Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two questions. This may have been answered earlier, but this is a really long thread...
  1. Thoughts on cognac colored dress shoes with a dark grey suit View attachment 274475 (matching belt obviously)
  2. Better to fold suit and put it in a carry on bag or wear the suit?
Do not wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit.
Black or cordovan would be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit.
Black or cordovan would be fine.

So like this getup is a no go?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do people think about burgendy brown wingtip shoes. I typically wear them with a navy blue suit

Reactions: 1 users
Jacket is too tight, sleeves and slacks 2 in too short. Looks like he cant breath, and is wearing his little brother's suit. Other than that, its nice

Well google photos isn’t completely customizable... I did the best I could

Reactions: 1 user
Darker charcoal works better with black shoes, if it is a lighter grey, then brown works well. The sleeve length looks fine in that pic (maybe 1/2" too short, hard to tell), the button is stressed though. The pants are definitely too short for a professional situation.

Burgundy shoes can look great with the right suit. I would recommend less brogue though.

Is this a good hairstyle? Never used product. This has just a little bit of product in it.

Attachments

• 7813A340-F6C3-4F1F-8239-F9A4199B201A.jpeg
    7813A340-F6C3-4F1F-8239-F9A4199B201A.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 4F0B6763-4B9D-411D-B7EF-D116E15E943C.jpeg
    4F0B6763-4B9D-411D-B7EF-D116E15E943C.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 129
Done it before. Look like a meth user without the beard, look like a serial killer from Oregon with the beard. That’s a naw from me dawg.

But for real, is the hairstyle OK?

Haha yeah it’s great. The goal with your hair is to make it look put together without looking like a teenager. It looks professional and I would not be concerned if my doctor had that hairdo (my wife is a cosmetologist, so I have a little street cred in this department)

Does anyone have any recommendation on how to pack a suit? Trying to avoid wrinkles

Members don't see this ad :)
In my humble opinion, some of the very nicest neckties (and certainly among the safest) are done in a solid color silk with a woven texture. The official name for this style is 'grenadine' -- but the real grenadines are expensive. Very conservative, very upscale. The color should be rich but not bright, and should enhance your skin tones. It should complement not match (yawn) your suit. Sheen is good but shine is not.

If you know what to look for, you can find them everywhere. Suggest Loehmanns, Jos Banks or even Men's Wearhouse. NO need to spend >$50 until you've got the funds to do so easily.

I found the best examples on Amazon by searching for 'Grenafaux' (so grenadine-look ties).

Suit: good.
Shirt: good if not button down.
Both ties are too light in color.
Oxfords are an excellent choice but brown is not worn with a dark grey suit...
What is wrong with button up shirts?

Covered up some tags, but any thoughts? @Goro @gyngyn And would black shoes with black socks work for both?
as long as you don't look like you're going to a funeral, I really don't care. An hour admissions committee meetings For almost two decades, the attire of interviewees has never been brought up.

Covered up some tags, but any thoughts? @Goro @gyngyn And would black shoes with black socks work for both?
Black shoes/belt and socks work with both. They are both reading a bit light, but as long as they are both darker irl they look fine.
The tie is too light in color.
There should be contrast between the shirt (white is always good) and the suit and tie (both dark).

wait so are oxford shirts too casual then? im seeing mixed opinions on this. i was planning on wearing a light blue oxford formal shirt with my tie.

wait so are oxford shirts too casual then? im seeing mixed opinions on this. i was planning on wearing a light blue oxford formal shirt with my tie.
Oxford is the type of cloth. If white or pale blue, the cloth is fine. A button down collar makes a shirt more casual and would not be considered business professional.

Oxford is the type of cloth. If white or pale blue, the cloth is fine. A button down collar makes a shirt more casual and would not be considered business professional.
63765E34-F5D8-42B6-94E0-32B31CF50C61.jpeg

This is a button-down collar, guys, the too-casual look.
Your shirt collar should be straight and have the little metal or plastic things in the back (collar stays).
Wysdoc, who has 3 sons and a fashionable husband, surviving in a sea of testosterone

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

ah i always thought oxford referred to button down collars, not the fabric. learn something new every day :confused:

Darker charcoal works better with black shoes, if it is a lighter grey, then brown works well. The sleeve length looks fine in that pic (maybe 1/2" too short, hard to tell), the button is stressed though. The pants are definitely too short for a professional situation.

