MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHA1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MHA or MBA only, no MPH, use the MPH thread

Follow this format:

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major
GRE:
Major:
Applied:
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School: Big Public State University
GPA: 3.6 Cumulative, 3.6 Major (Took microecon, accounting, and stats, got an A in all 3)
GRE: 299 Total, 155 Verbal (67%), 144 Quantitative (18%), 4.0 Writing (56%)
Major: Health Science Major (Not Pre Med)
Applied: (All CAHME Residential MHA) UNF, UF, UNC Chapel, JHU, UAB
Interview: UF (1/26), UAB (1/16)
Waitlist: UF (2/4), UF (4/10) 2nd Interview to get off wait-list
Rejected: UAB (1/30), JHU (12/29), UNC Chapel (2/18)
Accepted: UNF (10/16), UF (4/14)
Attending: UF - University of Florida (4/14)

Had 2-3 years of decent work experience that was non hospital, but somewhat clinical in nature

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Speech Language, and Hearing Sciences
GRE: not the best scores
Applied: UNT, UCF, USF, TxState, TX A&M, UIC
Accepted: UCF (12/19), TxState(4/28), TX A&M(6/1)
Rejected:
UNT, USF

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: The Ohio State University
Undergrad GPA: 2.95
Major/Minor: Biology
GRE: 1220: 480 Verbal (54%), 740 Quantitative (71%), 4.0 Writing (56%)

3 Years of experience at Northwestern Memorial Hospital

Applied: (All completed HAMPCAS 10/31) Ohio State, UAB, University of Illinois at Chicago, Georgetown
Accepted: UIC(12/4), Georgetown (2/12)
Interview: UAB (4/17)
Rejected: OSU (2/17) UAB (4/21)

Attending: UIC

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Georgia Southern University
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Political Science/Health Education & Promotion
GRE: Q-145, V-162, AW-5
Internships with Congressman in DC focusing on healthcare legislation, and as an administrative intern in a hospital this past summer

Applied: VCU, UMN, USC (California and Carolina), Tulane
Interview: UMN (11/21)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Eastern Kentucky University
Undergrad GPA: 3.83 cumulative (3.94 in major)
Major/Minor: B.S. in Health Services Administration with a concentration in Informatics
GRE: Q-155, V-161, AW-4.0

Disabled veteran, went to school while working for a Fortune 500 corporation full-time in Finance, now employed as an Analyst at Johns Hopkins Health System. 25 yrs. old. RHIA credentialed, working on PMP - should have before Fall 2015.

Applied: Johns Hopkins MHA & Johns Hopkins MBA 9/16
Accepted: Johns Hopkins MHA 12/19 & Johns Hopkins MBA 11/20
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: San Francisco State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.68
Major/Minor: Bachelors of Arts in Liberal Studies with a minor in Health Education
GRE: V 154 (63%), Q 150 (40%), and A 4.0 (56%)

1yr Americorps VISTA position as SNAP Outreach Coordinator
7yrs experience in the legal field (file clerk, receptionist, administrative assistant)
1 summer fundraising volunteer for wellness center
2 summers Health Promoter for wellness center
1 summer as Weight control internship
1 year internship as Peer Nutrition Educator at my college
1 semester as a Spanish Language instructor to an elementary school class

Applied: Hunters College, Brown, UC Berkeley, North Carolina at Chapel Hill, San Diego State, UC Irvine, & UT at Houston.

Undergrad School: Saint John's University
Undergrad GPA: 3.32
GRE: N/A (the admission officers said the GRE is not needed for Master application)

In Spring of 2014 my parents divorced right before my finals and this affected my total grade average (it could have been around 3.5)

Experience in a hospital in Russia as a medical assistant, did research on Socioeconomic factors in in Moscow and connection to the development of Cardiovascular diseases (not published - was part of therapy course), volunteered at the NYEEI for 4 months, active volunteer at a Church Youth Organization, research assistant in Parkinson's disease research in College, office assistant at a medical office.
Russian and French tutor in College and Organic Chemistry volunteer tutor for the Chem. department
Fluent in French, Russian and English
Hopefully I will be accepted.

Applied: Brandeis University - the Heller School and NYU Wagner

Last edited:
Can't imagine them turning you away, bro. GL.

I appreciate that, JQH. I was very surprised to see an email from an admissions director in my inbox yesterday. She stated that she briefly looked over my application and invited me to an open house for the program to attend next week. She went so far as to state that if I was unable to make it, she was certain she would be seeing me later in the admissions process. They advertise application portfolio review times taking between 10 - 12 weeks after submission, so I'm taking that as a good sign of things to come I hope. I'll keep the board updated on any progress.

