Mention political gambling winnings in additional update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should schools hear about this?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters

Fatlark

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy gambling, stocks and politics. I also wanted to put my MCAT psych knowledge to good use. I gambled on political polling results and the November 8th results. PredictIt (the website used) also includes stock market elements, which I became familiar with. I always meant for this to be a learning experience for me and I ended up writing a short guide for on how to utilize market panic in various instances without falling for it.

After correctly predicting the election winner in august of 2015, and starting my gambling in September 2016, I ended up winning about a grand off of a $200 investment. A tax return needs to be filed.

Do medical schools want to hear about this in an additional update?

Thank you!

(this form of online gambling is legal because predictIt is run by a non-profit academic institution, and we are subjects in an experiment)

Members don't see this ad.

haha what?
1. Why in your right mind would you ever tell professional schools you gambled. That's a vice.
3. Academia/Medicine is heavy left leaning, and any inclination towards being a trump supporter (even if you aren't and just gambled for him) could hurt you

These were my big concerns

2. Your winnings aren't even impressive. If you were a former pro poker player, sure, put it in your app. But one lucky 50-50 guess? That's the same as calling black on roulette. Zero skill involved.

I won this over many bets. I also never tried to create huge winnings just wanted an outlet to relax with.

In what way do you think mentioning this will help your application?

I dunno. I'm desperate. Maybe it showcases intellectual curiosity? A care for current events?

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now my current mindset is to NOT mention it, hence its 2 months later and I still haven't. However, I just wanted to clear this by SDN so I know I'm not ****ing up by keeping it hidden.

Only if you want to start being continually pestered by the schools' Offices of Advancement for funding endowments.

I really enjoy gambling, stocks and politics. I also wanted to put my MCAT psych knowledge to good use. I gambled on political polling results and the November 8th results. PredictIt (the website used) also includes stock market elements, which I became familiar with. I always meant for this to be a learning experience for me and I ended up writing a short guide for on how to utilize market panic in various instances without falling for it.

After correctly predicting the election winner in august of 2015, and starting my gambling in September 2016, I ended up winning about a grand off of a $200 investment. A tax return needs to be filed.

Do medical schools want to hear about this in an additional update?

Thank you!

(this form of online gambling is legal because predictIt is run by a non-profit academic institution, and we are subjects in an experiment)

Reactions: 1 user