Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, thank you for the undershirt help guys. I think I will wear one.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do I say this nicely..hmm..this is pre-med BS.

Yes, people judge you and If you look like crap they will notice, same if you smell.

But I have interviewed hundreds of people in the last decade for jobs (most in the $60-75k/yr range) and 24 hours after the interview I couldn't tell you candidate's tie color if my life was on the line. Though I might remember if you didn't wear one.

You want to look like you belong, but nobody is going to say "he would make a great Dr, but that black suit just didn't hang right on him, send him packing"

Look nice, relax and most importantly remember they want to know what kind of physician you will be, not if you know which color tie makes people think happy thoughts.

PS: to clarify I wear a shirt/tie to work everyday. I will be wearing my charcoal suit and one of a couple shirt/tie combos depending on my mood when I pack.

So you wouldn't remember if someone's appearance looked off, or if they wore something outlandish?

So you wouldn't remember if someone's appearance looked off, or if they wore something outlandish?

Outlandish or inappropriate yes. But baby blue vs robin blue, not a chance.

More importantly, obvious no-no's like brown shoes with black slacks might be noticed, I would not have made a hiring decision based on it.

I guess at schools with students doing interviews it might come into play, but part of being professional is learning NOT to judge on appearance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Outlandish or inappropriate yes. But baby blue vs robin blue, not a chance.

More importantly, obvious no-no's like brown shoes with black slacks might be noticed, I would not have made a hiring decision based on it.

I guess at schools with students doing interviews it might come into play, but part of being professional is learning NOT to judge on appearance.

What's all the hate against brown shoes and black/dark gray pants? Don't listen to girls about how to dress. Brown shoes being bad is like the rule that you shouldn't wear two different patterns or your socks should match your slacks or your shoes.

I think the key is to be confident. However, if you don't know what you're wearing, there's no way you're gonna be confident. It's odd that well dressed people are always confident and the poorly dressed are always awkward. It's almost as if they go hand in hand. Sure, there are tons of smart kids who dress awkward who still do well in life. But then there are those who are smart and confident and dress well and also do well in life.

I'm not saying the two are connected. But why not connect them?

Not judging a book by the cover is like saying you've got 5 senses, but try to use only 4 of them. The author/publisher/literary agent spent a lot of time coming up with a cover. And you're gonna ignore it?

About cuffs: I'm short and I still wear them. I'm not portly. Cuffs are classic and require that everything else looks dead on. If you're not confident about everything, why would you want to draw attention by adding extra details? However, if your pants' leg opening is huge, as in that drawing, it is best you don't get them. It just draws attention to how large the pant leg openings are and hence, how portly you are. If you're slim and your pants are well made so that the leg opening is just large enough to sit at the mid-tongue of the shoe, then cuffs look great. Especially if you have no break and you show just a bit of sock. Why not draw attention to well made stuff?

tumblr_lpd4tvd8sf1qfbji5o1_1280.jpg

This guy isn't necessarily tall. Don't worry, they're not gay. The guy on the left just happens to be the owner of the tie company of the tie he is inspecting.

How you dress is important. It is an extension of our subconscious about our own tastes, likes, and dislikes. It reflects on our adherence to rules, our respect for social norms, etc. And yet, we're suppose to ignore all that and go solely on a bunch of rehearsed answers? I find that disturbing. Be gestaltists.

Last edited:
Not judging a book by the cover is like saying you've got 5 senses, but try to use only 4 of them. The author/publisher/literary agent spent a lot of time coming up with a cover. And you're gonna ignore it?

How you dress is important. It is an extension of our subconscious about our own tastes, likes, and dislikes. It reflects on our adherence to rules, our respect for social norms, etc. And yet, we're suppose to ignore all that and go solely on a bunch of rehearsed answers? I find that disturbing. Be gestaltists.

Agreed, though I think dressing well is fast becoming a lost art among modern men. We have all seen our share of non-immaculately dressed professionals to know this is the case. I think this is also why that as long as your interview attire is generally within the broad set of social norms (i.e. don't wear khakis and sneakers) then it will have a minimal effect on your performance in the eyes of the interviewer.

