Mercer Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my call today as well!

Members don't see this ad.

I got waitlisted :(. I guess I'm going to go to my second choice, UT-Memphis. If I sign my confirmation of attendance and pay my deposit for UT-Memphis, do you know if I cancel it if I somehow get into Mercer later on?

do they call people as in Alphabetical order? :( I don't get any call yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Call them. Since I didn't get a call like everybody who got accepted did, I called them.

I called, they said that they put it on hold for the next meeting... :( another long wait

frankly, i think there are a lot of ppl getting accepted

it seems like more than 145 or w/e

Yea of course there is going to be more than 145 people accepted? Not everyone the accept chooses to go there so they have to take that into account and over-accept.

Got my call from Melva today! yay! :love:

I just got my call today from them today.:laugh: I'm so excited. Good luck to everyone else on here. :)

I got waitlisted :(. I guess I'm going to go to my second choice, UT-Memphis. If I sign my confirmation of attendance and pay my deposit for UT-Memphis, do you know if I cancel it if I somehow get into Mercer later on?

Yep - that's what I had to do. I had already paid a deposit for somewhere else, and ended up giving it up when I got into Mercer. It sucks, but that's just part of the application process when you get into your first choice later. Also, note that there will probably not be a lot of movement in the waitlist until after whenever it is in April that UGA announces all their acceptances.

I just got an interview INVITE THIS MORNING VIA EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone here interviewing on April 20th???? Any advise on the interview???? any essay to write???? thanks!!!! :love:

No essays to write. There is something weird about mercer. Everybody that I met in the interview has high spirits. During question time in the interview, I asked a question that probably got me rejected, which is ok by me. "Do you really like Mercer?" :laugh: My interviewer seemed a little bit perplexed. He responded, "Yes, yes, I do."

Another stupid thing that I did was attempting to hug Melva. She is so beautiful.:love:

Prepharmers do anything to get admission.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview INVITE THIS MORNING VIA EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone here interviewing on April 20th???? Any advise on the interview???? any essay to write???? thanks!!!! :love:

Congratulations! You are going to be impressed with Mercer, no doubt.

Last edited:
Congrats! I just had an interview Feb27, it was nothing like a expected! I studied all week prior with various pharmacy interview questions and had 2 mock interviews with my teachers, but when I got there it was so laid back! My interviewers and I talked as if we were friends. I think you should know why your doing pharmacy, why you chose Mercer, and q's like that but other than that just be yourself because that's what they want to see. I must say though, my interview had 20 other people and they were also very good,most had degrees and good stats so the competitions is there, but I think most importantly they want to know that you can interact with people etc. so just be outgoing and realize how lucky you are to have received this opportunity.
I haven't received a phone call yet, so i think i may have been wait listed which i understand because my stats were below average. 78 pcat and 3.35 gpa.
send me a message if you have any other q's
also check out this site, its feedback from a bunch of people on the interview at Mercer.
http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=272

good luck!!

Do you guys think that they are still calling accepted people all week? Or do you think all the accepted people would have been called mon &tues?
Gosh I feel like my heart is being torn out every time I think about it.

I think they already called all the ones who they accepted friday and monday. Just call them and ask about your admission status. That's what I did to find out that I got waitlisted. They will be sending out letters to everybody (accepted, waitlisted, and denied) this week. Mercer wasn't even one of my choice for pharmacy school at the beginning. I did not submit the supplemental application because I wasn't even thinking about going. But they sent me an email right after the deadline saying they will extend the deadline for me. So I went ahead and submitted it. I went to the interview, and I absolutely loved the campus and the people there (except for my student interviewer, who I interviewed terribly with :D). Now I'm regretting of not submitting my secondary before the deadline. Hopefully I will get accepted a little later on. I would love to go to Mercer.

Yeah, its my #1 school of choice.
My interviews went really well so I guess I just need higher stats.
This was my second time applying, the first time I didn't get an interview.
I guess its back to studying for the PCAT for me:sleep:
Well, you know they still pull like 30 people off the wait list, but I wonder if its in order of when you were put on it or based on your stats?

