Meth Rots Teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenniemd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050206/D8834UUG0.html

Meth Addiction Leading to Rotting Teeth

Email this Story

Feb 6, 12:10 PM (ET)

By MATT SEDENSKY

(AP) Inmate Bryan Rogers shows where he had to have several teeth pulled at the Maryville Treatment...
Full Image

MARYVILLE, Mo. (AP) - The growing use of highly addictive methamphetamine throughout the country is creating a prominent scar on an increasing number of users - rotting, brittle teeth that seem to crumble from their mouths.

Methamphetamine can be made with a horrid mix of substances, including over-the-counter cold medicine, fertilizer, battery acid and hydrogen peroxide. Together, the chemicals reduce a user's saliva, which neutralizes acids and physically clears food from the teeth, said Dr. Eric Curtis, an Arizona-based spokesman for the Academy of General Dentistry.

"When the saliva isn't flowing, the bacteria build up a lot faster," said Dr. Darrell Morton, an Atlanta dentist.

Jeffery Lotshaw flossed regularly. He brushed faithfully, sometimes four or five times in a day.

All that care makes his condition seem incomprehensible - at the age of just 33, Lotshaw's grin is toothless. His teeth all broke apart, tarnished with yellow and black.

"Before I started doing meth, I didn't have a cavity in my head," said Lotshaw, imprisoned on drug charges at Missouri's Maryville Treatment Center.

Meth users also may neglect their teeth, or moisten their dry mouths with high-sugar drinks, and anxiety caused by the drug prompts them to grind their teeth, which speeds decay.

The problem is particularly noticeable among inmates, whose oral problems have some prison systems struggling to provide dental care.

"They're rotting teeth, missing teeth, rotting way into the gums," said Kathy Bachmeier, the head of medical services for North Dakota's prisons. "It's ugly."

(AP) Inmate Jeffery Lotshaw flashes his toothless smile at the Maryville Treatment Center in Maryville ,...
Full Image

There are no statistics on "meth mouth" - as the condition has come to be known - because addicts are sometimes reluctant to admit their drug use and because it is difficult to distinguish between damage done by bad dental hygiene and that caused by narcotics. But there are signs it is on the rise around the country.

The head of the company in charge of dental care for Missouri inmates says he is seeing teeth rotted by meth use nearly every day. In North Dakota, the number of days a dentist was serving inmates jumped from 50 in 2000 to 78 in 2004. And the tab for inmates' dental care in Minnesota rose from $1.2 million five years ago to about $2 million last year.

"There are more and more urgent care needs, which pushes back routine care like cleanings," said Nanette Schroeder, director of health services for Minnesota's Corrections Department. "They're seeing just worse mouths, generally. This is really an emerging problem."

Missouri pays a company $7.50 per day per prisoner for health care, regardless of what's needed, so no major cost increase has been incurred.

"My dentists always opt for the best treatment we could offer our patients, as we would in private practice," said Dr. Ernest Jackson, whose Jefferson City-based company is in charge of dental care for Missouri prisons.

(AP) Still waiting for his dentures, inmate Jeffery Lotshaw shows his toothless mouth at the Maryville...
Full Image

But that philosophy isn't necessarily at play everywhere.

Schroeder said there's a constant juggling act between constitutional obligations to inmates, costs and the risk of lawsuits.

"Do we always think that it's fair to provide some services to our offender population that people on the outside might not get? Of course not," Schroeder said. "On the other hand, we have to balance that with the risk."

Bryan Rogers, another inmate at the Maryville facility, which is exclusively for convicts with drug problems, said he noticed other users' teeth were rotting but made sure he brushed regularly.

"I was always thinking that's not going to happen to me because I keep brushing," he said.

Rogers, 30, has had three teeth pulled since arriving at the prison in August, and he's awaiting a dental plate. Lotshaw's last 11 teeth have been removed since arriving, also in August, and he's waiting for dentures.

Lotshaw has been drug-free for more than five months, but there's no denying what is to blame for his empty mouth.