Appreciating the details in others' dress requires a thorough understanding of how to dress in the first place. I liken this process to critiquing wine. I may be able to tell the difference between the boxed stuff and a $20 bottle, but I'm no connoisseur - I cannot yet pick out the subtleties in the flavor that separate the $10 bottles from the $150+ varieties. Similarly with dress - until you spend time studying the standards of style and how to dress well, you lack the understanding required to appreciate the taste in other mens' style. You will be able to pick out the big things like the fit of the suit and the colors selected, but it takes a practiced sartorialist to pick out the intricacies of the fabric textures, the craftsmanship in the shoes, and the quality of the tie knot that separate good from superb attire.

This is for residency but would apply to med school interviews equally well. Do you guys think a plain white pocket square is too fashion forward? (or sartorial, if thats a more appropriate term.)

Reactions: 1 user
This is for residency but would apply to med school interviews equally well. Do you guys think a plain white pocket square is too fashion forward? (or sartorial, if thats a more appropriate term.)
I wore a PS everywhere I interviewed. I think I might have even done a colored one at one of my interviews :eek:

Just fold it conservatively (show just a line) when in doubt.

-------

Also, all of my classmates seem better dressed than average. Hmmmm... ;P

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I'm, not a suit snob, I own a light grey and a dark navy suit. I Choose to wear the light grey because I like the way I look in it, and I get to stand out slightly in a conservative and traditional way....But y do 90% of men wear black suits? It really is not appropriate. Black suits are traditionally only for a Boss of a company or for funerals? I have seen interviewers ask people in black suits who died. I understand that black is the only color some people have, but why is that the only color that 90% has or why do a large portion of applicants choose to wear black? A dark charcoal or Navy would be so much better

I did not read the entire thread (or the previous ones for that matter)...

What about people with brown skin (aka Indians)? Any preference? Something to avoid?

Currently I have two suits, one black the other is a charcoal pinstripe (looks like this, but a little darker).

Also, as previously asked, what about navy blue blazer and khaki pants? I can find that color blazer in my size...

The major problem with me (as I said in the previous thread) are my dimensions. I am 5'8, 105 pounds, and my shoulder width fits that of a boys18. So that cuts down the selection considerably and custom suits are ridiculously expensive. I have tried to gain weight, but that has not worked in the past...

Also, does anyone's feet hurt from wearing dress shoes? I have no problem with sneakers or boots, but dress shoes begin to kill my feet in a few hours.

What about people with brown skin (aka Indians)? Any preference? Something to avoid?

Currently I have two suits, one black the other is a charcoal pinstripe (looks like this, but a little darker).

Also, as previously asked, what about navy blue blazer and khaki pants? I can find that color blazer in my size...

The major problem with me (as I said in the previous thread) are my dimensions. I am 5'8, 105 pounds, and my shoulder width fits that of a boys18. So that cuts down the selection considerably and custom suits are ridiculously expensive. I have tried to gain weight, but that has not worked in the past...

Also, does anyone's feet hurt from wearing dress shoes? I have no problem with sneakers or boots, but dress shoes begin to kill my feet in a few hours.

standards for you are the same ones that work for everyone else:

- navy or charcoal suit
- white or blue shirt
- conservative tie

do not wear a navy blazer + khakis -- you need to be dressed professionally and blazer + khakis is not considered professional dress.

for someone of your proportions, made-to-measure is probably your best bet for a good suit. Try www.indochino.com - they have the most affordable MTM suits that I've seen. otherwise you could try searching the boys section at your local dept stores. the boys-size BB shirts actually fit me pretty well, and if they weren't a tad less formal than the adult shirts I would've used one for the interview.

your feet probably hurt because you bought cheap shoes. instead of dropping $100 on a pair of Bass that will make your feet hurt and fall apart in a year, spend that $100 on a used pair of Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues on ebay. They are known to last for decades (you can re-sole them b/c the soles are stitched on instead of glued on like the cheaper brands) and your feet will be much more comfortable.

if you really do not want the high quality shoes and want a new pair, I had a pair of Rockports a long time ago that were pretty comfortable.

standards for you are the same ones that work for everyone else:

- navy or charcoal suit
- white or blue shirt
- conservative tie

do not wear a navy blazer + khakis -- you need to be dressed professionally and blazer + khakis is not considered professional dress.