Yeah, its my #1 school of choice.
My interviews went really well so I guess I just need higher stats.
This was my second time applying, the first time I didn't get an interview.
I guess its back to studying for the PCAT for me:sleep:
Well, you know they still pull like 30 people off the wait list, but I wonder if its in order of when you were put on it or based on your stats?

I just want to thank everyone for their advise! My interview is on April 20th! I am scared now that I know 78 is not good enough for them!!! I made a 81 so my stats are similar to yours!!!!! (my sciences are in the 90s but I made a 20 on reading which brought me waaaaaay down!:() If 78 isn't good enough 81 might not be either...:( I hope they might like my Chemistry degree with a 3.85 GPA...but I think the PCAT is more important...

Is the interview ONE on ONE???? I hope there is NO group interviews I HATE those with a passion! lol....I don't mind one on one interviews...in fact I am good at one on one interviews. LOL....At South there was 2 one on one interviews and one essay to write.
How many interviews are at Mercer? are they one on one? or group?

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Do you guys think that they are still calling accepted people all week? Or do you think all the accepted people would have been called mon &tues?
Gosh I feel like my heart is being torn out every time I think about it.

I am not sure about other interview dates, but I called Mercer and they told me everyone thats interviewing on April will NOT get an acceptance until May. So me and everyone else interviewing in April will not hear anything until May...so you can still get a call in May! :)

see i don't really understand what that means...i don't mean to sound dumb, but why would they accept so many people for so few seats/

All schools do this (well, except for like community colleges or such like that) - but basically any place that is competitive admission accepts more than the number of seats because they know from historical experience that they will only get a yield of roughly X % who actually accept the offer.

Also, a couple of things I've observed that are more specific to Mercer - a lot of people who are instate apply to both Mercer and UGA, and I would suspect that a pretty high proportion of those who end up being accepted by both go to UGA because of the cost difference. Also, because Mercer is a private school and has historically had classes with a reasonable # of out-of-state students, a lot of the applicants are applying to a number of other schools and therefore may end up accepting an offer closer to home, etc.

I know the year I started they were pulling off the waitlist up to 7 days before school started in order to get the total number of seats filled.

They have two one-on-one interviews (one faculty and one current student), and no essay to write. Overall they make the day very enjoyable.

I just want to thank everyone for their advise! My interview is on April 20th! I am scared now that I know 78 is not good enough for them!!! I made a 81 so my stats are similar to yours!!!!! (my sciences are in the 90s but I made a 20 on reading which brought me waaaaaay down!:() If 78 isn't good enough 81 might not be either...:( I hope they might like my Chemistry degree with a 3.85 GPA...but I think the PCAT is more important...

Is the interview ONE on ONE???? I hope there is NO group interviews I HATE those with a passion! lol....I don't mind one on one interviews...in fact I am good at one on one interviews. LOL....At South there was 2 one on one interviews and one essay to write.

I just got accepted to Mercer and I can say you still have pretty good chance as Mercer likes people with a science degree.

Check out the interview feedback section of SDN... most of those questions are reused.

Be sure to show your passion and determination in your answers. :thumbup:

I had two interviews, one with a P3 student and one with a teacher, so one on one. each interview was about 30 min. It was really laid back, we just talked and often went off subject. Don't stress! The students and faculty at Mercer are the best. You will feel right at home when you get there! Just be yourself and let that shine through! Don't let nervousness make you shy and make sure you talk to everyone!

I just got my letter today! Wait listed. I am so excited!! At the interview Dr. Bartling told us they pulled a good bit of people off the wait list last year so :xf:.
Good luck to everyone!
and Congrats to those who got accepted:banana:

I just got my letter today! Wait listed. I am so excited!! At the interview Dr. Bartling told us they pulled a good bit of people off the wait list last year so :xf:.
Good luck to everyone!
and Congrats to those who got accepted:banana:

Good luck! I hope you get accepted soon!! Do you have a degree? maybe thats why?

I just got accepted to Mercer and I can say you still have pretty good chance as Mercer likes people with a science degree.

