You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Men's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If you go to J. Crew's website and check the Factory sale section, they have a charcoal 2-button/flat front pants suit for less than $300 with free shipping. Most of the sizes are still available, but the Factory section is only open on weekends.
Find it here.
Find it here.
For shoes: these are insanely comfortable and not 350 like AE are
http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/ca...6+4294966454/t-MEN'S|OXFORDS&scrX=0&scrY=1203
Does anyone have any reconmendation for what to hold in your hands to the interview. I would feel awkward walking in empty handed, but I'm unsure what is appropriate plus I don't know if I SHOULD bring anything.
I love that Nike owns Cole Haan and as a result their dress shoes are super comfy. We have a Cole haan outlet nearby and I picked up a similar pair of black shoes for $100
Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know some of you talked about JoS. A. Bank not being the best for fits, but they have a very good sale going on till Monday. You can get one suit and get two free.
http://www.josbankbigandtall.com/me...02&catalogId=11050&contentKey=IN_STORE_EVENTS
Check it out. Might be worth while. Its online and in-store.
http://www.josbankbigandtall.com/me...02&catalogId=11050&contentKey=IN_STORE_EVENTS
Check it out. Might be worth while. Its online and in-store.
and some of you are talking about slim fit suits and i just want to say you can shove it.
and some of you are talking about slim fit suits and i just want to say you can shove it.
I'm not sure if anyone meant any disrespect Froggie 😉 Just that Jos A Bank is known for having their suits cut more "boxy" style rather than a "athletic" or "V cut" style.
If you like your Jos A Bank suit, then more power to you. Just take it to get it tailored and it will serve you well 👍
But you do want to get slim or X-slim dress shirts. These will be more flattering on your sides when you tuck in the shirt. Regular shirts billow out and can make you look like a balloon.
BAH! It's all good. I had my balla suit tailored. Makes me look P-I-M-P. If you guys see me on the interview trail, you can just think, "who is that stunning, handsome, well dressed, obviously hard working and well endowed fatty over there. Oh, nevermind, that is Froggy."
Would these shoes be fine with a suit for an interview?
![]()
Would these shoes be fine with a suit for an interview?
If you already have those shoes, then wear them as they wouldn't stop you form receiving an acceptance. As for one review of them that I found for that particular shoe, take it for what it's worth
DO NOT BUY
★☆☆☆☆1.0
"I am so unhappy with these shoes, I have owned them maybe 3 months all during the summer and the soles are worn thru and were split by the end of two months. Very low quality wish I had known before so I didn't waste my time and money"
But many on here have recommended and almost insist you go with a cap-toe oxford if you're going to buy a new pair. So somehing like this would look better
Whats the general opinion on accessories like messenger bags / portfolio bags or suit cases? Where do you guys hold your notes and hand outs during interviews?
staples. buy a leather portfolio for ~$20. amortize it as part of the process.
Academic attedings are mostly dinosaurs. Stick with the traditional. Would you see the president wearing it? Very old school. Dont express any metro
"Would the President wear it?" is a good test. Maybe less true at the coastal schools than elsewhere, but it's an excellent rule of thumb. Don't stray from it unless you know you have good fashion sense.
![]()
Would these shoes be fine with a suit for an interview?
i can see how cheap those are from here. decent shoes are an investment. buy them now, and own them for twenty years. Mine came from Allen Edmonds; I recommend you shop those or something of similar caliber. You don't have to buy captoes; you do have to avoid loafers.
pants tailored or not...I would say a belt is always required for a professional appearance
If the pants has belt loops, belt. If they are tailored without the loops, no belt, duh. If they are tailored with loops, belt. If they are not tailored with loops, belt. I never wear a belt 😉
AFAIK dry cleaning is the only way to clean your suit. putting it through a home washing machine will likely ruin it. cleaning does shorten the lifespan, so do what you can to extend time between cleanings. put your jacket on a hanger while driving, make sure to store it properly at home (on a proper suit hanger in a garment bag), and use a lint roller. make sure you're wearing appropriate undergarments (t-shirt) to minimize the sweat that gets through to your dress shirt and suit.
A steamer is the best thing to use. As for sweat, if you're sweating in a suit, take it off. You shouldn't wear a suit that is not suitable for the weather. If you're in the summer, wear "half canvassed" (I'm not saying the suit is half fused, half floating canvassed, I mean the back of the suit is left open without any canvassing). Also wear tropical wool which is quite amazing even in hot temps. Also opt for linen or linen/tropical wool combos. Get less padding at the shoulders to further increase the ability of the suit to vent heat. Double vents also helps.
Wool is naturally odor eating and any small amount of sweat is no sweat. Just steam it to accelerate getting rid of the odor and don't dry clean at all.