for someone of your proportions, made-to-measure is probably your best bet for a good suit. Try www.indochino.com - they have the most affordable MTM suits that I've seen. otherwise you could try searching the boys section at your local dept stores. the boys-size BB shirts actually fit me pretty well, and if they weren't a tad less formal than the adult shirts I would've used one for the interview.

your feet probably hurt because you bought cheap shoes. instead of dropping $100 on a pair of Bass that will make your feet hurt and fall apart in a year, spend that $100 on a used pair of Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues on ebay. They are known to last for decades (you can re-sole them b/c the soles are stitched on instead of glued on like the cheaper brands) and your feet will be much more comfortable.

if you really do not want the high quality shoes and want a new pair, I had a pair of Rockports a long time ago that were pretty comfortable.

I was thinking the reason my foot hurt was because of something like this (play animation on upper left).

I do not mind spending $100-$250 on a pair of shoes as long as they are comfortable and last me a couple of years.

Also, thanks about the info about the custom tailoring website. The suits look really nice and are better priced than some of the other alternatives I have seen. My custom tailor is charging me $700 per suit and men's warehouse quoted me $1,200+. I cannot wait for the next time I visit India, over there I can get a custom tailored suit for approximately $150.

I won't be having interviews for some time so I will hold off to buying these suits for now. Plan to start exercising after my MCAT are finished next week and see my school nutritionist. Don't want to buy a suit that I may not be able to fit into after a few months...

Been following this thread for a while, now I have my own questions: Went out with the "rich" aunt today to go suit shopping.. Went to Nordstroms, Jos. A Bank, and Brooks Bros.

Nordstroms: Bought some Park Ave Allen Edmonds in Black, matching belt. Tried on a Canali Suit in Charcoal Grey, she loved it. Sticker shocker: $1500 suit. I said helllll no. Went to Jos A Bank, no help from the salesmen, walked out in 10 min. Went to Brooks Bros and found an awesome fitting 1818 Regents suit that made me feel really comfortable and confident. Only thing is: It comes in Black with grey pinstriping ONLY. So disappointed with the color selection. Aunt wanted to buy the Canali Suit, but I wouldn't let her.

I know I want something that will last me a long time, possibly to residency and beyond. What can I do now? The fit on the Regents was a 41R, but the Canali was a 42R. I really think that my true size is 41R as a 40R feels a tad too constricting while a 42R feels a tad too big in the shoulders.

MTM Suits any good? Indochino suits? Willing to spend the cash if the value is there.

Thanks.

inb4spoiled. My aunt only buys me things I *need* and she recognizes the necessity of a good, longlasting, fitted suit.

Last edited:
Been following this thread for a while, now I have my own questions: Went out with the "rich" aunt today to go suit shopping.. Went to Nordstroms, Jos. A Bank, and Brooks Bros.

Nordstroms: Bought some Park Ave Allen Edmonds in Black, matching belt. Tried on a Canali Suit in Charcoal Grey, she loved it. Sticker shocker: $1500 suit. I said helllll no. Went to Jos A Bank, no help from the salesmen, walked out in 10 min. Went to Brooks Bros and found an awesome fitting 1818 Regents suit that made me feel really comfortable and confident. Only thing is: It comes in Black with grey pinstriping ONLY. So disappointed with the color selection. Aunt wanted to buy the Canali Suit, but I wouldn't let her.

I know I want something that will last me a long time, possibly to residency and beyond. What can I do now? The fit on the Regents was a 41R, but the Canali was a 42R. I really think that my true size is 41R as a 40R feels a tad too constricting while a 42R feels a tad too big in the shoulders.

MTM Suits any good? Indochino suits? Willing to spend the cash if the value is there.

Thanks.

inb4spoiled. My aunt only buys me things I *need* and she recognizes the necessity of a good, longlasting, fitted suit.
You're right, the Canali is probably overpriced.

Your aunt is willing to buy you a brookes brothers suit. That's fantastic. Pick up some slim or x-slim fit shirts from them while you're at it. Order a 41R in a fabric you like off the internet/through that BB store and then get any necessary tailoring done at the store (proper sleeve length, pants hem/waist, suit waist, etc.). :thumbup::thumbup:

IDK if you need it ASAP for interviews. Hopefully you have a few weeks (although that's not to say I don't hope you already have some interviews!)

