Mentioning significant other who goes to school in "Why Us" essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seryner

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My significant other is a current medical student at X school. We are a serious long-term couple and have plans for the future together. How should I bring this up in this school's "Why Us" secondary, if at all? Of course, I am not planning to make this the focus of my essay, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a huge reason for me applying.
And if I do bring it up, should I state my SO's name as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I would for sure mention it. Not sure how to bring it up. That's up to you.

I would probably have your SO also let the admissions office or someone that they're familiar with know that you're applying.

Reactions: 2 users
Being in a long-term relationship with a current student is a legit reason to want to attend a school. You can follow it up with the usual BS answers for "why us" afterwards. No need for you to name drop. I agree with armybound that your SO should let the admissions office know as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the advice! Appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
My significant other is a current medical student at X school. We are a serious long-term couple and have plans for the future together. How should I bring this up in this school's "Why Us" secondary, if at all? Of course, I am not planning to make this the focus of my essay, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a huge reason for me applying.
And if I do bring it up, should I state my SO's name as well?
SOs come and SOs go. If you want your relationship to give you more mileage in that med school's decision-making process, put a ring on it. Adcomms won't care if it's a long-term engagement, but they do care about a perception of demonstrated commitment.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
SOs come and SOs go. If you want your relationship to give you more mileage in that med school's decision-making process, put a ring on it.

It would truly be peak premed to get engaged for application purposes. I'll let my SO know to get me a ring with his three-month salary of negative $20k

Reactions: 1 users
It would truly be peak premed to get engaged for application purposes. I'll let my SO know to get me a ring with his three-month salary of negative $20k

Have him take out more grad PLUS loans :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
A costly ring, or any ring, is not required for an engagement to become "official," as it's more an issue of mutual consent. My first engagement ring came out of a gumball machine. It was later replaced with a more expensive one (which I rarely wear as it can damage latex or nitrile gloves). Occasionally I miss the adjustable band the first one had.

• Love
  • Haha
A costly ring, or any ring, is not required for an engagement to become "official," as it's more an issue of mutual consent. My first engagement ring came out of a gumball machine. It was later replaced with a more expensive one (which I rarely wear as it can damage latex or nitrile gloves). Occasionally I miss the adjustable band the first one had.

Haha I was just joking with my comment! 100% agreed that a ring isn't necessary for an engagement. Personally I just don't have much of a desire to get engaged/married

Cubic zirconia is your friend