"It reminds me a lot of my addiction," he said.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This gets the big duh award. Common anhydrous and battery acid?!? How could it not rot your teeth. Better article here:My Addicted Son

Zurik5 said:
This gets the big duh award. Common anhydrous and battery acid?!? How could it not rot your teeth. Better article here:My Addicted Son

Thanks for the great article link!

Fullosseousflap said:
Thanks for the great article link!

No problem. Meth is a horrible drug. I know guys my age who have screwed up their entire life with the drug, and i'm only 23.

I hear the Feds are finally going to go after the importers of the chemical precursors!

Let us hope!

Fullosseousflap said:
I hear the Feds are finally going to go after the importers of the chemical precursors!

Let us hope!

How could they, isn't it like drain cleaner and your freindly neighborhood DieHard battery. I was thinking of starting up a new lab, my old trailer blew up and I need a new place to cook some up, anyone want to be partners.

I don't know what people have against crackwhores, they are always so purty.

There is a special investigative report, Unnecessary Epidemic, about Methamphetamine published by The Oregonian newspaper.

Read the first installment here.

YW

The stories are sad and outrageous!

Why the Feds are not doing more beats me.... seems they went after the chemical precursors of Ecstasy pretty quick! Perhaps you don't mess with the cold pill peeps!

I have written my Member of Congress and I will post what happens!

This is part two of the series which ran in the Oregonian newspaper last year. I have decided to publish the faces of Meth users to illustrate that these public policy discussions have human outcomes. These souls may be our fathers, mothers, daughters and/or sons.

Read the rest here.

Members don't see this ad :)
kenniemd said:
...it is difficult to distinguish between damage done by bad dental hygiene and that caused by narcotics.

As a leading prison dentist in my state, I can solve this mystery. It's all from the poor hygiene. I've seen cancer patients maintain their teeth after radiation in the face of xerostomia, why can't a meth head keep his teeth? Probably b/c his mamma used his toothbrush to scrub the rims supporting their house.

I especially like the meaningless testimonials in the article. "I brush my teeth 5 gazillion times an infinity times everyday and my teeth still rotted!" Every patient I talk to in the oral surgery clinic is religious about brushing their teeth. Funny how they tell me about their great oral hygiene regiment just before I PULL EVERY TOOTH IN THEIR HEAD.

tx oms said:
As a leading prison dentist in my state, I can solve this mystery. It's all from the poor hygiene. I've seen cancer patients maintain their teeth after radiation in the face of xerostomia, why can't a meth head keep his teeth? Probably b/c his mamma used his toothbrush to scrub the rims supporting their house.

I especially like the meaningless testimonials in the article. "I brush my teeth 5 gazillion times an infinity times everyday and my teeth still rotted!" Every patient I talk to in the oral surgery clinic is religious about brushing their teeth. Funny how they tell me about their great oral hygiene regiment just before I PULL EVERY TOOTH IN THEIR HEAD.
How about diet, general systemic health (e.g. diabetes, GERD)?

Meth devastates all body systems.

tx oms said:
As a leading prison dentist in my state...
:laugh:

tx oms said:
Funny how they tell me about their great oral hygiene regiment just before I PULL EVERY TOOTH IN THEIR HEAD.
I actually slicked a 26-year-old guy today and put in an immediate denture. He said, "I can't wait for my diddy to see my deentures. They look just like his."

toofache32 said:
I actually slicked a 26-year-old guy today

Personal best: 16y/o male

Fullosseousflap said:

Excellent oral hygiene/oral care negates all these. Sorry.

tx oms said:

Sorry, I do not agree and certainly not in all cases.

Do you have any evidence? Citations?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

tx oms said:

Ok,

Here is an abstract for you:

Caries Res. 2004 May-Jun;38(3):182-91. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Changing paradigms in concepts on dental caries: consequences for oral health care.

Fejerskov O.

