Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@nih15hopeful As an addendum, they last forever only if you take care of them properly of course. Also, check out the Allen Edmonds shoe bank. You can occasionally get seconds for pretty cheap compared to MSRP.

I ended up ordering a few different pairs for him to try on, but that shoe bank website looks like a great resource for anyone wanting nice shoes, especially on a budget! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, is a suit mandatory? My buddy is planning on going to his "safety" interview a nice sweater/khakis, dress shirt and tie underneath, dress shoes. Sweater is a navy blue, but this is basically him lol:

v-neck-sweater-denim-shirt-chinos-high-top-sneakers-tie-original-7293.jpg

I've read most of this thread, and have a couple questions.

First, here are the suits I have:
6AWbgIC.jpg
From reading the thread, I understand that peak lapels are a no-no for interviews (so I'm not going to wear the dark gray/light charcoal suit), but in what other circumstances could I wear it?
The charcoal suit is fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
100% agree with my colleague.

It's a interview at med school! We take professionalism seriously. Sometimes the practice of Medicine is like acting...you go into character.

But a funeral black suit can be dispensed with.

Yes, a suit is mandatory. Dressing like a hipster douche is a quick way to turn a "safety" into a reject.

Out of curiosity, is a suit mandatory? My buddy is planning on going to his "safety" interview a nice sweater/khakis, dress shirt and tie underneath, dress shoes. Sweater is a navy blue, but this is basically him lol:

This describes my typical outfit when I worked at a biotech firm with a very lax dress code. Definitely not formal enough for a med school interview. Also, he would stick out in a very bad way as everyone else will be wearing suits.

These are the ties I have. Are any of these wearable (that red tie isn't THAT red in person) for an interview? Suggestions are welcome!

Nice job on the shoes!
This will sound mean, but donate those ties to Goodwill (except for the black one).
Go to thetiebar.com. Buy a few simple ties in conservative (navy, burgandy etc) colors

Thinking about getting this charcoal suit. Blue or white dress shirt? I have some ties but not too sure what would go well with this yet. What do you guys think?
upload_2015-8-5_18-55-50.png

upload_2015-8-5_18-56-10.png

I don't know what the question is but the answer is light blue shirt.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

v-neck-sweater-denim-shirt-chinos-high-top-sneakers-tie-original-7293.jpg

What is this outfit?! Plz tell him not to do it

Reactions: 1 users
I really like this one. What do you think? Also, would a white shirt and blue tie work with this? If so, should the tie be solid or striped?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 9.36.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 9.36.02 AM.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 91
I really like this one. What do you think? Also, would a white shirt and blue tie work with this? If so, should the tie be solid or striped?

Suit color seems fine! A white shirt and blue tie would definitely work. As for patterns, I usually go by the rule of 1/3. One out of three items (suit *rarely*, shirt, tie) has a pattern to help break up the relative monotony of three solids. 2/3 patterns is really too fashion forward, and 3/3 is waaaaay too extravagant. The guy in the picture has 1/3, but I prefer a closer fit for my suits and for the purposes of a med school interview would avoid a pocket square (even though they're awesome and many suits are made better with that addition).

What do you guys think about broguing. Too casual?

What do you guys think about broguing. Too casual?

I think its fine, its an interview, not a wedding. They won't pick on whether you wear a blutcher or an oxford, broguing or plain. Its not like most students have allen edmonds

How obsessive pre-meds get about their interview attire never ceases to amaze or amuse me. Just make sure what you wear is professional, fits you properly, and isn't too flashy or gaudy. Beyond that, how you're perceived by the school/interview will depend on the individual's tastes. I know I'm going to take flack for saying this, but even a black suit can be pulled off if you know what you're doing. The bottom line is that looking good/professional isn't going to get you accepted, but looking unprofessional or gaudy can certainly get you rejected.

what about long hair?