I've only applied to JHU... I felt kind of foolish putting all my eggs in one basket but after researching the other programs across the country I can't think of any program better suited to help me reach my professional goals than Johns Hopkins, so why bother applying elsewhere? I had nearly pressed submit on my SOPHAS application to Yale when I realized that even if I got accepted, I wouldn't want in at the cost of leaving Johns Hopkins. If you've never worked, researched, studied, or even visited this place... the moment you do so, you are forever ruined. The minds here are truly exceptional. It goes beyond the MHA, there are so many resources at your disposal here beyond Bloomberg. If you have the good fortune of ever working here, exposure to places such as the Armstrong Institute and the work they are doing on pioneering quality and performance improvement is just one of the multitude of examples of how Hopkins' administrative culture is permeated with the insatiable need for continuous improvement. Don't even get me started on all the things they are doing clinically, I'd be here for weeks if not months. Baltimore, however, takes some serious getting used to, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, any insight on Rush University's MHA program...???

According to US News rankings, it is highly regarded program and Rush University has a great medical school...that's the only info I have right now...if anyone got accepted there or applied to it or any other info...it would be helpful...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apply broadly and feel free to reach for schools you think you may not get into. Also make sure you are only applying to CAHME certified programs!

I am a first year at UNC and am very satisfied with my decision to attend. If anyone has questions regarding UNC, please feel free to reach out.

Undergrad GPA: 3.83
Major: Health Science - Concentration in Health Administration
Minor: Business Administration
GRE Scores: V: 159, Q: 161, W: 4.5

Applied: VCU, University of Minnesota, University of Washington, Saint Louis University, George Washington, UNC - Chapel Hill,
Interview: GWU (11/4), SLU (11/7), Minnesota (11/14), UWash (11/21), VCU (12/5), UHC (offered 1/20, withdrew)
Accepted: SLU (11/7), UMN (11/14), GW (11/26), VCU (12/5), UWash (12/15)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Already with the UMN interview dates? I know I'm a long-shot to get in, but I figured if they had gotten back to y'all then I should be getting some sort of word soon. Congrats btw

Already with the UMN interview dates? I know I'm a long-shot to get in, but I figured if they had gotten back to y'all then I should be getting some sort of word soon. Congrats btw
When was your application confirmed?? I got an email last Wednesday, which was different than the other schools that emailed me on a Friday.

When was your application confirmed?? I got an email last Wednesday, which was different than the other schools that emailed me on a Friday.

Confirmed by SOPHAS in early September. I should probably email someone at the school and make sure they got everything.

Confirmed by SOPHAS in early September. I should probably email someone at the school and make sure they got everything.
Yea, that's probably smart. I received a confirmation email from saying that they had received my application.

They got back to me today. Got an interview for Nov. 21!

Got acceptance to the Healthcare management and Policy MPA program at NYU Wagner for spring 2015 (GOT ACCEPTED WITHOUT THE GRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Good Luck to EVERYONE else

If anyone has columbia questions (about applying, etc) I was accepted last year! (Am currently in a deferral year so I start aug 2015 with yall

If you are a current MHA/MBA Health Admin student

I posted about this at length last year, but I would be very, very skeptical towards dual degrees. Here's my post from last year:

ALL ABOARD THE STRAIGHT TALK EXPRESS

Why would you want to do a dual degree? That's a really important question to have a good answer for, since at minimum it's another year of tuition and opportunity cost. Plenty of MHA graduates go straight into consulting and business roles without an MBA.

MBA degrees make sense under a couple of circumstances:

1) You have been with a company for a while and have risen through the ranks as far as you can go, and your company requires an MBA to rise further (someone with significant, significant work experience)

OR

2) You want to do top tier consulting (like McKinsey, Bain, et al) and they only hire out of the M7 programs (Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/Chicago/MIT/Northwestern/UC Berkley + Darthmouth and maybe Columbia)

Otherwise, candidly, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I wouldn't let that be a major selling point or a deciding factor unless you fit into category 1). An MBA from a non-M7 program without significant work experience won't open any doors that an MHA doesn't, and 'making yourself more marketable' isn't a great reason for an extra year of tuition and opportunity costs.

Hope that helps.

I would add two caveats to this

1) you are positive you want to do something with healthcare finance, but are extremely finance deficient AND you lack the ability to take serious finance electives without enrolling in b school (I can't imagine this is a set of circumstances that exists anywhere)
2) someone else is paying for it

But I have had people from Deloitte in a recruiting session say it doesn't give you a leg up in the healthcare consulting recruiting process. Dual degrees are a cash cow for universities and only make sense in an extremely narrow set of circumstances.

Last edited:
#1 If you are planning to live in or near Chicago after graduation then it would be a good idea.

#2 Also it is a private university, the cost of attendance will be much tremendously higher than a pubic university, I would contact them to help you calculate it.

If you are not okay with #1 and #2 then do not apply....

Rankings are not nearly as important as people would make them seem. USNews has a flawed ranking system, there are too many good schools to be squeezed into the top 10. You should look at the region of the country you are trying to work, and then apply to the best program that fits you in the region. There are many other factors: Class size, cost of living, the city/weather, tuition, length of program, internship placements, how many people have been placed at sought after fellowships, etc..... Choosing and attending a program solely on ranking is not the best idea.. The schools reputation/prestige will have the biggest effect in the surrounding area/state and where there are the most alumni which is typically close to the home state.

I would try to find a current rush student or alumni on linkedin and then send them a message for more inside info.

