MPH / MSPH 2023: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like no one has received the decision email for Yale Executive MPH yet

I just wonder if everyone who applied to the program got an email from the course director Dr Martin Klein after submitting the application and whether that hinted your chance of getting admitted.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like no one has received the decision email for Yale Executive MPH yet

I just wonder if everyone who applied to the program got an email from the course director Dr Martin Klein after submitting the application and whether that hinted your chance of getting admitted.
I saw on a different forum where someone was already admitted for executive MPH. I asked during an admissions session and was told that Executive MPH applications are not reviewed separately and are a part of the same pool for all other MPH programs. Looks like the most recent people admitted last week submitted around Thanksgiving. Hopefully we’ll find out this week! 😁

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I haven’t gotten an admission to BU yet, but I got an email this morning saying “Welcome xx(my name).. and signed we look forward to meeting you on our BUSPH campus”. It’s signed the assistant dean of students but came from the Public health admissions office. Did anyone else get this email? Could this mean an acceptance? Sorry I might be overthinking things!

I saw on a different forum where someone was already admitted for executive MPH. I asked during an admissions session and was told that Executive MPH applications are not reviewed separately and are a part of the same pool for all other MPH programs. Looks like the most recent people admitted last week submitted around Thanksgiving. Hopefully we’ll find out this week!

Best of luck!

Hey, I haven’t gotten an admission to BU yet, but I got an email this morning saying “Welcome xx(my name).. and signed we look forward to meeting you on our BUSPH campus”. It’s signed the assistant dean of students but came from the Public health admissions office. Did anyone else get this email? Could this mean an acceptance? Sorry I might be overthinking things!
Hi! I got the same email. But 4 hours later I got another email for the acceptance offer, so I can't really tell if those 2 emails might be related or not. I suggest you to wait for the decision notification email to be sure (or maybe check the portal) :)

I got the same email on 1/29, but I received my admissions notice on 1/20 so like matchacheese I couldn't tell you if it was foreshadowing.

Hi! I got the same email. But 4 hours later I got another email for the acceptance offer, so I can't really tell if those 2 emails might be related or not. I suggest you to wait for the decision notification email to be sure (or maybe check the portal) :)
Thanks for the info! What portal are you guys using? The BU sophas one?

I saw on a different forum where someone was already admitted for executive MPH. I asked during an admissions session and was told that Executive MPH applications are not reviewed separately and are a part of the same pool for all other MPH programs. Looks like the most recent people admitted last week submitted around Thanksgiving. Hopefully we’ll find out this week! 😁
Seems like there's gonna be another week of waiting 😁

Undergraduate School/School type: MD outside US
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75
Major/minor:
Grad GPA (if applicable):
Grad studies (if applicable):
GRE(including date taken):
not taken

Experience/research:
- 2+ years experience as physician
- 4+ years experience of public health volunteering
- 1 year experience of professionally working for gov in public health
- did research on global health x road safety & experienced in RCT for covid vaccine

Letters of Rec: 4 letters (1 from my professor during medical school, 1 from the professor working with me in the RCT, 2 from boss at the clinics)

Interests: Global Health, Social and behavioral sciences

Applied: Johns Hopkins (11/30/22), Harvard (11/30/22), BU (1/4/23)
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/22/22), BU (2/1/23)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Attending:

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia is march 15th i believe & I got my JHU financial aid package with my admission- but I know some had to reach out to inquire more about it
Really? I contacted JHU and they said they don't start financial aid review till March. Wonder what that means for me :/

Undergraduate School/School type: highly ranked Big Ten school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.64/3.81
Major/minor: kinesiology, minor in sports studies
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Experience/research:
-undergraduate research assistant in a vascular physiology lab (10 hours/week for 18 months) conducting data collection, data analysis and journal reviews
-undergraduate research assistant in a exercise science lab (10 hours/week for 12 months) creating app-based interventions for chronically ill veterans. Also coordinated lab social media profiles, created a research website tailored to the specific population, assisted with drafting a manuscript.
-undergraduate athletic training assistant for a top 25 football program in the country (20 hours/week for a semester)
-clinical research coordinator for 11 studies at the top children’s hospital in the US. specific division is also regarded as best in the world. (current, full time employment for nearly 18 months)

Letters of Rec:
-program manager in current role, two world-renowned principal investigators in division whom I work closely with (letters will be very strong, I have good personal relationships with all three)

Interests: looking to earn my MPH in epidemiology with a focus on social determinants of health. Would love to work in chronic disease epidemiology, preferably autoimmune conditions and working to increase access to healthcare in low socioeconomic status communities.

