Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, we adcomm's don't really notice your clothing unless it stands out for some reason, but if it does stand out, it should do so nicely. We expect a suit, but never in black, we're not undertakers, you know. When I was younger, and cared, I was Mister GQ (wouldn't be caught dead in ready-to-wear). But now every day is Casual Friday.

We're not as casual as Silicon Valley with their navy blazer over T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers; here in Texas we see this a lot from the under 40 set as daily wear around the medical center (over brown cowboy boots of course):

00011f.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Texas is different than the north east and chicago, which tend to be more conservative. The west coast is less conservative like texas.

I wouldn't ever consider wearing a khaki suit to an interview, but if I had a few acceptances in hand and had an interview at a cali school that I was interested in checking out I might swing it. Probably not though. I think it'd be appropriate for a summer interview though, but it's really not formal. (Also because I'd piss my pants if someone got turned off by that.)

It's just easiest to just go for the lowest common denominator, which is a navy or charcoal suit and black/burgundy shoes.

Also, re: shoes. Allen Edmonds is boss. If you're okay with used shoes, their stuff pops up on ebay all the time for a great price.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure do. I worked part time and didn't waste money on girls, clubs, and bars. I spent my Friday nights studying. It gives me peace of mind to show up to my interviews looking as good as I possibly can in a suit I worked hard to afford.
I'd rather show up with a slightly ill fitting suit with maybe a subtle wrinkle, regroomed morning after hair, a hint of old single malt on my breath and the whisper of a nonspecific musky note (vaginal?) suggestive of a fun night in a new city. But that's me. Friday fun day, not Friday nose in book night.
Don't forget balance guys.
School/study, exercise, fun. The 3 pillars of higher education. Sometimes 2 and 3 go together, sometimes on Friday nights. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just copped a navy suit but only have black wingtip (hush puppies) shoes. would these be considered informal for an interview?

You should rock brown Oxford shoes with the navy suit. Easy on the eyes, never fails.

I wish. I only have brown suede oxfords. Not much time to go shopping between now and interview though, is it worth it to go out for plain, non-wingtip styled black shoes?

I wish. I only have brown suede oxfords. Not much time to go shopping between now and interview though, is it worth it to go out for plain, non-wingtip styled black shoes?

Oxford (or balmorals) is a type of lacing like this:

759px-Acorn_captoes_side.JPG

the other being the blutcher, like so.

alden-longwing-bluchers-eclipse-light-brown-brogues-nomad-2.jpg

Blutchers have open lacing i.e. the flap that the laces go into is sewn on vs oxfords where the lacing area is part of the shoe leather. I hope that makes sense.

From a traditional standpoint, oxfords are more formal and should be worn with shoes. Blutchers are 'inappropriate' for suits.

For medical school interviews, this doesn't matter...

Plain black leather dress shoes (leather or hard rubber soled) are more than fine for med school interviews and are fine with a navy or charcoal suit. You're fine.

Also, I'm not sure I'd wear suede shoes to an interview. I mean, I think it would be fine and look great, but I personally wouldn't consider it as formal. There are plenty of cap toe suede oxfords that look great paired with a suit though. I also don't own a pair and don't see the point of buying some now.

Reactions: 1 user
Oxford (or balmorals) is a type of lacing like this:

759px-Acorn_captoes_side.JPG

the other being the blutcher, like so.

alden-longwing-bluchers-eclipse-light-brown-brogues-nomad-2.jpg

Blutchers have open lacing i.e. the flap that the laces go into is sewn on vs oxfords where the lacing area is part of the shoe leather. I hope that makes sense.

From a traditional standpoint, oxfords are more formal and should be worn with shoes. Blutchers are 'inappropriate' for suits.

For medical school interviews, this doesn't matter...

Plain black leather dress shoes (leather or hard rubber soled) are more than fine for med school interviews and are fine with a navy or charcoal suit. You're fine.

Also, I'm not sure I'd wear suede shoes to an interview. I mean, I think it would be fine and look great, but I personally wouldn't consider it as formal. There are plenty of cap toe suede oxfords that look great paired with a suit though. I also don't own a pair and don't see the point of buying some now.

Thanks so much for that, I actually had no idea why oxfords and blutchers were different haha. My issue was misconstrued though, I only own 1 pair of black dress shoes and they're black rubber soled wingtips similar to the following:
allenedmonds_mcallister_wing_tip_shoes_black_0.jpg

are these considered informal for interview purposes?

