Mercer University's Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it is advisable to bring a car except you do not mind begging for a ride anytime you need to go out.

I was thinking the same, but Atlanta has the MARTA so it's not like Miami. LOL I would still feel lost without my car though. I know my undergrad actually stopped allowing freshman to bring cars my senior year and they somehow managed to get along without one though. I'm still waiting to hear from the schools I applied to but it's the end of the application cycle so I'm sure they're swamped.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure... numbers are posted on various sites, but I think it just depends on the overall application. I'm assuming having at least a 3.0+ and 60-70+ PCAT would be considered decent if you have good ECs, LORs, volunteer experience, etc. I just applied so I don't really have any idea because I haven't been contacted about interview, rejection, etc.

What kind of volunteer work?

Not sure... numbers are posted on various sites, but I think it just depends on the overall application. I'm assuming having at least a 3.0+ and 60-70+ PCAT would be considered decent if you have good ECs, LORs, volunteer experience, etc. I just applied so I don't really have any idea because I haven't been contacted about interview, rejection, etc.
What kind of volunteer work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any volunteer work is good, but I assume that pharmacy/health care related would be nice. It's kind of hard to volunteer in a pharmacy though. I found one hospital in the entire city of Miami that took pharmacy volunteers so that is where I got my experience. If anything, try to get a job as a pharmacy technician in a store so you can get experience and save up money for school, but then volunteer in a hospital on the side even if it isn't in the actual pharmacy. VA hospitals always need volunteers... animal shelters do to, but that's not really health care related. Basically do something you like to do because I feel like admissions committees want to see you devoted to something quality... it doesn't really matter if you do 10 different things for a week if you aren't dedicated to them.

I was thinking the same, but Atlanta has the MARTA so it's not like Miami. LOL I would still feel lost without my car though. I know my undergrad actually stopped allowing freshman to bring cars my senior year and they somehow managed to get along without one though. I'm still waiting to hear from the schools I applied to but it's the end of the application cycle so I'm sure they're swamped.

Best of luck with the application cycle! Mercer is in North Atlanta-- so you have to take the bus after getting off the MARTA. I hope people are nice to carpool to get necessities. I also am not bringing my car in hopes of saving money on insurance. blah, i hope i get by. :)

Any volunteer work is good, but I assume that pharmacy/health care related would be nice. It's kind of hard to volunteer in a pharmacy though. I found one hospital in the entire city of Miami that took pharmacy volunteers so that is where I got my experience. If anything, try to get a job as a pharmacy technician in a store so you can get experience and save up money for school, but then volunteer in a hospital on the side even if it isn't in the actual pharmacy. VA hospitals always need volunteers... animal shelters do to, but that's not really health care related. Basically do something you like to do because I feel like admissions committees want to see you devoted to something quality... it doesn't really matter if you do 10 different things for a week if you aren't dedicated to them.

I am new to US. I have restrictions on working ofcourse not for volunteering. I should find out where and how to get in.
Thank you.:)

I'm pretty sure it's the same price for everyone because it's private. I think it's ~30,000 per year... not sure if the P4 year is less or not. I also hear they have scholarships for keeping a really high GPA. I just completed my application this week and I'm from Florida.

In the P4 year you pay per rotation, but the numbers work out almost exactly the same over the whole year as what you pain in tuition per 2 semesters for the first three years.

Best of luck with the application cycle! Mercer is in North Atlanta-- so you have to take the bus after getting off the MARTA. I hope people are nice to carpool to get necessities. I also am not bringing my car in hopes of saving money on insurance. blah, i hope i get by. :)

You might want to reconsider if there is any possible way to bring your car. There are no grocery stores or restaurants in walking distance of the campus. Also, you will (either fall or spring semester) of P1 year have to go to a community site once a week for an intro. practice experience, and you will have a service learning requirement. Both of those might be pretty tricky if you have to rely on somebody else for transportation.

How long, after the interview, did you guys have to wait for admission decisions?

It took less than a week for me, but it all depends on when your interview is and when the admissions committee meets. I got lucky since they wanted to make decisions before winter break.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us that interviewed on Jan 22nd, or earlier in Jan if you haven't heard yet, I was e-mailing back and forth with Jordana and on Sunday she said "only a few more days before you get an admissions decision." So I don't want to make any promises here, but taking it literally I'm expecting the decision this week :xf:

Jordana just called me, I'm in! I will definitely be attending. Good luck ya'll!