Check out the interview feedback section of SDN... most of those questions are reused.

Be sure to show your passion and determination in your answers. :thumbup:

Thanks!! I will go look now. What other schools did you get into? Would you pick Mercer or South?

Thanks!! I will go look now. What other schools did you get into? Would you pick Mercer or South?

I interviewed at Mercer and LECOM-B and got into both. As soon as I found out my acceptance to Mercer, I declined all other interview invites.

I'd choose Mercer over South since Mercer is more prestigious of a school and only 30 minutes from my house. :)

I interviewed at Mercer and LECOM-B and got into both. As soon as I found out my acceptance to Mercer, I declined all other interview invites.

I'd choose Mercer over South since Mercer is more prestigious of a school and only 30 minutes from my house. :)

If you are a GA resident you should go to University of Geogria....MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Its not all about the cheapest school. I see you writing that in a lot of threads. Residencies and Employers are starting to pay close attention to where students graduate come from. In the past, this was not such a priority. With the way the field is transitioning to becoming more clinical, it begins to matter what school you attended and their connections for competitive jobs. You also need to look at a schools alumni base ( Are they holding high positions in academia, industry, and hospital?), a trait that is very strong of Mercer. Lastly, pay close attention to the quality of rotation sites and professors.

I have seen you are set on retail, however, that could change drastically once you actually attend pharmacy school. Retail could get boring very quick, but who knows. You can always find a school curriculum that will enable you to be a quality retail pharmacist, but not always clinical. Personally, I am going to have to sit down and think over my decisions between UF, UNC, and Mercer if that time arrives. Money will factor in, but more importantly will the quality of my education.

I've been thinking along the lines of Antimony.
I've been accepted at Mercer and at an in-state school. In-state school makes sense economically, but I really loved Mercer. I'm especially interested in one of their clerkship programs, so now i'm just confused as to which school to go to.
Anyone choose Mercer over a cheaper option? Should money even become a factor?(After all we can pay it off once we start working, although it might take longer if one chooses Mercer).

I've been thinking along the lines of Antimony.
I've been accepted at Mercer and at an in-state school. In-state school makes sense economically, but I really loved Mercer. I'm especially interested in one of their clerkship programs, so now i'm just confused as to which school to go to.
Anyone choose Mercer over a cheaper option? Should money even become a factor?(After all we can pay it off once we start working, although it might take longer if one chooses Mercer).

Quite of few people from the class of 2012 that I met chose Mercer over UGA. It is all about what school you feel will make the best fit academically. You can pay off your education with a pharmacists salary rather quickly. That should not be your main concern.

Quite of few people from the class of 2012 that I met chose Mercer over UGA. It is all about what school you feel will make the best fit academically. You can pay off your education with a pharmacists salary rather quickly. That should not be your main concern.

I'll jump in and add that you should consider not just the best fit academically, but other ways as well. Mercer is a small campus with a very different atmosphere than a large college campus like UGA or UNC. I have personally really enjoyed the smaller scale of Mercer, but I had the opportunity before in undergrad to do the major college campus thing also, so I didn't feel like I had missed out.

I'll jump in and add that you should consider not just the best fit academically, but other ways as well. Mercer is a small campus with a very different atmosphere than a large college campus like UGA or UNC. I have personally really enjoyed the smaller scale of Mercer, but I had the opportunity before in undergrad to do the major college campus thing also, so I didn't feel like I had missed out.

Thank you guys for giving me a better look. Mercer just feels right, I even enjoyed that secluded feeling that I felt when I interviewed there.

Do you guys think that attending Mercer will give me an advantage when it comes to residencies?Are residencies that competitive that they'll scrutinize your pharmd education?

Its not all about the cheapest school. I see you writing that in a lot of threads. Residencies and Employers are starting to pay close attention to where students graduate come from. In the past, this was not such a priority. With the way the field is transitioning to becoming more clinical, it begins to matter what school you attended and their connections for competitive jobs. You also need to look at a schools alumni base ( Are they holding high positions in academia, industry, and hospital?), a trait that is very strong of Mercer. Lastly, pay close attention to the quality of rotation sites and professors.