Thanks.

sucks that the service was bad. I want your aunt. BB is probably the best bet. You could order, or you can try going in some night this week. Sales people there are more laid back it seems when it isn't the weekend.

Your aunt is willing to buy you a brookes brothers suit. That's fantastic. Pick up some slim or x-slim fit shirts from them while you're at it. Order a 41R in a fabric you like off the internet/through that BB store and then get any necessary tailoring done at the store (proper sleeve length, pants hem/waist, suit waist, etc.). :thumbup::thumbup:

IDK if you need it ASAP for interviews. Hopefully you have a few weeks (although that's not to say I don't hope you already have some interviews!)

that Canali definitely sounds overpriced

what do you think about this navy 1818 Fitzgerald?

you can get two of those for just $100 more than that Canali, lol

+1 on the slim/x-slim shirts

Not firing any shots or anything; but maybe check out the children's section of some better known places, like J. Crew's Crewcuts or Polo or something. Some companies actually have pretty nice clothing for kids, and it's typically cheaper than the adult stuff anyway. Just a thought.

Also, since I haven't noticed anybody mention it, check out Ralph Lauren's Rugby line. I have a few oxfords from them and the fit is awesome. A very nice, truly slim fit shirt. I know some people might not consider oxford BDs to be formal enough, but they also have dress shirts in cotton poplin that would be suitable. Right now they are doing 20% off al full-priced items; but if you miss this sale, they always do a 15% student discount.

Canali was fully canvassed vs the 1818's half-canvassed. Should I be concerned? (I don't know that much about this stuff, except fused = bad?)

I didn't have a chance to talk to the BB guy since they were busy, and so were we. Can BB make me a special order Regents 1818 in charcoal grey? I think I tried on the Fitzgerald, but it just didn't feel as "right" as the Regent cut did.

My first interview is 9/23, so I have a little less than 4 weeks. Enough time for a special order? Labor day is coming up. Does BB have Labor Day sales?

Thanks guys.

Canali was fully canvassed vs the 1818's half-canvassed. Should I be concerned? (I don't know that much about this stuff, except fused = bad?)

I didn't have a chance to talk to the BB guy since they were busy, and so were we. Can BB make me a special order Regents 1818 in charcoal grey? I think I tried on the Fitzgerald, but it just didn't feel as "right" as the Regent cut did.

My first interview is 9/23, so I have a little less than 4 weeks. Enough time for a special order? Labor day is coming up. Does BB have Labor Day sales?

Thanks guys.

It looks like the madison and the milano only come in a single color (right now.) I would try Fitzgerald again, since it comes in more colors/fabrics. If it doesn't work for you though, there's no shame in that.

Fully canvassed is probably longer-lasting. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference. If you are, read this: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?86160-Canvas-half-canvas-etc.-explained

Depending on how long it takes to ship, you may have to get the tailoring done after your first interview, should you go with ordering from BB. You could ask about whether they can make the madison in a diff fabric--I don't know how flexible BB is.

Does the type of belt buckle matter for an interview? I own one similar to the one below

AAAAAh1E_BUAAAAAAQOXZw.jpg

Is it appropriate or would it be better to stick with a traditional buckle?

and what about these $75 Florsheim shoes?

!CCcwhJgEGk~$(KGrHqYOKi4EzV4HhgE3BNLK-IFrgg~~0_35.JPG

http://www.amazon.com/Florsheim-Mens-Canfield-Cap-Oxford/dp/B000GWD3W4

Lastly, I've seen many people say Jos A Bank's suits fit like your grandpas. But are they sufficient if you were to get them tailored?

Thanks

not a big suit wearer so...... I went in to Jos A Bank and got 60% off, free white shirt and half off a tie. Everything for about $400 including tailoring.

I walked in and said, "I have med school interviews, hook me up with the most conservative, proper thing that I can be in." They set me up with a solid navy suit, white shirt, and burgandy tie (with light blue stripes). Black shoes and black belt as well. I am a big guy so had to order everything and it took longer but (about 2 1/2 weeks all said and done) but it was totally worth it. First decent suit I have purchased and I love it.

