MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad: Ohio State University
GPA: 3.61
Major/Minor: Medical Dietetics
GRE: V-159 Q-157, W-4.5

Registered Dietitian with experience in healthcare management, acute care, long term care, food service, neighborhood health, and employee wellness.
Currently a manager for a non-profit healthcare organization.

Applied: SLU, Missouri, Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, UIC
Interview: SLU (2/6), Missouri (2/4)
Accepted: UIC, SLU (2/6) with GRA, Columbia (2/11), Missouri (2/12) with GRA,
I Declined The Interview For Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I received a message saying Missouri and Cornell have received my application material through HAMPCAS. Any ideas on when I should expect to hear back?
I submitted directly to Missouri via its portal on November 2nd. On or about December 11th they told me they wanted to interview.

I interviewed with them on January 8th and was told I could expect to hear something in 1-2 weeks. No word as of yet. A full description of the interview can be found further up on this thread...

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad: Ohio State University
GPA: 3.61
Major/Minor: Medical Dietetics
GRE: V-159 Q-157, W-4.5

Registered Dietitian with experience in healthcare management, acute care, long term care, food service, neighborhood health, and employee wellness.
Currently a manager for a non-profit healthcare organization.

Applied: SLU, Missouri, Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, UIC
Interview: SLU (2/6)
Accepted: UIC

I received a message saying Missouri and Cornell have received my application material through HAMPCAS. Any ideas on when I should expect to hear back?

Almost all the university notify that they take approximately 4-6 weeks to send out decisions...But, there is usually a couple weeks of lag time after you submit the application.

I've been looking through this threaded and it looks like only one person has applied to the University of Pittsburgh. Was curious if others have. Thanks

Did anyone take the GMAT instead of the GRE for MHA programs?

I received notice this morning that my SOPHAS app has been verified. One my LoR's still hasn't uploaded the letter but I expect it will be done this week. I used SOPHAS to apply to U of Michigan and GW. How long after verification did you guys start hearing back from programs?
I submitted my apps sometime early November (around the 10th) and interviewed with GW ..dec 5

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back from GWU MHA program? And did any of you interview on site or visit DC?

Any new acceptances from JHU? I submitted in October end and haven't heard back yet. Had a word with Gilbert Morgan in the HPM dept., according to him they'll be sending out decisions from mid to late feb.

alot of us heard back from JHU near the 12/19 date, just gotta wait it out i guess

Got my first rejection.... and that's from UMich...one of my top choices...now waiting anxiously to hear back POSITIVELY from JHU, UNC and UM....:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone,

I've been following this thread pretty closely (I've also read through the previous year's thread), and I finally decided to create an account and post for myself.

It seems like the most reputable rankings for MHA programs come from the U.S. World News & Report. As we know, many of the big name schools (i.e. Hopkins, Cornell, & Columbia) are ranked lower than lesser-known schools that boast high-ranked programs (i.e. Minnesota, VCU). I've received interviews for every school I've applied to except Michigan (still pending): JHU (accepted), Ohio State, VCU, Columbia, Cornell, Minnesota. I've begun deliberating some of my options (assuming my interviews go well), and I've struggled to figure out the brand vs. program rank dilemma. Hopkins undoubtedly has the most reputable name is medicine and health care, although its rank is 11 (granted, these rankings were last updated in 2011 and may have changed). I've done research on all the programs (curriculum, placement trends, etc.), and although some schools have more comprehensive curricula, I'm convinced that a school like Hopkins has tremendous networking potential with the best of the best across the country.

I was curious to see what your guys' thoughts were on my assessment.

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding the schools I've mentioned, I'd be happy to help!

Hey Everyone,

I've been following this thread pretty closely (I've also read through the previous year's thread), and I finally decided to create an account and post for myself.

It seems like the most reputable rankings for MHA programs come from the U.S. World News & Report. As we know, many of the big name schools (i.e. Hopkins, Cornell, & Columbia) are ranked lower than lesser-known schools that boast high-ranked programs (i.e. Minnesota, VCU). I've received interviews for every school I've applied to except Michigan (still pending): JHU (accepted), Ohio State, VCU, Columbia, Cornell, Minnesota. I've begun deliberating some of my options (assuming my interviews go well), and I've struggled to figure out the brand vs. program rank dilemma. Hopkins undoubtedly has the most reputable name is medicine and health care, although its rank is 11 (granted, these rankings were last updated in 2011 and may have changed). I've done research on all the programs (curriculum, placement trends, etc.), and although some schools have more comprehensive curricula, I'm convinced that a school like Hopkins has tremendous networking potential with the best of the best across the country.

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding the schools I've mentioned, I'd be happy to help!

Can you tell me about your experience at the OSU interview? What activities did they have, and what questions they asked?

And I think big name schools are better regardless of ranking and they have a big name for a reason.
I went to a good, big public school for undergrad, and I didn't get any benefit through networking/alumni, neither did my friends. I was hung up on rankings when I chose my school, but now, I, and everyone I've talked to, think ranking is completely useless. Some schools may not have the best curriculum, but their network makes it worth the tuition, where as schools that lack employment opportunities are not worth the money even they have the best books. We, or most of us, study for a better job after all.

