Mention specific PI's research in LOI despite that PI not knowing who you are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
In my LOI for a school, I want to mention a specific PI's research at that school. Their research really aligns with my prior experiences and my interests, and if accepted to the school, I definitely want to contribute to that project. However, I have never communicated with that PI, and the PI does not know who I am. Would it still be okay to mention the specific project or does it seem a bit disingenuous if the PI does not know who I am?

Members don't see this ad.

You can say that you were excited to hear about this research project that closely aligns with your interest and experience. The school knows that you don't know the faculty yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Just be careful. It might be better to say, "interest in research going on at [school name] with [topic area]" than to mention a PI by name. The PI may be a jerk, might be someone who doesn't get along well with other faculty members, might have one foot out the door and about to transfer elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users