I wouldn't consider those formal, but if you have them and nothing better and can't afford to get another pair then I'd say you'll be okay. Maybe someone will get annoyed but it'd be unlikely.

Black cap toe oxfords are the quintessential mens dress shoe for wear with suits. They're formal and I think both plain cap toes and brogued cap toes (the punched holes) are appropriate.

img-thing.jpg
charles2.jpg

I wouldn't consider those formal, but if you have them and nothing better and can't afford to get another pair then I'd say you'll be okay. Maybe someone will get annoyed but it'd be unlikely.

Black cap toe oxfords are the quintessential mens dress shoe for wear with suits. They're formal and I think both plain cap toes and brogued cap toes (the punched holes) are appropriate.

img-thing.jpg
charles2.jpg

Thanks a lot man, you've been a great help. probs will go cop a pair of those tomorrow.

So I really have no idea how I should get my suit tailored. I know some basics like hemming the trousers and maybe letting out or bringing in the waist for the jacket, but can tailors just tell you what you should do and just do it?

Thanks a lot man, you've been a great help. probs will go cop a pair of those tomorrow.

Yeah. I think you can be more 'fashionable' at times with burgundy/dark brown/tan shoes depending on your confidence and what color your suit is, but there's never a time when black will not work. If you can have one pair of interview shoes due to money etc then black cap toes are the best choice. They are appropriate for EVERY situation that required formal shoes: weddings, interviews, funerals, etc.

I'm a bit of a clothes horse so I have black, burgundy, and dark brown cap toe oxfords. I also work at an office so I get the chance to wear them relatively regularly.

If you have leather soled shoes, you can also get a topy on the sole for 20-25 bucks to protect the leather part of the sole. It's a rubber layer glued on by a cobbler that lasts better than the leather sole and doesn't slip as easily on marbled floors. It's much cheaper to replaced than resoling a leather shoe which runs about 60 bucks in boston.

So I really have no idea how I should get my suit tailored. I know some basics like hemming the trousers and maybe letting out or bringing in the waist for the jacket, but can tailors just tell you what you should do and just do it?

I would trust a tailor. Don't go to a dry cleaner that also does tailoring though as that can be asking for trouble.

Things that one might suggest:
-Hemming pants
-Bringing in waist of jacket
-Sleeve length of jacket
-Changing seat of pants (depends on how they fit your ass)
-Tapering pants (I like mine to be a bit slim and have a leg opening about 8 inches across)
-Cuff or no cuff (depends on how you like them and if there's enough fabric. I think cuffed pants look better with a suit)
-Etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I think you can be more 'fashionable' at times with burgundy/dark brown/tan shoes depending on your confidence and what color your suit is, but there's never a time when black will not work. If you can have one pair of interview shoes due to money etc then black cap toes are the best choice. They are appropriate for EVERY situation that required formal shoes: weddings, interviews, funerals, etc.

I'm a bit of a clothes horse so I have black, burgundy, and dark brown cap toe oxfords. I also work at an office so I get the chance to wear them relatively regularly.

If you have leather soled shoes, you can also get a topy on the sole for 20-25 bucks to protect the leather part of the sole. It's a rubber layer glued on by a cobbler that lasts better than the leather sole and doesn't slip as easily on marbled floors. It's much cheaper to replaced than resoling a leather shoe which runs about 60 bucks in boston.

I would trust a tailor. Don't go to a dry cleaner that also does tailoring though as that can be asking for trouble.

Things that one might suggest:
-Hemming pants
-Bringing in waist of jacket
-Sleeve length of jacket
-Changing seat of pants (depends on how they fit your ass)
-Tapering pants (I like mine to be a bit slim and have a leg opening about 8 inches across)
-Cuff or no cuff (depends on how you like them and if there's enough fabric. I think cuffed pants look better with a suit)
-Etc.
Thanks, man. So, they can just figure out what needs to be done and do it, right? lol. I don't want to make dumb suggestions and then pay for it.

Thanks, man. So, they can just figure out what needs to be done and do it, right? lol. I don't want to make dumb suggestions and then pay for it.

If they're a good and honest tailor, they can tell you what are the necessary things to make it fit well and what are the more optional things that they'd recommend. For the suit I thrifted I needed the following alterations:

-Pants lengthened and cuffed
-Jacket waist brought in
-Jacket sleeves lengthened by about half an inch
-Pant waist brought in 1.5 inches.
-Pant leg width narrowed.