(Just a my own opinion based on what I experienced, some people may have different experiences
and I'm happy to hear. ) :)

Don't worry not everyone is going to get in to every school. Good luck. Congrats on Tulane, that school has a good alumni connection. Their placement is really good. I dont mean to stereotype international applicants, but if you dont get into the #1 ranked school, it is not the end of the world. You will end up with similar job prospects at Tulane. Just to compare, I have friends who attended unheard of / unranked regional CAHME MHA programs, and they were able to get fellowships at a regional community hospital (mind you fellowship placement was low overall for his class, but it did happen, so it is possible), if that is possible at a unheard of / unranked program, attending Tulane will be like Harvard lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, what are you saying is absolutely correct...no problems with Tulane as they are providing job opportunities to international and local students...along with that their placement ratio is very good...but, when u have ur heart set on a particular thing, it is difficult to accept rejection initially...dat's d case here...hoping for the best now...good luck to all...!!!

Hey Everyone,

Hi...!!!

When did you apply to all these schools? When was ur JHU interview and how was it?

Would you plz share ur academic stats and work experience n all?

Hey Everyone,

I did a lot of research on the specifics of various MHA programs but also considered a number of other factors. These included cost of living, overall reputation of the schools, their national profile/alumni network, regional culture (Southeast vs. Midwest vs. East/West Coast etc.), and finally, athletics.

I also factored in enrollment size. I like the diversity that comes with big schools. I would get bored seeing the same people every time I make my way across campus. I get a kick out of hearing a variety of languages spoken in the common areas.

The local social scene is important too. I like great college towns that my wife and I can explore and enjoy with my classmates when we're looking to unwind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had my interview at GW last week and they told me that I'll hear back in two weeks. My mom kept telling me to call the interviewer and check my status and express how much I like the program.

Should I do that though? Anyone had experience in calling back after the interview??

Send an email thank you note as soon as possible.

Do not call, and do not send a handwritten note (which seems to be on every job interview tips site in the world). Both are childish and a waste of time for the interviewer.

Applying last minute to JHU. I spent all of last semester preparing to take the LSAT and I am still considering law school. I took my GRE today with very little preparation and my quantitative score isn't great. Do you guys think I could still have a chance at JHU? I should have solid letters of rec, and have had significant experience for someone coming straight from undergrad.

Send an email thank you note as soon as possible.

Do not call, and do not send a handwritten note (which seems to be on every job interview tips site in the world). Both are childish and a waste of time for the interviewer.

Hi, thanks for answering. I agree with you! I did send a thank you email to the interviewer, one other faculty I met, and the student I met. The faculty and the student replied me but the interviewer didn't... :(

Did anyone apply to VCU & University of Washington and hear back ?

Undergrad School: Top 5 public university
Undergrad GPA: 3.34 (3.41 Sophas)
Major/Minor: Physiology / Philosophy
GMAT: 650 (34V, 47Q, 5W, 8IR)

Works at highly ranked hospital system for ~2 yrs as admin support. Also helps with QI projects. Taken HPM and lean classes. Has leadership experience in nonprofit for last 4 years. Was heavily involved in community health organization throughout undergrad

Applied: UW (11/3), U SoCal (12/15), UMN (12/17), UMich (12/17), JHU (late dec), BU MBA/MPH (1/7/15, 12/17)
Interviewed: UW (Dec), BU (Jan), JHU (Phone in Jan), UMN (Feb), UMich (Feb)
Accepted: UW, JHU, USC, BU MBA/MPH, UMN, UMich
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending: JHU

Last edited:
Did anyone take the GMAT instead of the GRE for MHA programs?
I took GMAT instead of GRE. Wanted to keep my options open for MBA programs. Didn't end up applying to any GMAT-required MBA programs but I still preferred the test style over GRE.

Have any international students heard back from Hopkins? just trying to find some hope :p

Hi...!!!

When did you apply to all these schools? When was ur JHU interview and how was it?

Would you plz share ur academic stats and work experience n all?

Stats: Top 5 Public University with a science background, 3.7 GPA, 160/160 GRE, hospital experience throughout undergrad, amongst many other extracurriculars.

The interview was what you would typically expect: why school X, why an MHA, what can you bring to the table, etc. Only lasted about 20 minutes.

