGO at Men's Wearhouse

Men's Wearhouse Charcoal Suit

Also got black Melton's to go with it as GuyWhoDoesStuff recommended. Looking for some cheap Allen Edmonds Park Avenues now lol. Thanks a lot for the great information, guys!
 
So this thread has been a huge help! Never would have thought that a black suit would be a no-no for interviews. I just got this with the BOGO at Men's Wearhouse

Men's Wearhouse Charcoal Suit

Also got black Melton's to go with it as GuyWhoDoesStuff recommended. Looking for some cheap Allen Edmonds Park Avenues now lol. Thanks a lot for the great information, guys!

👍 Well done. You're sure to be one of the better/best dressed among interviewees. Now just make sure the suit fits well.
 
Any opinions on Cole Hans ? I hear they are super comfortable.

Believe it or not but I've never worn a suit in my life, so gonna get my first one this summer. I think I'm gonna go with charcoal suit, light coloured solid shirt, and a simple thick striped tie. And get some black, cap toe shoes as you guys suggested.

My sister is buying me this combo as a grad/birthday gift so any suggestions on where a good place to buy is? I want something good quality but not too overpriced. I was thinking Macy's or Nordstrom rack. Any advice on what brands are good and which to avoid? like I've heard hugo boss is not a good buy...

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk
 
Boss suits are fine, they just might be on the expensive side.

Polo blue label would be fantastic if you could find it (not Lauren by Ralph Lauren). Z zegna or hickey (not hickey Freeman) would be good.

Any opinions on Cole Hans ? I hear they are super comfortable.

Believe it or not but I've never worn a suit in my life, so gonna get my first one this summer. I think I'm gonna go with charcoal suit, light coloured solid shirt, and a simple thick striped tie. And get some black, cap toe shoes as you guys suggested.

My sister is buying me this combo as a grad/birthday gift so any suggestions on where a good place to buy is? I want something good quality but not too overpriced. I was thinking Macy's or Nordstrom rack. Any advice on what brands are good and which to avoid? like I've heard hugo boss is not a good buy...

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk
 
Such great advice again guys thanks. I think I'm going to go with the black meltons. I'll probably end up getting a charcoal suit as well (maybe a navy if one strikes my eye). With that said, what tie do you guys think goes better with a charcoal suit (or navy?), black shoes, and a white shirt

MPKl9.png


SB2200_md_CNT.jpg


16032a.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Such great advice again guys thanks. I think I'm going to go with the black meltons. I'll probably end up getting a charcoal suit as well (maybe a navy if one strikes my eye). With that said, what tie do you guys think goes better with a charcoal suit (or navy?), black shoes, and a white shirt

MPKl9.png


SB2200_md_CNT.jpg


16032a.jpg

Tough to tell in the picture whether the first and third ties are different colors, or just the same tie in different lighting (i'm assuming the former since you posted all three pictures). In that case, I personally prefer the third option that is a little more burgundy-ish than bright red. It may sound silly, but the first two ties are the color I would probably wear with a navy suit, but with a charcoal suit I tend to prefer a slightly darker burgundy/maroon color. Again, this is just mypersonal preference. As for the style, I think they're all perfectly fine. I think I like the middle one the least, but it's still a nice tie. It would just be the first one I would eliminate.
 
Are sweater vests a no no? haha I'm a big fan of the sweater vests... and bow ties, but I'm sure that's pushing it.
 
Such great advice again guys thanks. I think I'm going to go with the black meltons. I'll probably end up getting a charcoal suit as well (maybe a navy if one strikes my eye). With that said, what tie do you guys think goes better with a charcoal suit (or navy?), black shoes, and a white shirt

MPKl9.png


SB2200_md_CNT.jpg


16032a.jpg

The deeper red (3rd tie) is a little more conservative and will look best for the interview. If you're going to be in a charcoal suit I would also recommend considering something like the following:

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...g=4&categoryIds=31,22,1,60,18&optionValueIds=

In general, the simpler the better. Simple stripes and pindots are what you want to look for.

Are sweater vests a no no? haha I'm a big fan of the sweater vests... and bow ties, but I'm sure that's pushing it.

No to both. Suit, shirt, tie. That's it.
 
Are sweater vests a no no? haha I'm a big fan of the sweater vests... and bow ties, but I'm sure that's pushing it.

I believe so. I have never worn a suit, been rocking sweater vests and occasionally bow ties. But i spoke to a pre-med advisor that i work with and he says I need to go professional and wear a suit.

i was also told that i should go clean shaven, does that matter much? My face looks weird when I'm clean shaven, i have a beard similar to this

http://79.img.v4.skyrock.net/796/spree08/pics/2981408361_1_3_KiQgUtt4.jpg

But not as much length on the goatee.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk
 
Are sweater vests a no no? haha I'm a big fan of the sweater vests... and bow ties, but I'm sure that's pushing it.

No to both.

As an aside, unless you're a proper southern gentleman who has years of experience pulling off a bowtie, don't be "that guy" once you get to med school (sorry Dr. Bowtie!). There's a kid who's a rising second year at my medical school (northeastern US) who constantly wears a bowtie.....like, to class, with a button down shirt, khakis, and sneakers. He also of course wears the bowtie with whatever clothes he wears on the wards for their intro to medicine course (learning patient interviews and such). I had one conversation with him once and it became immediately apparent that he was really trying to force the "hey guys, I'm quirky, that's my thing!" issue. Like the guy on your hall freshman year of college who wears a fedora, or the one who gives himself the nickname "Rocky" in the hopes that it'll catch on.

/rant.