It's tougher for guys to look professional this way, but as long as it's styled properly I've seen people pull it off. Here's a few examples I'd consider professional hair (ignore the beards/scruff). Adcoms can give their opinions if they'd like.

upload_2015-8-12_17-24-8.png

upload_2015-8-12_17-24-55.png

upload_2015-8-12_17-26-13.png

How obsessive pre-meds get about their interview attire never ceases to amaze or amuse me. Just make sure what you wear is professional, fits you properly, and isn't too flashy or gaudy. Beyond that, how you're perceived by the school/interview will depend on the individual's tastes. I know I'm going to take flack for saying this, but even a black suit can be pulled off if you know what you're doing. The bottom line is that looking good/professional isn't going to get you accepted, but looking unprofessional or gaudy can certainly get you rejected.

It's tougher for guys to look professional this way, but as long as it's styled properly I've seen people pull it off. Here's a few examples I'd consider professional hair (ignore the beards/scruff). Adcoms can give their opinions if they'd like.

View attachment 195000

View attachment 195001

View attachment 195002
Adcoms will wonder if the applicant meant to walk on a runway instead haha. No but that's great looks, thanks! His is a bit longer still so maybe man-bun it is...

View attachment 195000

View attachment 195001

View attachment 195002
I agree with everything up to the photos.
Just cut it for interview season!
A man-bun is acceptable for really long hair (at least on the west coast).
No scruff, ever (as noted).

A man-bun is acceptable for really long hair (at least on the west coast)
I'll hack it off in his sleep don't worry
jk, thanks for your advice!

A man-bun is acceptable for really long hair (at least on the west coast).

Idk how the man-bun would be viewed in the midwest/out east. Most of the long(ish) hair I saw at interviews was either slicked back or along the lines of JFK, although that's not really all that long.

Not too professional imo. Never seen a physician with that hairdo

First, here are the suits I have:
6AWbgIC.jpg
From reading the thread, I understand that peak lapels are a no-no for interviews (so I'm not going to wear the dark gray/light charcoal suit), but in what other circumstances could I wear it?
Also, the dark navy (bleh, it almost looks black - and didn't look like this when I bought it :p) suit has micro stripes. Would this be passable at an interview?

Here's some of the other things I'll be wearing:
Shirts
NgNTHNq.jpg

Shoes
EdQNV1y.jpg

Belt
OJSpuis.png

Ties
xlvFPGP.jpg

These are the ties I have. Are any of these wearable (that red tie isn't THAT red in person) for an interview? Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

P.S. Help me @ridethecliche! You're my only hope!

FWIW, I wore a navy single breasted peak lapel suit + a white pocket square to all of my interviews and I don't think it was an issue. I honestly don't think most places care that much about how you dress as long as you show up in a dark-colored suit that fits relatively well. This was almost 3 years ago but when I was on the interview trail, more than 70% of the guys I was with wore black suits. A decent number of them also had some ridiculous tie and shirt combinations. I also met a guy who wore a 3 piece tuxedo with notch lapels who had been on 10+ interviews in that outfit...

In your case, I think most of the things you have are fine. I'm not an expert on ties but IMHO, the blue one is probably your safest bet if you're wearing a white shirt. Apparently black is not the best color for an interview tie and I'm not sure how well silver/red/yellow works with a white or blue shirt.

Last edited:
Back again (I got an interview!). I'm curious to know the attendings' thoughts on these shoes. They look great IRL but I'm not sure if the "glossiness" of the shoes will be inappropriate for an interview setting. They're almost like tuxedo shoes but not quite that level of gloss. Anyway, I could always tone it down to my normal non-glossy brown dress shoes, but frankly these just look a lot better in my suit. Would these be inappropriate for an interview context? Advice is appreciated!

81biT6At70L._UX695_.jpg

FWIW, I wore a navy single breasted peak lapel suit + a white pocket square to all of my interviews and I don't think it was an issue. I honestly don't think most places care that much about how you dress as long as you show up in a dark-colored suit that fits relatively well. This was almost 3 years ago but when I was on the interview trail, more than 70% of the guys I was with wore black suits. A decent number of them also had some ridiculous tie and shirt combinations. I also met a guy who wore a 3 piece tuxedo with notch lapels who had been on 10+ interviews in that outfit...