Royal Dental College, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark. [email protected]

Kuhn proposed in his Structure of Scientific Revolutions (1962) that the theoretical framework of a science (paradigm) determines how each generation of researchers construes a causal sequence. Paradigm change is infrequent and revolutionary; thereafter previous knowledge and ideas become partially redundant. This paper discusses two paradigms central to cariology. The first concerns the most successful caries-preventive agent: fluoride. When it was thought that fluoride had to be present during tooth mineralisation to 'improve' the biological apatite and the 'caries resistance' of the teeth, systemic fluoride administration was necessary for maximum benefit. Caries reduction therefore had to be balanced against increasing dental fluorosis. The 'caries resistance' concept was shown to be erroneous 25 years ago, but the new paradigm is not yet fully adopted in public health dentistry, so we still await real breakthroughs in more effective use of fluorides for caries prevention. The second paradigm is that caries is a transmittable, infectious disease: even one caused by specific microorganisms. This paradigm would require caries prevention by vaccination, but there is evidence that caries is not a classical infectious disease. Rather it results from an ecological shift in the tooth-surface biofilm, leading to a mineral imbalance between plaque fluid and tooth and hence net loss of tooth mineral. Therefore, caries belongs to common 'complex' or 'multifactorial' diseases, such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, in which many genetic, environmental and behavioural risk factors interact. The paper emphasises how these paradigm changes raise new research questions which need to be addressed to make caries prevention and treatment more cost-effective. Copyright 2004 S. Karger AG, Basel

Publication Types:

* Review
* Review, Tutorial

PMID: 15153687 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

tx oms said:

Here is Featherstone's landmark caries paper in JADA (if you would like a reprint PM or e-mail me and I will e-mail it to you):

J Am Dent Assoc. 2000 Jul;131(7):887-99. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:

* J Am Dent Assoc. 2000 Dec;131(12):1674, 1676, 1678.
* J Am Dent Assoc. 2000 Dec;131(12):1678, 1680, 1682.

The science and practice of caries prevention.

Featherstone JD.

Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND AND OVERVIEW: Dental caries is a bacterially based disease. When it progresses, acid produced by bacterial action on dietary fermentable carbohydrates diffuses into the tooth and dissolves the carbonated hydroxyapatite mineral--a process called demineralization. Pathological factors including acidogenic bacteria (mutans streptococci and lactobacilli), salivary dysfunction, and dietary carbohydrates are related to caries progression. Protective factors--which include salivary calcium, phosphate and proteins, salivary flow, fluoride in saliva, and antibacterial components or agents--can balance, prevent or reverse dental caries. CONCLUSIONS: Caries progression or reversal is determined by the balance between protective and pathological factors. Fluoride, the key agent in battling caries, works primarily via topical mechanisms: inhibition of demineralization, enhancement of remineralization and inhibition of bacterial enzymes. CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Fluoride in drinking water and in fluoride-containing products reduces caries via these topical mechanisms. Antibacterial therapy must be used to combat a high bacterial challenge. For practical caries management and prevention or reversal of dental caries, the sum of the preventive factors must outweigh the pathological factors.

Publication Types:

* Review
* Review, Tutorial

PMID: 10916327 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Fullosseousflap,

Your first abstract does not even speak to prevention and has nothing to refute my claim. Your second abstract supports my claim: "For practical caries management and prevention or reversal of dental caries, the sum of the preventive factors must outweigh the pathological factors." Boss, I hate to break it to you, but the greatest preventive factor is oral hygiene/care. Therefore, excellent oral hygiene and care outweighs the pathological factors and prevents caries.

If PubMed abstracts are the measure of validity, let me give you one:

Oral Health Prev Dent. 2003;1(1):45-51.
Recommendations for the use of fluoride in caries prevention.

Zimmer S, Jahn KR, Barthel CR.

From a theoretical point of view, caries can be prevented by perfect oral hygiene and sugar abstinence. However, practice has shown that this approach is successful in individual cases only.

ownedbaby5kh.jpg

tx oms said:
Fullosseousflap,

Your first abstract does not even speak to prevention and has nothing to refute my claim. Your second abstract supports my claim: "For practical caries management and prevention or reversal of dental caries, the sum of the preventive factors must outweigh the pathological factors." Boss, I hate to break it to you, but the greatest preventive factor is oral hygiene/care. Therefore, excellent oral hygiene and care outweighs the pathological factors and prevents caries.

