Mention Last Year's Interview in Update/Interest/Intent Letter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to School X last year and was given an interview for a waitlist spot (I applied REALLY late). About a month after being rejected, I began this year's cycle and re-applied much earlier. I am planning on writing a pre-interview letter of update/interest/intent (maybe) this week.

My question (finally)...

Do I: (a) come right out and mention my interview last year directly, (b) indirectly mention it by saying something like "I enjoyed my first visit to your school..." or (c) forget last year ever happened?

Flame away....

TTFN

PBM

Members don't see this ad.

PBMaxx said:
I applied to School X last year and was given an interview for a waitlist spot (I applied REALLY late). About a month after being rejected, I began this year's cycle and re-applied much earlier. I am planning on writing a pre-interview letter of update/interest/intent (maybe) this week.

My question (finally)...

Do I: (a) come right out and mention my interview last year directly, (b) indirectly mention it by saying something like "I enjoyed my first visit to your school..." or (c) forget last year ever happened?

Flame away....

TTFN

PBM

It says right in your application that you are a reapplicant, right? If so, I would go with either (a) or (b).

Mentioning it will reinforce interest and show persistence. You might as well casually drop a reference to your first interview (b). (a) is also alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
It says right in your application that you are a reapplicant, right? If so, I would go with either (a) or (b).

Yeah they know I am a reapplicant. My major concern is that this letter would be pre-interview for this cycle.

You and Art make good points, thank you both.

I wrote a similar letter to UIC pre-interview. In the letter, I made it very clear that I interviewed at UIC before and that I loved the school. I also mentioned that I talked with the admissions dean regarding my application after I was rejected last year. I wrote another paragraph on what I have improve on and how those improvements have made me a stronger applicant. i'd be more than happy to send my letter to you via PM if you're interested. Let me know.

Oh...I got an interview offer two weeks after I submitted my letter.