-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)
Started by JoJustGotHisScores
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
9
907914
Shave the morning of and bring a small razor with you if your skin can handle a dry shave.@gyngyn since you're kinda notorious for laying down the hammer on people for not shaving, is a little bit of stubble (>1 mm) ok? My hair grows fast. It's somewhat noticeable because I have black hair and light tan skin.
Neurotic-self checking in...
Just finished reading through the entire thread and am looking for tie and shoe options. I already bought my suits; I ended up getting two, charcoal and navy/dark blue.
I have a cheap pair of Calvin Klein black oxfords that I don't mind pairing with the charcoal suit. Definitely getting some brown oxfords to go with the navy suit, but unsure where to look. I know many have vouched for shoes made by Allen Edmonds since they last a while, but they're a little out of my price range. Also, am I looking for a walnut shade?
Thinking about burgundy ties like Burgundy Grenafaux to pair with the navy and charcoal suits. I also want to get a lavender option, but most of them are narrow (2.5 inches wide). Any issues with this or should I just go solid burgundy and solid lavender like these Solid ties.



These were before I got the suits fitted (pants for both, jacket for the navy).
Just finished reading through the entire thread and am looking for tie and shoe options. I already bought my suits; I ended up getting two, charcoal and navy/dark blue.
I have a cheap pair of Calvin Klein black oxfords that I don't mind pairing with the charcoal suit. Definitely getting some brown oxfords to go with the navy suit, but unsure where to look. I know many have vouched for shoes made by Allen Edmonds since they last a while, but they're a little out of my price range. Also, am I looking for a walnut shade?
Thinking about burgundy ties like Burgundy Grenafaux to pair with the navy and charcoal suits. I also want to get a lavender option, but most of them are narrow (2.5 inches wide). Any issues with this or should I just go solid burgundy and solid lavender like these Solid ties.



These were before I got the suits fitted (pants for both, jacket for the navy).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Neurotic-self checking in...
Just finished reading through the entire thread and am looking for tie and shoe options. I already bought my suits; I ended up getting two, charcoal and navy/dark blue.
I have a cheap pair of Calvin Klein black oxfords that I don't mind pairing with the charcoal suit. Definitely getting some brown oxfords to go with the navy suit, but unsure where to look. I know many have vouched for shoes made by Allen Edmonds since they last a while, but they're a little out of my price range. Also, am I looking for a walnut shade?
Thinking about burgundy ties like Burgundy Grenafaux to pair with the navy and charcoal suits. I also want to get a lavender option, but most of them are narrow (2.5 inches wide). Any issues with this or should I just go solid burgundy and solid lavender like these Solid ties.
View attachment 277708View attachment 277709View attachment 277710
These were before I got the suits fitted (pants for both, jacket for the navy).
Why buy brown shoes & belt when the black work for both? (Seriously. Brown with navy is a new thing and many err on the 'too light brown' side.)
Also voting for the burgundy over the lavender -- a very classic choice.
Neurotic-self checking in...
Just finished reading through the entire thread and am looking for tie and shoe options. I already bought my suits; I ended up getting two, charcoal and navy/dark blue.
I have a cheap pair of Calvin Klein black oxfords that I don't mind pairing with the charcoal suit. Definitely getting some brown oxfords to go with the navy suit, but unsure where to look. I know many have vouched for shoes made by Allen Edmonds since they last a while, but they're a little out of my price range. Also, am I looking for a walnut shade?
Thinking about burgundy ties like Burgundy Grenafaux to pair with the navy and charcoal suits. I also want to get a lavender option, but most of them are narrow (2.5 inches wide). Any issues with this or should I just go solid burgundy and solid lavender like these Solid ties.
View attachment 277708View attachment 277709View attachment 277710
These were before I got the suits fitted (pants for both, jacket for the navy).
Is that middle picture your suit or Donald Trump’s?
Is that middle picture your suit or Donald Trump’s?
Let him drip
Why buy brown shoes & belt when the black work for both? (Seriously. Brown with navy is a new thing and many err on the 'too light brown' side.)
Also voting for the burgundy over the lavender -- a very classic choice.
Thank you! Will just wear my black shoes then 🙂 Saving money is the way to go.
Is that middle picture your suit or Donald Trump’s?
Mine, got it taken in, so it's not so large on me. 46R with 36/38 waist problems...
It's a Brooks Brother 1818 Regent I got on sale recently for under $400 shipped, came with the USA pin.
The kind that grows within a day is understandable.@gyngyn since you're kinda notorious for laying down the hammer on people for not shaving, is a little bit of stubble (>1 mm) ok? My hair grows fast. It's somewhat noticeable because I have black hair and light tan skin.
It's intentional scruff that strikes some as disrespectful.
My turn for the neuroticism. Is a dark purple unpatterned/subtly patterned tie okay? I plan to be wearing a very dark navy suit.
@gyngyn since you're kinda notorious for laying down the hammer on people for not shaving, is a little bit of stubble (>1 mm) ok? My hair grows fast. It's somewhat noticeable because I have black hair and light tan skin.
Shave the morning of and bring a small razor with you if your skin can handle a dry shave.
Interested in knowing how this is viewed for those with bald heads? Is a well-groomed short beard acceptable to add some contrast to an otherwise washed out face?
9
907914
Gyngyn will tell you to always shaveInterested in knowing how this is viewed for those with bald heads? Is a well-groomed short beard acceptable to add some contrast to an otherwise washed out face?
Edit: It is up to you if you want the beard or not. Testimonials suggest it is fine. ADCOMs suggest it is not.
Last edited by a moderator:
9
907914
I would say it is too bright. Might make a good combo with a Navy suit if you want to be tacky to a UMich interview. Other than that, would go with a darker tie.View attachment 278677I have a yellow tie with similar light blue shirt and dark navy suit. Is this tie appropriate or too bright?
