Messed up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my biology exam today. And in my lecture hall I finished first (out of 200 people). After walking out of lecture hall, I looked, and I selected the wrong answers accidentally for 4-5 questions which I clearly could have gotten the answer correct..

Now here I am demoralized, and pissed. What can I do now? First exam is worth 15 percent.

it also bothers me the exam was written in a 5th grade level, and most people in my class are incompetent. i feel a great amount of rage inside me right now

I know the class is incompetent and stupid because the average should fall around a 70 when realistically for a science class a test like this should yield results around an 85.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Check your answers over again before you leave next time. But it's not the end of the world if you did this once, now you just know to be careful next time.

Edit: just read this more carefully... If you did the exam in 5 minutes you definitely deserve whatever score you got. You must be a naive freshman or something to take the professor's joke so literally. Sorry for being so mean but I couldn't imagine doing an important bio exam in 5 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your answers over again before you leave next time. But it's not the end of the world if you did this once, now you just know to be careful next time.

Edit: just read this more carefully... If you did the exam in 5 minutes you definitely deserve whatever score you got. You must be a naive freshman or something to take the professor's joke so literally. Sorry for being so mean but I couldn't imagine doing an important bio exam in 5 minutes.
it was easy so regardless 5 minutes or 15 minutes doesn't matter.

Time to scratch Harvard off your school list.

Reactions: 11 users
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the type of exam here. I'm thinking of my own freshman bio exams that had like 50 questions including short answers and essay pages and took at least an hour to finish, but yours could be much easier or all multiple choice. Either way you're fine if you do badly on one test and check your work more next time.

Last edited:

If I were to post the questions, it was that simple. And the professor expects the average to fall under a 70! He's trying to shoot for a 75. This is ridiculous. The only reason why I did it in 5 minutes was because it was like i was taking a 9th grade bio exam

Be glad you're ahead of the curve instead of being mad at everyone else for not knowing things? lol

Reactions: 3 users
Be glad you're ahead of the curve instead of being mad at everyone else for not knowing things? lol
I'll just ace the next exam. This is just pissing me off. The lab quizzes are harder than this material. I'm furious right now

Then I went to office hours and my professor kept me there for 2 hours while i was sweating and furious to talk to me about how science is changing, and computers

Members don't see this ad :)
So you didn’t get 100 on a 5th graders’ exam? That’s kind of sad, OP.

Reactions: 6 users
I took my biology exam today. And in my lecture hall I finished first (out of 200 people). After walking out of lecture hall, I looked, and I selected the wrong answers accidentally for 4-5 questions which I clearly could have gotten the answer correct..

Now here I am demoralized, and pissed. What can I do now? First exam is worth 15 percent.

it also bothers me the exam was written in a 5th grade level, and most people in my class are incompetent. i feel a great amount of rage inside me right now

I know the class is incompetent and stupid because the average should fall around a 70 when realistically for a science class a test like this should yield results around an 85.

I'm very lost. You're upset that the exam was so easy? And therefore tricked you into getting the wrong answers?

Sounds like excuses to me.

I'm very lost. You're upset that the exam was so easy? And therefore tricked you into getting the wrong answers?

Sounds like excuses to me.
NO. I basically rushed the exam, and selected the wrong answers when I knew them. Instead of putting A down, I put B. Then while walking out, face palm, "OH ****. IT WAS A"

NO. I basically rushed the exam, and selected the wrong answers when I knew them. Instead of putting A down, I put B. Then while walking out, face palm, "OH ****. IT WAS A"

Right. So you should have taken the time to check your work.

I don't understand why the exam being so easy is an issue here?

Reactions: 5 users
1. Take a deep breath
2. Take another deep breath
3. If this test was so easy, why did you get answers wrong? Either you're rushing through it too quickly or you don't understand the material as well as you think you do.
4. I had a lot of professors who aimed for 75 averages on exams, it's not uncommon or unreasonable. Not great for neurotic premeds maybe, but not unreasonable. an average of 85 probably means the test was too easy.
5. Take one more deep breath, get off SDN, and go talk to someone about your feelings.

Reactions: 1 users
See, that's why I'm beating myself up. The exam was written at a 5th grade level. Supposedly the average should fall around a 60-70. So, if I fall on average, or a little above, I will be pissed. I knew the answers, I went too fast and turned my exam in. Just stupid mistakes on my end.
Let me rewrite your story for you:
I wanted to look like a boss finishing an exam in 5 min and walking out in front of 200 people who will stare at me drooling with envy. But I actually screwed up the exam for being a cocky human being.

Reactions: 16 users
I wanted to look like a boss finishing an exam in 5 min and walking out in front of 200 people who will stare at me drooling with envy. But I actually screwed up the exam.
So are you one of those people who are content with scoring average on mediocre exams or what ever mediocre UG you attend?