Congratulations. You are going to be part of the south florida family. Good luck.

LOL I hope I do well! It is my first interview... I wish I had more experience, but everyone seems so nice there so I think I will feel comfortable.

i interveiwed on Jan 29th and just got the call! im accepted :) congrats to everyone else who got the call too!

I spoke with Melva today and she notified me that my application was placed on hold until the next committee review. :( I have to know...what are my chances of being accepted during the next review?

Hey Junde027, I think they review your file at every meeting they have after an interview up until they decide to cut it off. It might be kind of a wait, but it's actually good that your application is on hold and not rejected completely. I think I may be in the same shoes as you...Besides, some people decide not to go there, and then there would be open seats to fill! To give you some hope, I was waitlisted at Midwestern back in September, but I got pulled off the list February 1st. According to that school, 50% of their incoming class is people who are pulled off the waitlist. I'm not sure about the percentage at Mercer, but that may be worth finding out....I'm nervous about Mercer too...it is a top choice school for me. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hey Junde027, I think they review your file at every meeting they have after an interview up until they decide to cut it off. It might be kind of a wait, but it's actually good that your application is on hold and not rejected completely. I think I may be in the same shoes as you...Besides, some people decide not to go there, and then there would be open seats to fill! To give you some hope, I was waitlisted at Midwestern back in September, but I got pulled off the list February 1st. According to that school, 50% of their incoming class is people who are pulled off the waitlist. I'm not sure about the percentage at Mercer, but that may be worth finding out....I'm nervous about Mercer too...it is a top choice school for me. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks chpsuey!!! That makes me feel a lot better. From what I have heard, they accept the "perfect" students first and then go back and select off the hold list. I can't agree with you more; I am very happy that it was put on hold and I wasn't rejected completely. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting :xf:

I interviewd Jan 22 and got the call yesterday as well!!! Mercer was my #1 choice and I will definitely be attending!!! Good luck to everyone!!!

Hey to all fellow classmates,

I interviewed on Jan 22nd and I got a call from Melva Lord on Tuesday that I got accepted. Thank you to all for the encouragement and info.
For those who are still waiting to hear from Mercer or got their application put on hold for further review, don't loose hope and never give up. I had to sit out last year and that was heart breaking because Mercer put my application on hold for 6 months straight until they told me to just re appply again this year (ended up spending over $2000 total for both pharm cas plus all those supplementals) Remember that Mercer REALLY LIKES IT WHEN YOU SHOW THAT YOU WON"T GIVE UP!! AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF.....I am living proof of this....cheers

Ooh by the way, I call dibbs on Social Chair for this class
Remember the name, Chocolate Moose :D

Chocolate Moose! congrats my friend, I'll see you there!

good luck to all you interviewing!

Last edited:
Congrats to those Accepted!!!

How long does it usually take for PharmCAS to mail out the applications after everything has been received and how long did it take for the supplemental application info to show up on PharmCAS after submitting and paying the fee?

Congrats to those Accepted!!!

How long does it usually take for PharmCAS to mail out the applications after everything has been received and how long did it take for the supplemental application info to show up on PharmCAS after submitting and paying the fee?

After you have filled out your pharmcas and sent in all your transcripts. It takes them about 4-5 weeks to process it and mail it to the schools. As far as the supplemental I wouldn't trust that because mine never showed up on pharmcas and I knew the school already received it and processed it. At this point, you should call the school and make sure they got it. Your Pharmcas can arrive at the school after the deadline just as long as it's postmarked before Feb 1st. Hope this helps and Good luck

After you have filled out your pharmcas and sent in all your transcripts. It takes them about 4-5 weeks to process it and mail it to the schools. As far as the supplemental I wouldn't trust that because mine never showed up on pharmcas and I knew the school already received it and processed it. At this point, you should call the school and make sure they got it. Your Pharmcas can arrive at the school after the deadline just as long as it's postmarked before Feb 1st. Hope this helps and Good luck

Thanks! I'll call them next week.

I got my interview today for March 5!!:D I'm excited to see Atlanta, I've never been!

I got my interview today for March 5!!:D I'm excited to see Atlanta, I've never been!

I love it there! My dad used to live in Georgia so I've visited a few times, but I can't wait to go for my interview. It is by far one of my favorite places. :D

It might be because the undergrad and medical campus is in Macon, and normally undergrad libraries are way bigger because there are more students. I went to a private university for undergrad and our library was medium sized I would say... but I kind of like the convenience and privacy of a smaller one.