Applied: UNC, BU, UPenn (interview 1/11), Drexel, Columbia, NYU, UMD, GWU, Vanderbilt (all applied 11/11 in epidemiology)
Accepted: GW + $20k (11/28), Drexel + $18k (12/14), Columbia (1/12), BU + 30% tuition (1/17), Vanderbilt (2/1), UNC (2/6)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Penn (1/31)
Attending:
Updating mine as I am almost finished with decisions for the cycle! Really grateful to have been accepted into so many wonderful schools!!! Waiting on NYU and aid from Columbia, UNC and Vanderbilt before I make a decision but am leaning towards NYU atm

Undergraduate School/School type: CUNY
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.8/4.0
Major/minor: Public Health Major & Political Science Minor
Did not take GRE

Experience/research:
- DOH Maternal Health Internship
- Public Policy Internship/Student Board of Director
- Civic Engagement Internship
- Nonprofit Public Health Internship (published research project)

Letters of Rec:
1. Head of Department of PH
2. Professor/Internship Advisor
3. Internship Boss (nonprofit)

Interests: Global Health/Human Rights/Women's Health/Sexual&Reproductive Health

Applied: Columbia, GWU, BU, NYU, LSHTM, University of Colorado, UofR
Accepted: Columbia Pop Fam (1/12), GWU (12/22), BU (1/19), University of Colorado (2/3), UofR (12/5), NYU (2/17)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
LSHTM (not enough experience)
Attending:

Last edited:
Hi All!

SDN was the most important resource for me back when I applied. This community was really what helped me stay afloat during the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with the cycle. I was also a low stats applicant, and didn't think I would get into my dream school or convince them of providing a partial scholarship-- so anything is possible!

I'm a current JHU student in the full-time MPH program. Happy to answer questions about:
  1. JHU's program
  2. How to negotiate school scholarships
  3. Applying as a low stats applicant
  4. Making school decisions
I've posted my stats and schools that I applied to in my signature. Wishing everyone luck and good vibes during this year's application cycle! :luck:

Reactions: 2 users
Hi All!

SDN was the most important resource for me back when I applied. This community was really what helped me stay afloat during the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with the cycle. I was also a low stats applicant, and didn't think I would get into my dream school or convince them of providing a partial scholarship-- so anything is possible!

I'm a current JHU student in the full-time MPH program. Happy to answer questions about:
  1. JHU's program
  2. How to negotiate school scholarships
  3. Applying as a low stats applicant
  4. Making school decisions
I've posted my stats and schools that I applied to in my signature. Wishing everyone luck and good vibes during this year's application cycle! :luck:
Hi Pwny, Any thoughts on negotiating scholarships? Thanks!

Anyone applying to Harvard MPH Generalist heard anything?
I applied to the MS Epi program at Harvard and haven't heard back. Historically it looks like they contact MS and MPH students about their status the day after presidents day, which is Tuesday next week. So fingers crossed!

Hi Pwny, Any thoughts on negotiating scholarships? Thanks!
Yes! It is helpful to use scholarship offers you received from previous schools to substantiate your case. You don't need to name the school, but you could refer to them as a "Top X program".

Most financial aid people will tell you that their hands are tied and that they are unable to offer funding or increase their offer. I threw a Hail Mary and ended up writing a letter to the Chair of my program explaining that they were my #1 choice, that finances were an issue, and that I had received a scholarship from another school but didn't want to make my decision based on finances alone. In that letter, I described what I could add to their community, why I wanted to go to their school, and what experiences I had that would make me a valuable graduate student. It basically was my personal statement, but much more... personal? The Chair was super receptive and put my application in with the scholarship committee. A few days letter, I received my scholarship offer.

