Mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaySay1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im currently shadowing a dentist and I want to ask him to be my mentor, do you think it is appropriate to ask him over lunch?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Im currently shadowing a dentist and I want to ask him to be my mentor, do you think it is appropriate to ask him over lunch?

This is a silly question, but how do you see your relationship with this dentist changing if he/she has the title of "mentor"? How would his role as a "mentor" be any different than it is now?

This is a silly question, but how do you see your relationship with this dentist changing if he/she has the title of "mentor"? How would his role as a "mentor" be any different than it is now?

Currently just shadowing him I observe procedures and are learning dental and scientific basics. If he is my mentor I can still learn these things and more but I will have someone who can give me advice and perspective in regards to my career (in and outside of the office).

Thanks for the question

Members don't see this ad :)
If you build your relationship with the doctor through shadowing, you will feel eventually feel comfortable asking him for advice when it comes to your applications/interviews/career. He is already "mentoring" you if you are shadowing him and learning. I think it would be kind of awkward to ask the doctor to be your mentor, when he essentially already is. There's no need to put a label on your relationship. Build your relationship, be intrigued, ask questions. Make a good impression in the office that you work in. You will feel comfortable soon enough to ask him for other advice.

Last edited:
Since when was being a mentor a proper title? I've never even heard of someone asking "will you... be my mentor?" That just sounds awkward, lol.

I agree with the PP's. Mentorship is something that is built with your relationship over time, and not something you awkwardly ask for.

Having said that, there are other factors (such as how well you get along) that come into play when you are developing a mentor/mentee relationship.

Just build your relationship with this dentist and hopefully over time he will become your mentor.

Don't ever ask anyone, "Will you be my mentor?" That is just highly awkward.

Since when was being a mentor a proper title? I've never even heard of someone asking "will you... be my mentor?" That just sounds awkward, lol.

Oh God, just reading that makes me cringe lol

I can see kind of what you are trying to do. Perhaps in conversation sometime you could thank him for all of his help and tell him something like "I just wanted to thank you for all of your advice and time. I would consider you a mentor figure in my life. Thank you." Thus you have let him know that you considering him a mentor. : )