If you bought the suit new, some stores will do the alterations for you. They might not be the best at their job but it'll be okay. My old coworker bought his suits at JAB or MW (cant remember) and they had his pant legs at 2 different lengths or something of that sort. He realized when he took his suit home and showed it to his mom he had to scramble to get it back fixed before his first interview. I told him that I'd offered to go with him ahha.

If they're a good and honest tailor, they can tell you what are the necessary things to make it fit well and what are the more optional things that they'd recommend. For the suit I thrifted I needed the following alterations:

-Pants lengthened and cuffed
-Jacket waist brought in
-Jacket sleeves lengthened by about half an inch
-Pant waist brought in 1.5 inches.
-Pant leg width narrowed.

If you bought the suit new, some stores will do the alterations for you. They might not be the best at their job but it'll be okay. My old coworker bought his suits at JAB or MW (cant remember) and they had his pant legs at 2 different lengths or something of that sort. He realized when he took his suit home and showed it to his mom he had to scramble to get it back fixed before his first interview. I told him that I'd offered to go with him ahha.
Cool. Can you tell me how to determine if the seat of the pants are okay? Like my pants need to be worn really high up. That means that the seat should be raised right?

Cool. Can you tell me how to determine if the seat of the pants are okay? Like my pants need to be worn really high up. That means that the seat should be raised right?

The seat needs to be adjusted if they're too tight at the crotch seam. If the fabric is pulling too much and isn't draping right then that's an adjustment that needs to be made. The tailor will let you know this though.

The measurement you're thinking of is the rise. Higher rise trousers are fine. I mean, your jacket is going to be buttoned when you're standing anyway, so no one is going to know where the pant waist is.

Higher rise pants tend to have a waist near your natural waist, i.e. near your belly button. Low rise pants tend to be close to your hips, i.e. many jeans. This comes down to personal preference, but my preference is for right about the middle. I lift and my thighs are a bit big, so higher rise pants tend to drape a bit funny since my waist is small relative to the rest of me. I'm about a drop 8-12 depending on the cut of the jacket and pants, the high side is for natural waist. I wear size 30 waisted 'skinny' jeans sometimes which fit fine, but for some jeans I wear a 34 because I like the drape better even though they're big in the waist.

I'm interested in menswear, which is why I know all of this. You don't have to worry about it. Just go to a good tailor and tell them that you just bought this suit and you want to look the best you can possibly look in it and you want to have it altered. Ask what they'd suggest.

The seat needs to be adjusted if they're too tight at the crotch seam. If the fabric is pulling too much and isn't draping right then that's an adjustment that needs to be made. The tailor will let you know this though.

The measurement you're thinking of is the rise. Higher rise trousers are fine. I mean, your jacket is going to be buttoned when you're standing anyway, so no one is going to know where the pant waist is.

Higher rise pants tend to have a waist near your natural waist, i.e. near your belly button. Low rise pants tend to be close to your hips, i.e. many jeans. This comes down to personal preference, but my preference is for right about the middle. I lift and my thighs are a bit big, so higher rise pants tend to drape a bit funny since my waist is small relative to the rest of me. I'm about a drop 8-12 depending on the cut of the jacket and pants, the high side is for natural waist. I wear size 30 waisted 'skinny' jeans sometimes which fit fine, but for some jeans I wear a 34 because I like the drape better even though they're big in the waist.

I'm interested in menswear, which is why I know all of this. You don't have to worry about it. Just go to a good tailor and tell them that you just bought this suit and you want to look the best you can possibly look in it and you want to have it altered. Ask what they'd suggest.
Haha, yeah you do know a lot. Thanks man! Really helpful tips.

Also, should I be wearing the pants and all that when I go to the tailor? Or will I just change into them in a fitting room whilst there.

Take the entire suit with you as well as the shoes you want to wear since that helps to figure out pant break.

They'll at least have a curtain to change behind.

Last edited:
Take the entire suit with you as well as the shoes you want to wear since that helps to figure out pant break.

They'll already have a curtain to change behind.

And you'll want to be able to leave the entire suite with the tailor also -- so yeah, wear other pants. :p

I also just saw some navy and grey/charcoal jacket and pant combo's on jack threads that looked okay. Not sure what the quality is like, but they're cheap and seem to fill the basic criteria.

Lol.

Super designations are overrated. The 'finer' the material, the less wear it can take. I.e. it won't last as long.

For those who interviewed in previous cycles, is it wise to bring a leather portfolio? Or is that unnecessary?