Does the type of belt buckle matter for an interview? I own one similar to the one below

AAAAAh1E_BUAAAAAAQOXZw.jpg

%21CCcwhJgEGk%7E$%28KGrHqYOKi4EzV4HhgE3BNLK-IFrgg%7E%7E0_35.JPG

Lastly, I've seen many people say Jos A Bank's suits fit like your grandpas. But are they sufficient if you were to get them tailored?

Thanks
That belt would probably be fine, although it's really not hard to find a more conservative belt for cheap at like ross or marshalls or tjmaxx or something.

The shoes are fine.

Jos Bank suits are, indeed, often a poor fit initially, but they look pretty good once tailored*

*try and do your own research on how it needs to fit and be sure to stick to your guns. (light or no break, take in the sides if you're not fat, show 1/4-1/2" of sleeve, etc.)

I'm going back tonight to try on the Fitzgerald and the Milano as mentioned above, but had a question about pinstriping: good or bad? subtle pins ok?

Brooks Bros is having a 50% off sale (Today and Tomorrow - Wed/Thurs) on certain suits (mostly 1818s with non-solid colors) if anyone else is interested in checking it out. Brings most 1818s to ~$500.

Last edited:
How do you gentlemen feel about a light purple shirt with a checked darker purple on black tie? I feel they are conservative and look nice, however, I've also read that purple denotes arrogance. Anyone care to weigh on on this?

!CCcwhJgEGk~$(KGrHqYOKi4EzV4HhgE3BNLK-IFrgg~~0_35.JPG

Thanks

I'm going back tonight to try on the Fitzgerald and the Milano as mentioned above, but had a question about pinstriping: good or bad? subtle pins ok?

Brooks Bros is having a 50% off sale (Today and Tomorrow - Wed/Thurs) on certain suits (mostly 1818s with non-solid colors) if anyone else is interested in checking it out. Brings most 1818s to ~$500.

Some would argue that a belt is unnecessary for tailored pants (I share this opinion). Belts are designed to hold your pants up -- if your pants are tailored to fit your waist, I see no need for a belt.

Shoes are great.

I would be very selective when buying Jos A Bank / Mens Wearhouse suits for 2 reasons:

1. a tailor can take in the the sides of the jacket, but after a certain point the garment begins to look awkward and unproportional. you will have a slim torso but will still have very loose sleeves unless you get them altered too.

2. boxy suits tend to have big armholes that extend way below your armpit. 'slim fit' suits tend to have higher armholes that will slim down your appearance even more, but if you buy a regular fit suit it will be impossible for you to take advantage of this effect because a tailor can't alter armholes.

for these reasons, I think it's best to buy a slim fit suit from the get-go. Macy's had some great deals a few mos ago when I bought mine -- maybe with Labor Day approaching you will see some more sales.

The BB sale looked tempting, but then I noticed that there were maybe 1 or 2 sizes available in the suits I looked at :(

Some would argue that a belt is unnecessary for tailored pants (I share this opinion). Belts are designed to hold your pants up -- if your pants are tailored to fit your waist, I see no need for a belt.

pants tailored or not...I would say a belt is always required for a professional appearance

Gilt.com, a site that puts up new discounts on clothing each day, is currently doing a suiting sale for the next week with a bunch of stuff from a bunch of designers ranging in price. Plus, they typically have suits from other designers depending on the day. Gilt can be hit or miss, and sometimes you have to catch the sale when it first starts to get your size and be willing to pull the trigger on the purchase since it sits in you cart for 10 minutes before they allow someone else to grab it if you don't. The site need an invite for membership, or you can sign up and they'll send you an invite eventually (this method will take longer usually). I can send you an invite to sign up if you want to check it out. The membership is free, by the way. They also sell other stuff besides suits, but I figured that was the main interest of this thread.

Does anyone have any advice on laundering suits? I'm always weary of dry cleaning-I think the chemicals are harsh and cut down on the life. So what are my options? I have only one and it's been getting a lot of use lately and probably a little sweaty...

