Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoJustGotHisScores

Donut
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like a new thread has not been started since 2011 (though people have been posting in the 2011 one), so I figured I'd start one for 2017. Please direct all men's interview attire questions here!

The old threads can be found here (#3), here (#2), and here (#1).

After reading through these, I decided to compile what I learned below. There are exceptions to what I list below, like with anything.

Here is the General consensus:

Suit:
  • Color - Charcoal or dark navy or blue seem to be the general consensus (aka not black). White people tend to not be able to pull grey off as well as other racial groups.
  • Modern fit. Make sure it fits you well. If you are skinny makes sure it is not too loose. If you are larger in build, make sure it is not ultra tight.
  • Buying - try to find a good deal. I've read people buying their suits at your normal Macy's, JCPenny's, etc, as well as Jos. A Bank, J Crew, Brooks Brothers, Men's Wearhouse, ebay, etc. Some people have had great luck at Goodwill.
Dress Shirt:
  • Light blue or white-ish colors. Be careful it isn't too blue, especially if you're going with a Navy suit. Now isn't the time to assert your individuality or creativity. Keep it professional. No crazy colours, no crazy patterns. aka conservative is better.
  • Oxford shirts seemed to get a bit of love.
  • Wear an undershirt
Tie:
  • As above, this is not a time to express your creativity and "taste." There seems to be love for burgundy, but look through the past threads' images. Again, just don't wear crazy ones/odd or too strongly patterned ones.
  • Half-windsor or four-in-hand for the knot.
  • Get the tie dimple right
Belt:
  • Match your belt color to your shoe color! ie if you have dark brown cap toe oxfords get a dark brown belt.

Shoes:
  • Jury is out on this one. Like the suits, try to find a good deal that looks good. Not too square-like, not loafers, not shabby. You can look through the images of past posts to get an idea of what people were wearing. Oxfords seem to be a decent bet though.
  • Darker brown seems to be favored over lighter brown.
Socks:
  • Do not wear white socks with black dress shoes

General wisdom:
  • The back of your collar should properly conceal the neck of your tie. You know when like 2cm of it sticks out in the back? Looks like you're a huge tool.
  • Don't button the bottom button. It's supposed to be left undone. Also unbutton the top button before you sit down.

As with the other threads, if you are looking for advice, post pictures, and someone or many someones will comment.

Best,
Donut

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Just a personal preference. I absolutely hate half windsors and the tie dimple. Just looks lopsided and sloppy to me.

Reactions: 1 user
920fefb6738f95d690b82869f0fdd520--male-outfits-windsor-knot.jpg

If I see any of you with a tie knot like this on the interview trail, I will pull you aside and fix it myself.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
920fefb6738f95d690b82869f0fdd520--male-outfits-windsor-knot.jpg

If I see any of you with a tie knot like this on the interview trail, I will pull you aside and fix it myself.
There's no issue with a double windsor knot. Just make sure your tie knot is well done and not some crazy exotic design.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no issue with a double windsor knot. Just make sure your tie knot is well done and not some crazy exotic design.

Sorry man, that is not what a double windsor (or any knot for that matter) is supposed to look like. It looks like someone is playing dress-up with daddy's clothes.

That tie dimple looks bad man - too extreme. It looks like a cartoon character.

I prefer my ties to go with as little dimple as possible. I hit the old half windsor or double windsor all day, err'day.

And SS is right. Do not use button down collars with a suit - it is too casual.

A wide, flat, loose, poorly made knot with no dimple? Woof.

Here is what I consider to be an excellent four-in-hand knot

But it really depends on your shirt. If you're wearing a button-down or point collar shirt, you gotta go with a four-in-hand. If you're wearing a spread or cutaway collar shirt, the half-windsor is the most fitting.

You should not wear a button down shirt with a suit.

Yes, I know it's antiquated and tradition based, but it is still proper etiquette (for anyone who cares, the button down shirt was invented to keep collars from flapping in the breeze while playing polo. It is by definition a "sport" shirt. It can be accompanied with a blazer or jacket in a business casual setting but is not to be paired with a suit).

I would also avoid an overly aggressively spread collar. Not based on any formal etiquette but just because they have a strong unconscious association with ESPN sportscaster dude bros.

100% agree, just using it as an example of how tie knots need to be properly matched to the collar.

A wide, flat, loose, poorly made knot with no dimple? Woof.

Here is what I consider to be an excellent four-in-hand knot

But it really depends on your shirt. If you're wearing a button-down or point collar shirt, you gotta go with a four-in-hand. If you're wearing a spread or cutaway collar shirt, the half-windsor is the most fitting.
The four-in-hand looks like something you hastily tied together with one hand while driving to an interview. A half-windsor looks like a full windsor that had a stroke and slouches to one side.

I prefer symmetry in my knots. But that's just me. I realize the modern preference is the lopsided, small knot.

I also don't mind no-dimple knots. I like something like this.

tie-no-dimple.jpeg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should not wear a button down shirt with a suit.

Yes, I know it's antiquated and tradition based, but it is still proper etiquette (for anyone who cares, the button down shirt was invented to keep collars from flapping in the breeze while playing polo. It is by definition a "sport" shirt. It can be accompanied with a blazer or jacket in a business casual setting but is not to be paired with a suit).

I would also avoid an overly aggressively spread collar. Not based on any formal etiquette but just because they have a strong unconscious association with ESPN sportscaster dude bros.

Surg,
If you don't recommend a button down shirt what do you recommend? T-Shirts or what?

What is wrong with a black suit?