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_481089

Hey guys, this is the suit I have. Its charcoal, with very subtle brown pinstripes. Any problems with wearing this?

That'll work. Sounded horrible in words, but looks nice in the picture. The tie it's shown with is nice too, if you can find something like it. A 'garden variety brown' tie wouldn't be great, though, so if you can't find something fabulous with brown in it, go for gold or yellow.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_rOS4cQ3Z-Q/TnAhUAfpmOI/AAAAAAAABnY/q-ndwjE4Gaw/s1600/46497_0026568.jpg

Is this tie a good color? Charcoal suit and white shirt is what I am planning. Very similar to the picture I guess.
Any thoughts/suggestion on shoes?

That tie is borderline boring, but not over the line. You want something a little bit lively, so no darker on the blue if you go with a blue tie. Burgundy would liven up a gray suit a bit better --

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_481089

Hey guys, this is the suit I have. Its charcoal, with very subtle brown pinstripes. Any problems with wearing this?

Not my favorite, but it'll work.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_rOS4cQ3Z-Q/TnAhUAfpmOI/AAAAAAAABnY/q-ndwjE4Gaw/s1600/46497_0026568.jpg

Is this tie a good color? Charcoal suit and white shirt is what I am planning. Very similar to the picture I guess.
Any thoughts/suggestion on shoes?

I wouldn't wear that tie. I usually shy away from shiny/satin finishes and lighter colors.

So much great advice on this thread. I have tried to follow it in picking a suit (charcoal), but I am still a bit clueless on ties.

I have this tie already, any thoughts? It would probably be with a white shirt.

white-stripe-silk-tie-purple.jpg

Man, this tie stuff is confusing. Anyone want to share a link to a tie I can buy online? Charcoal suit and white shirt!

So much great advice on this thread. I have tried to follow it in picking a suit (charcoal), but I am still a bit clueless on ties.

I have this tie already, any thoughts? It would probably be with a white shirt.

white-stripe-silk-tie-purple.jpg

I think that's fine, but it's too flashy for my tastes for an interview. If it was a light blue I'd prefer it because that's a pretty stellar repp tie scheme. Purple comes off as a bit flashy imho. I'm very conservative when it comes to interviews and this will likely be fine.

Man, this tie stuff is confusing. Anyone want to share a link to a tie I can buy online? Charcoal suit and white shirt!

I like this, esp for the price (the burgundy):

http://www.thetiebar.com/product/13...mAg3nYCg83ruYRVtPzlaJ1h_J6S-Xq7hN4aAus78P8HAQ

A repp tie (diagnoal stripe) with burgundy or light blue would work well too.

Seriousy, if you lot are looking for ties, tie bar has decent stuff for relatively cheap.

Make sure you practice tying a knot. Do not use a double windsor...

I think that's fine, but it's too flashy for my tastes for an interview. If it was a light blue I'd prefer it because that's a pretty stellar repp tie scheme. Purple comes off as a bit flashy imho. I'm very conservative when it comes to interviews and this will likely be fine.

http://www.thetiebar.com/product/13...mAg3nYCg83ruYRVtPzlaJ1h_J6S-Xq7hN4aAus78P8HAQ

Seriousy, if you lot are looking for ties, tie bar has decent stuff for relatively cheap.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also, the knots on those first two pictures are either four in hands or double four in hands. Don't tie a double windsor. Either tie a four in hand, double four in hand, pratt, or half windsor. The former two are preferable. Full windsors are for old people.

Your tie should also be about the same width as the lapels. Otherwise it can look off. I'm not talking about mm of minutia, but if you have a suit with skinny/slim lapels and you're wearing a wide-ass tie, it's going to look ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users

RTC, you are a great help. I am taking what you say as gospel.

Pocket squares!! Love them.

Wouldn't do it for an interview though. Too ostentatious.

A white one in a TV fold, perhaps, but otherwise no. Especially if you aren't used to wearing them. I wear one at work almost every time I wear a jacket or jacket/tie (wearing one now with just a jacket). You have to get used to it because people notice and call you out for it. It's honestly not something I'd experiment with on interview day.

For interview ties, you want to go with a traditional color (burgundy, navy, etc) in a traditional scheme (repp/stripe, solid, grenadine, etc.). Most ties are fine, but if you are buying something, it makes the most sense to buy something with a bit of textural interest because it ties the outfit together (PUN!). Visual interest is best done with things that don't jump out at you, i.e. a light herringbone, a grenadine/weave/knit. Like I said before, shiny things are bad. They look cheap. Applies to suits/ties/etc.

The tiebar site seems to have a lot of ties at a reasonable price. Ebay has a lot of good stuff if you know what to look for (Brooks brothers ties go for 10-15 bucks used).

While I love wearing them, I steer clear of paisleys and bold patterns for interview ties. As I've said before, the point of dressing for interviews is to look well put together without having anything that jumps out at someone. You want your experience and words to do the talking, not your clothes. I am confident that if you spend the time to get a well fitting suit and have it altered by a competent tailor, then you will already be in the best quarter of men interviewing. Provided you make a reasonable tie and shoe choice.

It really isn't that complicated, but if you see something and are like WOW THAT LOOKS INTERESTING, it's probably not the right tie or shoe or even suit for the job.

I love windowpane suits, gun club check, Prince of wales overchecks etc etc. I have sportcoats with all those things and will probably buy a suit with them when I need to have more of a suit rotation, which will probably only need to happen by fellowship. They look great, but are attention getting, which is the opposite of what you want. I like nice clothes and suits and ties, etc etc etc. but interview attires is an entirely different ball game.

Wouldn't do it for an interview though. Too ostentatious.

A white one in a TV fold, perhaps, but otherwise no. Especially if you aren't used to wearing them. I wear one at work almost every time I wear a jacket or jacket/tie (wearing one now with just a jacket). You have to get used to it because people notice and call you out for it. It's honestly not something I'd experiment with on interview day.

Hmmm…didn't realize people would "call you out" on that. I suppose some without style would do that but you're probably right about not being too out there on a medical interview.

Hmmm…didn't realize people would "call you out" on that. I suppose some without style would do that but you're probably right about not being too out there on a medical interview.

I've become known as the 'pocket square guy' at work. I freaking wore an ascot one day and one of the attendings still talks about it haha.

White squares in a TV fold are considered CBD (conservative business dress-think conservative law firms), so they're not out of place for an interview, but do draw more attention to the wearer. I think most of my recs actually fall close to the CBD line of thought. I think it's conservative in a way that makes sense for interviews of this nature.

I think you can definitely have more leeway in residency and fellowship interviews, especially depending on the specialty.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/sienna-blue-bird's-eye/P2445I.html?start=2&cgid=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-Sienna

Thoughts? Either this or a slightly darker tint is what I'm considering although I'm afraid any darker will look black.

That's a beautiful suit. Birds eye is a bit less formal, but I think this should be fine. Be warned that they cut their trousers pretty short so you might have to make sure you have enough break such that your socks aren't showing when you're standing straight up.

I really like suit supply. They have some cheaper stuff that works too if that price tag is too steep for ya.

Charles Tyrwitt recently had some really nice shoes on sale for like 350 as well.

Seems like a lot of good advice in this thread. I am not sure if what I'm planning on wearing is awful or not so here are pictures:

Did I take to much of a risk with this shirt and tie? It's a black suit, light blue shirt. (needs to be dry-cleaned)
IMG_20140830_164511762_HDR.jpg

Watch:
IMG_20140830_164842348_HDR.jpg

Shoes: Think I can get away with no laces? They still seem professional to me but then again I'm no expert.
IMG_20140830_165010671.jpg

It looks like your shirt is striped. I generally will not do a striped tie with a striped shirt. One solid, one stripe, one pattern.
It works for decorating as well.
The watch and the shoes are fine. I'm sure the GQ readers will disagree, about the shoes at least.

Seems like a lot of good advice in this thread. I am not sure if what I'm planning on wearing is awful or not so here are pictures:

Did I take to much of a risk with this shirt and tie? It's a black suit, light blue shirt. (needs to be dry-cleaned)
View attachment 185056

Watch:
View attachment 185057

Shoes: Think I can get away with no laces? They still seem professional to me but then again I'm no expert.
View attachment 185058

The shoes are definitely awful and should go. Burn them if you can.

Has nothing to do with being "GQ." They're bad, period. And to add insult to injury, they're certainly not formal enough for an interview.

Agree with getting a solid shirt, rather than stripes.

Reactions: 3 users
What do you guys think of this outfit: charcoal wool suit, white shirt, black lace up shoes, gray silk pocket square, and this tie: http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-c...kleinred-brown-andwhitestripenarrowtie-8F0935
Way too much going on with that tie to use for an interview.
View attachment 185058
No. Slip on shoes are not formal enough for an interview.