MGI Bill for civilian residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usnavdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any hard data on using your MGI bill for civilian residency? Navy PSD states you can but there is no mention of it on the VA website. I have talked to VA personell who stated for me to fill out the application but they werent sure about the dynamics.

1100 extra tax free per month will make the drop in salary transition so much easier.

navdoc

Members don't see this ad.

A few years ago, my Detailer told my student flight surgeon class that the G.I. Bill can be used for civilian residency. He also put this information on his website (but the website no longer exists, so I cannot show it to you). The G.I. Bill pays for college, technical schools, trade schools, etc. In a civilian residency, you're being trained to be board certified physician in a specific field (radiology, pediatrics, etc). Therefore, I agree the G.I. Bill should supplement your low civilian residency income because it goes along with the "spirit" of the G.I. Bill. But to be honest, I have not examined the "letter of the law" of the G.I. Bill. I've never researched that far into specifics.

Is there anyone on this website who used the G.I. Bill to supplement a civilian residency? If you have, please reply and tell us about your experience. Thanks!

usnavdoc said:
Anyone have any hard data on using your MGI bill for civilian residency? Navy PSD states you can but there is no mention of it on the VA website. I have talked to VA personell who stated for me to fill out the application but they werent sure about the dynamics.

1100 extra tax free per month will make the drop in salary transition so much easier.

navdoc

I agree with what your saying about the spirit of the bill.. My application is submitted electronically but I wont know about approval until I submit the start letter from the program which wont be till next year.

I am very interested to find this out because I havent purchased the GI bill supplemental package yet and would do so if this is s go.

nav