If PubMed abstracts are the measure of validity, let me give you some:

ownedbaby5kh.jpg

Nopers was not owned and your citation proves and/or demonstrates Nada!

But, I don't want to get into a TROLL argument match with you!

Soooo.... l will leave you to extract them and for me to restore them....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are the second person to use the "I take the high road therefore I win" arguement today. Citing articles in this context is useless seeing as you can find articles to support almost anything. Bottom line: in individual cases, oral hygiene and care can prevent decay. Period. If an irradiated cancer patient can do it so can a meth head.

tx oms said:
You are the second person to use the "I take the high road therefore I win" arguement today. Citing articles in this context is useless seeing as you can find articles to support almost anything. Bottom line: in individual cases, oral hygiene and care can prevent decay. Period. If an irradiated cancer patient can do it so can a meth head.

The more you post - the more my argument is sustained. Keep up the good work!

Irriadiated cancer patients obtain help too! What about fluoride? Synthetic/artifical saliva? Anti - Strep mutans Meds? Come On!

Have you ever treated a Meth addicted patient?

Plus meth is SOOO easy to make...at least now that i have had O-chem :D :cool: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

JamesD said:
Plus meth is SOOO easy to make...at least now that i have had O-chem :D :cool: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:
And not so easy to rehab!

Like about 15% are successful in kicking the addiction!

Fullosseousflap said:
Have you ever treated a Meth addicted patient?

Far more than you, I'm sure. I fail to see how your presumption of being correct makes up for your lack of an intelligent arguement.

What is your point?

That meth heads cannot avoid caries with oral hygiene? BTW, Fluoride and synthetic saliva would be part of an oral care/hygiene plan.

tx oms said:
Far more than you, I'm sure--unless you work in a prison? I fail to see how your presumption of being correct makes up for your lack of an intelligent arguement. What is your point? That meth heads cannot avoid caries with oral hygiene? BTW, Fluoride and synthetic saliva would be part of an oral care/hygiene plan.

Great Job! I guess if you can get it! Aren't you afraid of getting HIV? or Stabbed?

So, now you equivocate and add other factors.... well at least we are getting closer to consensus.

So, what do yo do with your inmate prisoners..... give them a toothbrush or just extract all of the teeth prophylactically like your state wants?

Oh, young grasshopper, you show so little understanding of that which you speak. Easy to make ignorant statements while typing from the back row of the DS1 lecture hall, isn't it? Let me know when you can find something wrong with what I said:
tx oms said:

You continue to be owned.

tx oms said:
Oh, young grasshopper, you show so little understanding of that which you speak. Easy to make ignorant statements while typing from the back row of the DS1 lecture hall, isn't it? Let me know when you can find something wrong with what I said:

You continue to be owned.

Why disprove an erroneous conclusion.

It is simply wrong!

And thanks for calling me young. You obviously did not read my profile.

So, what are you trying to say about Meth users? Go here and read the Oregonioan series about Methamphetamine.

Me thinks you are owned by your own trollness!

cjjenniferlundgrenafter.jpg

This is part three of the series which ran in the Oregonian newspaper last year. I have decided to publish the faces of Meth users to illustrate that these public policy discussions have human outcomes. These souls may be our fathers, mothers, daughters and/or sons.

If you would like to write your Congressman or Congresswoman, Senator, or the President regarding these issues please feel free. I will post easy links to facilitate correspondence.

Write your Representative here

Write the President and U.S. Senators from here.

Read the article here.

Fullosseousflap said:

Meth devastates all body systems.

I'm going to give you one more chance to make an arguement above the preschool level. Try to avoid words like "nopers". Let's go back to your original post as I can't seem to find a point to anything else you're saying. Are you taking the indefensible position that diabetes and GERD can overwhelm excellent oral hygiene/care? Please explain the pathophysiology involved, feel free to show off your PubMed skills.