I'm not advocating to write to all of your programs-- I think you first need to do research and see who would be understanding. Be courteous to all the admissions folks, keep in communication, and be persistent!

Yes! It is helpful to use scholarship offers you received from previous schools to substantiate your case. You don't need to name the school, but you could refer to them as a "Top X program".

Most financial aid people will tell you that their hands are tied and that they are unable to offer funding or increase their offer. I threw a Hail Mary and ended up writing a letter to the Chair of my program explaining that they were my #1 choice, that finances were an issue, and that I had received a scholarship from another school but didn't want to make my decision based on finances alone. In that letter, I described what I could add to their community, why I wanted to go to their school, and what experiences I had that would make me a valuable graduate student. It basically was my personal statement, but much more... personal? The Chair was super receptive and put my application in with the scholarship committee. A few days letter, I received my scholarship offer.

I'm not advocating to write to all of your programs-- I think you first need to do research and see who would be understanding. Be courteous to all the admissions folks, keep in communication, and be persistent!
Thanks, very helpful and great advice!

Hi all! Just wondering, has anyone heard back from Harvard yet? I know we were saying that potentially today would be when we would get notified.

Hi all! Just wondering, has anyone heard back from Harvard yet? I know we were saying that potentially today would be when we would get notified.
I got waitlisted for their online 45 generalist program about an hour ago!

Undergraduate School/School type: small East coast liberal arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/minor: Biology and Sociology/Anthropology double major
Grad GPA (if applicable): NA
Grad studies (if applicable): NA
GRE(including date taken): NA

Experience/research:
Summer internship doing health services research at UPenn, worked for the past three years at a social policy research firm. Doing mostly contract work for the government related to early childhood education, family support, child welfare, workforce development, education, and family planning.

Letters of Rec: 1 Letter of Rec from a project supervisor on the family planning project I work on, 1 Letter from an Anthropology professor who was also my undergraduate thesis advisor, and 1 Letter from my Developmental Biology professor.

Interests: Social Epidemiology, Urban Health, Environmental Health, State or local health department work, Data infrastructure, Food Systems, Healthy cities.

Applied: Columbia Epi (November 2022), Harvard Health Policy (December 2022), Drexel Epi (January 2023), GW Epi (January 2023)
Accepted: Columbia 1/18, Drexel 1/19 +18K over 2 years, GW 2/10
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Attending:

Waiting for finaid from Columbia. I also applied to the HRSA scholarship from GW but haven't heard back about interviewing (which would start on the 24th) so not feeling great about that.

I applied for Global Health 45 & haven't heard back. Been very anxious about this, hopefully it'll be soon..

Just got the admission to Harvard GH 45!

Undergraduate School/School type: MD outside US
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75
Major/minor:
not taken

Experience/research:
- 2+ years experience as physician
- 4+ years experience of public health volunteering
- 1 year experience of professionally working for gov in public health
- did research on global health x road safety & experienced in RCT for covid vaccine

Letters of Rec: 4 letters (1 from my professor during medical school, 1 from the professor working with me in the RCT, 2 from boss at the clinics)

Interests: Global Health, Social and behavioral sciences

Applied: Johns Hopkins (11/30/22), Harvard (11/30/22), BU (1/4/23)
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/22/22), BU (2/1/23)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Attending:
Congrats! I am planning to apply for MPH and MSPH, but I have a question: Will the admissions committee ding my application if my recommenders mention MPH when I’m applying to a MSPH program? Thanks

Congrats! I am planning to apply for MPH and MSPH, but I have a question: Will the admissions committee ding my application if my recommenders mention MPH when I’m applying to a MSPH program? Thanks
Thank you! I think that the admission would really notice such thing :( Because you're applying through SOPHAS, it is best to keep the letter general (not mentioning MPH/MSPH program) if you are applying to some schools with different programs.