Last edited:
I know you're upset... but that's no excuse. If its 5th grade level and you made a mistake then you need to learn from your mistake and make sure it doesn't happen irregardless of the class or the quizzes. Don't look at this as something associated with the entire class. Look at this as self-improvement. It doesn't matter if you finish first if you screw up 5 questions. Coming first and making mistakes if worst than coming in the middle with a perfect score. Don't let pride or ego get in the way. I, myself, was very prideful of finishing first on exams but I payed DEARLY for it because I was not learning and memorizing things. Don't worry about the class or the class average, just focus on the material and improving yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
So are you one of those people who are content with scoring average on mediocre exams or what ever mediocre UG you attend?
Nah, just someone who’s admitted to a Top10 MSTP program.

Reactions: 16 users
The rapid decline of this thread, while not unexpected, is impressive. Now accepting bets on how much longer it will continue before a lock or a ban...

My God, you are going to be depressed in medical school bud.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread is rapidly turning into SDN gold

I don't understand how their are kids like this who have grown up without their parents teaching them how to be a decent person instead of spouting off this arrogant dribble.

I don't particularly care why. But if it's that easy then you have no excuse to not have a perfect score.

This is all on you, not the class or the professor.
Yeah thank you for noting the obvious that’s why I’m extremely irritated right now.

OP, I understand how you feel. I still do the same thing even during med school, and it's usually 1-2 questions per exam. It's test taking strategies. Try your best to eliminate each answer choices before moving on (no matter how easy), don't read the questions too fast (because you think it's easy) and do what you have to do to double-check your bubbling.

On our first practical, a guy bubbled in one spaces off the station number and got sub 20%. It happens.

Reactions: 1 user

Everyone makes mistakes, kid. Its best that you learn how to accept that you are in fact human now, or else you are in for a rude awakening once you start applying to schools. I can just see this now on your personal statement: "My first test in bio was so easy, and all of my classmates couldn't help but admire my superior intellect after having finished the exam in five minutes. However, despite my omniscience and expedient testing ability, I knew I missed 5 questions. Distraught, I sought to pray to the SDN gods for advice. Although I knew they were plebeians that attended subpar undergraduate schools with high rates of grade inflation."

DUDE - Take a deep breath and LEARN something from this.

You let hubris get the better of you and are now suffering for it. That's a valuable lesson if you choose to learn it. Now grow some humility and move forward with a little more wisdom.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread appears to mostly be a venting thread, with a question tacked on. To answer your question, it sounds like you already know: there is probably nothing you can do about the test you have already taken and submitted. Moving forward, you can just do better, and always check your answers at the end of a test if you have time.

It sounds like people are being generous and assuming you actually want to learn from this.

But based on your writing, you're just fine academically, and probably already understand what to do to prevent this in the future. It seems to me like you posted this thread to humblebrag: "I am usually better than everyone else, but on this test I accidentally wasn't better than everyone else because of a stupid mistake (so really I am still better than everyone else but just FYI I made a stupid mistake so it won't be reflected on this test grade). Great, now we know. Close call.

You might not realize it, but that is really what it seems like based on your writing. If you were actually smart enough to understand the process of premed, you would understand that your grade on this test (which you've made clear is still going to be above average) simply doesn't matter that much. If you were self aware enough to understand why you are sharing this, you might consider pursuing some mentality changes that include realizing how not-better-than-everyone-else you are, and how harmful your (likely) current perspective can be.

Reactions: 1 user
DUDE - Take a deep breath and LEARN something from this.

You let hubris get the better of you and are now suffering for it. That's a valuable lesson if you choose to learn it. Now grow some humility and move forward with a little more wisdom.
I doubt OP’s capable of such a drastic personality change judging from his responses on this thread. But then again, what do I know, I’m just an inferior plebeian who went to a subpar UG where all classes get automatically curved to an A.

Last edited:
zGHQb4O.gif

Reactions: 12 users
And this is a lesson about arrogance best learned as a college Freshman rather than a resident who just botched a surgery. Be glad it was only a test and not people's lives.

OP — finishing first means NOTHING. Please learn this sooner rather than later.

I was always, always the last one to finish in every. single. test. I re-read every question like 4 times in every. single. test. I also graduated with a 3.96cum and 4.0 science GPA. Take that as you will.

Reactions: 7 users
I wanted to look like a boss finishing an exam in 5 min and walking out in front of 200 people who will stare at me drooling with envy. But I actually screwed up the exam for being a cocky human being.
Nah, just someone who’s admitted to a Top10 MSTP program.
Wow congratulations! Which grade inflating UG did you attend?
I go to an engineering school. There is grade deflation.

This is first-ballot SDN hall of fame material

OP will work up a pt, diagnose and treat in "5 min" then realize he made a mistake, pt dies and OP gets pissed because the pt is dumb and presented "too easy" for him. learn something from this for everyones sake man

Reactions: 7 users
I'll just ace the next exam. This is just pissing me off. The lab quizzes are harder than this material. I'm furious right now

Then I went to office hours and my professor kept me there for 2 hours while i was sweating and furious to talk to me about how science is changing, and computers
Ummmm......lol

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.