A suit should last your entire life without ever needing to dry clean, no joke. Unless you own one suit and wear it all the time...
It's amazing living in southern california how many people take their clothes to the cleaners. Not only do the people down here dress bad, they think they dress well enough that they need to take their clothes to the cleaners to look good.
I've danced in a suit before (the kind that requires flailing arms and legs) and I still didn't break a suit. It was a tropical wool 9 ounce with no canvas in the back. It also helps to wear a shirt made with high quality cotton that breathes.
Do a test: get one of those shirts you get from volunteering. Wear it. And try to notice how uncomfortable your skin breathes in it. Those shirts are made from short cotton. Low end shirts use crappy cotton.
If you sweat a lot, stay away from oxford weave, herringbone, or most other interesting weaves. Stick with broadcloth. Sucks to be you. I love my oxford weaves...
This may sound ironic or counterintuitive, but undershirts may make the problem worse if they are made with very bad cotton. Cotton isn't good at wicking away moisture and will retain it and will trap heat in if it isn't allowed to breath.
Try this: buy one of those UnderArmour shirts in the long sleeve in a light gray. Light gray actually conceals better under a dress shirt. UnderArmour-type shirts wick moisture at such an amazing rate that even if it is long sleeve, it will produce a very cold feeling.
Hope this helps.
Last edited:
Ever been to Arizona in August? 😉
UnderArmour + linen shirt + linen suit. Kapow. Next question.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are everyone's feelings on tie width and color?
I have a dark grey, modern suit with narrow lapels - not ultra-skinny, but appropriately tailored and contour fitting.
I plan on wearing a 2.75 inch tie. I know 3-3.5 inches is the traditional width, but I feel like a narrower tie is more appropriate for my suit. Also, do you think a solid black tie is appropriate or is too formal? Alternatively, I have a navy blue tie with light blue stripes.
I have a dark grey, modern suit with narrow lapels - not ultra-skinny, but appropriately tailored and contour fitting.
I plan on wearing a 2.75 inch tie. I know 3-3.5 inches is the traditional width, but I feel like a narrower tie is more appropriate for my suit. Also, do you think a solid black tie is appropriate or is too formal? Alternatively, I have a navy blue tie with light blue stripes.
Tie width should roughly correspond with lapel width so I think you should be fine. 2.75 is about the narrowest I would go.
I would wear the navy/white tie. Assuming your shirt and suit are solid, wearing a solid black silk tie would be a bland addition.
Thanks 👍. I want to look like a modern, young professional, but at the same time I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. These little details are really understated, especially where making a first impression.
because that is the typical american.Speaking of x-slim shirts, why is the default for dress shirts fitted for a morbidly obese man? I apparently have a disproportionally thick neck, so the chest and waist on my size shirts could fit three of me.
Tie width should roughly correspond with lapel width so I think you should be fine. 2.75 is about the narrowest I would go.
I would wear the navy/white tie. Assuming your shirt and suit are solid, wearing a solid black silk tie would be a bland addition.
2.75 is a pretty good width, I sometimes rock 2.5" and it seems to work ok, I wouldn't go narrower than that unless you're like 6' and 130
Thanks 👍. I want to look like a modern, young professional, but at the same time I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. These little details are really understated, especially where making a first impression.
With fall/winter coming, I think the gray suit + black tie could look pretty slick if you vary the textures well. i.e., a gray flannel suit + black knit tie might be interesting:
sadly, knit ties are inherently casual and thus not fitting for an interview.
... or, in Florida? 😳Ever been to Arizona in August? 😉
👍Tommy Hilfiger Charcoal Pinstripe suit with blue shirt and red tie with alternating shades of blue stripes
Just wanted to point out that during Nordstrom's anniversary sales, a number of Allen Edmonds models (Park Avenue, Strand, etc) are sold for $199.For shoes: these are insanely comfortable and not 350 like AE are: http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?sizeDescription=&catId=100&productId=426333&productGroup=426335&pwpHash=shop,pwp,c-100/f-10002+70016+4294966454/t-MEN%27S|OXFORDS&scrX=0&scrY=1203
How crazy are you guys going regarding grooming? Eyebrow wax? Manicure? What is too much?
How crazy are you guys going regarding grooming? Eyebrow wax? Manicure? What is too much?
I was thinking about a Brazilian wax just to prove how committed I am to getting in 😀
Yep, famously good deal.Just wanted to point out that during Nordstrom's anniversary sales, a number of Allen Edmonds models (Park Avenue, Strand, etc) are sold for $199.
Not sure if srs.How crazy are you guys going regarding grooming? Eyebrow wax? Manicure? What is too much?
Get rid of the unibrow, cut your fingernails, good to go.