Hey guys! I interviewed back in October and was waitlisted...

Just got the packet & phone call a few days ago saying I was accepted!

I (fortunately for one of you lucky people!) will not be attending this Fall.. as I already got accepted to another school that I LOVE! :)

SOOO... one more open spot! Keep up a good spirit... it was like 5 months before I found out! =)

Congrats!!!...I got the phone call too but I don't know if I'm going to go yet...still waiting on UF

Hey, don't you guys think the library at Mercer Atlanta is very small? :cool: I am used to bigger ones.

Those who live in the dorm at Mercer, could you please comment on it? Thanks.

Hi - current pharmacy student here. Yes, compared to a big state university it is kind of small. However, as another poster pointed out, we don't really have a lot of programs on the Atlanta campus. I have personally NEVER had problems getting a computer, a study room, or space in the library when I wanted it, and the personnel are super nice, so don't worry - it's a great library.

Hey there was anyone there on Friday Februray 12? I can't remember when they said we would hear back from them. I know it wasn't this week, but didn't they say next week week we might hear from them? For those that did hear, did you usually get a call from Melva or Jordana??

Did you guys ever get a confirmation after submitting your supplemental app and fees? I submitted in late January, and still have not gotten an e-mail or letter. Thanks.

I got a confirmation email from them. PharmCAS took a really long to send mine though so you might just want to call Mercer and see since its already getting pretty late in the applying/interview process!

Hey there was anyone there on Friday Februray 12? I can't remember when they said we would hear back from them. I know it wasn't this week, but didn't they say next week week we might hear from them? For those that did hear, did you usually get a call from Melva or Jordana??
Hi. I interviewed on the 12th. I spoke with Amanda (in the admissions office) a few minutes ago and she said they will be meeting next week and we should have a decision by the 26th. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone: I interviewed Jan 22 and was accepted Feb 2! :p I'm so excited to start and to meet everyone. I'm especially excited to see so many people from out of state. I grew up in Atlanta and can hopefully help answer any regionally-related questions. (Although, I don't know the area directly around Mercer very well since I live about 40 minutes north of campus). I did notice one poster asked about not bringing a car. I have to say, I agree that having a car in Atlanta is almost necessary. We do not have a very good public transportation system and there isn't much in walking distance from the campus. A bike might suffice, but I would recommend having a vehicle if possible.

I am in the process of filling out my financial aid forms but, I need to file my taxes before completing them. FYI: on the Mercer fin aid form it asks you how many hours you anticipate for both semesters. I asked Megan and she said to put 18 for both. (if that's helpful)

Also - thanks for the link to the fb group. I hope to see everyone at the picnic! :cool:

Hi Everyone: I interviewed Jan 22 and was accepted Feb 2! :p I'm so excited to start and to meet everyone. I'm especially excited to see so many people from out of state. I grew up in Atlanta and can hopefully help answer any regionally-related questions. (Although, I don't know the area directly around Mercer very well since I live about 40 minutes north of campus). I did notice one poster asked about not bringing a car. I have to say, I agree that having a car in Atlanta is almost necessary. We do not have a very good public transportation system and there isn't much in walking distance from the campus. A bike might suffice, but I would recommend having a vehicle if possible.

I am in the process of filling out my financial aid forms but, I need to file my taxes before completing them. FYI: on the Mercer fin aid form it asks you how many hours you anticipate for both semesters. I asked Megan and she said to put 18 for both. (if that's helpful)

Also - thanks for the link to the fb group. I hope to see everyone at the picnic! :cool:
Congrats. see you in the fall. See you at the picnic.

Hey! I just wondering... Mercer FINALLY received my PharmCAS/Supplemental applications. How long did it take you guys till you found out if you got an interview, didn't get an interview, waitlisted, etc.? :)

Hey! I just wondering... Mercer FINALLY received my PharmCAS/Supplemental applications. How long did it take you guys till you found out if you got an interview, didn't get an interview, waitlisted, etc.? :)

My application was received as completed Jan. 5th. I received my interview invite email on February 1. So almost a full month.

Last edited:
I submitted everything in Mid-August and STILL HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING FROM MERCER! I have emailed them a few times because I know once they were waiting for my PCAT scores and once they were waiting for my fall transcripts, but now everything is there...what are they waiting for?! Even if it is a rejection, it would be nice to know! Geez, lol