If the multifactorial etiology of caries is so important, why not just stop brushing your teeth and focus on eating non-cariogenic foods? You know, since oral hygiene really can't prevent decay.

Finally, what am I suppose to write my congressman about? Correcting someone's poor life choices? Sounds like a pinko point of view to me.

tx oms said:
I'm going to give you one more chance to make an arguement above the preschool level. Try to avoid words like "nopers". Let's go back to your original post as I can't seem to find a point to anything else you're saying. Are you taking the indefensible position that diabetes and GERD can overwhelm excellent oral hygiene/care? Please explain the pathophysiology involved, feel free to show off your PubMed skills.

If the multifactorial etiology of caries is so important, why not just stop brushing your teeth and focus on eating non-cariogenic foods? You know, since oral hygiene really can't prevent decay.

Finally, what am I suppose to write my congressman about? Correcting someone's poor life choices? Sounds like a pinko point of view to me.

I've read the following discussion with disbelief and horror of the severe caries demostrated in these pictures. In all my experience with dentistry in the inner city I have never seen such a spectacular set of lower anteriors. I'm serious! fullosseousflap, I realized that you are a seasoned practitioner with extensive didacticallly gained knowledge of cariology, but I feel that you have become so advanced that the basic pathophysiology of this epidemic known as dental caries has escaped your memory.

Please allow me to refresh your memory of the 4 factors involved in the development of caries: Bacteria, substrate(sugar), tooth, and time. Please feel free to reference any D1. Unless there has been another landmark article that I wouldn't have read anyway, meth hasn't been added as a fifth factor. Simply adding methamphetamine to the equation of excellant oral hygiene and recall will not alter the development of caries in any patient. I do not deny the social affects that result from a life of addiction that include self neglect and poor body hygiene,(as shown in your above picture) Yes those skin lesions are not the result of some meth induced skin breakdown, but carbuncles likely the result of nose and butt picking and auto innoculation of of a zit or mosquito bite with bacteria from those sites. Just like with these skin lesions it is also true with the teeth, debridement and improved hygiene is the ultimate cure and further prevention of infection.

P.S. You were owned by tx oms. Your arguments are baseless and the articles you posted only served to support his argument.

tx oms said:

Did you take logic or philosophy in Undergrad? Obviously not since your logic defies reasoning.

You put a lot of words here that you attribute to me and I posted a few abstracts. Read the papers and maybe you would understand cariology - especially in the back row of your DS-1 dental anatomy class.

So, how is prison life? Slick a few homeys today?

Write your Congressman, Senator, President.... you bet.... read the Oregonian Series and you will understand why.

BTW I am pretty conservative. I would suggest you go to my sites listed on my profile but then again you don't understand anything I write anyway.

omfsres said:
I've read the following discussion with disbelief and horror of the severe caries demostrated in these pictures. In all my experience with dentistry in the inner city I have never seen such a spectacular set of lower anteriors. I'm serious! fullosseousflap, I realized that you are a seasoned practitioner with extensive didacticallly gained knowledge of cariology, but I feel that you have become so advanced that the basic pathophysiology of this epidemic known as dental caries has escaped your memory.

Please allow me to refresh your memory of the 4 factors involved in the development of caries: Bacteria, substrate(sugar), tooth, and time. Please feel free to reference any D1. Unless there has been another landmark article that I wouldn't have read anyway, meth hasn't been added as a fifth factor. Simply adding methamphetamine to the equation of excellant oral hygiene and recall will not alter the development of caries in any patient. I do not deny the social affects that result from a life of addiction that include self neglect and poor body hygiene,(as shown in your above picture) Yes those skin lesions are not the result of some meth induced skin breakdown, but carbuncles likely the result of nose and butt picking and auto innoculation of of a zit or mosquito bite with bacteria from those sites. Just like with these skin lesions it is also true with the teeth, debridement and improved hygiene is the ultimate cure and further prevention of infection.