For those of you with your suits already, how does it usually take to get basic alterations? I'll be shopping for a suit about 2 weeks before my first interview. Is that enough time?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you with your suits already, how does it usually take to get basic alterations? I'll be shopping for a suit about 2 weeks before my first interview. Is that enough time?
1 week is usually enough. However if you can, why not go earlier and have more room for error?
Opinion on black shoes... I'm on a low budget
This:
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Alma...=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Bostonian-2039-Mens-Akron-Oxford/dp/B0007MCQA8/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3
or
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Mens...=sr_1_5?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-5
With a charcoal or navy blue suit.
This:
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Alma...=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Bostonian-2039-Mens-Akron-Oxford/dp/B0007MCQA8/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3
or
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Mens...=sr_1_5?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-5
With a charcoal or navy blue suit.
Opinion on black shoes... I'm on a low budget
This:
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Alma...=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Bostonian-2039-Mens-Akron-Oxford/dp/B0007MCQA8/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3
or
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Mens...=sr_1_5?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-5
With a charcoal or navy blue suit.
I like the 2nd pair. First had too many holes, third too square in front. IMO
I'm on a tight tight budget, the only dress shoes I have look something like this
http://greatgreenshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Screen-shot-2011-06-08-at-8.40.24-PM.png
I know there far from stylish and above posters seem to despise loafer, square toes with a passion. Are these going to kill my professional look?
http://greatgreenshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Screen-shot-2011-06-08-at-8.40.24-PM.png
I know there far from stylish and above posters seem to despise loafer, square toes with a passion. Are these going to kill my professional look?
Opinion on black shoes... I'm on a low budget
This:
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Alma...=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Bostonian-2039-Mens-Akron-Oxford/dp/B0007MCQA8/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3
or
http://www.amazon.com/Rockport-Mens...=sr_1_5?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1315616709&sr=1-5
With a charcoal or navy blue suit.
2nd pair, hands down - that is classic.
FWIW, I found a pair of $300 Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues (i.e. the standard for professional shoes) in superb condition on eBay for just over $100. Just sayin' ...
I'm on a tight tight budget, the only dress shoes I have look something like this
http://greatgreenshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Screen-shot-2011-06-08-at-8.40.24-PM.png
I know there far from stylish and above posters seem to despise loafer, square toes with a passion. Are these going to kill my professional look?
Yes, one they are not lace up. Two they are square. Go buy some or look around at local stores for a used pair.
I'm on a tight tight budget, the only dress shoes I have look something like this
http://greatgreenshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Screen-shot-2011-06-08-at-8.40.24-PM.png
I know there far from stylish and above posters seem to despise loafer, square toes with a passion. Are these going to kill my professional look?
Keep in mind you're a half-step away from this. And those are crocs.
Guys, I'm having a hard time here. I'm torn between style and comfort, and I don't know what I should go for. I know I'm going to be on my feet all day, so comfort would be paramount. But I also want to stand out! I'd like to impress them with my cultivated sense of fashion. A little help would be much appreciated.
Don't worry, they've already been bought and are the ONLY shoes I brought with me in my suitcase. Which should I wear to my interview tomorrow?
edit: I may or may not be kinda short
#1
#2
#3
#4
#5
Don't worry, they've already been bought and are the ONLY shoes I brought with me in my suitcase. Which should I wear to my interview tomorrow?
edit: I may or may not be kinda short
#1
#2
#3
#4
#5
Humor is a sign of intelligence. And when you're dealing with pre-med students, I recommend you try more clever ways of going about it. Don't think people haven't already posted the Loony Tunes ties, the cowboy boots, etc.
There was one guy who posted Air Force Ones and it wasn't funny at first. But like a fine wine, it became better with time. Because he wasn't joking. It was funny but only because it was sad.
There was one guy who posted Air Force Ones and it wasn't funny at first. But like a fine wine, it became better with time. Because he wasn't joking. It was funny but only because it was sad.
ah the alligator print ones? That was CLASSY.Humor is a sign of intelligence. And when you're dealing with pre-med students, I recommend you try more clever ways of going about it. Don't think people haven't already posted the Loony Tunes ties, the cowboy boots, etc.
There was one guy who posted Air Force Ones and it wasn't funny at first. But like a fine wine, it became better with time. Because he wasn't joking. It was funny but only because it was sad.
Solid Navy Suit
Light blue shirt
Tie:
Either a light blue tie with thin yellow/gold diagonal striping or a black tie with light blue dots
Burgundy(dark) shoes
Burgundy belt
This is what I'm going to be wearing. Bought it today, having it tailored although I fit pretty well into my measured size so the modifications are minimal.
Light blue shirt
Tie:
Either a light blue tie with thin yellow/gold diagonal striping or a black tie with light blue dots
Burgundy(dark) shoes
Burgundy belt
This is what I'm going to be wearing. Bought it today, having it tailored although I fit pretty well into my measured size so the modifications are minimal.