If a med school meeting fits any of the following situations then a black suit is fine: A funeral, you're the president, work for the FBI, CIA, or Secret Service, you're a Catholic Priest. Any other situation you look like a schmuck.

Reactions: 3 users
got this bad boy coming soon:

Combatant Gentlemen

great site for well made/cheaper suits if you know your sizes

EDIT: DO NOT EVER ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY - they stop shipping products around the time I ordered my suit and have essentially gone dark - I had to file disputes with my credit card company to be refunded.

Last edited:
If a med school meeting fits any of the following situations then a black suit is fine: A funeral, you're the president, work for the FBI, CIA, or Secret Service, you're a Catholic Priest. Any other situation you look like a schmuck.
I had no idea people felt so strongly about this. Pretty sure half the people I know wore black to their interviews. I'd be honestly surprised if it made even the slightest difference.

Reactions: 6 users
I had no idea people felt so strongly about this. Pretty sure half the people I know wore black to their interviews. I'd be honestly surprised if it made even the slightest difference.

In reality, it probably doesn't make a difference. But it looks bad and people will judge you. Luckily, I would say that well over half of interviewees look like they raided their dad's closet so you'd be in good company.

I don't think you have to be as sartorially inclined as people make it out to be. Just make sure your shoulders fit, and get your jacket taken in to a tailor to get the sides to fit. Get pants hemmed for a quarter break (more modern but not as forward as no break). Take a chest measurement before buying a suit online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How am I the only one that likes these suits? :shrug:

They're for more formal occasions. You have to dress to the occasion. You don't wear suits to class because it doesn't fit.

The goal with clothing is "fit," both in how the clothes fit YOU, and how you fit the place and time.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone suggest a service for guys who are terrible at knowing when a suit fits or not? Custom made might be the safest bet, but then I would need a faster service. A store with helpful staff that's well educated about how suits should fit that does tailoring might be the next best option. I'm unsure of which places fit those descriptions. It's possible that I might have to pay more to get this sort of hand-holding expertise. That would be fine if I have to choose between buying a dud and spending a little more to get it right the first time.

Can anyone suggest a service for guys who are terrible at knowing when a suit fits or not? Custom made might be the safest bet, but then I would need a faster service. A store with helpful staff that's well educated about how suits should fit that does tailoring might be the next best option. I'm unsure of which places fit those descriptions. It's possible that I might have to pay more to get this sort of hand-holding expertise. That would be fine if I have to choose between buying a dud and spending a little more to get it right the first time.

I suggest black lapel. Pricey, but it's made to measure and satisfaction guaranteed. They remake until it fits.

Do you have a good suit now? If you do, find a reputable tailor that does alterations and bring your suit there. Follow his/her guidance with the exception of trimming your suit down to the currently-fashionable way-too-small look. Many high-end dry cleaners can refer you to a tailor if you're not in a big city and can't find one.

If you don't currently own a good suit, Brooks Brothers or Nordstrom will be your best bet. I'd hesitate to buy made to measure online because if you don't know how it's supposed to fit perfectly, how will you know if it does?

If you don't currently own a good suit, Brooks Brothers or Nordstrom will be your best bet. I'd hesitate to buy made to measure online because if you don't know how it's supposed to fit perfectly, how will you know if it does?

Well it's hard to have a bad fit when you give them your exact measurements--it's usually extremely close.

I would recommend posting the fit on /r/malefashionadvice and having it altered accordingly.

Do you have a good suit now? If you do, find a reputable tailor that does alterations and bring your suit there. Follow his/her guidance with the exception of trimming your suit down to the currently-fashionable way-too-small look. Many high-end dry cleaners can refer you to a tailor if you're not in a big city and can't find one.

Second the nomination for Nordstrom's. They are known for excellent customer service and work with tailors to be sure your suit will fit.

I went with a navy/black plaid suit and got accepted to all the schools I wore it to and I got quite a few compliments, however if I were applying this cycle I would immediately order the Conor Mcgregor "**** you" pin-stripe suit and rock that.

Reactions: 6 users
Fyi, a cheap suit tailored looks better than an expensive ill fitting non-tailored suit. I decided to treat myself to a new one for interview season :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I went with a navy/black plaid suit and got accepted to all the schools I wore it to and I got quite a few compliments, however if I were applying this cycle I would immediately order the Conor Mcgregor "**** you" pin-stripe suit and rock that.

This is what you do for graduation from medical school, not your interviews for medical school, lol.

Time for my obligatory "no, a bad suit won't keep you out of medical school and no one is suggesting that, but why would you intentionally buy and wear an inappropriate suit/shirt/shoes/whatever if it's easy enough to learn the proper protocol?" post.

This seems to need to be said approximately once every page on these threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Which company did you use?

Shopping starts this weekend! I'll probably start at a Macys, jos a, or Nordstrom. Most of the places offer tailor service, but if not I'll find a shop in town that does it.

One other point that should be made on these clothing threads -- Do not buy a navy pinstripe suit unless you have the money to buy a really good one. Even then, it's not your best choice. Why?
  • For some reason, almost every inexpensive navy pinstripe suit I've ever seen looks cheap. (It's OK to wear an inexpensive suit if you're still a college student, but do try for a suit that doesn't look cheap.)
  • Something about the fabric, the crispness or blur of the stripes, stripe prominence or subtlety, etc. Just too many things that can go wrong and with a cheap navy pinstripe suit - one or more of these things invariably does. (Solid navy is much more forgiving.)
  • Even the expensive ones look more Wall Street than medical school, which is not the look you want.

Last edited: