Messenger Bags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliCPhT

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone carries a messenger bag for books? I am getting this one with a laptop sleeve, and it has room to carry some books too. Just wondering about the functionality of it. Currently, I carry a backpack with a laptop compartment, and I'm really tired of representing Microsoft (it's a bag my husband brought home from a MS conference).

4_f_pl-rs-pl.jpg

I'm girlie, so I like the pink and purple!

Members don't see this ad.

The thing I don't like about those kinds of bags is the weight is always on one shoulder rather than spread out. I know a lot of people use them though, so its really a personally preference. I like the colors!

I like tote bags, because they have easier access- no zippers.

Members don't see this ad :)
ur gonna miss ur backpack later on... i've carried so many diff kind of bags im now back to backpack..everything else hurts my back!

I carry a Tumi messenger bag, but wear it across my chest. They make certain lines with a new gelfoam padding (might be advertising) that is supposed to distribute the weight well over the entire strap.

if you have no problem carrying over one shoulder, i think it's perfectly fine :) however, i personally don't like it because my shoulders don't carry heavy weight very well.. let alone having all that weight on just one shoulder! :p

I carry a Tumi messenger bag, but wear it across my chest. They make certain lines with a new gelfoam padding (might be advertising) that is supposed to distribute the weight well over the entire strap.

haha dang baller!

I have an old BR messenger bag. You can't/shouldn't carry too much in one. The most I've carried comfortably is a few notebooks, pens, etc... MAYBE a lightweight laptop. I use it when I know I can pack light, but if it's a night at the library, I'll use a backpack.

I have carried a messenger bag for a little over one year... a chiropractor told me that my allignment is out of wack due to putting the wieght only on one shoulder.

You're a girl... a lot of girls at my school use the bookbags on wheels!!
I think one day I will put my masculinity asside and use a rolling bookbag!

I hope this helps.

I have carried a messenger bag for a little over one year... a chiropractor told me that my allignment is out of wack due to putting the wieght only on one shoulder.

You're a girl... a lot of girls at my school use the bookbags on wheels!!
I think one day I will put my masculinity asside and use a rolling bookbag!

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. I was worried about the alignment thing too. We got a discount on the bag, so I'll give it a try and see how it works. I was going to get a wheelie bag, but they are such a trip hazard for others and I really don't like them. I can't tell you how many times I've almost tripped over someone's bag on public transit. Functionality wise, the rolling bags are the best for your back, I will agree. If people could learn to use them responsibly, maybe it would be better. :p

I carry a messenger bag, but I think it might depend a lot on how many books/binders you think you will be toting around in addition to your laptop, and how far you might be carrying things from your car. I'm on a very small (geographically) campus, so I'm not carrying anything too far, and I've had virtually no classes where I had to carry a textbook in addition to my notes.

i'll just carry a lunch bag and sit next to a note taking buddie

Just wondering if anyone carries a messenger bag for books? I am getting this one with a laptop sleeve, and it has room to carry some books too. Just wondering about the functionality of it. Currently, I carry a backpack with a laptop compartment, and I'm really tired of representing Microsoft (it's a bag my husband brought home from a MS conference).

4_f_pl-rs-pl.jpg

I'm girlie, so I like the pink and purple!

Used a messenger bag for a couple of years. Hated it, hated it and hated it. I could never find anything in the darned thing because it really only had two large pockets. Finally, the strap broke and I spent another few months carrying it by its handle - threw it in the garbage after finals ended last spring.

I'm back to a backpack with a laptop section. I'm much more organized and less frustrated. Not to mention that a backpack works best on a bike - the messenger does not (in spite of its name).

I agree, when I started back to school this semsester my sister gave me her book bag (which is a messenger bag) and it is really umcomfortable to carry around my Chem book and Calc book along with 2 notebooks and a binder. It's so uncomfortable that it makes me angry and start cussing in my head as I walk to class...lol. Seriously. I definitely want a back pack now...in fact I kind of want one that rolls but I would feel kind of weird with a rolling bag. I don't know why I even care though.