In your case, I think most of the things you have are fine. I'm not an expert on ties but IMHO, the blue one is probably your safest bet if you're wearing a white shirt. Apparently black is not the best color for an interview tie and I'm not sure how well silver/red/yellow works with a white or blue shirt.
Yea my bf also has a black suit..hope it's not an app killer

What's the consensus on the cut and fit of the suit? I have two, one charcoal and one navy, both a slimmer, ludlow-style cut (https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/TheSuitShop/PRDOVR~A0536/99103268205/A0536.jsp). In fact the navy one is the suit linked. That's not too slim, right? I'm worried perhaps a more traditional fit is in order, but I don't have a more generously cut suit.
Peripherally related but what's the white thing under his tie/hanging out below the jacket in the first picture?

Its pretty slim but the Ludlow trousers worry me more; just make sure they're a tad looser than the models wear them.

View attachment 195000

View attachment 195001

View attachment 195002
LOL...I'm reading this thread and even before I got to her post, I said to myself, "Yep I agree with that..." "whoa! Not now seeing those photos!" @gyngyn and I had the same thoughts.

1) Pre-meds get obsessive about their attire because its someone one can control;
2) They (and I have my doubts about you now ;) ) often have no idea what's professional. If they did, we wouldn't get posts like the one above asking if its ok to wear a sweater and trousers to the interview. Even Mr. Rogers probably wore a suit for his interview at PBS.
3) They have no idea what fits and what's flashy or gaudy. The women's interview thread is 10 times worse than this one so the guys have one up on them in this department.
4) Black is fine; no one is going to be dinged for it. However if you're going to ask what's appropriate we'll tell you that the dark navy or charcoal suit with the cordovan or black shoes is the winner.

But that hair... smh. Not professional.

LOL...I'm reading this thread and even before I got to her post, I said to myself, "Yep I agree with that..." "whoa! Not now seeing those photos!" @gyngyn and I had the same thoughts.

1) Pre-meds get obsessive about their attire because its someone one can control;
2) They (and I have my doubts about you now ;) ) often have no idea what's professional. If they did, we wouldn't get posts like the one above asking if its ok to wear a sweater and trousers to the interview. Even Mr. Rogers probably wore a suit for his interview at PBS.
3) They have no idea what fits and what's flashy or gaudy. The women's interview thread is 10 times worse than this one so the guys have one up on them in this department.
4) Black is fine; no one is going to be dinged for it. However if you're going to ask what's appropriate we'll tell you that the dark navy or charcoal suit with the cordovan or black shoes is the winner.

But that hair... smh. Not professional.

1. Understandable, but I still find the degree of it amusing.
2. Honestly, if they're a senior in college and they haven't figured out what professional dress is, I'd say there's a problem there. I get asking about the finer details, like 'is this tie too flashy'. You've gotta admit though that it's kind of ridiculous that any guy would need to ask if a sweater is appropriate interview attire...
3. This I can see, but a tailor would be able to answer those questions far better than someone online unless they sent pictures of themselves in the suit. I'm also A LOT more forgiving of girls asking a lot of questions about dress than guys. Girls have waaaaay more options, which when it comes to something like a med school interview isn't necessarily a good thing.
4. Agree. I wore black because I look weird in most gray and I'm not a fan of navy blue suits for very formal/professional occasions (at least not on myself). I just don't like that some people on here seem to think that wearing a black suit is the end of the world for an interviewee.

Also, I'm not saying I'd wear my hair like that, or would recommend it. Just saying that I've seen people be very successful in interviews with hairstyles like that.

Back again (I got an interview!). I'm curious to know the attendings' thoughts on these shoes. They look great IRL but I'm not sure if the "glossiness" of the shoes will be inappropriate for an interview setting. They're almost like tuxedo shoes but not quite that level of gloss. Anyway, I could always tone it down to my normal non-glossy brown dress shoes, but frankly these just look a lot better in my suit. Would these be inappropriate for an interview context? Advice is appreciated!

81biT6At70L._UX695_.jpg

I'm no adcom, but that's a beautiful shoe. Also, well-polished shoes are a big plus from everything I've heard so long as they match the suit you're wearing. Once again, an adcom can comment if I'm off here.