MGMA 2018 Data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baller2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second-year ophthalmology resident (frequent lurker) but now that I am getting ready to look for jobs, I was wondering if someone had access to MGMA 2018 median compensation for ophthalmologists.

I remember the MGMA 2015 data was about ~350k for general ophthalmologists and ~700k for retina.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m wondering about an update as well. This isn’t MGMA, but I did find this: Physician Compensation Report | Cejka Search

$305k - “medical”
$415k - “surgical”
$550k - “retina surgical”

Not entirely sure what the first two designations mean though.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a second-year ophthalmology resident (frequent lurker) but now that I am getting ready to look for jobs, I was wondering if someone had access to MGMA 2018 median compensation for ophthalmologists.

I remember the MGMA 2015 data was about ~350k for general ophthalmologists and ~700k for retina.

Your medical library very likely has a copy. Try emailing them, they may provide if you don’t want to go over.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s interesting. My library said they don’t have a copy. Could someone possibly PM me the numbers if they don’t feel comfortable sharing publically?

I see job postings saying “our compensation is at 75th percentile of MGMA” and it would be nice to know what that means lol.

Appreciate the help!!

Bump. This would be good information to have. Please PM me if anyone has the numbers.

Same, if someone could PM me as well... I don’t know why this seems to be some obscure secret... is there something against posting it?

So, what arw those numbers? Or is it still a 'secret'?

I heard those numbers are not accurate because doctors who make a lot like to brag.

I wouldn't say that. The MGMA, AMGA, Sullivan Cotter, etc surveys are pools of data gathered by admins of hospital systems based on current salaries they pay their docs. Theses aren't the self-reported surveys docs fill out on Medscape, etc. I imagine the reason they are so costly is that a ton of confidendial data has to be gleaned so hospitals and healthcare systems can base the compensation of their docs on them.

I wouldn't say that. The MGMA, AMGA, Sullivan Cotter, etc surveys are pools of data gathered by admins of hospital systems based on current salaries they pay their docs. Theses aren't the self-reported surveys docs fill out on Medscape, etc. I imagine the reason they are so costly is that a ton of confidendial data has to be gleaned so hospitals and healthcare systems can base the compensation of their docs on them.

Is the 2019 data even out yet? I can’t seem to find it.

I heard those numbers are not accurate because doctors who make a lot like to brag.

It's actually the opposite. Myself, as well as many other retina colleagues I know, felt it best not to report how much income we make

The median base salary on the 2019 MGMA (based on 2018 numbers) starting salary report for 1st year post residency or fellowship was $331,440 (50th percentile). By region median compensation was 360K in the Midwest, 275k in the South, and $305,720 in the West. You can gain access to these numbers by speaking with firms specializing in Physician contract reviews in your local area.

The median signing bonus was 25k, relocation reimbursement 12k, CME 3500/year

The median base salary on the 2019 MGMA (based on 2018 numbers) starting salary report for 1st year post residency or fellowship was $331,440 (50th percentile). By region median compensation was 360K in the Midwest, 275k in the South, and $305,720 in the West. You can gain access to these numbers by speaking with firms specializing in Physician contract reviews in your local area.

The median signing bonus was 25k, relocation reimbursement 12k, CME 3500/year

those #s seem high compared to this thread, no? Updated MGMA?

those #s seem high compared to this thread, no? Updated MGMA?

I've not read the data myself so not sure if true or not. Saying $341k is the starting salary does seem excessive. I've seen that high for cornea or retina but not general ophthalmology (unless salaried through a hospital.....but then, probably not much room for higher salary down the road).

As someone else said, you have to differentiate between starting salary and salary plus potential bonus. When I started, I took a job with a lower starting salary but a high potential with the bonuse structure. The harder I worked, the more chance I had to meet my bonus structure and make good money. Also, I knew the partners did very well and "my time was coming".

MGMA data will reflect the incomes of those who are paid based on the RVU system only. MGMA data is almost irrelevant when considering private practices unless you are wanting to see how much you could make versus a large healthcare type practice.

For large healthcare/hospital-based practices you will see base salaries around $300K-400K for a new resident. For a private practice (more dependent on location) you will see them in the $200K-$275K area. Both have potential for bonuses.