First interview is next week and I should really be going over my responses to typical questions.... but my tie color is still bugging me.
Any advice on ties?
Charcoal Flannel Suit from Brooks Bros
White Collar shirt
Black Belt
Black AE Park Aves
White pocket square TV fold
I have a silk navy tie with pindots that I purchased.. I like it but not totally in love with it. Feel like it may have too many dots.

Any opinions on another tie to purchase? Was thinking about that deep purple eggplant wool tie that I posted earlier but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
Any advice on ties?
Charcoal Flannel Suit from Brooks Bros
White Collar shirt
Black Belt
Black AE Park Aves
White pocket square TV fold
I have a silk navy tie with pindots that I purchased.. I like it but not totally in love with it. Feel like it may have too many dots.

Any opinions on another tie to purchase? Was thinking about that deep purple eggplant wool tie that I posted earlier but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
You have a lot of blue going on. Go for the black tie. Don't match the major color of your tie to the major color of your shirt (it looks funny, trust me.)Solid Navy Suit
Light blue shirt
Tie:
Either a light blue tie with thin yellow/gold diagonal striping or a black tie with light blue dots
Burgundy(dark) shoes
Burgundy belt
This is what I'm going to be wearing. Bought it today, having it tailored although I fit pretty well into my measured size so the modifications are minimal.
That tie should be fine. I like the purple/charcoal mix, I rocked that look at several of my interviews. In fact, consider getting a purple tie with white stripes. I don't remember the tie you posted earlier. Sounds like you have a quality set up tho.First interview is next week and I should really be going over my responses to typical questions.... but my tie color is still bugging me.
Any advice on ties?
Charcoal Flannel Suit from Brooks Bros
White Collar shirt
Black Belt
Black AE Park Aves
White pocket square TV fold
I have a silk navy tie with pindots that I purchased.. I like it but not totally in love with it. Feel like it may have too many dots.
Any opinions on another tie to purchase? Was thinking about that deep purple eggplant wool tie that I posted earlier but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
That tie should be fine. I like the purple/charcoal mix, I rocked that look at several of my interviews. In fact, consider getting a purple tie with white stripes. I don't remember the tie you posted earlier. Sounds like you have a quality set up tho.
I'd really love to go with a purple tie (matches my grey/black/purple argyle socks!) but I can't seem to find one that you described. My suit and shirt are solid and boring so I'm trying to find a nice purple tie with an interesting weave and coming up short.
^^ I was also considering a grenadine tie, but worried about it being considered a knit 😀 I think that the Knits are pretty easy to spot (skinner, short, and have that squared off end). When you sit, you're gonna unbutton your jacket so they should be able to see your whole tie and notice that it's not a knit tie. Any eye that lingers upon a grenadine tie is surely in for a treat. (I prefer the Fine grenadine over the coarse, just my preference)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) how much will I probably have to pay for a suit (blazer + pants)? For instance, the 3-button charcoal men's suit at Banana Republic.com would come out to $450 total for blazer+pants. Is this about the expectation?
2) do I have to get my suit tailored? How much does it cost to tailor a suit on average?
3) Dark brown shoes work with charcoal suits, si senora?
Thanks!
2) do I have to get my suit tailored? How much does it cost to tailor a suit on average?
3) Dark brown shoes work with charcoal suits, si senora?
Thanks!
1. Anywhere from $200-$1000 is appropriate. Aim for <$500. Depends on quality.1) how much will I probably have to pay for a suit (blazer + pants)? For instance, the 3-button charcoal men's suit at Banana Republic.com would come out to $450 total for blazer+pants. Is this about the expectation?
2) do I have to get my suit tailored? How much does it cost to tailor a suit on average?
3) Dark brown shoes work with charcoal suits, si senora?
Thanks!
2. Tailoring is mandatory. Should cost ~$35-100 IIRC. Depends on what you need done to the suit (waist suppression, sleeves taken in/out, pants hemmed are the major ones)
3. Kinda. Depends on the charcoal. Black is preferred with dark charcoal. Mid grey or lighter typically better for brown.
Right on from banana.
Tailoring is < 100. It's VERY worth the extra $20-$30 to go to a real tailor and not a dry-cleaning place that does alteration. Made that mistake once and was very disappointed.
Grey anything suit = black shoes unless you're a GQ model and know how to pull some swank. In general, I think interview attire should stick to classic tried and true formulas.
Tailoring is < 100. It's VERY worth the extra $20-$30 to go to a real tailor and not a dry-cleaning place that does alteration. Made that mistake once and was very disappointed.
Grey anything suit = black shoes unless you're a GQ model and know how to pull some swank. In general, I think interview attire should stick to classic tried and true formulas.