AFAIK dry cleaning is the only way to clean your suit. putting it through a home washing machine will likely ruin it. cleaning does shorten the lifespan, so do what you can to extend time between cleanings. put your jacket on a hanger while driving, make sure to store it properly at home (on a proper suit hanger in a garment bag), and use a lint roller. make sure you're wearing appropriate undergarments (t-shirt) to minimize the sweat that gets through to your dress shirt and suit.

Hey guys, I've never went to a med school interview, so not sure what to wear. In one of the interviews, the adcom told me to wear comfortable shoes, since there'll be a lot of walking. Does this mean I can wear some casual shoes (not sneakers obviously) that are not as formal as black dress shoes? Your advice would be great, thanks

Wear black dress shoes. Get used to wearing them because you will need to a lot. Find ones that you can walk in. They are out there.

No, the adcom did not mean that you can wear sneakers to the interview. What they meant is that you can wear leather lace-up dress shoes and too bad if they are uncomfortable.

Hey guys, I've never went to a med school interview, so not sure what to wear. In one of the interviews, the adcom told me to wear comfortable shoes, since there'll be a lot of walking. Does this mean I can wear some casual shoes (not sneakers obviously) that are not as formal as black dress shoes? Your advice would be great, thanks

Wear black dress shoes. Get used to wearing them because you will need to a lot. Find ones that you can walk in. They are out there.

+1. Dress shoes, like mattresses, are just one of those things where you can't skimp.

No, the adcom did not mean that you can wear sneakers to the interview. What they meant is that you can wear leather lace-up dress shoes and too bad if they are uncomfortable.

Merging related threads.

1. a tailor can take in the the sides of the jacket, but after a certain point the garment begins to look awkward and unproportional. you will have a slim torso but will still have very loose sleeves unless you get them altered too.

2. boxy suits tend to have big armholes that extend way below your armpit. 'slim fit' suits tend to have higher armholes that will slim down your appearance even more, but if you buy a regular fit suit it will be impossible for you to take advantage of this effect because a tailor can't alter armholes.

for these reasons, I think it's best to buy a slim fit suit from the get-go. Macy's had some great deals a few mos ago when I bought mine -- maybe with Labor Day approaching you will see some more sales.

The BB sale looked tempting, but then I noticed that there were maybe 1 or 2 sizes available in the suits I looked at :(

a. Pants should (for the purposes of this thread) always be worn with braces (suspenders, when your pants come WITHOUT belt loops) or a belt (when pants come with a belt.)

1. Indeed.

2.Yep, again agreed. Slim fit is really what the fit SHOULD be and does not at all even mean that the wearer should be slim. (I wear X-slim dress shirts but I am definitely not an x-slim person... they just fit like they're properly tailored)

I pulled the trigger on the Brooks Bros 50% off sale on Wednesday. Got this Milano Grey Flannel Suit in a 42R. The fabric looks better in person. They didn't have my size in stock, but the guy checked other stores and they had a few around so don't go strictly off what you see on their clearance section online. Find a style you like, go to the store or call them and see if they have your size.

Also bought some BrooksBros X-Slim White dress shirts.

Now I have a dilemma about which tie:

I like the pindots, not sure if this is too many dots though.

OR

Hard to tell in the pic, but its an eggplant purple which is very deep and this is a Wool tie.

I feel like I can't go wrong with the pindots, but there's something about the deep muted purple that says classy to me.

done.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any reconmendation for what to hold in your hands to the interview. I would feel awkward walking in empty handed, but I'm unsure what is appropriate plus I don't know if I SHOULD bring anything.

I'm gonna bring a black leather folder to collect paperwork in (as well as keep a map, itinerary, etc) and a nice pen, just so I don't fidget.

Speaking of x-slim shirts, why is the default for dress shirts fitted for a morbidly obese man? I apparently have a disproportionally thick neck, so the chest and waist on my size shirts could fit three of me.

I pulled the trigger on the Brooks Bros 50% off sale on Wednesday. Got this Milano Grey Flannel Suit in a 42R. The fabric looks better in person. They didn't have my size in stock, but the guy checked other stores and they had a few around so don't go strictly off what you see on their clearance section online. Find a style you like, go to the store or call them and see if they have your size.

I feel like I can't go wrong with the pindots, but there's something about the deep muted purple that says classy to me.

I like both. Tough choice.