This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Radiologyreviews2015

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I definitely want to do IR. Top 10 DR vs Top 5 DR. Ann Arbor vs Baltimore. Clinical pathway with surgery heavy intern year but resulting in great clinical interventionalist vs Cusher intern year, less surgery/IR months but still a good interventionalist. Guaranteed IR and DR training vs DR training and probably guaranteed IR fellowship/ESIR.

I can only rank one program #1.
 
I'm not applying IR, but if I was I think I'd take the guarantee. Ranking you radiology training based on how cushy your intern year is/isn't seems like a bad idea. It's one (relatively inconsequential) year of your career.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Michigan is slowly becoming an IR training powerhouse. They have developed a well integrated IR pathway modeling the UVA pathway. They cover the breadth of pathology including vascular disease (complex PAD and aortic interventions (including TEVAR and fenestrations ) and this is an important skill set that Johns Hopkins currently does not provide. So, if you are certain you want to do IR and geography is not an issue , you can not go wrong going to U of Michigan and getting trained by the likes of Dr. Saad, Dr. Disika and Dr. Williams.
 
I definitely want to do IR. Top 10 DR vs Top 5 DR. Ann Arbor vs Baltimore. Clinical pathway with surgery heavy intern year but resulting in great clinical interventionalist vs Cusher intern year, less surgery/IR months but still a good interventionalist. Guaranteed IR and DR training vs DR training and probably guaranteed IR fellowship/ESIR.

I can only rank one program #1.

I don't know about Hopkins bc I didn't interview there, but most of the DR folks at Michigan stand all day at standing desks. Good culture that preps you for IR, haha.