Messenger Bags?

Started by CaliCPhT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaliCPhT

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone carries a messenger bag for books? I am getting this one with a laptop sleeve, and it has room to carry some books too. Just wondering about the functionality of it. Currently, I carry a backpack with a laptop compartment, and I'm really tired of representing Microsoft (it's a bag my husband brought home from a MS conference).

4_f_pl-rs-pl.jpg


I'm girlie, so I like the pink and purple!
 
The thing I don't like about those kinds of bags is the weight is always on one shoulder rather than spread out. I know a lot of people use them though, so its really a personally preference. I like the colors!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ur gonna miss ur backpack later on... i've carried so many diff kind of bags im now back to backpack..everything else hurts my back!
 
I carry a Tumi messenger bag, but wear it across my chest. They make certain lines with a new gelfoam padding (might be advertising) that is supposed to distribute the weight well over the entire strap.
 
if you have no problem carrying over one shoulder, i think it's perfectly fine 🙂 however, i personally don't like it because my shoulders don't carry heavy weight very well.. let alone having all that weight on just one shoulder! 😛
 
I carry a Tumi messenger bag, but wear it across my chest. They make certain lines with a new gelfoam padding (might be advertising) that is supposed to distribute the weight well over the entire strap.

haha dang baller!

I have an old BR messenger bag. You can't/shouldn't carry too much in one. The most I've carried comfortably is a few notebooks, pens, etc... MAYBE a lightweight laptop. I use it when I know I can pack light, but if it's a night at the library, I'll use a backpack.
 
I have carried a messenger bag for a little over one year... a chiropractor told me that my allignment is out of wack due to putting the wieght only on one shoulder.


You're a girl... a lot of girls at my school use the bookbags on wheels!!
I think one day I will put my masculinity asside and use a rolling bookbag!

I hope this helps.
 
I have carried a messenger bag for a little over one year... a chiropractor told me that my allignment is out of wack due to putting the wieght only on one shoulder.


You're a girl... a lot of girls at my school use the bookbags on wheels!!
I think one day I will put my masculinity asside and use a rolling bookbag!

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. I was worried about the alignment thing too. We got a discount on the bag, so I'll give it a try and see how it works. I was going to get a wheelie bag, but they are such a trip hazard for others and I really don't like them. I can't tell you how many times I've almost tripped over someone's bag on public transit. Functionality wise, the rolling bags are the best for your back, I will agree. If people could learn to use them responsibly, maybe it would be better. 😛
 
I carry a messenger bag, but I think it might depend a lot on how many books/binders you think you will be toting around in addition to your laptop, and how far you might be carrying things from your car. I'm on a very small (geographically) campus, so I'm not carrying anything too far, and I've had virtually no classes where I had to carry a textbook in addition to my notes.
 
Just wondering if anyone carries a messenger bag for books? I am getting this one with a laptop sleeve, and it has room to carry some books too. Just wondering about the functionality of it. Currently, I carry a backpack with a laptop compartment, and I'm really tired of representing Microsoft (it's a bag my husband brought home from a MS conference).

4_f_pl-rs-pl.jpg


I'm girlie, so I like the pink and purple!

Used a messenger bag for a couple of years. Hated it, hated it and hated it. I could never find anything in the darned thing because it really only had two large pockets. Finally, the strap broke and I spent another few months carrying it by its handle - threw it in the garbage after finals ended last spring.

I'm back to a backpack with a laptop section. I'm much more organized and less frustrated. Not to mention that a backpack works best on a bike - the messenger does not (in spite of its name).
 
I agree, when I started back to school this semsester my sister gave me her book bag (which is a messenger bag) and it is really umcomfortable to carry around my Chem book and Calc book along with 2 notebooks and a binder. It's so uncomfortable that it makes me angry and start cussing in my head as I walk to class...lol. Seriously. I definitely want a back pack now...in fact I kind of want one that rolls but I would feel kind of weird with a rolling bag. I don't know why I even care though.