Don't wear a light colored tie (or a button down collar).View attachment 278677I have a yellow tie with similar light blue shirt and dark navy suit. Is this tie appropriate or too bright?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
Beyond the man/Roman emperor with a floral crown shouting to the heavens? Yes, it is overboard.Is this too overboard of a pattern?
Am I the only one who sees the face...?
Attachments
You don’t want to be fondly remembered as the guy that looked like he borrowed is little brother’s suit.Seriously?
How much of an impact does what you were make as long as you look presentable with professional colors?
Like is anyone gonna really be like, sleeves too long, here’s an R? I’m actually curious....
Imo, he looks fine but what do I know.
Deal breaker, probably not, but overly fashion forward isn’t the best message to send. Conservative is king in medicine.
Though when I took my oral boards, I was the only one not in a suit and tie. Still passed, and better dressed than 99% of those in attendance.
It’s Jesus and his crown of thorns!Beyond the man/Roman emperor with a floral crown shouting to the heavens? Yes, it is overboard.
Am I the only one who sees the face...?
The pineapple tie would be better.
Oh my.
Is this too overboard of a pattern?
Go with the pineapple ones on the left
what do you guys think of a navy suit, blue dress shirt, and brown/shoes belt? not sure if I should go brown or black. With a white dress, definitely brown, but im not sure with a blue dress lol
Pics!what do you guys think of a navy suit, blue dress shirt, and brown/shoes belt? not sure if I should go brown or black. With a white dress, definitely brown, but im not sure with a blue dress lol
This is a good "date night" tie.
This is a good "date night" tie.
I was told you’re supposed to seduce your interviewer like you would a hot date.
You were misled.I was told you’re supposed to seduce your interviewer like you would a hot date.
9
907914
Just walk in to your interviewer with extraordinarily tight pants and a sock in the crotch. GBGH.I was told you’re supposed to seduce your interviewer like you would a hot date.
For real though, I would choose a tie with a darker base.
9
907914
What color suit?
What color suit?
Black suit white shirt
9
907914
I think that would jive well.Black suit white shirt
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Either shoe color is fine with a navy suit. Dark brown is more formal than light.what do you guys think of a navy suit, blue dress shirt, and brown/shoes belt? not sure if I should go brown or black. With a white dress, definitely brown, but im not sure with a blue dress lol
Shirt should be very light blue, though (no button down collar!)
D
deleted972488
Yes
As long as it's not shiny, it's fine. Ditch the pocket square.Would this be a conservative enough suit color to wear?
View attachment 285907
I think the tie is fine, but I’ve always had flamboyant ties. The button down collar is a no go however. Get yourself a proper shirt. You can find them on sale at TJMax, etc.Don't wear a light colored tie (or a button down collar).
Most planes have a closet that they’ll let you hang it inAll set on the clothes - bought. The question is how do we get the suit on the plane as a carry on, without getting it crushed and wrinkled?
Usually have to fly first class to use the closet. I tried this once on American and flight attendant would not hang it up and was unpleasant about it to boot. However, I'm sure there are compassionate flight attendants out there, it never hurts to ask. Be prepared for to tell a sob story about your med school interview, etc.. Still might strike out. Good luck and best wishes!Most planes have a closet that they’ll let you hang it in
All set on the clothes - bought. The question is how do we get the suit on the plane as a carry on, without getting it crushed and wrinkled?
Folding it properly makes a big difference
Also, you can get a portable steamer on amazon that will fit in a backpack/carry on for $15-30
Yeah it depends on the flight. I’ve flown economy w Alaska, United, and either delta or american and was able to hang each timeUsually have to fly first class to use the closet. I tried this once on American and flight attendant would not hang it up and was unpleasant about it to boot. However, I'm sure there are compassionate flight attendants out there, it never hurts to ask. Be prepared for to tell a sob story about your med school interview, etc.. Still might strike out. Good luck and best wishes!
Heads up that southwest doesn’t have a closet at all (bc there is no first class). When I’ve flown on other airlines they’ve usually asked me if I wanted to hang my garnet bag before I even had to ask anyone.Most planes have a closet that they’ll let you hang it in
Usually have to fly first class to use the closet. I tried this once on American and flight attendant would not hang it up and was unpleasant about it to boot. However, I'm sure there are compassionate flight attendants out there, it never hurts to ask. Be prepared for to tell a sob story about your med school interview, etc.. Still might strike out. Good luck and best wishes!
I did not get that with American. They helped hang and just told me to remind them. Maybe it was united.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No, it was American. United is not the friendly sky company for sure. I use American as it is the easiest route to fla from our home airport. It is dependent on the flight attendant I'm sure. Just wasnt my dayI did not get that with American. They helped hang and just told me to remind them. Maybe it was united.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Not medical school interviews.Can this tie be worn for interviews. Asking for a friend
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted952648
Hi @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro
Would this tie be acceptable for interviews? Paired with a dark navy suit and white shirt.
Kingsley Floral Red Tie
Also, what are your thoughts on this teal colored tie?
Astute Solid Green Teal Tie
Thank you.
Would this tie be acceptable for interviews? Paired with a dark navy suit and white shirt.
Kingsley Floral Red Tie
Also, what are your thoughts on this teal colored tie?
Astute Solid Green Teal Tie
Thank you.
Which one do you like? That's what counts. I don't pay attention to clothing of interviewees.Hi @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro
Would this tie be acceptable for interviews? Paired with a dark navy suit and white shirt.
Kingsley Floral Red Tie
Also, what are your thoughts on this teal colored tie?
Astute Solid Green Teal Tie
Thank you.
Pretty much they're all the same, they look like they're going to a funeral
I like both. Flip a coin.