Meth and Anesthesia

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by getdown, Oct 3, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. getdown

getdown 5+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Hello all, I am hoping you all can help answer this question I have.

Recently saw a relatively young, healthy patient for elective orthopedic surgery who has been abusing meth for some time. He actually denied it but utox was positive. Now, we all know that the concern with chronic meth use is catecholamine depletion and the associated refractory hypotension and possibly even cardiac arrest on induction. So we would do pre-induction a-line, use direct acting pressors, etc etc. My questions is with elective surgeries, is there a length of time that you would have them wait from their last meth use to potentially allow for the catecholamine stores to build back up? I've tried looking online but it seems pretty varied from several days to several weeks but no consensus. Maybe those that have been practicing a while may have some input? Thanks a bunch.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Twiggidy

Twiggidy ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2015
    I'm not sure there is evidence to delay. The fact is that a person using meth will probably keep doing meth so I think the way you approached the case was fine to get it done and let that person get on with their life. The chances the patient returns having used meth are high. At the point the question is does the ortho want to keep dealing with it. You could do the ortho a solid by getting the case done so may he/she can get that patient away from his practice. Just shooting from the hip, but that's how I'd probably approach it

nimbus likes this.
  4. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2005
    So because he won’t stop using meth we must proceed with elective surgery?

njtrimed and FFP like this.
  5. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    i honestly have no idea. I'm just saying I'd probably do it to get it done with and just fight his pressure in the OR. I think the OP's plan of action was appropriate. Although I didn't ask what the ortho procedure is. maybe a block could be used.

6. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Half our trauma patients are on meth. They do fine. To quote a recent Nobel laureate, don't think twice it's alright. Preinduction aline in an otherwise healthy meth addict is overkill.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    PainDrain and JobsFan like this.
  7. JobsFan

JobsFan 10+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2005
    australia
    just be gentle with the induction doses and have a pressor handy ... that is all i'd do. art lines don't help you to avoid hypotension, they just let you know it's happened (but you know it'll happen anyway)

8. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they? SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Elective case, tox screen positive for meth or cocaine: cancel. Every time.

9. Fluffhead87

Fluffhead87 5+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2011
    From a different perspective - someone with a urine tox positive for meth throws a huge wrench into the informed consent aspect.

GeorgiaPhDCRNA and FFP like this.
  10. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Keeping the Forces of Entropy at Bay 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Closer to Mexico
  11. sigrhoillusion

sigrhoillusion ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2014
    I'd probably postpone for a purely elective case. I would get an EKG though before any case because of QT prolongation. Could just imagine the ambulance chasing attorney salivating at any post-op complications.

12. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    Everyday when I consider quitting SDN, SaltyDog comes and pulls me back in. :bow:

13. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    This thread is actually interesting (vs the alt right threads lingering around here).

We don't tox screen all our patients and all our patients definitely aren't saints, so it's interesting this guy would be postponed. Even when the surgeon tells me "This guy has a history of drug use" we don't tox screen them. In the words of Sheldon Cooper, "fascinating".

nimbus likes this.
  14. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006
    ACE-I/ARB's are more likely to cause refractory hypotension and we don't cancel patients who forget to stop taking those. Positive meth Utox.....meh. We have so many, we'd be cancelling half our after hours fractures, rectal foreign body extractions, ectopics, and abscesses. Same for all the other positive Utox's.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  15. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

May 30, 2005
    Canton GA
    Elective vs emergency?

16. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006

Not emergencies. 90% of those cases could wait til the next day but we just get them done and get the patients out of the hospital asap.

Twiggidy likes this.
  17. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Keeping the Forces of Entropy at Bay 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Closer to Mexico
    Aww come on Twig, you can't go - we need you around here to keep things more . . . colorful? ;)

Inspired by your posts in all the politics/race threads, I found you a theme song:

18. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

19. JobsFan

JobsFan 10+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2005
    australia
    I sure woulD miss your voice of reason

20. Noyac

Jun 20, 2005
    We don’t either but I’ve had some that should have been postponed. They need haldol to wake up safely and not only safely for the pt but for the staff as well. I’d rather not have to do that.

21. Noyac

Jun 20, 2005
    Those are not exactly elective cases tho

FFP likes this.
  22. FFP

FFP Grunt, cog, body, pompous ass Gold Donor 10+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Big point here. If something goes wrong, they can always argue they weren't consentable. Actually, this is exactly the angle I use when I approach the surgeon, before arguing the physiologic aspects (which they consider anesthesia whining until they see one near miss).

23. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006

They're not all emergencies either. Fractures and abscesses can generally wait if there's a need. And we do wait for npo and medical optimization. How long would you wait? I've never repeated a utox on someone who was utox+ on admission. Do you retest and wait for the tox screen to be negative? I've never heard of anyone doing that. I haven't actually seen this catecholamine depletion either and I do a lot of anesthesia on tweakers. There's a good chance the OP's case will never be done if they demand a clean tox screen before proceeding. Maybe that's okay.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  24. ranvier

ranvier I can't anesthetize a rumor. 10+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Make it an E and be done with it.

ZzzPlz likes this.
  25. FFP

FFP Grunt, cog, body, pompous ass Gold Donor 10+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    That's the surgeon's job. If they tell me it's an emergency (and why), I document and we go.