P.S. You were owned by tx oms. Your arguments are baseless and the articles you posted only served to support his argument.

And what experience do you have with caries my dear boy?

I have been fighting caries for probably more years than you have been alive.

Give me a break.... and owned.... NO WAY!

Fullosseousflap, never mind. I started to reply, but after wasting a few minutes of my life on your web site I realized I'm speaking to a nut ball. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Damn, I've got to ask: what's with your anti-meth crusade? Did one of your kids get hooked?

tx oms said:
.... the greatest preventive factor is oral hygiene/care.

The teaching of my school backs this point of view up :thumbup: I agree 99.99% :D

tx oms said:
Fullosseousflap, never mind. I started to reply, but after wasting a few minutes of my life on your web site I realized I'm speaking to a nut ball. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Damn, I've got to ask: what's with your anti-meth crusade? Did one of your kids get hooked?

I have been trying to discover your point of view for post upon post. Talk about a waste of time.

You are Just a TROLL wanting to pick a fight.

So, how is prison life?

cjjameshibbsafter.jpg

This is part four of the series which ran in the Oregonian newspaper last year. I have decided to publish the faces of Meth users to illustrate that these public policy discussions have human outcomes. These souls may be our fathers, mothers, daughters and/or sons.

If you would like to write your Congressman or Congresswoman, Senator, or the President regarding these issues please feel free. I will post easy links to facilitate correspondence.

Write your Representative here.

Read the article here.

More sad news from the Times:
Story

This country has a real meth problem. Crazy stuff.

as covered by NPR:
A new government initiative in Kentucky works to fight homelessness by reducing substance abuse. Supporters say drugs and alcohol are the root cause of homelessness for thousands of people. But skeptics worry the initiative will divert money from other housing programs.

NPR link

cjestherallisonbefore.jpg

This is part five of the series which ran in the Oregonian newspaper last year. I have decided to publish the faces of Meth users to illustrate that these public policy discussions have human outcomes. These souls may be our fathers, mothers, daughters and/or sons.

Read the article here.

toofache32 said:
Inn2 said:
The teaching of my school backs this point of view up. I agree 99.99%
Ditto.
Fullosseousflap continues to be owned. It's getting embarrasing.

zurich5 said:
This country has a real meth problem. Crazy stuff.

Meth is a tragedy for the abuser, but I fail to see how the country has a problem with meth. The huge, overwhelming majority of people addicted to meth would not be productive members of society whether or not they used meth. If not meth it would be another drug or alcohol. Their meth addiction doesn't hold them back, it's their chronic history of poor life choices. The problem cannot ever be fixed by government.

tx oms said:

Meth is a tragedy for the abuser, but I fail to see how the country has a problem with meth. The huge, overwhelming majority of people addicted to meth would not be productive members of society whether or not they used meth. If not meth it would be another drug or alcohol. Their meth addiction doesn't hold them back, it's their chronic history of poor life choices. The problem cannot ever be fixed by government.

Please read the series....... and the government is slowly fixing some of the problems! But, they need to do more and they will if the public puts the pressure on them.

Remember the scourage of Meth has affected the Western U.S. more than the Midwest or East but it is slowly spreading out.

Supply side control will not fix everything but it is a good start.....

And read the post (go to the Indiana newspaper article) about the young girl murdred in Indiana a few posts ago. This is not a problem?

Forget about ownage.... this is real life and not Counter-Strike..... and I would own you there too.

tx oms said:

I completely disagree with you and am not going to get involved in your pissing contest with Fullosseousflap.

hayseedoriginalcopy7ia.jpg

This is part one of the series which ran in the Louisianan newspaper last year. I have decided to publish the faces of Nitrous Oxide users to illustrate that these public policy discussions have human outcomes. These souls may be our fathers, mothers, daughters and/or oral surgeons.

If you would like to write your Congressman or Congresswoman, Senator, or OMFSRES's mom regarding these issues please feel free. I will post easy links to facilitate correspondence.

Read the article here.

Status
Not open for further replies.