Burgundy shoes can look great with the right suit. I would recommend less brogue though.
How much brogue is too much brogue?

Difficult to say. It becomes a judgements call,and many people may not notice. Different thickness, quality, and color of the leather can change how much the brogue stands out. Also the size of the brogue matters. To make a general statement, I would say a single line might be OK, if the toe is covered, it might be excessive. Lots of room for interpretation there, but it is unlikely your shoe would be the reason for not getting an acceptance.

Technically, the plainer the oxford, the more formal.
Thus, a plain leather (not patent!) cap toe oxford would be perfect for business professional.
If everything else is fine, any amount of broguing will be forgiven, though.
Frankly, I'd celebrate if the only thing worth comment was excessive broguing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How are these shoes with a Navy suit? (In the picture, the brown looks a bit lighter than it actually is because of the lighting)

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 103
How are these shoes with a Navy suit? (In the picture, the brown looks a bit lighter than it actually is because of the lighting)
These look almost identical to the shoes I got with my navy suit so lets hope that the answer is yet. Mine might be a bit lighter though!

These look almost identical to the shoes I got with my navy suit so lets hope that the answer is yet. Mine might be a bit lighter though!
Same, near identical to mine (mine are a little shinier). So...yes I will say.

@gyngyn I thought you might appreciate something my buddy just shared from his unit. And here I thought you were strict with facial hair (to anyone out of the loop, ‘300 on the APFT’ means scoring as high as you can on the fitness test)

Also, maybe @Matthew9Thirtyfive and @HomeSkool will find funny.

Attachments

• 041E5725-BEC0-4B3F-AEFD-F049E6622FFC.png
    041E5725-BEC0-4B3F-AEFD-F049E6622FFC.png
    414.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Haha
So I have a good friend who started a tie company a few years ago, and I am wondering if this tie is conservative enough. I feel like it could be a conversation piece without being too crazy or unprofessional. Thoughts? @gyngyn

tie.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a good friend who started a tie company a few years ago, and I am wondering if this tie is conservative enough. I feel like it could be a conversation piece without being too crazy or unprofessional. Thoughts? @gyngyn

View attachment 277339
Not terrible. Make sure your lapels are consistent with the width of the tie.

What’s the general consensus on jacket length w respect to the sleeves of the shirt?

And tie? I heard tie is suppose to be to the belt line?

Jacket is too tight, sleeves and slacks 2 in too short. Looks like he cant breath, and is wearing his little brother's suit. Other than that, its nice
Seriously?
How much of an impact does what you were make as long as you look presentable with professional colors?

Like is anyone gonna really be like, sleeves too long, here’s an R? I’m actually curious....

Imo, he looks fine but what do I know.

Seriously?
How much of an impact does what you were make as long as you look presentable with professional colors?

Like is anyone gonna really be like, sleeves too long, here’s an R? I’m actually curious....

Imo, he looks fine but what do I know.
No. Not seriously. I thought the absurd way I commented would make that clear. Apparently I forgot this was SDN and people are way too serious and not expecting a humorous reply.
If you have followed this lengthy thread you will see a medical school interview is a formal, serious interview with much at stake. Professional dress is expected. Students should take the whole interview process seriously, including their appearance. Sorry if I startled you.

Seriously?
Think of it as a Situational Judgement Test. So, yes, it is serious.
The definition of "presentable" is what we are clarifying in this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
No. Not seriously. I thought the absurd way I commented would make that clear. Apparently I forgot this was SDN and people are way too serious and not expecting a humorous reply.
If you have followed this lengthy thread you will see a medical school interview is a formal, serious interview with much at stake. Professional dress is expected. Students should take the whole interview process seriously, including their appearance. Sorry if I startled you.
Sorry if I came across as not taking this as seriously. I understand formality, but I just thought you were post was just way too formal, but again it was a joke that I didn't understand. Apologies.