I have seen you are set on retail, however, that could change drastically once you actually attend pharmacy school. Retail could get boring very quick, but who knows. You can always find a school curriculum that will enable you to be a quality retail pharmacist, but not always clinical. Personally, I am going to have to sit down and think over my decisions between UF, UNC, and Mercer if that time arrives. Money will factor in, but more importantly will the quality of my education.

You are absolutely right! 1) retail positions are harder to come by meaning...school name is more important in order to obtain residencies spots!!! 2) yes I am set on retail...but I am picky....I want a retail position that I like...meaning NO drive thru and in a good location...if I can't find that then I will have to do something else...so again school's name is very important. 3) I know nothing about pharmacy except for the retail positions...so maybe I would be interested in clinical pharmacy and therefore need a residency and therefore need a good name school!

However, just b/c a school has the best name (highest rank) doesn't mean you can get into residency the easiest...For example I went to Columbia for dental school hoping to get an Ortho residency easily...but thats actually the opposite...since most people at Columbia want Ortho it actually made the competition more intense and therefore decrease in my chances of getting in...if I was to go to a less known school then maybe I could have a higher chance since most people there are not as competive and my chances of being in the TOP of the class would be higher and therefore higher chances of obtaining my Ortho residency.

Okay sorry to get off tangent, but what I am saying is that yes UNC for example is a very high rank school and most people will assume thats a guarntee residency of your choice, but thats not true since everyone in your class is going to be super competitive and fighting for that same spot your competition will be more intense and therefore your chances of being at the top of your class will decrease and therefore LESS chance of being accepted into your residency...

I don't know if all that made sense but all I do know is that I have attended a very well-known yet competitve school before and fighting with 80 of the smartest people in the nation is not easy at all.

Last edited:

I guess you could pay off your debt rather quickly...but you will be living like a college student...Pharmacist take home (after taxes) 60-70K a year....if you owe 150K in student loans...it will be 4-5 years of living like a college student to pay it off...and I will be around 27 to 28 when I graduate...plus 4 to 5 years of living like pauper I will be in my thirties before I can actually have a good life!!! :eek: But I guess thats the price you have to pay to get a good income in the long run...I just wish I can be YOUNG AND have a GOOD life and not old. OKay getting off topic again.

Back on topic. Mercer and South are both REALLY good schools and I would love to attend both! Its hard work at the begining as I mention ^ but it will all be worth it once I hit 32 I guess.....:rolleyes:

Thank you guys for giving me a better look. Mercer just feels right, I even enjoyed that secluded feeling that I felt when I interviewed there.

Do you guys think that attending Mercer will give me an advantage when it comes to residencies?Are residencies that competitive that they'll scrutinize your pharmd education?
UGA also runs a good program and is well known throughout the state, mainly because so many students graduate from there. They're even building a new pharmacy building, i think that really shows UGA's determination in the program. they have clinical sights with medical college of GA. So although Mercer felt right and it's a great school, i really liked it, if i get accepted to UGA...idk, i might switch. That'll be a tough decision because i like both schools and students from both school like the schools so idk. Tough tough tough. Then again, i might be put on UGA's waiting list, and the decision will be much easier, to mercer i go! lol

who's going to the picnic in april?

yes you can pay it off quickly, but a difference of $100k is something to consider.

you'd better go dude, i want to meet some ppl lol

I think I'm going to go. I have to see how expensive the plane tickets are first. Has anyone received an e-mail or letter about it yet? Jordana said they would be sending one out so that we could RSVP but I haven't received anything yet.

I was sent a letter through the mail about the April picknick. I'm not sure if I am going to go though.

I'm 32.45% unsure if i'm going

lol.. i was just kidding.

It's cool, I can handle it. Are you a current pharmacy student? If so, will any of you be at the pre-orientation event so that we will be able to meet some of the P1s, P2s, P3s?

i'm about 95% sure i'm going.....5% for the off chance that i decide to be lazy that day or i have a big test the next week.