Undergraduate School/School type: Small liberal arts school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.9
Major/minor: Computer Science
3rd year in medical school
GRE (including date taken):
Not taken

Experience/research:
- 2 internships at FAANG tech companies
- 1 internship at major cancer hospital
- Several healthcare software side-projects
- Self-published small book on mental health
- Several research papers, abstracts, posters

Letters of Rec: 3 letters, 2 from med school professors, 1 from college professors. All were probably very strong.

Interests: Mental health, technology

Applied: Columbia, Yale, Brown, Harvard, Penn, Dartmouth (all applied to on 12/1/22)
Accepted: Columbia (1/12/23), Yale (1/18/23), Brown (3/3/23), Harvard (2/16/23), Penn (+ faculty interview) (2/15/23), Dartmouth (+ alumni interview) (1/13/23)
Attending:
Harvard

Final thoughts:
It's been a pretty amazing experience. I was had terrible college apps applying to undergrad and ended up getting rejected to most schools I applied. I read a lot about the process and as I matured, I started to follow my authentic interests and see where they took me. I feel very blessed and fortunate and hope I can make the most of the opportunity I've been given to improve the health of people in our world.

Tips for applicants:
1. Pursue authentic interests. Find out what you like, preferably if its not something very general and nonspecific. Pursue that wholeheartedly and find a way to connect it to public health if you're authentically interested in the field.
2. Create a cohesive narrative in your application. Sum up yourself in a single sentence. Mine was "medical student interested in the intersection between mental health and technology". Everything in your application should be relevant and strengthen your summary statement. This may mean you have to remove aspects of your application that are notable and which you are personally proud of, but simply not relevant. That's okay. Everything has to be cohesive, however. It will make it easier for the reviewer to understand who you are (even if it isn't the full picture of who you are, all of us are far more than what our application can represent).
3. Don't bother checking application portals and obsess on when things come out. Easier said than done. But relax and let the process unfold, continue to follow your passions and do your thing.

Notified las week of Acceptance into Yale EMPH; was wondering if anyone had any experience with the programs/tips/pointers.

Thanks; and congratulations to everyone

Notified las week of Acceptance into Yale EMPH; was wondering if anyone had any experience with the programs/tips/pointers.

Thanks; and congratulations to everyone
I was accepted also and last Monday they had a session for accepted students. Some highlights:
  • Four Tracks: Epi, Critical Issues, Environmental, and Informatics, which is unique for an MPH program I have not seen it offered elsewhere. Tufts and JHU have separate informatics MS programs.
  • Tracks are three elective courses and you can take two tracks or one and mix and max for the other 3 electives.
  • They have three on-site intensives, Wed-Sun afternoon with a variety of classes and activities. This is an opportunity to meet you co-hort in-person and spend time on-campus.
  • You generally take two classes a semester. Each class requires 1 hour synchronous session. Personally I like that they do this and it is not a long 3 hour session.
  • The cohort is relatively more experienced with 12 years median work experience which can be a big plus.
  • I believe this will be their third class so they have ironed things out.
  • If you live in the Yale area, you can take classes at other Yale schools (Law, Business, etc.) with instructor approval. This is great but the down side is the other schools don't have online classes that remote people can attend as say, JHU has.
  • Overall I would say the program is great for people with more experience and and busy schedules who want more of a managerial/leadership perspective. They seem to be very flexible to accommodate work schedules.
  • I think it is a nice blend of in-person and synchronous while not being too onerous.
  • I view it as unique in that it is somewhat replicating executive MBA programs for more experienced people who are working full-time.
I hope this helps!

Grad studies (if applicable): 3rd year in medical school
GRE (including date taken): Not taken

Experience/research:

Letters of Rec: 3 letters, 2 from med school professors, 1 from college professors. All were probably very strong.

Applied: Columbia, Yale, Brown, Harvard, Penn, Dartmouth (all applied to on 12/1/22)
Accepted: Columbia (1/12/23), Yale (1/18/23), Brown (3/3/23), Harvard (2/16/23), Penn (+ faculty interview) (2/15/23), Dartmouth (+ alumni interview) (1/13/23)
Attending: Harvard

Final thoughts:
It's been a pretty amazing experience. I was had terrible college apps applying to undergrad and ended up getting rejected to most schools I applied. I read a lot about the process and as I matured, I started to follow my authentic interests and see where they took me. I feel very blessed and fortunate and hope I can make the most of the opportunity I've been given to improve the health of people in our world.

Tips for applicants:
1. Pursue authentic interests. Find out what you like, preferably if its not something very general and nonspecific. Pursue that wholeheartedly and find a way to connect it to public health if you're authentically interested in the field.
2. Create a cohesive narrative in your application. Sum up yourself in a single sentence. Mine was "medical student interested in the intersection between mental health and technology". Everything in your application should be relevant and strengthen your summary statement. This may mean you have to remove aspects of your application that are notable and which you are personally proud of, but simply not relevant. That's okay. Everything has to be cohesive, however. It will make it easier for the reviewer to understand who you are (even if it isn't the full picture of who you are, all of us are far more than what our application can represent).
3. Don't bother checking application portals and obsess on when things come out. Easier said than done. But relax and let the process unfold, continue to follow your passions and do your thing.
Congrats! Just curious, where would you have gone if not Harvard? I have similar acceptances- albeit I did not apply to Harvard. I'm have a difficult time picking a school, any thoughts?

Congrats! Just curious, where would you have gone if not Harvard? I have similar acceptances- albeit I did not apply to Harvard. I'm have a difficult time picking a school, any thoughts?
Probably Yale -> Penn -> Brown -> Dartmouth. Lots of different factors are important, such as location, scholarship, faculty etc. My best tip is to narrow down to two schools and then make a side by side pros and cons list. Very basic, I know, but it's quite effective. Good luck!

Grad studies (if applicable): 3rd year in medical school
GRE (including date taken): Not taken

Experience/research:

Attending: Harvard

Final thoughts:

Tips for applicants:
Can I ask why you didn't apply to Hopkins?

Hi everyone, I am a current student at Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health. I am a second year international student in the SMS department, with a certificate in Population Mental Health. This forum was of great help to me when I was applying and deciding where to study, so I thought I would return the favor and offer to help to anywone who needs it. I am happy to answer questions about any aspect of my experience at Columbia, whether related to the overall experience, my department, certificate or my experience as an international student.

Best of luck to anyone still waiting to hear back from schools!

I was accepted also and last Monday they had a session for accepted students. Some highlights:
  • Four Tracks: Epi, Critical Issues, Environmental, and Informatics, which is unique for an MPH program I have not seen it offered elsewhere. Tufts and JHU have separate informatics MS programs.
  • Tracks are three elective courses and you can take two tracks or one and mix and max for the other 3 electives.
  • They have three on-site intensives, Wed-Sun afternoon with a variety of classes and activities. This is an opportunity to meet you co-hort in-person and spend time on-campus.
  • You generally take two classes a semester. Each class requires 1 hour synchronous session. Personally I like that they do this and it is not a long 3 hour session.
  • The cohort is relatively more experienced with 12 years median work experience which can be a big plus.
  • I believe this will be their third class so they have ironed things out.
  • If you live in the Yale area, you can take classes at other Yale schools (Law, Business, etc.) with instructor approval. This is great but the down side is the other schools don't have online classes that remote people can attend as say, JHU has.
  • Overall I would say the program is great for people with more experience and and busy schedules who want more of a managerial/leadership perspective. They seem to be very flexible to accommodate work schedules.
  • I think it is a nice blend of in-person and synchronous while not being too onerous.
  • I view it as unique in that it is somewhat replicating executive MBA programs for more experienced people who are working full-time.
I hope this helps!
Thank You so much; I saw the lectures as well. I does appear more oriented to Executive and Management style MPH. Would love to hear also from people who may have gone to the program but I know that it is only its 2nd year. I was wondering if Alumni panel was useful? Were you able to attend.

Thanks Again

Has anyone applied yet this year? Is it true that application processing can take 6-8 weeks on SOPHAS?
I applied to Dartmouth in March and had a phone interview this week.
How quickly do find out if you got in or not?

Accepted Yale EMPH; Would love to hear anyone else who is attending and also where everyone decided to go.