Miami Children's vs Jackson Memorial Peds programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kritikopoula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who interviewed or is a resident at either of these programs give me some insight? I will be a rather competitive peds applicant next year and my SO just matched for his dental speciality residency in the area. Any information will help!

Members don't see this ad.

I was disappointed in my MC interview 2 years ago. We had 30 some applicants and only 1 resident showed for the interview dinner. This sort of set the stage for the entire interview process as none of the residents seemed very enthusiastic about dealing with applicants. Further, the residents I was able to converse with seemed burned out and no matter how hard I tried to help them along, they couldn't muster up much positive things to say about the program. They were all pretty much "meh" on the subject. My breaking point came when I inquired about research opportunity at MC- as the website was pushing the hard translational research sell- but I was met with "if you are interested in research, you probably shouldn't come here." Anyways, I acknowledge that my experience may have just been an exception and not a rule (or maybe I just rubbed them the wrong way). I would comment more on my attending experiences but I will be the first to admit that my interviewers were all last minute fill ins that day and should not be weighted in this discussion. Long story short, I didn't even rank them when submitting my match list and I affectionately refer to it as the weekend I spent $400 to enjoy dinner at a cuban resteraunt and follow it up with a viewing of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

All in all, extremely large program, all subspecialties covered with fellows, and a very large spanish speaking population. I was told that if I didnt know spanish when I arrived, I would sure know it by the end of my residency.

To follow up with Freezer- I recently interviewed there this year. The program had done away with the 'night before dinner' and instead taken us out to a very nice (and very expensive!) lunch the day of the interview. They told us they had gotten bad feedback about those dinners so just cancelled them. I was kind of relieved because these dinners can be painfully awkward some times. My interview day only had 9 applicants...so already a little different from Freezer's.
Facilities-wise, the hospital was a bit older than some other programs I had seen but it appeared that they had a lot of ongoing construction to update some of the facilities. They added a brand new section to the ER, and they were also finishing up a brand new building for critical care and HemOnc only. And as some one interested in ICU, I was excited.
Faculty-wise, the PD is a very sweet and kind lady. The other faculty members I met with were nice too, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Residents, we only really met 4 residents (and this included 2 of the chief residents) which was kind of disappointing. The Chiefs were friendly as were the residents, again nothing out of the ordinary.
It does seem like they see a large volume of patients and they did emphasize working hard while in residency, but to me, that's a good thing. They also emphasized camaraderie among the residents saying a lot of people come to Miami without any ties to the area and 'find a family among their residents' which was also nice to hear.
Knowing Spanish isn't a requirement to Matching to MC, but as Freezer said, after 3 years you'll definitely become more fluent in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
guys, does anyone have a clue what is the average USMLE scores for the applicants invited for an interview/residents at Miami Children's ?

May not be relevant to anyone here, but if you are interested in South Florida, Broward Health Medical Center just became ACGME accredited this year. It's a 4 year old peds residency program that was accredited by the AOA, but with the merger, they now have dual accreditation. They're going through both matches this year but next year will be through NMS only. It's a small program (8 residents per year), but I think it packs a powerful punch. The website is truly awful though; unfortunately, it doesn't have much info on the program.

May not be relevant to anyone here, but if you are interested in South Florida, Broward Health Medical Center just became ACGME accredited this year. It's a 4 year old peds residency program that was accredited by the AOA, but with the merger, they now have dual accreditation. They're going through both matches this year but next year will be through NMS only. It's a small program (8 residents per year), but I think it packs a powerful punch. The website is truly awful though; unfortunately, it doesn't have much info on the program.
So next year they're still going to be DO only, even though they are ACGME accredited? Or did you mean NRMP?

Last edited:
Sorry, I mistyped. Yes, I meant the NRMP match next year. Thank you for pointing out the error:)

Sorry, I mistyped. Yes, I meant the NRMP match next year. Thank you for pointing out the error:)

Hopefully all the newly ACGME, former AOA programs, across all specialties, follow their lead. It'll make things much easier for those of us going through the match next year. Even the AOA has encouraged it!