Any of the schools you mentioned are fine, they are all well known and have good alumni networks. Personally I would pick the one that is cheapest for tuition, then go down the list by weather, cost of living, social scene, etc. I have spoken to alumni from all the schools you mentioned on reddit, linkedin, or email, and almost all of them ended up in the same position as far as jobs post graduation, well known hospital fellowships or well known consulting firms. They made a point to say it really didn't make any difference what school u went to in the long run, especially concerning salary, as long as they had good placement percentages and strong alumni network (which applies to all the schools you mentioned). The name brand recognition is greatly exaggerated for graduate programs, that type of thing is of utmost importance at law and mba programs (where u might not get a decent job or even a job offer unless u went to a top 10-20 program). In the end you will have to network wherever you go. The US new rankings are based of faculty surveys that only one 5 point scale system, none of which are required to include, GPA, GRE/GMAT, job placement, or any other relevant factors (PROOF at the end). There are many employers who do not even look at rankings, the US news is mainly a beauty contest to get more people to apply to that specific college. Its hard to think about it like that, but its really the truth. Google US news rankings for college criticism, and youll see what im talking about. I am not implying that it does not matter what program u attend, but some people are under the impression that if they do not get into UMich, UMinn, or UNC Chapel, that you will have piss poor job prospects, which is not the case at all.

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys."

"Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear in the rankings."

link

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...3/10/methodology-best-health-schools-rankings

I read up on the ranking methodology and saw the same flaws as you pointed out. Thanks for the comprehensive response– much appreciated!

Did anyone apply to VCU & University of Washington and hear back ?
Washington (from what I know) establishes their class pretty early on. After final decisions are made in December, scholarships are assigned, and that seems to mark the end of the cycle, barring a deficit in enrollees (unlikely). I received an interview offer from VCU but declined.

Has anyone applied to OSU and not received interview invitation yet?
I'm wondering if I'm the last group...

I just received a call from Missouri's recruiting/admissions coordinator. She told me I have been accepted and will soon be receiving an offer letter via e-mail. The timeline and my interview experience can be found further up the thread.

Last edited:
Has anyone applied to OSU and not received interview invitation yet?
I'm wondering if I'm the last group...
My application has been complete for almost 3 months now. They emailed me and said the process is normally 3 weeks max, but I still haven't heard anything either way. I'm assuming I'm not a first choice, and they're just keeping it on hold or something of that nature.

My application has been complete for almost 3 months now. They emailed me and said the process is normally 3 weeks max, but I still haven't heard anything either way. I'm assuming I'm not a first choice, and they're just keeping it on hold or something of that nature.

So you completed your application in November? My application was completed in mid-December. Anyway, good luck!
Did you go to undergrad at OSU? How do you like Columbus?
I heard it's harder to get accepted into grad at the same school you went to for undergrad...I didn't even bother to apply my school, lol

Has anyone heard back from GWU MHA program? And did any of you interview on site or visit DC?
I interviewed on the 15th and haven't heard back as of yet. I interviewed with Dr. Anderson. I asked when to expect an answer and he said I should hear back by 2 weeks as they have a rolling admissions process. Hope this helps.

Hey Everyone,

Hi, I was just curious regarding the timeline from when you interviewed with Hopkins and when you heard back. Thanks.

To update my initial post:

Undergrad School: M.D. from abroad
Undergrad GPA: 3.96 as calculated by WES
GRE: V 158, Q 160, AW 5.5
Applied: 11/24 to U of Michigan, GW, VCU, Hopkins. 12/9 George Mason U
Interviews: GWU (Invited 12/17, Interviewed 1/15) UMich (Invited 1/14) Hopkins (Invited 1/23)

I interviewed on the 15th and haven't heard back as of yet. I interviewed with Dr. Anderson. I asked when to expect an answer and he said I should hear back by 2 weeks as they have a rolling admissions process. Hope this helps.

Dec 15th or January 15th? I interviewed with him Dec 5th and he also told me that I'd hear back from them in 2 weeks. I kept following up with them and finally got an acceptance letter on the 9th of this month. Did u do ur interview over skype or in person? and is GW your first choice?

I just received a call from Missouri's recruiting/admissions coordinator. She told me I have been accepted and will soon be receiving an offer letter via e-mail. The timeline and my interview experience can be found further up the thread.
This is my first time posting on here but I have been following for a while. I was also accepted to Mizzou for Fall 2015. Did you receive any information regarding financial aid and/or when you need to make your decision? When I was accepted to the University of Utah they sent me a packet that contained financial aid information among other things.

Dec 15th or January 15th? I interviewed with him Dec 5th and he also told me that I'd hear back from them in 2 weeks. I kept following up with them and finally got an acceptance letter on the 9th of this month. Did u do ur interview over skype or in person? and is GW your first choice?

How did you follow up? And who did you contact?

Thanks

I interivewed with them January 15th. I did my interview in person. I'm not really sure which university is my first choice, but I already live in the DC area so it would be convenient.
Wow you had a huge lag between interview and hearing back. I'm going to wait until it's officially been 2 weeks and then I'll follow up.

I interivewed with them January 15th. I did my interview in person. I'm not really sure which university is my first choice, but I already live in the DC area so it would be convenient.
Wow you had a huge lag between interview and hearing back. I'm going to wait until it's officially been 2 weeks and then I'll follow up.
Can you give any insight on the campus/D.C? Is the campus big ...do u like it...ect? How do you like DC and living there? Im from the west coast and have never really been out there.