Good luck

Actually, I am applying as an international student & don't have any preference for any particular area for living after graduation. For international students, most public and private tuition fees are more or less the same. Rush attracted me because it has a great medical school...Other than that don't have any information...searching for current rush student or alumni on linkedin...that's a nice idea...thanks for helping...!!!

Got acceptance to the Healthcare management and Policy MPA program at NYU Wagner for spring 2015 (GOT ACCEPTED WITHOUT THE GRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Good Luck to EVERYONE else
Can I ask what your academic records were?
Or just the general information that people are providing up here. I am thinking of applying to NYU without the GREs

A school that doesn't require a standardized test score should be a red flag to you guys.

Can I ask what your academic records were?
Or just the general information that people are providing up here. I am thinking of applying to NYU without the GREs

Undergrad School: Saint John's University
Undergrad GPA: 3.32
GRE: N/A (the admission officers said the GRE is not needed for Master application)

In Spring of 2014 my parents divorced right before my finals and this affected my total grade average (it could have been around 3.5)

Experience in a hospital in Russia as a medical assistant, did research on Socioeconomic factors in in Moscow and connection to the development of Cardiovascular diseases (not published - was part of therapy course), volunteered at the NYEEI for 4 months, active volunteer at a Church Youth Organization, research assistant in Parkinson's disease research in College, office assistant at a medical office.
Russian and French tutor in College and Organic Chemistry volunteer tutor for the Chem. department
Fluent in French, Russian and English

Applied: Brandeis University - the Heller School and NYU Wagner

Accepted to NYU Wagner for Spring 2015.

Has anyone applied for Fall 2015 and heard back yet?

If anyone has columbia questions (about applying, etc) I was accepted last year! (Am currently in a deferral year so I start aug 2015 with yall

I was thinking about applying to Columbia but it seems like a long shot! Did they send you your acceptance early or was it during the standard February/March time?

Would everyone interviewing at UMN make a post talking about their experience/questions asked/etc.? Also, how long does it take? I'm having to catch a flight to Chicago at 1pm on the day of my interview, and am gonna feel like a real a-hole telling them that I have to leave early.

Undergrad School: The University of Edinburgh
Undergrad GPA: 3.25
Major/Minor: Social Policy
GRE: 150 Verbal. 142 Quant. 4.0 Writing

Applied: NYU, UC Berkeley

Anyone else here finding SOPHAS to be an absolute pain? Their instructions are so outdated, and contradict themselves!
I DO!!!!!!!!! (shakehands)

Undergrad School: The University of Edinburgh
Undergrad GPA: 3.25
Major/Minor: Social Policy
GRE: 150 Verbal. 142 Quant. 4.0 Writing

Applied: NYU, UC Berkeley

Anyone else here finding SOPHAS to be an absolute pain? Their instructions are so outdated, and contradict themselves!

YES, Absolutely...Damn complicated process...:arghh:

Hi all,

Really glad that someone put this thread together! Wishing everyone luck in advance! Here are my stats:

Undergrad School: University of Southern California
Undergrad GPA: 3.18 (Cumulative) and 3.35 (Major)
Major/Minor: BS Public Health/BA Spanish
GRE: Verbal - 163 (92%), Quant - 154 (57%), Writing - 6 (99%)

Worked in public health research for a leading academic hospital in Boston for ~2 years. Currently working in managed care developing clinical quality interventions for a Fortune 50 health insurer (~2 years).

Applied: Columbia, Yale, Hopkins, Cornell, UCLA, Berkeley, Boston U, UNC [Applied to all on 10/21]
Interview: Hopkins (11/21), Cornell (11/19), UNC (withdrew)
Accepted: Cornell (12/5 - declined), Hopkins (12/19), UCLA (1/27), Yale (1/29), Berkeley (2/9)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Boston U (withdrew)
Attending:

@justin22, I'm strongly considering Columbia (which I won't hear from for a while, I'm guessing), but I wanted to ask how the application process went for you and what made you choose that school? I sat in on a class (with Paul Thurman) and loved it, but other schools' curricula also sound stellar (like Hopkins'). I guess what I'm trying to ask is: what made Columbia stand out as compared to your other choices?

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Top public university
Undergrad GPA: 3.76 (Cumulative) and 4.00 (Major)
Major: Health Policy and Management, Minor: Chemistry
GRE: V-159 (81%), Q-164 (88%), W-5 (93%)

Hospital administrative internship at a major academic medical center this past summer, Research internship in major children's hospital, 4 years of hospital volunteering, currently interning doing health reform research and acting as a student consultant for an international NGO

Applied: Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell, Georgetown, George Washington, VCU, UAB and Rush - all officially completed 11/10
Interview: Johns Hopkins (12/1), Cornell (12/1), GWU (12/4), VCU (12/5), Columbia (2/10), Rush (Withdrew), UAB (Withdrew)
Accepted: GWU (12/4), VCU (12/5), Cornell (12/5), JHU (12/19), Georgetown (2/10), Columbia (3/13)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Attending: Johns Hopkins!

Last edited: